PDA

View Full Version : Football In Charlotte

Rekdiver
September 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
UNCC will get football in 2013 recommends Chancellor.

www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2008/09/15/

AppAlum2003
September 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM
As crazy as Charlotte is about high school football, I think the city will more than embrace a football team at UNC-C. This is nothing but bad for teams like Appalachian, Elon, and Western.

ASUG8
September 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
It's arrogant for them to believe they can make the jump to FBS 4 yrs after inception of the program. It will take them 10-15 yrs. just to establish decent recruiting.

danefan
September 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Updated link:
http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2008/09/15/daily49.html?surround=lfn&brthrs=1

bostonspider
September 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Why is it arrogant?? Is that not exactly what USF did? First season in I-AA in 1997, first season as an independent in I-A in 2001, C-USA in 2003 and Big East in 2005. Granted, that was a pretty incredible rise, but it is doable, and I think they should seriously consider playing at BofA, like GSU is at the Georgia Dome. I could see them quickly gaining entry into C-USA, as they are a former member and would be a good rival for Memphis and ECU

danefan
September 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
They're not going to FBS with this:

Plans call for eventually playing in a 12,000-seat on-campus stadium

smallcollegefbfan
September 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Agreed on that. They should focus on being a solid FCS team and filling up that 12k stadium before they even think they can expand to 15-20k and become FBS.

ChickenMan
September 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Where will they look for football league membership? Not the CAA.. the last thing the CAA needs is another member.. how about the SoCon.. seems like that might be a good fit.

danefan
September 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Where will they look for football league membership? Not the CAA.. the last thing the CAA needs is another member.. how about the SoCon.. seems like that might be a good fit.

I disagree. The CAA needs two more members. Charlotte and Albany.xrolleyesx xrolleyesx :D :D :D xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Its only 8 in each division. What's two more?

ASUG8
September 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Why is it arrogant?? Is that not exactly what USF did? First season in I-AA in 1997, first season as an independent in I-A in 2001, C-USA in 2003 and Big East in 2005. Granted, that was a pretty incredible rise, but it is doable, and I think they should seriously consider playing at BofA, like GSU is at the Georgia Dome. I could see them quickly gaining entry into C-USA, as they are a former member and would be a good rival for Memphis and ECU

Think about how long it takes to become an established program in any division. You have to get the right staffing, facilities, recruiting program, etc. in order to even field a team. Plus, UNCC is still kind of a commuter college (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so football would have to be decent to keep students on campus. I'm not saying it's impossible, but living in NC most of my life and watching UNCC try to break away from the UNC system and just become Charlotte has been interesting. Charlotte (city and university) is growing so fast that they believe they should be like Cincinnati and not part of the UNC system of campuses. Time will tell, but I would predict a VERY rough decade in getting a decent program established in FBS. My xtwocentsx

ElonFirefighter
September 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
This will hurt lots of socon teams with UNC Charlotte taken a majority of the areas recruits. Charlotte is a power house of HS teams. As far as branching out goes it will only hurt App State. The News here loves App but gives little love to the other SoCon Football schools.

Tod
September 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM

You beat me to it.

ERASU2113
September 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM
If they had told the SoCon before Samford joined...maybe they would have been offered a spot eventually. That's not gonna happen though. I don 't see them joining the SoCon more likely join the Big South or something.

appstate38
September 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
This will hurt lots of socon teams with UNC Charlotte taken a majority of the areas recruits. Charlotte is a power house of HS teams. As far as branching out goes it will only hurt App State. The News here loves App but gives little love to the other SoCon Football schools.

Well I guess we will just have to maintain that winning tradition so that we will be able to draw upon some of the finer athletes in the Charlotte area.xsmiley_wix

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM
This reminds me a little of the reactions in VA about ODU starting back up. The big difference is the Charlotte market and how it can be leveraged like USF in Tampa and perhaps GSU (that is, Georgia State) in Atlanta.

