PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Express: Edwards I-AA's Trendiest Quarterback

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2008, 02:28 AM
"I don't know who voted on the award last year, but whoever did not vote him for the national Player of the Year was not watching the same games I was watching," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said this week. "He's a very dominant football player."

Actually, Edwards wasn't even among the finalists for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to the top player in I-AA. This year, however, he's considered the favorite.

As gifted as he is, Edwards is not imposing physically - even though he's a bit bigger these days, checking in at 6 feet, 184 pounds. Before App State's 28-27 playoff victory over JMU last year, Matthews was floored by just how little there was to look at with Edwards.

"I remember last year, I thought he was one of their managers," Matthews said. "Saturday morning, I walked out there and Jerry said, ‘That's our quarterback.' I thought, ‘Where's the rest of his body? He left it in the locker room.'"

That's the most obvious distinction - that and three championship rings - between Edwards and JMU's own dual-threat quarterback, the 6-1, 220-pound Rodney Landers.

Landers has rushed for 333 yards and four touchdowns in the Dukes' first three games, while passing for 300 more and two scores.

"Rodney is more of a true power running back guy, while Armanti is a little like a receiver running with the ball," Moore said. "He's quick and will make you miss where Rodney will just run over you."

Edwards might be a lightweight - literally -- but he's no pushover. Just ask JMU senior defensive end Hassan Abdul-Wahid.

"He's a tall, skinny guy, but he packs a punch," Abdul-Wahid said after practice Tuesday. "It's not like he's just going to fall down when you hit him."

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=31480&CHID=http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=15688353&sub=

KiddBrewer
September 17th, 2008, 03:07 AM
"He's a tall, skinny guy, but he packs a punch," Abdul-Wahid said after practice Tuesday. "It's not like he's just going to fall down when you hit him."

when did he get tall?

whoanellie
September 17th, 2008, 05:31 AM

when did he get tall?

everybody looks tall after one gets faked out and their knees buckle and your looking up at the person from the turf. xbowx xbowx xbowx

ASUMountaineer
September 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM
"I don't know who voted on the award last year, but whoever did not vote him for the national Player of the Year was not watching the same games I was watching," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said this week. "He's a very dominant football player."

Actually, Edwards wasn't even among the finalists for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to the top player in I-AA. This year, however, he's considered the favorite.

As gifted as he is, Edwards is not imposing physically - even though he's a bit bigger these days, checking in at 6 feet, 184 pounds. Before App State's 28-27 playoff victory over JMU last year, Matthews was floored by just how little there was to look at with Edwards.

"I remember last year, I thought he was one of their managers," Matthews said. "Saturday morning, I walked out there and Jerry said, ‘That's our quarterback.' I thought, ‘Where's the rest of his body? He left it in the locker room.'"

That's the most obvious distinction - that and three championship rings - between Edwards and JMU's own dual-threat quarterback, the 6-1, 220-pound Rodney Landers.

Landers has rushed for 333 yards and four touchdowns in the Dukes' first three games, while passing for 300 more and two scores.

"Rodney is more of a true power running back guy, while Armanti is a little like a receiver running with the ball," Moore said. "He's quick and will make you miss where Rodney will just run over you."

Edwards might be a lightweight - literally -- but he's no pushover. Just ask JMU senior defensive end Hassan Abdul-Wahid.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=31480&CHID=http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=15688353&sub=

That's agood article, but Armanti only has two rings. He was a true freshman in 2006.

jonmac
September 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Is Mickey Mouth trying to charm us with his kind words? Just kidding, good article.

magman919
September 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM
This Armanti Edwards guy must be a big deal.:D :D :D

AppAlum2003
September 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM

He has many leather-bound books and his apartment smells of rich mahogany.... I heard he's even friends with Merlin Olson.

ASUMountaineer
September 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
He has many leather-bound books and his apartment smells of rich mahogany.... I heard he's even friends with Merlin Olson.

Word. Can always count on an '03 App grad to come through with some good, quality quotes. Reppies. xnodx

appfan2008
September 17th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Those were a little too sappy for me coming from the opposing coach before a big game... what is this a love fest?

appstate38
September 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Those were a little too sappy for me coming from the opposing coach before a big game... what is this a love fest?

Hoping that AE and company won't run up the score on them... I guess!xlolx

appfan2008
September 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hoping that AE and company won't run up the score on them... I guess!xlolx

I think this game could go either way but i dont think it will be a barn burner... 2 touchdowns one way or the other...

AppAlum2003
September 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Wait... I got a grey-colored rep point from FerociousCat for my above comment... is that bad?

