PDA

View Full Version : award finalist

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 08:09 PM
ok i want to start by first saying sorry if i offend anybody... i am just giving my opinion..
the payton list looks good for the most part... but Silva is overrated.. im not sayin he is a bad football player that would make me crazy.... i would love to have his athletic ability somewhere on the field for UNH. but he is not one of the top 20 players in i-aa. Baylark got taken off the list and should be put back on because he is a better player then silva. Shepard from hampton is a winner and winners are usually on awards lists, and Steffey of Nsdu and i am sure there are others who deserve to be there.... 3 carries for 9 yards against the gate, 16 for 37 against a down harvard, 12 for 38 against lehigh is not impressive.... im sorry but payton is not for him.... guys like Ball, Cuff, hillard, and richie willams are light years better them him.... like i said he is a good player but not payton and yes i know he leads the nation in all purpose so do not try to sell me that

The Buchanan list is crazy...
Lezotte, pittman, and Thomas should be out of there... I have watch lezotte on several occassions.... last year i thought James and lezotte where the cream of the crop. this years only james has impressed me...Lezotte makes alot of tackles but the defense is designed for the free safety to be the primary run support... he has no other stats and his team is losing. He had a great year last year but this year he is not living up to the hype...

James Ihedigbo is a player he is the real deal... he hits hard, he leads the A-10 in sacks, and is the emotional leader of the UMASS defense.. (not the best player on the d) but the best player is already on the list. Baron Flenory of UNH (one of the only things i agree with Knowledge about) is a play maker, he has made a big play to turn around the course of the game in ever game but the Will and Mary game. but UNH was sleep walking that game as a whole. He leads the a-10 in FF, top 2 in int's, breakups, and returned a fumble for a td. I was also at the UNH-Davis game and there corner Bergan has 7 int's in 7 games. he was all over the field. It looks like the commitee is going off of last years but these three players are being robbed

ucdtim17
October 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Tony Kays so far - 71 catches for 930 yards, 3 TDs, 116 ypg

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 08:32 PM
what makes him awsome!!!!!

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Kays is a deceptive player. he makes 12 ctaches in a game look like 3 or 4. in the UNH game he had 9 or 10 catches but he did not stick out like a sore thumb. that makes you great because it was effortless to him. UNH defense is extremely underrated (but thats another post) and he had a great day on them. he is better then Silva hands down. He blocked well also and that is huge for a player of his caliber. Sorry i didnt mention him

UNHWildCats
October 30th, 2005, 09:05 PM
ok i want to start by first saying sorry if i offend anybody... i am just giving my opinion..
the payton list looks good for the most part... but Silva is overrated.. im not sayin he is a bad football player that would make me crazy.... i would love to have his athletic ability somewhere on the field for UNH. but he is not one of the top 20 players in i-aa. Baylark got taken off the list and should be put back on because he is a better player then silva. Shepard from hampton is a winner and winners are usually on awards lists, and Steffey of Nsdu and i am sure there are others who deserve to be there.... 3 carries for 9 yards against the gate, 16 for 37 against a down harvard, 12 for 38 against lehigh is not impressive.... im sorry but payton is not for him.... guys like Ball, Cuff, hillard, and richie willams are light years better them him.... like i said he is a good player but not payton and yes i know he leads the nation in all purpose so do not try to sell me that

Walter Payton Award:

Two words and thats it.

RICKY SANTOS

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Wildcat i agree.... but he is not the best player in the nation... David Ball is.. but it would be hard for him win it over a qb.
this is not homerism.... i give credit where credit is due... and Ball is the best player in I-aa... but im going with Santos to win. he is atleast top 3

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Silva is awesome.

So is Mike Boyle but I'm not askin him to be on the Payton list

GrizSweeper
October 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Erik Meyer and Eric Kimble of Eastern Washington easily beat out Santos and Ball

GrizSweeper
October 30th, 2005, 10:19 PM
and dont forget about Rubin from Portland State, the kid is putting up great numbers, just saw him play last week, he is a great back

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Ball and Santos for Payton is a toss up, they both deserve it more than anyone else because they have only played all four quarters 3 times all year. I see one of them being in the Heisman race before they graduate (2 more years for Santos)...they are the best players in I-AA since Steve "Air" McNair. These guys are special like Westbrook and Azumah were.

