PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Around FCS: Week Four Predictions

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Last week ASU's Coulson picks UMass over JMU 21-17. Now he picks ASU by double digits. Figures since he's such an ASU homer.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4180293

Keeper
September 18th, 2008, 05:02 AM
just wondering.......

are there any respected websites/columnists
predicting a JMU win this Saturday?

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM
just wondering.......

Well, I haven't seen one yet picking ASU, as Coulson isn't a respected website/columnist.xlolx

Besides Coulson picking ASU I'm sure there are others. Will be interesting to see how Bruce Dowd of CAA Today sees it. He did correctly pick JMU over UMass.

appst97
September 18th, 2008, 06:01 AM
At least Coulson gives Jacque Roman credit for forcing THE fumble....it seems most other publications, including DNR place the blame on sullivan as if it were an unforced error.

ASU88
September 18th, 2008, 06:16 AM
At least Coulson gives Jacque Roman credit for forcing THE fumble....it seems most other publications, including DNR place the blame on sullivan as if it were an unforced error.
I don't want to take credit away from Roman, but all the guy had to do was move to the middle of the field and fall down with the ball. The ONE THING he couldn't do was lose the ball, no matter the circumstances. And, of course, he lost the ball.

Not an unforced error, but an error for which there is no excuse.

Like running that play at all.

Like going for it on 4th.

My bet is if the game is tight they'll play it straight this time. xnodx
(Not exactly going out on a limb, I know)

bluehenbillk
September 18th, 2008, 06:48 AM
At least TSN is shaping up & getting their picks out in a more timely fashion.

appfan2008
September 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM
so what coulson picked app... he does that every week...

appfan2008
September 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM
not the asu/jmu game but all others involving caa teams have the caa team losing or closer than it should be... its like he has a grudge against the caa...

19Duke97
September 18th, 2008, 07:47 AM
not the asu/jmu game but all others involving caa teams have the caa team losing or closer than it should be... its like he has a grudge against the caa...

I was thinking the same thing. He seems to think highly of the SoCon, but not so much for the CAA. For goodness sake, he only picked UNH by 4 at home over Albany. The only semi blowout he had was VU over Penn...

appfan2008
September 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I was thinking the same thing. He seems to think highly of the SoCon, but not so much for the CAA. For goodness sake, he only picked UNH by 4 at home over Albany. The only semi blowout he had was VU over Penn...

That was the same game that caught my eye... UNH should blow out albany... I know that seems crazy to some insane albany fans on this site but face it UNH is better than you by a lot... also I think UD can come down south and beat FU but maybe I just dont like FU!

UNHWILDCATS05
September 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM
"last weeks 51-43 overtime win at Rhode Island "

??

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM

A couple of things I noted that are probably just paranoia. He noted GSU's struggle to win over "CAA member" Northeastern. You would think he would note that Northeastern is not exactly a top-tier CAA program.

Also, he didn't give JMU's rank. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt on this one and saying that this was an innocent omission.

appstate38
September 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Even though he made the homer pick. That score is probably pretty close. The difference will be which team has 42 and which one has 30.

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Even though he made the homer pick. That score is probably pretty close. The difference will be which team has 42 and which one has 30.

I agree. I don't think this one will be super close, but I don't think it will be a blowout. My score margin is 10-14...maybe even 17.

It just seems like both teams get "streaky" within the game and the streak that hits last will win.

93henfan
September 18th, 2008, 08:22 AM
its like he has a grudge against the caa...

Gee, ya think?xlolx

PTW16
September 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
The Bulldogs struggled to stop the run in their loss to Clemson, yielding 252 yards and five touchdowns via the ground after ranking third in the league in rush defense last fall.

As if facing Clemson's running game is a ho-hum, everyday thing that's no big deal...xcoffeex I think El Cid will have a better time stopping the run against teams that DON'T have Davis and Spiller...

Nebuta
September 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Well, I haven't seen one yet picking ASU, as Coulson isn't a respected website/columnist.xlolx

Besides Coulson picking ASU I'm sure there are others. Will be interesting to see how Bruce Dowd of CAA Today sees it. He did correctly pick JMU over UMass.

xlolx soooo true...xlolx

ASUMountaineer
September 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
That was the same game that caught my eye... UNH should blow out albany... I know that seems crazy to some insane albany fans on this site but face it UNH is better than you by a lot... also I think UD can come down south and beat FU but maybe I just dont like FU!

Wasn't there a lot of people saying that in regards to ASU vs. Michigan last year? Not to bring that game up again, but just saying...xwhistlex

danefan
September 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Hey don't blame someone else's pick on us. UNH should win by 2TDs.

Maybe Coulson sees something no one else does.:D

OL FU
September 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
. also I think UD can come down south and beat FU but maybe I just dont like FU!

It seems to me that a 21-20 pick for FU is showing that he thinks that is possible also. xrolleyesx

That pick says toss up and but I had to pick somebody.

OL FU
September 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I think the CAA games he has losing is JMU and UD. I will leave JMU to all you to discuss but my guess is he is going with the home field advantage on UD. By the way, even though I hate it, Sagarin has the game pretty much dead even.

As far as the rest of this, picking scores is almost an impossible task anyway.