JMU2004
September 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
So far, this is what I have gathered about the ASU fan base:

if JMU says they are confident, then we are talking trash.

if JMU pays ASU a compliment, then we are sandbagging.

I don't think I have ever seen a fan base with such a big chip on their shoulder. Reminds me of WVU fans.

elon77
September 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I think he should go pro after this year. Jump to the NFL. Go PRO, go pro, go pro. :D xnodx :D xnodx

SoCon48
September 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM

I don't think I have ever seen a fan base with such a big chip on their shoulder. Reminds me of WVU fans.

I take it you haven't read JMU fan posts on the CAA board then???xcoffeex

As to chips? We haven't had a reason to have in several years and regarding JMoo, since around 1991.

DLS
September 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM

it's a little trick we learned from bush called, "i'm right and you're wrong"

ASUG8
September 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM

if ASU says they are confident, then we are talking trash.

if ASU pays JMU a compliment, then we are sandbagging.

I

Pretty sweeping statement - insert ASU for JMU as above and do you get a different answer?xconfusedx

BarefootApp
September 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
uh-oh. Here we go.

ASUMountaineer
September 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
xpopcornx

ASU88
September 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
That's agood article, but Armanti only has two rings. He was a true freshman in 2006.
Yeah he's good, but he's not good enough to get 3 rings in 2 years! xlolx

ASUMountaineer
September 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah he's good, but he's not good enough to get 3 rings in 2 years! xlolx

Haha, if they're going to hand 'em out. xnodx

danefan
September 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Wait... I got a grey-colored rep point from FerociousCat for my above comment... is that bad?

No, just means he/she doesn't have enough rep power to give you a positive rep.

Nebuta
September 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=BDKJMU;1108068 Actually, Edwards wasn't even among the finalists for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to the top player in I-AA. This year, however, he's considered the favorite.[/QUOTE]

Walter Payton Award has lost a lot of creditability after last year. Its joke.

Nebuta
September 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
"Actually, Edwards wasn't even among the finalists for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to the top player in I-AA. This year, however, he's considered the favorite.

citdog
September 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
the "trendiest" qb should have the ability to speak the english language....armanti edwards can not so he isn't it

ASUMountaineer
September 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
the "trendiest" qb should have the ability to speak the english language....armanti edwards can not so he isn't it

Neither can the Commander and Chief of the United States. xnodx

neersnbeers
September 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM
That's halerious!

DLS
September 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM

AE is above the english language. like pootie tang.

sah da tae.

ASU88
September 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM

A good many of your Southern brethren struggle with that as well you know. xnodx

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Geez, and if Matthews and the JMU player hadn't been full of praise you guys would've been calling him a bonehead for providing BB material. Maybe Matthews should refuse to talk to the press.....but then people would call him standoffish and arrogant...ahh, he can't win..xsmiley_wix

Remember the articles about how Moore and Matthews are good friends. If you listen to Matthews interview this Monday (its on the ASU audiozone) Matthews talks about knowing Moore since Matthews was in HS and Moore was coaching at SMU. That must have been late 60's.

I know I've read or have heard Matthews say he is also good friends with Lamb at FU, Cosgrove at Maine, and Brown at UMass.

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Yeah, didn't Flacco not make the final list last season? No Flacco or Edwards? If thats true, the Payton is a joke.

blueballs
September 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM

How do you figure that???xnonono2x

The winner set an ALL TIME ALL DIVISIONS RECORD for rushing by a quarterback, scored 24 TD's and threw for 6 more, and his team defeated AE's team head to head on App's field. He is also THE ONLY PLAYER IN NCAA HISTORY to have an 80+ yard TD passing, rushing, receiving, KO return and punt return.

Also, Edwards missed a few games due to injury and therefore didn't play all year. The voting is done prior to the playoffs.

It is obvious you didn't see Foster play, did you? You ought to ask the App, Citadel, Coastal, Wofford, WCU, Colorado State, SDSU, etc. fans what they thought of Foster.

BarefootApp
September 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
citdog doesn't recognize English unless it includes at least one sh*% per sentence. He's not an All-American Spelling Bee winner, but he's a helluva kid, dimwit.

BarefootApp
September 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I saw Foster.. He deserved it.

DLS
September 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, didn't Flacco not make the final list last season? No Flacco or Edwards? If thats true, the Payton is a joke.

AE was out for 4 games so he couldnt be considered.

next logical choice was foster. certified ninja. he was to fcs what rambo was to 'nam

check his highlights on youtube.

citdog
September 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
citdog doesn't recognize English unless it includes at least one sh*% per sentence. He's not an All-American Spelling Bee winner, but he's a helluva kid, dimwit.

**** THAT **** IS ****ING TRUE!

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM

AE was out for 4 games so he couldnt be considered.

next logical choice was foster. certified ninja. he was to fcs what rambo was to 'nam

check his highlights on youtube.

Sure, Foster was a very deserving winner. As far as Edwards, he did play in 11 of 15 games, right? And I thought the vote wasn't done till the week before the NC game. Flacco and Edwards should have at least been among the 10 finalists and gotten votes.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/payton/payton07.aspx

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM

The winner set an ALL TIME ALL DIVISIONS RECORD for rushing by a quarterback, scored 24 TD's and threw for 6 more, and his team defeated AE's team head to head on App's field. He is also THE ONLY PLAYER IN NCAA HISTORY to have an 80+ yard TD passing, rushing, receiving, KO return and punt return.

Also, Edwards missed a few games due to injury and therefore didn't play all year. The voting is done prior to the playoffs.

It is obvious you didn't see Foster play, did you? You ought to ask the App, Citadel, Coastal, Wofford, WCU, Colorado State, SDSU, etc. fans what they thought of Foster.

They don't announce the winner till the day or 2 before the NC game. So you're telling me they do the vote before the playoffs start and then keep it a secret for 4 weeks?

Nebuta
September 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM

Yeah Foster was deserving. But....
39 TDs for Omar Cuff and not even a finalist. You tell me. yeah Flacco stole some thunder but seriously. Not to be considered??? Thats a joke xlolx

Appaholic
September 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM

And a "great" receiver like Roberts should be able to get 1st team SoCon, but he can't, so he isn't.....you're just pissed because Armanti and Richie Williams felt secure enough in their abilities to not have to be told when to go to bed, how to make up a bed, how to eat their food, when to take a dump, etc, etc. and chose App over citadel......the vast majority of 18 yr old men would rather be boinking hot chicks instead of playing grab-a$$ with a bunch of knobs.....

SoCon48
September 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM
And a "great" receiver like Roberts should be able to get 1st team SoCon, but he can't, so he isn't.....you're just pissed because Armanti and Richie Williams felt secure enough in their abilities to not have to be told when to go to bed, how to make up a bed, how to eat their food, when to take a dump, etc, etc. and chose App over citadel......the vast majority of 18 yr old men would rather be boinking hot chicks instead of playing grab-a$$ with a bunch of knobs.....

D-A-Y-U-M!!xeyebrowx

blueballs
September 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Sure, Foster was a very deserving winner. As far as Edwards, he did play in 11 of 15 games, right? And I thought the vote wasn't done till the week before the NC game. Flacco and Edwards should have at least been among the 10 finalists and gotten votes.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/payton/payton07.aspx

They don't announce the winner till the day or 2 before the NC game. So you're telling me they do the vote before the playoffs start and then keep it a secret for 4 weeks?

The voters don't consider the playoffs in the voting, so the award is based on the regular season only.

Cuff finished fourth in the voting behind Foster, Sanders, and Johnson.

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
The voters don't consider the playoffs in the voting, so the award is based on the regular season only.

Cuff finished fourth in the voting behind Foster, Sanders, and Johnson.

That would maybe explain Edwards not making one of the 10 finalists, but not Flacco. He at least should have been among the final 10.

Henny
September 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Uh didnt LSU kick Ap St. a$$ untill they cried mercy. I think it was 41-10 with 10 min left. My gosh. Please, lets keep it real. App St. just might cough that FCS trophy up to a healthy club during the playoffs.

As scary as it sounds the win in Chatty is up for grabs.

SoCon48
September 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Uh didnt LSU kick Ap St. a$$ untill they cried mercy. I think it was 41-10 with 10 min left. My gosh. Please, lets keep it real. App St. just might cough that FCS trophy up to a healthy club during the playoffs.

As scary as it sounds the win in Chatty is up for grabs.

I dunno. 28 pts isn't a slaughter to a team like LSU. Well maybe 28 pts is. Like say 49-21??? You'll see some worse ass kicking when they face their SEC brethren.

BTW. Exact same margin that App started off the 2005 season with a much worse Kansas team and we all know what happened after that! A run to Chatt that year and 3 straight!

Come on back to Chatt, D fans if last year wasn't enough.

SoCon48
September 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
That would maybe explain Edwards not making one of the 10 finalists, but not Flacco. He at least should have been among the final 10.

Edwards was injured and did not play in enough games to qualify.