I'm sure many ASU fans will tell you that certain players will always choose ASU over UNCC, just as many JMU fans claim that certain players will always choose JMU over ODU. It's one of the those urban vs. rural campus things I guess...

DetroitFlyer
September 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
And how many schools in FCS have 35,000 students? They will start out as an FCS program, but ultimately, I have to believe that they belong in FBS.... The LAST thing we need is another FBS wannabee program in FCS....xnodx

89Hen
September 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Why is it arrogant?? Is that not exactly what USF did? First season in I-AA in 1997, first season as an independent in I-A in 2001, C-USA in 2003 and Big East in 2005. Granted, that was a pretty incredible rise, but it is doable

Think about how long it takes to become an established program in any division. You have to get the right staffing, facilities, recruiting program, etc. in order to even field a team.
There were two more teams who did it even more recently. One of them made the I-AA playoffs in their third year in existance and has already played in a bowl game.

http://www.cobrabrigade.com/photos/Florida_Atlantic_University_op_800x578.jpg
http://www.u-paa.com/logos/FIU_logo.gif

Sir William
September 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
App State is the only current FCS team which will be adversely affected recruiting-wise in 2016 by the startup of Charlotte. And that's because in 2016, when Charlotte jumps to FBS, App will have already been there for a couple of years.

Looking ahead to the future...I see a conference including Charlotte, East Carolina, Marshall, and App State.

89Hen
September 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Looking ahead to the future...I see a conference including Charlotte, East Carolina, Marshall, and App State.
Can we move this to the smack board so I can comment on that? xsmiley_wix

Sir William
September 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Can we move this to the smack board so I can comment on that? xsmiley_wix

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BearsCountry
September 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It's arrogant for them to believe they can make the jump to FBS 4 yrs after inception of the program. It will take them 10-15 yrs. just to establish decent recruiting.

Like South Alabama is doing and Florida Atlantic and Florida International have done before them.

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM

100% False. Coastal Carolina is in like its 6th year of FB-- they have made the FCS playoffs. The list goes on with teams like USF, UCF, FIU, FAU, and ODU and Georgia State coming soon. Just look at what Georgia Southern did within a decade of restarting their program.

kirkblitz
September 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
would be cool to have them in the big south, we've already got some other UNC extension schools. Whats another one?

youwouldno
September 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
North Carolina is over-saturated with college football. Basically there's a collective action problem at work-- it's in each program's individual interest to have a football program, but every new one (or expansion of an existing program), hurts the rest.

That's the problem for App St., in terms of their FBS hopes. The teams that moved up successfully had a recruiting base, or a slice of one anyway. South Florida was relatively open in terms of standard FBS talent... the big 3 Florida programs go for elite prospects mostly. In the case of Boise St., the West has far fewer D-I football programs.

That should always be the first question, with either starting a program or moving one up: where do the players come from? For the FCS level, I think UNC-C can answer that question, though for FBS I don't think so.

IndianaAppMan
September 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
North Carolina is over-saturated with college football. Basically there's a collective action problem at work-- it's in each program's individual interest to have a football program, but every new one (or expansion of an existing program), hurts the rest.

That's the problem for App St., in terms of their FBS hopes. The teams that moved up successfully had a recruiting base, or a slice of one anyway. South Florida was relatively open in terms of standard FBS talent... the big 3 Florida programs go for elite prospects mostly. In the case of Boise St., the West has far fewer D-I football programs.

That should always be the first question, with either starting a program or moving one up: where do the players come from? For the FCS level, I think UNC-C can answer that question, though for FBS I don't think so.

I don't think App has too much to worry about. The 30,000 people who are coming to games aren't going to suddenly abandon their ASU loyalty for UNCC. UNCC isn't going to be able to build all the new facilities ASU already has, nor will it be able to sell recruits on the winning tradition. Will ASU have a harder time recruiting in the Charlotte area? Sure, but let's not jump to crazy conclusions. Charlotte still has to get trustee approval and raise $45 million during one our country's worst economic times.

All the North Carolina FCS teams, just be happy for UNCC and don't worry about your team. If you have a good AD and coach, you have at least a five-year head start.

Seawolf97
September 18th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Besides the seating issue as already posted -money is the major blocking point. It sounds like they have very high hopes of raising that 45 million but not many backers. Considering financial environment today not too sure that 45 million will come easily.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Why would any FCS league bother to admit Charlotte if they publicly state that they're going FBS in four years? xconfusedx xconfusedx They're not dedicated to FCS so let them play as an Independent! xnodx Frankly, I don't even like a team in that situation getting a playoff bid!! xeekx It's not going to mean jack to them while some school who would truly relish the opportunity would stay home. xtwocentsx

IndianaAppMan
September 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Why would any FCS league bother to admit Charlotte if they publicly state that they're going FBS in four years? xconfusedx xconfusedx They're not dedicated to FCS so let them play as an Independent! xnodx Frankly, I don't even like a team in that situation getting a playoff bid!! xeekx It's not going to mean jack to them while some school who would truly relish the opportunity would stay home. xtwocentsx

Five years from now, if UNCC actually manages to raise the $45M and get their stuff together, they better know for certain when they want to go FBS. There's no way the SoCon or Big South are just going let themselves be used for UNCC's benefit alone. They'd be independent.

danefan
September 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Five years from now, if UNCC actually manages to raise the $45M and get their stuff together, they better know for certain when they want to go FBS. There's no way the SoCon or Big South are just going let themselves be used for UNCC's benefit alone. They'd be independent.

Big South will let just about anyone in if they need them bad enough. (See Stony Brook).

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I don't think App has too much to worry about.

All the North Carolina FCS teams, just be happy for UNCC and don't worry about your team. If you have a good AD and coach, you have at least a five-year head start.

Most kids want to leave the area they grew up in anyway..... I think UNCC will have some, but mosty a minor effect for many years......

AppNative
September 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Alright all - I know i post SO infrequently here that my input may be less than paramount, but as a North Carolinian for 43 of my 47 years, I have to say that I really don't give a rat's azz about UNC-Charlotte/Shmarlotte. This university and community ranks second only to UNC-Crap Hole (I can diss them all I want because I attended the Crap Hole as a Frosh) in its determination to be a major city wannabe. Yes, Charlotte has grown into a major banking/finance center, but outside of that industry, it remains a commuter city with NO soul or regional identity. Let them play footall wherever they want OUTSIDE OF 1-AA/Championship Sub-division. Regardless of starting division or conference, the jerks in this city will be claiming to be the next USC/OSU/UM etc. within 2 seasons of existence. I propose that ALL FCS conferences join together to ban UNCC membership.

Retro
September 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
One thing i don't understand... Why does it seem recently that so many programs that never had football or never supported football in the past want to bring it back now?

Do all of them see all this attention ESPN gives a handful of teams and think "Hey, that could be us"?xrolleyesx

I just don't see where the fans will come from as well as the consistent flow of money and support.. It doesn't matter how many students you have, they still have to show up to make an impact on attendance.. More and more states are cutting their funding to university athletics, thus putting more pressure on alumni and fans to foot the bill. xbawlingx

Then you have the U.S. economy in shambles with every other financial institution failing, oil prices doubled over the past few years, more traditional employers downsizing and all that leaves less expendible cash for people to throw around... With more companies moving overseas, expect less of the multi-million dollar donations that many colleges are used to getting.. :(
In addition you have over 120 FBS schools and 100+ FCS schools ( i can't keep track anymore), who knows what the Div I landscape will even look like 5 years from now! xoopsx

Schools like UNCC and Gonzaga should stick with Basketball and sports that define them and make them money instead of diverting it into what will be a money pit for years to come.xnonox

Jackman
September 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
In Charlotte's case, they were kicked out of the CUSA because they didn't have football, so they see football as a way to protect/support their basketball program.

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Looks like their fans will have the same attitude with football that they've developed with basketball.....

from the 49er board....

"Sept 18, The day Charlotte decided it was no one's second fiddle, and the day that Wake Forest, UNC-CH, NCSU, ECU, and APP St. shudder as they realize a new super power was born"

They look to be headed straight for the Big South (like Mikey.... they'll take anyone for any length of time) xrotatehx xlolx

Sly Fox
September 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Easy now, The Cats. That league just handed you a loss on your home soil.

xrulesx

I don't get the hatred from some corners. We spend hours everyday bragging about the FCS experience and then when someone wants to join the fun we ridicule them?

As for them joining the Big South, it makes a great deal of sense as an associate member. They would be in long after the SBU contract runs out meaning they would have scheduling flexibility to play the big boys.

The Cats
September 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM

And what has that to do with my post? ...and the league had nothing to do with it.... Liberty won, despite being a member of that conference (also, a #25 ranked team should have ran over an unranked football team that was 1-10 in 2007 ---- and what was that winning margin again ????? Oh yeah, I remember.... a field goal.... 3 points)

Anyway....... Everything I wrote IS true.

#1 - you must not have ever posted on the niner board (or you'd know what hatred is).

#2 - the Big South does have a history of taking in anyone that plays football at the FCS level, regardless of the distance from the “normal” geographic footprint of the conference or the number of years they say they will commit to be members.

#3 - if you think their fans diss the A-10 in basketball, just wait till they arrive as an associate member of the Big South.... xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASUG8
September 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
100% False. Coastal Carolina is in like its 6th year of FB-- they have made the FCS playoffs. The list goes on with teams like USF, UCF, FIU, FAU, and ODU and Georgia State coming soon. Just look at what Georgia Southern did within a decade of restarting their program.

They can jump to FBS if they want, no problem- all it takes is $. Remember how dominant the Marshall Thundering Herd was in the Socon? They had a long history here, jumped to FBS, and blended into the wallpaper since. For every USF there are a couple of Marshall's. My point is that UNCC will be a FBS whipping boy for a few years before they get their program established, which I don't think is far off what you're saying.

appfan2008
September 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I truly believe that UNCC was tired of watching the local news satellite trucks whiz past and head up the mountain to asu. Every night they turn on their tvs and watch the sports part of the local news and every night there is a story on ASU and who they are preparing for and who they just beat and they never mention UNCC. Jealousy is alive and well for a city that believes it is a major player in the major cities of this nation but they arent... no one will care any more about them when they have a football team than they do today...

Sir William
September 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM

It's one thing for the top team in the Big South to come to a bottom tier SoCon team's home field and post a win (no offense intended, Western).

I don't see that same Big South powerhouse coming into Paladin Stadium, Kidd Brewer, Paulson, Gibbs, or even Rhodes Stadium this year, and staying within 2 TDs at best.

I'm looking out my window, and no sign of pigs flying. Congrats to Liberty on their monumental win in Cullowhee. xrolleyesx

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Most kids want to leave the area they grew up in anyway..... I think UNCC will have some, but mosty a minor effect for many years......
I was thinking the same thing. How many of those good Charlotte HS prospects are going to want to stay in Charlotte? xeyebrowx

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM

I completely agree with you on this. Sure, a lot of kids are homebodies and will go to the local college in their town, but that's usually because of a) affordability (county population gets serious tuition discount) or b) something special is offered in the eyes of the prospective student. For example, lots of students from all the high schools in my hometown (Greenville, SC) went to Clemson because they "bleed orange." UNCC is much different among people in Charlotte. Students are more likely to "bleed Carolina blue" or "red & white" or they may be drawn to a private school or to a school away from city life to the serenity and outdoors lifestyle offered at Western & App. I, for one, was accepted to Clemson & the school I rooted for my whole life--Florida State--but chose App because of the smaller classes and awesome setting. Football players will continue seeing those same things at App, Western, Elon, etc., while UNCC is still scrambling to develop its personality--football team or not.