Ivytalk
September 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm amazed at the flak Dave Coulson catches around here. His predictions look pretty good to me.xpeacex

smallcollegefbfan
September 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4180293

danefan
September 18th, 2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47780

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hey don't blame someone else's pick on us. UNH should win by 2TDs.

Maybe Coulson sees something no one else does.:D

You mean through his ASU covered goggles?

Wolfman
September 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Cal Poly will lose to Northwestern

DTSpider
September 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
"Appalachian State...faces its first real challenge in 2008."

I think that LSU would beg to differ.

SFspidur
September 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I've only read the Richmond preview, and I've already lost track of the errors. Let's see...

1. He says that the Spiders held the #2 position for five consecutive weeks back in 1985. No, it was the #1 position.

2. He says we lost to Virginia 17-0. It was 16-0.

3. He says we beat Towson 45-13. It was 45-14. (He did get it right in one place, but not everywhere.)

4. He says the Spiders picked off five Sean Schaefer passes. The Spiders picked off only four of his...the fifth was Peterson's.

5. He butchered Collin McConaghy's name..."Colin McNogahy".

I don't mean to be picky, but at least try to get things right. xrolleyesx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I think there would be a lot less disdain for Mr C if he were not a familiar poster. But many of us remember him well and his posts on here. That and continued slight errors leave us feeling like, "Well damn, any one of us fans could do his job." It's quite possible that if this were some random guy that was hired, no one would take issue with any of these issues, except for the obvious mistakes on scores, etc.

McNeese75
September 18th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Cal Poly will lose to Northwestern

I'm not so sure but if they do, they better thank their lucky stars the game last week game was cancelled xwhistlex

SunCoastBlueHen
September 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I think the CAA games he has losing is JMU and UD. I will leave JMU to all you to discuss but my guess is he is going with the home field advantage on UD. By the way, even though I hate it, Sagarin has the game pretty much dead even.

As far as the rest of this, picking scores is almost an impossible task anyway.

FWIW - evidently, whatever gambling line carries FCS games has Furman as a three point favorite.

This game is a flip of a coin as we really don't have much to gauge between the two teams. Should be a good one. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I've only read the Richmond preview, and I've already lost track of the errors. Let's see...

1. He says that the Spiders held the #2 position for five consecutive weeks back in 1985. No, it was the #1 position.

2. He says we lost to Virginia 17-0. It was 16-0.

3. He says we beat Towson 45-13. It was 45-14. (He did get it right in one place, but not everywhere.)

4. He says the Spiders picked off five Sean Schaefer passes. The Spiders picked off only four of his...the fifth was Peterson's.

5. He butchered Collin McConaghy's name..."Colin McNogahy".

I don't mean to be picky, but at least try to get things right. xrolleyesx

In Coulson's Week 3 predictions he listed the game as #7 UMass @ #7 JMU. He did get that corrected within about 24 hrs. Strike 1.

He listed the start at as 3 PM. It had been set at 3:30 for several months. Strike # 2.

"Despite each schools success over the past couple of seasons, it will mark the first meeting between the two teams since 2006, when UMass won a hard-fought 10-7 decision at McGuirk Stadium."

That game was in 2005, not 2006. Strike #3.

"Massachusetts 21, James Madison 17" Strike # 4.

Syntax Error
September 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM
...maybe write your own previews?

Anovafan
September 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I think there would be a lot less disdain for Mr C if he were not a familiar poster. But many of us remember him well and his posts on here. That and continued slight errors leave us feeling like, "Well damn, any one of us fans could do his job." It's quite possible that if this were some random guy that was hired, no one would take issue with any of these issues, except for the obvious mistakes on scores, etc.

Anyone of us could do his job, especially if it was our full time job.

danefan
September 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Anyone of us could do his job, especially if it was our full time job.

I think that's a bit of stretch. xreadx

The guy knows a lot about FCS football. More then I do, I can tell you that.

Each of us knows a lot about our respective conferences and teams.
That doesn't equate to being able to do it on a national level.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I agree danefan - was just pointing out how we often feel.

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
just wondering.......

Chuck Burton on CollegeSportingNews picked JMU 31-28 (Preview at very bottom of article):
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-where-have-all-the-great-gam&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Still waiting for Dowd's CAA Today weekly preview. Sometimes its a little late, but he usually does the beast one on the CAA I've seen.

psc2445
September 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Chuck Burton on CollegeSportingNews picked JMU 31-28 (Preview at very bottom of article):
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-where-have-all-the-great-gam&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Still waiting for Dowd's CAA Today weekly preview. Sometimes its a little late, but he usually does the beast one on the CAA I've seen.

Not trying to be a smart A$$, but wouldnt one think since it is CAA TODAY it would be the "best" one on CAA

bluehenbillk
September 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Actually I got a PM from Mr. C & he says he doesn't do the predictions. To his point it doesn't have his name on there, says an intern does them.

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
You're the 3rd person I've heard say they got a PM (including myself) on that matter. Why have an intern do the picks?

Grizaholic17
September 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I was surprised by the ASU/JMU score. I didn't think it would be that high scoring. Plus, i'm predicting JMU to do some damage.

BDKJMU
September 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM
"Massachusetts 21, James Madison 17"

"Appalachian State 42, James Madison 30"

xnonox xnonox xnonox

How bout some respect from TSN for JMU now.

Keeper
September 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowxxbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowxxbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowxxbowx