PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-20

JALMOND
September 16th, 2008, 11:52 PM
So I am looking at 17-3 so far but 0-2 going against the favorites (or what could be construed as the favorite). The first weeks have been rather easy which knocks my record off the shelf. This week, several matchups make it a tough one. What is in my head doesn't agree with what is in my gut on all but the EWU game so this week should be interesting. Anyway, here they are. All my opinion and all open for discussion...

Western Washington @ EWU---The Eagles showed they can play with the Big 12, even at a disadvantage concerning the scholarship issue. Still, no wins. This week, DII (and former rival) Western Washington comes calling. My head and gut agree on this. Eagles easy win...EWU 49, Western Washington 7.

North Dakota @ ISU---The Bengals took last week off to recover from their games against their FBS brethren. They now jump right back in to the swing of things on Thursday against North Dakota, a team that has shown it can win in DII (11-1 last year and 3-0 this year). My gut has a scary feeling about this, but my head says...ISU 28, North Dakota 10.

UC-Davis @ UM---The Griz welcome the Aggies to Wash-Griz stadium (and quite a few AGS'ers as well) fresh off a win over Southern Utah. Still, the Aggies are just two plays from being 3-0 coming into this game. My gut is also scared of this, but my head says...UM 27, UC-Davis 21.

NAU @ Southern Utah---The Jacks took last week off while the Thunderbirds were being painfully introduced to Missoula. Should be an excellent tune up for the Jacks as they prepare for conference play. Maybe it is a road game that has my gut a little scared of this. My head says...NAU 35, Southern Utah 20.

Texas State @ UNC---The Bears play one game against the FBS and then take a break. Now they get Texas State from the Southland who also took a week off to recover from the FBS. Somehow my gut likes this game, its my head that is scared...Texas State 31, UNC 24.

PSU @ Washington State---Slow progression for the Vikings. Week one was DII. Second game was FCS. Now the FBS. If there was a FBS opponent that the Vikings could steal a game against, it is Washington State. Never mind that the Big Sky is 0-20 against the Pac-10. Never mind that the Big Sky has not won yet this year against the FBS or that the FCS has only won two games this year. My gut is ecstatic about this, but my head says...Washington State 21, PSU 16.

WSU @ Sac State---The conference opener is finally here. Both teams showed they can win against DII (and lower). Both showed they can put up a good show against the FBS. Still, this is a game that counts and is a game that both want. Both are playing really well right now, a good time to start conference action. My gut says never go against the home team, especially in conference play, but my head likes the Wildcats...WSU 31, Sac State 28.

Rational thinking should triumph over gut instincts in most cases. I get the feeling either I am going to have a big headache on Sunday or a huge form of indigestion. Time to stock up on aspirin or Tums.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I'd flip the outcome of the ISU-ND game. Other than that, it looks pretty good. I think EWU is going to shut WWU out of the endzone though... EWU 55, WWU - 6.

UNCBears2010
September 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Something in both my head and my gut is telling me that UNC is looking at the Texas State game as a major statement game. Their defense is getting two key starters back from injury that didn't play against Purdue. I also thing Waggener throws for about 300 yards and 3 TDs...UNC 31, Texas State 17.

McNeese75
September 17th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Something in both my head and my gut is telling me that UNC is looking at the Texas State game as a major statement game. Their defense is getting two key starters back from injury that didn't play against Purdue. I also thing Waggener throws for about 300 yards and 3 TDs...UNC 31, Texas State 17.

I doubt you will hold Tx State to 17 with their running game and now starting a more confident QB but their defensive secondary is still suspect so that may be the Bears road to victory. My gut says the Bobcats win this one.

Grizzaholic
September 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Once again they all look about right.

UND92,96
September 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'd be pretty surprised if UND loses to Idaho St. Even if one were to consider UND to still be a dII program (may as well since we're a non-counter in the eyes of the NCAA), recent history has shown that good dII programs can do quite well even against strong FCS teams. And at this point I don't believe Idaho St. can be classified as a strong FCS team, although it's probably still too early in the season to definitively make that call. If Central Washington can upset Eastern Washington, and Chadron St. can upset Montana St. (both in 2006 I believe), and both of those Big Sky teams were presumably much better than is Idaho St. this year, I like UND's chances against Idaho St.

grizbeer
September 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Never mind that the Big Sky is 0-20 against the Pac-10.
Except for ISU your picks look about right - either ISU wins a squeaker or gets blown out - but I don't understand the 0-20 vs Pac 10?

EdubAlum
September 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Except for ISU your picks look about right - either ISU wins a squeaker or gets blown out - but I don't understand the 0-20 vs Pac 10?

i think he was talking about Portland States chances against Wazzu (i f'n hate the cougs btw).

I think EWU will allow at least one touchdown, 42-10?

grizbeer
September 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
i think he was talking about Portland States chances against Wazzu (i f'n hate the cougs btw).

I wasn't sure if he was being rhetorical, or picking a time frame - The BSC is not 0-20 all time against the Pac 10.

appfan2008
September 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
like many others i like the picks with the possible exception of the und idaho st game... und is gonna take it IMO

biobengal
September 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'd flip the outcome of the ISU-ND game.

I see there's very little faith in the Bengals this year. Frankly, I understand, this ISU team is somewhat of an unknown quantity having played only 2 games, both on the road vs. FBS.

I think most people are just looking at the Idaho State University - Idaho score...... however, this Idaho team beat a very good Cal Poly team last year.

wapiti
September 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Up till this week the Big sky games have been fairly easy to pick and this week half of the games are harder to pick.
Games I percieve as easy picks:
EWU over WW
NAU over SU
Wash St over PSU
MSU over Bye

Harder to pick games
ISU over UND
UM over UC Davis
UNC over Tex St.

The hardest one to pick
Sac St over Weber

Grizzaholic
September 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Up till this week the Big sky games have been fairly easy to pick and this week half of the games are harder to pick.
EWU over WW
NAU over SU
Wash St over PSU
MSU over Bye

Harder to pick games
ISU over UND
UM over UC Davis
UNC over Tex St.

The hardest one to pick
Sac St over Weber

Don't you think you are giving MSU a little bit of an edge on that one? BYE has been getting better over the years and they might win one this year.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
EWU over WW
NAU over SU
Wash St over PSU
MSU over Bye

Harder to pick games
ISU over UND
UM over UC Davis
UNC over Tex St.

The hardest one to pick
Sac St over Weber

That's giving WSU a little too much credit... I have faith in Paul Wulff... but his team isn't executing. I like PSU's chances... it'll be a close game, if not a PSU "upset."

saccat
September 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Don't you think you are giving MSU a little bit of an edge on that one? BYE has been getting better over the years and they might win one this year.

BYE has been playing better as of late...And there Cheerleaders are HOT. But I still think the cats will pull through this one. I just hope we come away with no major injuries.

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I see there's very little faith in the Bengals this year. Frankly, I understand, this ISU team is somewhat of an unknown quantity having played only 2 games, both on the road vs. FBS.

I think most people are just looking at the Idaho State University - Idaho score...... however, this Idaho team beat a very good Cal Poly team last year.

Cal Poly is the most over-hyped team in FCS football

Grizzaholic
September 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM

I thought the Griz were.xcoffeex

UNCBears2010
September 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I thought the Griz were.xcoffeex

I thought it was North Dakota State.xcoolx

CopperCat
September 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM

You need to find an FBS bandwagon to hop on. You say the Griz suck, yet they win against Cal Poly which IS a more talented team than the Griz. Yet Cal Poly was ranked a top 10 team after beating an FBS team that was supposed to be better this year. For the love of god please cease with your mindless banter about the "Pig Sty" and how much UM sucks and how much you hate Hauck and how you think you have a fluffly schedule and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. You have quickly replaced alexale as the single most annoying poster on the board. And that is saying something.xnonono2x

ncbears
September 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Kenney will play, but I don't think John Eddy will. He might be forced to redshirt this year.

UNCBears2010
September 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Kenney will play, but I don't think John Eddy will. He might be forced to redshirt this year.

I sure hope you're wrong about Eddy. I guess his redshirting wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, though, with the way guys like Nick Hernon and Tony Kolone looked against Purdue.

I'm so glad we actually have some depth this year.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2008, 11:08 PM
You need to find an FBS bandwagon to hop on. You say the Griz suck, yet they win against Cal Poly which IS a more talented team than the Griz. Yet Cal Poly was ranked a top 10 team after beating an FBS team that was supposed to be better this year. For the love of god please cease with your mindless banter about the "Pig Sty" and how much UM sucks and how much you hate Hauck and how you think you have a fluffly schedule and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. You have quickly replaced alexale as the single most annoying poster on the board. And that is saying something.xnonono2x

Seriously. He's sounds like a pretentious yuppy with Bipolar Type I Disorder whose parents never loved him quite enough.