Also, it's nice to try modeling USF, but let's remember some things USF has had that UNCC does not. First, the beach. (Do you really think testosterone-filled 18-year-old football players don't think that is important?) Second, a coach not only extremely talented but also dedicated to stick with it from inception to Big East membership. Most good coaches would have jumped ship for higher-profile, better-paying jobs along the way. Third, USF has Raymond James, which is owned by the City of Tampa; as the article points out, BofA belongs to the Carolina Panthers themselves. Fourth, USF got started in the late 90's when the economy was booming. They had all the financial support they needed BEFORE the economy started taking its recent negative turn.

North Carolina FCS fans: don't panic. For one thing, that's exactly the reaction UNCC fans want, and for another, you have more than enough reasons not to.

ASUG8
September 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Maybe we could get someone in the state to play us now.....

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I was thinking the same thing. How many of those good Charlotte HS prospects are going to want to stay in Charlotte? xeyebrowx

Exactly. That strategy has worked very well over the years at the U of Miami, but UNCC does not offer the same kind of lifestyle that the Miami area does.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Maybe we could get someone in the state to play us now.....

xlolx

UNCC fans know that they're going to be on their hands and knees begging to play all of the FBS and FCS schools in the state. To be honest, I kind of hope their wishes are granted--so that they can get their arses handed to them.

This whole thing reminds me of something: Back in November of '02, UNCC came up to App, where we beat them in b-ball in a triple-OT thriller. We started chanting at their obnoxious fans, "We've got foot-ball" (clap, clap, clapclap, clap.) Then they came back with "One Double Aaay!" What a bunch of condescending rejects of NC State's engineering school. Boy, does that make me look forward to seeing them housed!

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Exactly. That strategy has worked very well over the years at the U of Miami, but UNCC does not offer the same kind of lifestyle that the Miami area does.

This post nominated for Understatement of the Year award.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Appstate29
September 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM
of course not, I grew up in South Charlotte, and most people don't even know that there is a UNCC. I myself was under the impression it was a community college (CC part) until junior year of high school when I started to do research on colleges. The majority of people who go to UNCC didn't get into anywhere else (except western), or are too much of pussies to go outside of their "home", and I think about 15% are straight commuters.

jcmanson
September 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm looking out my window, and no sign of pigs flying. Congrats to Liberty on their monumental win in Cullowhee. xrolleyesx

Whoever said it was "monumental"?

The Cats
September 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM
.... The majority of people who go to UNCC didn't get into anywhere else (except western),...........

Hey.... that was uncalled for..... kind of funny... but still uncalled for!!!!! xnonox xnonox xnonox

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hey.... that was uncalled for..... kind of funny... but still uncalled for!!!!! xnonox xnonox xnonox

don't worry... there are actually people at app who have an inferiority complex when they compare app to unc. someone from ASU's newspaper even wrote about this. i, for one, never saw App as a fallback school, so that stuff makes me sick...

now western would have been a fallback school xsmiley_wix ;) (I'm just messin w/ ya!)

WileECoyote06
September 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Doesn't matter. .. city kids love the city. Especially inner-city kids. The only true move-away cities in NC are Fayetteville and Winston-Salem. The other cities (Durham, Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington) have no problem keeping their young population in town.

I suspect the main reason many Charlotte football players were leaving for college was because they didn't have a school with viable football program.

JMHO though.

SuperJon
September 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Wow, a guy in Texas is talking smack to people in the Carolinas about something stupid. For some reason I'm not surprised.

The majority of people who go to UNCC didn't get into anywhere else (except western), or are too much of pussies to go outside of their "home", and I think about 15% are straight commuters.

I'm disagreeing with this. I'm from King, just north of Winston. A ton of people from my high school have been going to Charlotte every year the past 4-5 years. It's become the new ECU in terms of where most kids are going. The schools in NC (ASU, UNCC, UNCW, ECU) go in cycles in terms of what's the "popular" school for a graduating class to go to. In my little part of North Carolina, Charlotte has been the overwhelming "popular" school for quite a while now.

