PDA

View Full Version : EWU is a top 3 team

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
As a Griz fan, who does not comply with the company line force-fed upon so many Griz posters by the sugar coaters, I am constantly told how little football I know.

Well, I am going to make a prediction in week 3 which will distinguish me as a true prognosticator.

I think that the EWU Eagles of the Pig Sty Conference are among the top 3 FCS teams in America. Furthermore, I believe that they will win the remainder of their games, and make it AT LEAST to the semis of the playoffs.

They are the most underrated team in America. If the QB is injured, my prediction will not happen. But, if he stays healthy the entire year, they will be in the final four, and perhaps even more!

Write it down.

WrenFGun
September 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I believe that Eastern Washington is the fifth most talented team in the country (behind only Appalachian State, Richmond, James Madison and Cal Poly) and have no problem with this assertion. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to to rank them that highly without wins to back them up.

montanafan
September 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
As a Griz fan, who does not comply with the company line force-fed upon so many Griz posters by the sugar coaters, I am constantly told how little football I know.

Well, I am going to make a prediction in week 3 which will distinguish me as a true prognosticator.

I think that the EWU Eagles of the Pig Sty Conference are among the top 3 FCS teams in America. Furthermore, I believe that they will win the remainder of their games, and make it AT LEAST to the semis of the playoffs.

They are the most underrated team in America. If the QB is injured, my prediction will not happen. But, if he stays healthy the entire year, they will be in the final four, and perhaps even more!

Write it down.

Hey wolfie, I agree. I think EWU will be a hard team to take down the rest of the year and myself I am more than a little scared of going over to Chenney to watch the game. Good thing I have a friend in Spokane and we will have a few beers before the end of the game to drowned out the pain.

Ronbo
September 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I believe that Eastern Washington is the fifth most talented team in the country (behind only Appalachian State, Richmond, James Madison and Cal Poly) and have no problem with this assertion. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to to rank them that highly without wins to back them up.

Having stars and great players is all well and good but I'll take depth and team play every time. It consistanly gets Montana in the playoffs and allows them to dominate their Conference.

We seldom have guys that get national accolades. We just have about 50 interchangable blue collar lunch box players that come to work, work together as a team, and get the ga'dam job done.:D

Eight Legger
September 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hey I had them ranked high before the season started when they had 0 wins, so I don't mind keeping them in my top 5 now. Now if they lose an FCS game, I will have to move them down.

putter
September 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I agree and most Griz fans put EWU on top of the Big Sky this year because of the team they had so your prediction is not stretching away from the "company line". xnodx

Wolfman
September 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I agree and most Griz fans put EWU on top of the Big Sky this year because of the team they had so your prediction is not stretching away from the "company line". xnodx

Oh come on, Putter, you know as well as I do that most of the Griz fans posting here think that Montana is a better team than EWU, and that the Griz will win in Cheyney.

I am saying that they will win all remaining regular season games, and progress at least to the semis. That is a more substantial prediction than just saying they may be the best Big Sky team.

Wolfman
September 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Having stars and great players is all well and good but I'll take depth and team play every time. It consistanly gets Montana in the playoffs and allows them to dominate their Conference.

We seldom have guys that get national accolades. We just have about 50 interchangable blue collar lunch box players that come to work, work together as a team, and get the ga'dam job done.:D

So, Kroy's national award was an mirage?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I agree in the sense that we have the potential to be a top 3 team, however it has yet to be seen on the field. Some would argue that our performance against the two Big 12 schools is plenty of evidence, but not until we handily beat teams like Montana and NAU will we know for sure. Before the year started, I said that if we hang 21+ on Tech, that we'd upset Colorado and go undefeated the rest of the year. We did, and we came damn close to.

It'll definitely be an interesting story to watch as the year progresses. With that, I can't wait until Saturday to attend the first home game of the year!!!

GO EAGLES

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
And it's Cheney, not Cheyney, Chenney, or Cheeney.

Ronbo
September 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
So, Kroy's national award was an mirage?

I said seldom, not never.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
And it's Cheney, not Cheyney, Chenney, or Cheeney.

How about Cheasy? ;) I think EWU has made some good steps and they have the potential to be a top team. But only time will tell, I want them to do well except for when they play the Griz of course.:D

putter
September 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Oh come on, Putter, you know as well as I do that most of the Griz fans posting here think that Montana is a better team than EWU, and that the Griz will win in Cheyney.

I am saying that they will win all remaining regular season games, and progress at least to the semis. That is a more substantial prediction than just saying they may be the best Big Sky team.

Very true and I agree that they have a team to go that deep. Historically the Griz have played the Eagles better in Cheney than in Missoula. At least he games have not been as close.

89Hen
September 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM
If I knew you better I'd make that wager.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Very true and I agree that they have a team to go that deep. Historically the Griz have played the Eagles better in Cheney than in Missoula. At least he games have not been as close.

In Missoula:
2007: 24-23 Griz (1)
2005: 34-20 EWU (14)
2003: 42-10 Griz (32)
2001: 29-26 Griz (3)
1999: 25-7 Griz (18)
1997: 40-35 EWU (5)
Avg. Margin: 12.16

In Cheney:
2006: 33-17 Griz (16)
2004: 31-28 Griz (3)
2002: 31-20 EWU (11)
2000: 41-31 Griz (10)
1998: 30-27 Griz (3)
1996: 34-30 Griz (4)
Avg. Margin: 7.83

So actually, not really. I'd say the scores have been consistently close other than the lopsided EWU loss in 2003. The score wasn't as close last year in Cheney because of very young team. Hell, we couldn't even beat D-II CWU at home that year. However in 2004 with Erik Meyer and crew it was a hell of a close game... would have gone to overtime had the Griz not blocked one of our FGs earlier in the game. The games in WA-Griz have been close in recent years because of the caliber team we bring in- 2005 was Meyer's senior year when he won he Walter Payton. Last year was a battle-tested Nichols (narrow loss, just like Meyer of 2004). Might be a jump, but I say Nichols' throws for 4 TDs and we rush for another and win by 14 again.

EWU 38 - 24 Griz

Grizaholic17
September 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I will agree that EWU is a great team. As for saying they are top 3 right now??? Not so sure. Granted they played two FBS teams tough and played them close, but who knows the skill of those teams or of EWU this early in the season. I look forward to watch them the next couple of weeks, but I will not jump to conclusions.

appfan2008
September 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
can always count on wolfman to shake things up!

Grizaholic17
September 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
can always count on wolfman to shake things up!

It's almost like special little sit down chats. "thoughts with wolfman"

http://bp0.blogger.com/_9JNANd1DYE8/R9RvgK1GRtI/AAAAAAAAAFc/F1q9tefhaCw/S1600-R/2+new+bright+and+fun.png

grizbeer
September 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
EWU have 4 wins in Missoula, 1 in Cheney, and 1 in Spokane since joining the BSC in 1987. In all time play the Eagles have only beaten Montana 1 time in Cheney (1991). I would agree with Putter, the Eags seem to play the Griz tougher in Missoula than Cheney.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I will agree that EWU is a great team. As for saying they are top 3 right now??? Not so sure. Granted they played two FBS teams tough and played them close, but who knows the skill of those teams or of EWU this early in the season. I look forward to watch them the next couple of weeks, but I will not jump to conclusions.

Colorado just upset #21 West Virginia last night, and is now 3-0.
Tech is currently #10 and also 3-0.

:D

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM
It's almost like special little sit down chats. "thoughts with wolfman"

http://bp0.blogger.com/_9JNANd1DYE8/R9RvgK1GRtI/AAAAAAAAAFc/F1q9tefhaCw/S1600-R/2+new+bright+and+fun.png

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
EWU have 4 wins in Missoula, 1 in Cheney, and 1 in Spokane since joining the BSC in 1987. In all time play the Eagles have only beaten Montana 1 time in Cheney (1991). I would agree with Putter, the Eags seem to play the Griz tougher in Missoula than Cheney.

So we're both right. The Griz might play EWU better in Cheney and have more wins there, but putter's comment about the games being closer in Missoula isn't exactly correct. We have more wins there, but the last 6 games have been closer on average in Cheney/Spokane.

MR. CHICKEN
September 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Write it down.

HAD DUH IGGLES......#DOS..(2).....IN MAH PRE-SEASON POLL....ONLY SQWAD TA SHOW UP...AGIN' APPALACHIAN STATE....(WHIFF DUH 'CEPTION O'....MICKEY'S MONKEYS....IN DUH TOURNEY...LAST SEASON........BRAWK!

grizbeer
September 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM
So we're both right. The Griz might play EWU better in Cheney and have more wins there, but putter's comment about the games being closer in Missoula isn't exactly correct. We have more wins there, but the last 6 games have been closer on average in Cheney/Spokane.Putter is just using Montana math, spotting 10 points to Griz for the mystique of WA-Griz - so a 1 point win in Cheney = 10 point win in Montana on the satisfaction/misery scale - sort of like a seasonally adjusted employment number. After the 10 point adjustment factor you can see how the score is closer in Missoula. xwhistlex

I would surely take a close Griz win in Cheney this year.

rcny46
September 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Who were The Eagles playing when the beheading shown in the photo took place? I'm really looking forward to seeing how EWU does when they start BSC play.I have to reluctantly admit that I watched the WVU-Colorado game last night and the fact that your guys led that team from Boulder until the end speaks volumes about their potential this year.Hope they have a great season.

Houndawg
September 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
In Missoula:
2007: 24-23 Griz (1)
2005: 34-20 EWU (14)
2003: 42-10 Griz (32)
2001: 29-26 Griz (3)
1999: 25-7 Griz (18)
1997: 40-35 EWU (5)
Avg. Margin: 12.16

In Cheney:
2006: 33-17 Griz (16)
2004: 31-28 Griz (3)
2002: 31-20 EWU (11)
2000: 41-31 Griz (10)
1998: 30-27 Griz (3)
1996: 34-30 Griz (4)
Avg. Margin: 7.83

So actually, not really. I'd say the scores have been consistently close other than the lopsided EWU loss in 2003. The score wasn't as close last year in Cheney because of very young team. Hell, we couldn't even beat D-II CWU at home that year. However in 2004 with Erik Meyer and crew it was a hell of a close game... would have gone to overtime had the Griz not blocked one of our FGs earlier in the game. The games in WA-Griz have been close in recent years because of the caliber team we bring in- 2005 was Meyer's senior year when he won he Walter Payton. Last year was a battle-tested Nichols (narrow loss, just like Meyer of 2004). Might be a jump, but I say Nichols' throws for 4 TDs and we rush for another and win by 14 again.

EWU 38 - 24 Griz

I was at the playoff vs SIU game where Meyer outdueled Brandon Jacobs in the first round. He played a hell of a game, what's he doing now?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Who were The Eagles playing when the beheading shown in the photo took place? I'm really looking forward to seeing how EWU does when they start BSC play.I have to reluctantly admit that I watched the WVU-Colorado game last night and the fact that your guys led that team from Boulder until the end speaks volumes about their potential this year. Hope they have a great season.

Thanks... you're not the only one! I'd be disappointed but settle for one conference loss with the calibre of players and coaching we have this year.

That photo is from when Montana State came town in 2005... the QB getting popped is the legendary ginger Travis Lulay.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I was at the playoff vs SIU game where Meyer outdueled Brandon Jacobs in the first round. He played a hell of a game, what's he doing now?

I'm not quite sure. Right after he graduated, he signed as a free-agent with the Bengals, but sprained his ankle and was released right before the regular season. He was a starter in NFL Europa and rated as one of the best passers until the league was disbanded. Spring of 07 he was picked up by my Seahawks, but later released, and then later that fall he was in training camp for the Raiders, but again, released. His top receiver Eric Kimble is playing in the CFL right now I think.

aust42
September 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
"EWU is a top 3 team". Whatever. Delaware, Richmond, JMU, Ap State, UMASS, NDSU, McNeese, New Hampshire, etc. are all better teams IMO.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
"EWU is a top 3 team". Whatever. Delaware, Richmond, JMU, Ap State, UMASS, NDSU, McNeese, New Hampshire, etc. are all better teams IMO.

We'll see how good UMass is this Saturday when they play Tech. If they put up more than 24, I'll be impressed. If they hold them under 50, I'll bow down in praise.

Typical East-Coast bias. Almost everyone thought McNeese was a better team last too. Then EWU came in and thumped 'em. Everyone started back-peddaling, saying "McNeese is overrated, they play in a weak conference," yada yada yada. Nobody really credited EWU as playing better football. The next week we got down in a hole against App late, and our special teams rallied and brought it within three. Had our RB not fumbled on the ASU 2 yard line earlier in the game, it could have been a much different story.

But all that's in the past. We're 0-2 right now, and need to prove how good we are. The next couple weeks will show how good we really are.

aust42
September 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM
We'll see how good UMass is this Saturday when they play Tech. If they put up more than 24, I'll be impressed. If they hold them under 50, I'll bow down in praise.

Typical East-Coast bias. Almost everyone thought McNeese was a better team last too. Then EWU came in and thumped 'em. Everyone started back-peddaling, saying "McNeese is overrated, they play in a weak conference," yada yada yada. Nobody really credited EWU as playing better football. The next week we got down in a hole against App late, and our special teams rallied and brought it within three. Had our RB not fumbled on the ASU 2 yard line earlier in the game, it could have been a much different story.

But all that's in the past. We're 0-2 right now, and need to prove how good we are. The next couple weeks will show how good we really are.

Well I am from the East Coast so maybe I do have some biased opinions. But an 0-2 team cannot be considered a top 3 team no matter who you've played. 6th ranked Delaware barely lost to a 2-1 ACC Maryland team and thumped a DII team, so I can't see how anyone could consider Eastern Washington a top 3 team yet this early in the season. Make this argument when your 9-2 with a win over Montana.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Well I am from the East Coast so maybe I do have some biased opinions. But an 0-2 team cannot be considered a top 3 team no matter who you've played. 6th ranked Delaware barely lost to a 2-1 ACC Maryland team and thumped a DII team, so I can't see how anyone could consider Eastern Washington a top 3 team yet this early in the season. Make this argument when your 9-2 with a win over Montana.

I agree in the sense that we have the potential to be a top 3 team, however it has yet to be seen on the field. Some would argue that our performance against the two Big 12 schools is plenty of evidence, but not until we handily beat teams like Montana and NAU will we know for sure. Before the year started, I said that if we hang 21+ on Tech, that we'd upset Colorado and go undefeated the rest of the year. We did, and we came damn close to.

It'll definitely be an interesting story to watch as the year progresses. With that, I can't wait until Saturday to attend the first home game of the year!!!

GO EAGLES

xnodx

Grizaholic17
September 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM

why do you need a win over us? I figure co-champs!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
why do you need a win over us? I figure co-champs!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Because after pasting Western, Drubbing ISU, and garnering a respectable win on the road at Portland State, a win over Montana will get us that #3 ranking! xthumbsupx xnodx

Grizaholic17
September 19th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Because after pasting Western, Drubbing ISU, and garnering a respectable win on the road at Portland State, a win over Montana will get us that #3 ranking! xthumbsupx xnodx

HA, well i have no doubt that you can do it. I just hope we can muster enough confidence to do to you what we did to cal poly. and before wolf gets on the post i will state what that is. Score early, and rely on EWU mistakes. xthumbsupx Hope that makes you happy wolf. xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix :p :p :p

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
HA, well i have no doubt that you can do it. I just hope we can muster enough confidence to do to you what we did to cal poly. and before wolf gets on the post i will state what that is. Score early, and rely on EWU mistakes. xthumbsupx Hope that makes you happy wolf. xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix :p :p :p

xlolx

ASU88
September 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Went to see them in the playoffs last year.

They were impressive to me in that after falling behind considerably in front of a rowdy crowd in Boone they showed a lot of heart in making a very nice comeback and turning what would usually have been an ugly game into a bit of a nailbiter at the end.

Liked all their fans that we met that day, too.

Chi Panther
September 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM

UNI went into the 4th Quarter with #11 BYU down 27 to 17......even after BYU smoked UCLA 59-0 I still don't think UNI is a lock for the playoffs....

I was also at the WVU at CU game last night....neither team is that good.....

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Went to see them in the playoffs last year.

They were impressive to me in that after falling behind considerably in front of a rowdy crowd in Boone they showed a lot of heart in making a very nice comeback and turning what would usually have been an ugly game into a bit of a nailbiter at the end.

Liked all their fans that we met that day, too.

Who all did you meet? I wish I could have gone to that game.

ASU88
September 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Who all did you meet? I wish I could have gone to that game.
Don't believe we met anyone from the board, just random fans passing by that made the trip. We called a few over to offer food and drink and the ones that took us up on it were fun to hang out with.

Of course, they didn't fly across the country to be bored, did they? :)

Tailbone
September 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Write it down.

You've made this claim almost every year since Hauck became coach.
If not Eastern Washington then someone else.
Maybe this will be your year.......right Steve?

Tailbone
September 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
If I knew you better I'd make that wager.

Steve doesn't honor his bets.
Didn't in the past, won't in the future.

....Right Steve?

Green26
September 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
After being tied 31-31 with D-II Western Washington at the start of the 4th quarter, EWU scored 3 TD's in the last 12:40 of the game to win 52-31.

WW had a 26-21 lead in first downs, and a slight edge in total yardage (515 to 506).

Here's the link to the game stats: http://goeags.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/09-20-08.html

EdubAlum
September 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
I don't care what we're ranked, my prize is a win to win chattanooga, and i don't care if we're unranked when that happens:D

UNHWildCats
September 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't care what we're ranked, my prize is a win to win chattanooga, and i don't care if we're unranked when that happens:D
The only way you're winning in Chatty unranked is either...

a) Its a non conference game next season against the Mocs.

b) You're team storms the field after Appy wins it's fourth title and your offense plays against your defense.

grizband
September 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM

b) You're team storms the field after Appy wins it's fourth title and your offense plays against your defense.
Or if Missoula, Bozeman, Portland, Sacramento, Greeley, Idaho Falls, Flagstaff and Ogden are simultaneously swallowed by earthquakes, therefore giving EWU the conference title by default...xlolx

EWashEagle
September 21st, 2008, 05:05 PM
UNHWildcats and Grizband are a couple of smacktalkers!

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
UNHWildcats and Grizband are a couple of smacktalkers!

Do you guys have a DI win yet? May not be smack....

EWashEagle
September 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Panther, nice try, but I think EWU represented well playing the BCS teams...

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
It wasn't a nice try. You guys need 7 D-I wins to make the playoffs as an at large and have 0. Can't just expect the BSC autobid to fall in your lap.

kalm
September 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
We're returning 16 starters including the BSC Offensive MVP, have playoff experience and success, and have played well so far this year with the exception of one quarter versus TTU, and defensively last night.

I appreciate the accolades and some are deserved, but the only way we're a top 3 team is if we run the table and finish 9-2. That's a tall order, but not out of the question. If that were to happen, then I would hope the selection committee would at least deam us in the top 4. If we lose one or two and still make the playoffs via an at-large or auto-bid, we will be the team no one wants to play.

A long, long ways to go though.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
We're returning 16 starters including the BSC Offensive MVP, have playoff experience and success, and have played well so far this year with the exception of one quarter versus TTU, and defensively last night.

I appreciate the accolades and some are deserved, but the only way we're a top 3 team is if we run the table and finish 9-2. That's a tall order, but not out of the question. If that were to happen, then I would hope the selection committee would at least deam us in the top 4. If we lose one or two and still make the playoffs via an at-large or auto-bid, we will be the team no one wants to play.

Agreed.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM
If we lose one or two and still make the playoffs via an at-large or auto-bid, we will be the team no one wants to play.

Agreed. Stay away from the Dome. ;)

kalm
September 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Agreed. Stay away from the Dome. ;)

What, you mean the place where Eastern playoff teams go to die? You have to admit though, we were real close in 2005. Perhaps the 4th time would be a charm. xthumbsupx

EdubAlum
September 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM

you're missing the point, my point is rankings are meaningless by themselves

EdubAlum
September 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
duplicate post

EdubAlum
September 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
duplicate post

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
What, you mean the place where Eastern playoff teams go to die? You have to admit though, we were real close in 2005. Perhaps the 4th time would be a charm. xthumbsupx

Don't remind me. The last one was good enough.