He needs to take his wishy-washy, hey-look-at-me, negative-nancy, hypocritical BS out of here and get a life, IMO. xtwocentsx

JALMOND
September 18th, 2008, 12:09 AM

It was a stat provided by the Oregonian when they were writing about money games (appeared Monday). Actually, I can remember a game in 1996 between Montana and Oregon State. Maybe I'll point that out to the Viking beat writer as he is the one who wrote it.

JALMOND
September 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I'd be pretty surprised if UND loses to Idaho St. Even if one were to consider UND to still be a dII program (may as well since we're a non-counter in the eyes of the NCAA), recent history has shown that good dII programs can do quite well even against strong FCS teams. And at this point I don't believe Idaho St. can be classified as a strong FCS team, although it's probably still too early in the season to definitively make that call. If Central Washington can upset Eastern Washington, and Chadron St. can upset Montana St. (both in 2006 I believe), and both of those Big Sky teams were presumably much better than is Idaho St. this year, I like UND's chances against Idaho St.

I think there is some delusions of grandeur here. North Dakota went 11-1 in their final year of DII play. So far, they have played only DII competition and have compiled a 3-0 record. That shows they can beat DII teams. Idaho State is definitely not DII. It is a step up. As much as I want to say that Portland State can beat Washington State, I know we need to come in to Pullman and play our best ball yet to even have a shot. Same with North Dakota against ISU. North Dakota will find out in a hurry that playing the Big Sky is not like playing Mostly Cloudy State. That said, I wish you good luck in your endeavors in Pocatello.

X-Factor
September 18th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Idaho St is not a good team any way to slice the bread. UND should at least make it a game. No way they get blown out.

mvemjsunpx
September 18th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Conference:

Weber over Sac State - Wildcats could contend for the Big Sky title; we'll find out here. Sac's pass defense is really questionable, so that's the key.

Non-Conference:

EWU over WWU - No explanation needed.

Wazzu over Portland St. - A good Big Sky team would beat the Cougs… PSU isn't a good Big Sky team.

NoDak over Idaho St. - A championship-caliber DII squad should beat the worst team in the Sky most every time.

NAU over SUtah - The Thunderbirds might be able to clog the middle & contain Henderson, but they won't stop Kriesien's legs.

Montana over Davis - Not as easy as last week, but the Griz should win. Will it continue the recent trend of close homecoming contests?

UNC over Texas St. - Odd fact: both Bear wins since joining the Big Sky have come over teams named the Bobcats. They'll get #2 over the southern version here.

biobengal
September 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Idaho St is not a good team any way to slice the bread. UND should at least make it a game. No way they get blown out.

"Any way you slice the bread" Come on, you havn't a clue about Idaho State, that's alright, we havn't either.

darell1976
September 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Just remember no one gave us a chance against Northern Iowa and we walked out of there with a win, and by reading about how Idaho State isn't all that good i would think the Sioux have a better chance of beating them then they did vs N. Iowa. I know that was a couple years ago but the hype is about the same if not more because the Sioux are going to prove themselves they can compete in the FCS yes they had 3 preseason games (thats what i call D2 and D3 teams) now we can get down to business with 2 road games in a row Idaho St. and SE Louisiana, and if you think the Sioux are going to go to Idaho just to lay down and get smoked i think not. I think the Sioux start slow but pick it up in the 2nd half and win 21-10. GO SIOUX!!!!!

UND92,96
September 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I think there is some delusions of grandeur here. North Dakota went 11-1 in their final year of DII play. So far, they have played only DII competition and have compiled a 3-0 record. That shows they can beat DII teams. Idaho State is definitely not DII. It is a step up. As much as I want to say that Portland State can beat Washington State, I know we need to come in to Pullman and play our best ball yet to even have a shot. Same with North Dakota against ISU. North Dakota will find out in a hurry that playing the Big Sky is not like playing Mostly Cloudy State. That said, I wish you good luck in your endeavors in Pocatello.
Delusional would be picking UND to beat App. State. Expecting to beat the probable worst team in the Big Sky is simply being realistic. This game is no gimme, but for UND to not expect to win would be foolish given what the two programs have done in recent years.

biobengal
September 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Delusional would be picking UND to beat App. State. Expecting to beat the probable worst team in the Big Sky is simply being realistic. This game is no gimme, but for UND to not expect to win would be foolish given what the two programs have done in recent years.

It sure will look bad when UND loses to the "probable worst team in the Big Sky". xsmiley_wix

UND92,96
September 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
It sure will look bad when UND loses to the "probable worst team in the Big Sky". xsmiley_wix
If UND loses, then yes, it will look bad for us. My hope coming into the season was to go no worse than 7-3, and if we were to lose this game, in all likelihood we probably won't win a road game this year and would struggle to reach .500. On paper, this appears to be our most winnable road game.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
"Any way you slice the bread" Come on, you havn't a clue about Idaho State, that's alright, we havn't either.

Seriously! Who the **** slices bread these days!!? I buy mine pre-sliced. :D

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Maybe he bakes his own bread??

NDB
September 18th, 2008, 03:49 PM
UND doesn't have as good a team as in years past, and Mussman ain't Lennon.

I think the boys from Up North will win as long as they aren't too startled by the big city atmosphere of Pocatello.

mvemjsunpx
September 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think the boys from Up North will win as long as they aren't too startled by the big city atmosphere of Pocatello.

xlolx

THE HERD
September 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM
So I am looking at 17-3 so far but 0-2 going against the favorites (or what could be construed as the favorite). The first weeks have been rather easy which knocks my record off the shelf. This week, several matchups make it a tough one. What is in my head doesn't agree with what is in my gut on all but the EWU game so this week should be interesting. Anyway, here they are. All my opinion and all open for discussion...

Western Washington @ EWU---The Eagles showed they can play with the Big 12, even at a disadvantage concerning the scholarship issue. Still, no wins. This week, DII (and former rival) Western Washington comes calling. My head and gut agree on this. Eagles easy win...EWU 49, Western Washington 7.

North Dakota @ ISU---The Bengals took last week off to recover from their games against their FBS brethren. They now jump right back in to the swing of things on Thursday against North Dakota, a team that has shown it can win in DII (11-1 last year and 3-0 this year). My gut has a scary feeling about this, but my head says...ISU 28, North Dakota 10.

UC-Davis @ UM---The Griz welcome the Aggies to Wash-Griz stadium (and quite a few AGS'ers as well) fresh off a win over Southern Utah. Still, the Aggies are just two plays from being 3-0 coming into this game. My gut is also scared of this, but my head says...UM 27, UC-Davis 21.

NAU @ Southern Utah---The Jacks took last week off while the Thunderbirds were being painfully introduced to Missoula. Should be an excellent tune up for the Jacks as they prepare for conference play. Maybe it is a road game that has my gut a little scared of this. My head says...NAU 35, Southern Utah 20.

Texas State @ UNC---The Bears play one game against the FBS and then take a break. Now they get Texas State from the Southland who also took a week off to recover from the FBS. Somehow my gut likes this game, its my head that is scared...Texas State 31, UNC 24.

PSU @ Washington State---Slow progression for the Vikings. Week one was DII. Second game was FCS. Now the FBS. If there was a FBS opponent that the Vikings could steal a game against, it is Washington State. Never mind that the Big Sky is 0-20 against the Pac-10. Never mind that the Big Sky has not won yet this year against the FBS or that the FCS has only won two games this year. My gut is ecstatic about this, but my head says...Washington State 21, PSU 16.

WSU @ Sac State---The conference opener is finally here. Both teams showed they can win against DII (and lower). Both showed they can put up a good show against the FBS. Still, this is a game that counts and is a game that both want. Both are playing really well right now, a good time to start conference action. My gut says never go against the home team, especially in conference play, but my head likes the Wildcats...WSU 31, Sac State 28.

Rational thinking should triumph over gut instincts in most cases. I get the feeling either I am going to have a big headache on Sunday or a huge form of indigestion. Time to stock up on aspirin or Tums.
Mark it down UND will beat ISU soundly.....no doubt.

darell1976
September 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
UND doesn't have as good a team as in years past, and Mussman ain't Lennon.

Poca who?? Can't they move the game to Boise that blue turf is really cool!

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Poca who?? Can't they move the game to Boise that blue turf is really cool!

The correct term is Smurf Turf.xpeacex

Wolfman
September 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Conference:

Weber over Sac State - Wildcats could contend for the Big Sky title; we'll find out here. Sac's pass defense is really questionable, so that's the key.

Non-Conference:

EWU over WWU - No explanation needed.

Wazzu over Portland St. - A good Big Sky team would beat the Cougs… PSU isn't a good Big Sky team.

NoDak over Idaho St. - A championship-caliber DII squad should beat the worst team in the Sky most every time.

NAU over SUtah - The Thunderbirds might be able to clog the middle & contain Henderson, but they won't stop Kriesien's legs.

Montana over Davis - Not as easy as last week, but the Griz should win. Will it continue the recent trend of close homecoming contests?

UNC over Texas St. - Odd fact: both Bear wins since joining the Big Sky have come over teams named the Bobcats. They'll get #2 over the southern version here.

I agree with all of your picks. And, yes, Montana will continue its tradition of playing close Homecoming games. I believe this one will be within 2-3 points. My fear is that it will come down to a FG. If the Griz need a FG to win, things could go South for Hauck's team. He has inexplicably left the cupboard bare in kickers this season. He should have used a full ride scholly on a great one, since his FG kicker saves his arse about 2-3 times a season. He will now see how it feels to be without that weapon.

You can bet that Hauck will invest a scholly on a solid kicker for next season, after he lives with the current kicking game.

JALMOND
September 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM

First Result,

North Dakota 38, ISU 35.

I'm trying to give some love to the Bengals, but now I really do not see them winning a game this year. Their best bets are on MSU and Sac State at home and UNC and PSU on the road and I doubt they will be favored in those games. The conference has improved greatly top to (well almost) bottom and where are the Bengals? Well I've been wrong before. Hell, I was wrong on this game. Great win for the Sioux and questions abound for the Bengals.

For the record, Idaho is still FBS, even if they don't act like it. An FBS should beat an FCS, but should never means that they will.

slostang
September 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
First Result,

North Dakota 38, ISU 35.

I'm trying to give some love to the Bengals, but now I really do not see them winning a game this year. Their best bets are on MSU and Sac State at home and UNC and PSU on the road and I doubt they will be favored in those games. The conference has improved greatly top to (well almost) bottom and where are the Bengals? Well I've been wrong before. Hell, I was wrong on this game. Great win for the Sioux and questions abound for the Bengals.

For the record, Idaho is still FBS, even if they don't act like it. An FBS should beat an FCS, but should never means that they will.

I do not think that you are giving UND enough credit. They are a very good program. They went on the road two years ago and beat a ranked Northern Iowa team in the Unidome (a tough place to win). They did that as a DII team with only 36 scholarships.

The jury is still out on ISU. They lost to a good team tonight.

already123
September 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
good picks....

Blowouts-
EWU, NAU, PSU (will get blown out), and I think UNC will win easily over TxState...they are grooming in a new QB to a team that isnt that good in the first place. UNC has improved greatly!

I like Sac state over weber as well....call it a gut feeling

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Wrong

Texas State 38 UNC 35:D

UNCBears2010
September 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Wrong

Texas State 38 UNC 35:D

Don't gloat. You escaped this one by the hair of your chiny-chin-chin and you know it. Besides, it's wrong to kick a man when he's down.

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 10:34 PM
UNCBears2010,

Some of the other people posting on this thread thought we did not have a chance. No gloating at all. Hard fought game that we were lucky to win. You guys are going to give the Big Sky teams all they want in a game.

NoCoDanny
September 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Doubtfull, we're going 0-11 I hate to say, we always choke when it matters... very disapointed once again, it's a broken record.

UNCBears2010
September 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Doubtfull, we're going 0-11 I hate to say, we always choke when it matters... very disapointed once again, it's a broken record.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

No way UNC goes 0-11.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Really tough week so I'll take the 6-1 outcome (sorry ISU). Runs the overall record to 23-4. All were close except the PSU/Wazzu game. Still came out of it rather unscathed. Next week will be tougher, I'm sure of it. Still, should be OK if I side on rational thinking.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM

You'll be fine. You've got both PSU and ISU in Greeley this year. Pick up your usual upset somewhere and you'll come up smelling like a rose. Remember the Montana State game last year?