813Jag
September 19th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I completely agree with you on this. Sure, a lot of kids are homebodies and will go to the local college in their town, but that's usually because of a) affordability (county population gets serious tuition discount) or b) something special is offered in the eyes of the prospective student. For example, lots of students from all the high schools in my hometown (Greenville, SC) went to Clemson because they "bleed orange." UNCC is much different among people in Charlotte. Students are more likely to "bleed Carolina blue" or "red & white" or they may be drawn to a private school or to a school away from city life to the serenity and outdoors lifestyle offered at Western & App. I, for one, was accepted to Clemson & the school I rooted for my whole life--Florida State--but chose App because of the smaller classes and awesome setting. Football players will continue seeing those same things at App, Western, Elon, etc., while UNCC is still scrambling to develop its personality--football team or not.

Also, it's nice to try modeling USF, but let's remember some things USF has had that UNCC does not. First, the beach. (Do you really think testosterone-filled 18-year-old football players don't think that is important?) Second, a coach not only extremely talented but also dedicated to stick with it from inception to Big East membership. Most good coaches would have jumped ship for higher-profile, better-paying jobs along the way. Third, USF has Raymond James, which is owned by the City of Tampa; as the article points out, BofA belongs to the Carolina Panthers themselves. Fourth, USF got started in the late 90's when the economy was booming. They had all the financial support they needed BEFORE the economy started taking its recent negative turn.
North Carolina FCS fans: don't panic. For one thing, that's exactly the reaction UNCC fans want, and for another, you have more than enough reasons not to.
Just a couple of things on USF, the city of Tampa owns Ray J which gives them the right to basically give the stadium to the highest bidder. USF had to move a December home game due to discrepencies in the language of their contract with TSA (who are basically a bunch of thieves). Not to mention $20 parking and $8 beers. USF is still basically a commuter school, and the support for the program didn't really take off until after the West Virginia game. My wife worked at the Student Union and there wasn't alot of hype on campus even for homecoming.
Coach Leavitt is a good coach but he and his staff are underpaid compared to the rest of the BCS schools.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
The only true move-away cities in NC are Fayetteville and Winston-Salem. The other cities (Durham, Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington) have no problem keeping their young population in town.

What???

I know plenty of ASU grads who moved to Winston. Now Durham would be much more questionable.

Rekdiver
September 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
The long term goal is to move to FBS. They would like to do it in 4 years so 2017? Until they get facilities built that won't happen. If they would stay in a FCS conference they would be a great benefit because of the city of Charlotte. TV especially. Recruiting will siphon off kids that can go to a lot of NC SC and VA schools including FBS schools and a few Charlotte kids will go there but I don't see a huge recruiting impact verses any one school.

With their stated desire to move quickly to FBS I don't see the SoCon inviting them to join.....BUT you could see the beginnings of a new mid major FBS conference with UNCC, ASU, Marshall USF UCF maybe Georgia Southern....It would certaintly help basketball at these othe schools too.

They could play a couple of games in Panthers stadium.

It is nothing but beneficial to UNCC.

SuperJon
September 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
What???

I know plenty of ASU grads who moved to Winston. Now Durham would be much more questionable.

Yeah, Winston is a place that's starting to attract more and more younger people. They've been redoing downtown and made it a lot better. They have a new baseball stadium being built that should help with that as well. A lot of younger people are moving into Winston and middle age people are moving out to the suburbs of Winston. We've got neighborhoods going up like crazy and it's mainly from people in Winston moving up the road for lower taxes and that stuff.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
The long term goal is to move to FBS. They would like to do it in 4 years so 2017? Until they get facilities built that won't happen. If they would stay in a FCS conference they would be a great benefit because of the city of Charlotte. TV especially. Recruiting will siphon off kids that can go to a lot of NC SC and VA schools including FBS schools and a few Charlotte kids will go there but I don't see a huge recruiting impact verses any one school.

With their stated desire to move quickly to FBS I don't see the SoCon inviting them to join.....BUT you could see the beginnings of a new mid major FBS conference with UNCC, ASU, Marshall USF UCF maybe Georgia Southern....It would certaintly help basketball at these othe schools too.

They could play a couple of games in Panthers stadium.