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 10:41 PM
i didnt mention Rubin, or Meyer because they are already on the list. i was mentioning ppl that should be on the list that are getting the short end of the stick. if you say Rubin should be on it your right and he is just like santos, ball, and meyer......Silva is overrated....

what do you think about the buchanan

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 10:47 PM
First of all i have seen him play... he is a very good player i said that before. but he is the only person on HC worthy of a scholarship to a top ten School. He would not be the main guy at UNH, UMASS, Montana, PoLY, Tx st, Furman, and his athletic ability is not superior enough to start rb or wr for Georgia Southern... if someone disagrees let me know.... and there are other schools. he wouldnt start over Rubin at PSU, the list goes on... i know his stats and i have seen him play so i am not just poppin off. I call it fair and square. So he is good. but not payton good

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
That's nice, UNH folks saying the leading rusher and receiver from Holy Cross, a national player of the week this year is nothing special. :rolleyes: Maybe you folks should take a look at him play and how well he is doing this year before popping off?

2005 Patriot League Weekly Awards

Offensive Players of the Week
Sept. 5 Steve Silva, Sr., RB, Holy Cross

Special Teams Players of the Week
Oct. 3 Steve Silva, Sr., KR, Holy Cross *
Oct. 10 Steve Silva, Sr., PR, Holy Cross*
Oct. 17 Steve Silva, Sr., PR, Holy Cross
* - National Player of the Week

PATRIOT LEAGUE

100-Yard Rushers
Steve Silva, HC, 132 yds. vs. Dartmouth (10/15/05)
Steve Silva, HC, 110 yds. vs. Georgetown (9/10/05)
Steve Silva, HC, 106 yds. vs. Delaware (9/24/05)

League Leaders
Rushing Yards
1. Steve Silva, Holy Cross 609

Receptions
1. Steve Silva, Holy Cross 52

All-Purpose Yards
1. Steve Silva, Holy Cross 1,671

Scoring
1. Eric Rath, Lehigh 66
Steve Silva, Holy Cross 66

NCAA STATS

All-Purpose Running G Yds. Avg.
1. Steve Silva, HOLY CROSS 8 1,671 208.88

Receptions Per Game G Rec. Avg.
10. Steve Silva, HOLY CROSS 8 52 6.50

Scoring G Pts. Avg.
21. Steve Silva, HOLY CROSS 8 66 8.25

Kickoff Returns G No. Yds. Avg.
11. Steve Silva, HOLY CROSS 8 13 339 26.08

Punt Returns G No. Yds. Avg.
1. Steve Silva, HOLY CROSS 8 20 389 19.45

you wasted your time...I have seen those stats before, I do know how to surf the net just like you. I never said he's not good but he's certainly not Payton like. Don't take things so personal Ralph..."us folks" at UNH get plenty of "overrated" shots taken at us.

UNH_ORACLE
October 30th, 2005, 10:51 PM
[ Baron Flenory of UNH (one of the only things i agree with Knowledge about) is a play maker, he has made a big play to turn around the course of the game in ever game but the Will and Mary game. but UNH was sleep walking that game as a whole. He leads the a-10 in FF, top 2 in int's, breakups, and returned a fumble for a td. I was also at the UNH-Davis game and there corner Bergan has 7 int's in 7 games. he was all over the field. It looks like the commitee is going off of last years but these three players are being robbed[/QUOTE]

im sorry to disagree with you smarts and i hope i do not offend you but Baron Flenory is not an all around player...he runs to the ball better then most but the btfps (big time f'in players) of the UNH defense are Parent and Graham. Parent has sparked UNH's defense and saved Tallmans injury from being the demise of the defense. I think Flenory's stats are misleading and what the board is probably looking for are guys who really energize a defense, if he made a big play in the will and mary game he probably would be on the list, but he didnt. I love the kid he gives his all but he's not the cream of the crop. Bottom line he's decent but too skinny....