It is nothing but beneficial to UNCC.

That sounds reasonable, except that there's no way USF leaves the Big East for that conference. Did you mean to mention ECU?

ronpayne
September 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Just a note: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/100/story/199771.html

Very good article - I couldn't get the first article linked to open, so not sure if it is the same story, but the UNCC Chancellor has 1) done his homework and 2) Clearly stated they have no immediate intentions to go I-A/FBS. Good luck the 49ers, maybe they, unlike the other North Carolina football teams (aside from conference foes) will be willing to play us in a home and home series.

Go Apps!

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
What???

Hey, now! Durham's a fine place for an ASU grad. xnodx

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, now! Durham's a fine place for an ASU grad. xnodx

For all the Durham residents out there, let me clarify what I meant.

Compared to Winston, Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, and (for that matter) Asheville, Durham doesn't quite offer the same for young people. The other cities have more lively downtowns, a higher percentage of people in their 20's, higher median incomes, and so forth. But that's not to be disrespectful to Durham. I'm just saying that there are a lot of great cities in North Carolina. Why else would the state's population be growing so much?

Durham would look like a bright shining light if you put it in the Rust Belt. It's startling how rough times are in many parts of the Midwest. One city in Indiana that has a large university and around 80,000 people has 13% unemployment and 33% poverty. It's pretty heartbreaking. Considering how much Durham is revitalizing, it still would be a fairly nice place to call home.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Just a note: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/100/story/199771.html

Very good article - I couldn't get the first article linked to open, so not sure if it is the same story, but the UNCC Chancellor has 1) done his homework and 2) Clearly stated they have no immediate intentions to go I-A/FBS. Good luck the 49ers, maybe they, unlike the other North Carolina football teams (aside from conference foes) will be willing to play us in a home and home series.

Go Apps!

That's a good article, and I agree with everything you said.

If they sincerely want to be in the FCS for a long time, I think they'd fit in well in the SoCon. Davidson-UNCC basketball games could be a big promotional opportunity, held at the Bobcats arena.

Judging by the article, the chancellor seems like he's doing what's best for the university. I still think they're setting themselves up for a major struggle, though. BofA and Wachovia are hitting rough times right now, and I'm sure many of their alumni are as well. It'll also be harder for students (or their possibly foreclosed parents) to afford huge fee hikes. xnonono2x

I'm just grateful that ASU is way ahead in the game in terms of facilities, alumni support, and tradition. xnodx

appfan2008
September 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
For all the Durham residents out there, let me clarify what I meant.

Compared to Winston, Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, and (for that matter) Asheville, Durham doesn't quite offer the same for young people. The other cities have more lively downtowns, a higher percentage of people in their 20's, higher median incomes, and so forth. But that's not to be disrespectful to Durham. I'm just saying that there are a lot of great cities in North Carolina. Why else would the state's population be growing so much?

Durham would look like a bright shining light if you put it in the Rust Belt. It's startling how rough times are in many parts of the Midwest. One city in Indiana that has a large university and around 80,000 people has 13% unemployment and 33% poverty. It's pretty heartbreaking. Considering how much Durham is revitalizing, it still would be a fairly nice place to call home.
I graduated from App in the spring and moved with my lovely bride to Durham... dont hate...

Franks Tanks
September 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
They can jump to FBS if they want, no problem- all it takes is $. Remember how dominant the Marshall Thundering Herd was in the Socon? They had a long history here, jumped to FBS, and blended into the wallpaper since. For every USF there are a couple of Marshall's. My point is that UNCC will be a FBS whipping boy for a few years before they get their program established, which I don't think is far off what you're saying.

They should be able to compete reasonably well in FCS in 5 years of startup no problem. FBS of course is a different animal and is highly contingent on what conference you're in. (at the time I wrote my original post I didnt believe they had FBS aspirations) If the get into conference USA or somthing they can do ok-- if they are stuck in the Sun Belt it may be a disaster.

Appstate29
September 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Wow, a guy in Texas is talking smack to people in the Carolinas about something stupid. For some reason I'm not surprised.

I'm disagreeing with this. I'm from King, just north of Winston. A ton of people from my high school have been going to Charlotte every year the past 4-5 years. It's become the new ECU in terms of where most kids are going. The schools in NC (ASU, UNCC, UNCW, ECU) go in cycles in terms of what's the "popular" school for a graduating class to go to. In my little part of North Carolina, Charlotte has been the overwhelming "popular" school for quite a while now.

I'm sure lots of people are disappointed. Charlotte is not a "traditional" city, and UNCC is not a "traditional" college. It may be popular at your school, but at my school, which is considered in the top 2 public schools in Charlotte, the overwhelming most popular schools are ASU, UNC, and NCSU. The vast majority of the top 15-20% of the graduating class go to these schools.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I graduated from App in the spring and moved with my lovely bride to Durham... dont hate...

Congratulations on your marriage...

Where did you get "don't hate" from. Did you not read what I read?

All I'm saying is that Durham doesn't quite measure up to the other cities I listed, in terms of appeal to young people, but that's only because there are so many great cities in NC. I WOULD LOVE TO LIVE IN DURHAM!

This is an extreme exaggeration, but here's what I'm saying: It's like going out with the seventh-place finisher at the beauty contest. It's still a great catch. I also said it's doing good revitalization efforts. As a future urban planner, what a great place to work it would be.

Go back and look at the context: Another user was saying that young people try to get away from Winston & Fayetteville, as opposed to Charlotte, G'boro, Durham, & Raleigh. I said that I thought Durham would be the one that would be more questionable in that group, not Winston. But again, Durham is right in the heart of where I'd love to be in a few years. I'm not hatin'.

SuperJon
September 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm sure lots of people are disappointed. Charlotte is not a "traditional" city, and UNCC is not a "traditional" college. It may be popular at your school, but at my school, which is considered in the top 2 public schools in Charlotte, the overwhelming most popular schools are ASU, UNC, and NCSU. The vast majority of the top 15-20% of the graduating class go to these schools.

That's why. People don't want to go to college at home. I live an hour and 45 minutes from Charlotte. Charlotte has plenty of things that we don't have. It's appealing to people not from Charlotte. People from a rural area don't get excited about a place like App or Western and the beauty of the mountains and outdoors and all of that because, well, we grew up with it. It's the same as when people from Charlotte don't get excited about going to college in Charlotte.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM

It probably just depends on where you're from. In Hendersonville over the past several years, App State's been the most common choice (behing community college), followed by State, UNC, and the rest fluctuates. In the eastern part of the state, there's probably more UNCW and ECU. App & Western will always be popular, though, because of their unique locations in the mountains. Schools with unique offerings will always be that way. in South Carolina, CofC (because of the beach & colonial city) and The Citadel (because of the tradition & discipline) will also always draw solid numbers of applications.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
That's why. People don't want to go to college at home. I live an hour and 45 minutes from Charlotte. Charlotte has plenty of things that we don't have. It's appealing to people not from Charlotte. People from a rural area don't get excited about a place like App or Western and the beauty of the mountains and outdoors and all of that because, well, we grew up with it. It's the same as when people from Charlotte don't get excited about going to college in Charlotte.

Of course, a lot of people like the idea of going to college close to home. About five or six students from my high school class in Greenville went to Furman, which is a lot considering the admission standards and the cost.

It just depends on the individual.

I was happy to go to a school about 3 hours away because it was just far enough. I don't think I'd have gotten the same great "away for college" experience at Furman or Clemson. FSU was another option, but at 18 years old, I wasn't ready to be 8 hours from home.

SuperJon
September 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I went to Coastal and then to Liberty, both were schools that no one at my high school had ever gone to. I liked that because I wanted to get away from everyone.

What am I saying?

Every kid is different and us trying to predict if their recruiting would work or not is just talk on a message board.

The Gadfly
September 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
See you in the Big South UNC-C.

ERASU2113
September 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
See you in the Big South UNC-C.

That's what I think too