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Oracle.. you are right parent has filled in well for Tallman.. Tallman was the leader of the defense.. UNH's defense is underated and they have many weapons.. i just gave my opinion... but what does skinny have anything to do with a players ablitity.... if your goin to make an argument have some merit or post something that can enhance your creditiblity not diminish it

youwouldno
October 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Well, the Payton isn't an award for talent, it's an award for achievement. Yes, the difference between Silva and a lot of other guys is mostly context.

But, Silva actually has gotten those yards. Holy Cross is a decent team because of him. At UNH or Furman or WKU or another top I-AA team, probably he would be 'one of the guys' and an important contributor but not the featured player. Still, he is where he is and has done a lot of impressive things.

He belongs on the list without question.

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Me taking things personally? Look in the mirror. You compared Silva to Boyle!!!! In case anyone is looking for this Mike Boyle, the only stat he is known for is punt returns:
PUNT RETURN AVG Team Cl G Ret Yds TD Avg
---------------------------------------------------
Michael Boyle....... UNH FR 8 16 222 1 13.9

Mike Boyle plays in the A10 and on a team loaded w/ receivers including Dave Ball (I don't need to give his stats). The Boyle comparison was because Silva plays in the PL. I think u're taking my posts wrong. Silva is good...very good even, but if he played for UNH he would play Keith Levan and Mike Boyle's role as a WR/RB and maybe return punts but he wouldn't get the ball 4 ways on a team loaded w/ playmakers. Holy Cross needs him to do 4 things to be somewhat successful. I'm not gonna post anymore on the Silva topic because my "personal opinion" and that all it is "opinion" is that he shouldn't be on the list. Sorry to get you riled up and rolling your eyes at me.

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 11:04 PM
so if you go soley on stats..... then why are mid major players not on the list.... corey harge, or will blackshire of central conn. both had great stats. Blackshire was a db all american and got a try out with the steelers but you did not see him on the Buchanan list. Silva makes plays and HC is what they are because of him but if you wouldnt be the man at most schools then you shouldnt be not it. Santos would be the man anywhere, and rich williams, and meyer, and ball, and rubin, they would shine one any team in the country including i-a.

ASU Kep
October 30th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Richie Williams > Ricky Santos.

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Ralph. what dont you get. im not saying he is bad at all. that never cam out of my mouth. and it is not a A-10 is greater because i mentioned Tony Kays (davis) and Shepard (hampton) and all the other athletes that are already on it but not in the A-10. This is not about the PL its about the best players in the games and Silva is not one of them. or atleast not top 20. and cmparing boyle is not a stretch he is only a freshman and he is on a team that is loaded. do i think boyel is better i dont know i not going to make that statment since Silva has the numbers. but come on he is not better then anyone that is already on the list. lets get real

CatFan22
October 30th, 2005, 11:40 PM
The sad thing is this award is based on stats for the most part. I think Lulay would be atop this list if it were based on how valuable a player is to his team and performances in addition to good stats.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 31st, 2005, 12:01 AM
No Bruce Eugine

Check these stats out.
IAA National Player Report
Passing Efficiency

Year: 2005 Thru: 10/29/05 Minimum Pct. of Games Played 75
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp Comppct Int Intpct Pyds Ydspatt TDs TDpct Rating
1 Eric Sanders, Northern Iowa QB SO 6 108 75 69.44 3 2.78 1211 11.21 11 10.19 191.7
2 Bruce Eugene, Grambling QB SR 7 267 154 57.68 2 .75 2632 9.86 31 11.61 177.3

31 TD's to 2 INT's

Mr. C
October 31st, 2005, 12:11 AM
This thread has become rather goofy. First of all, Steve Silva would be a STAR on ANY team in I-AA. He is that good. I had my doubts about him before the season started (just ask Ralph), but I've been convinced by how he has carried Holy Cross. Without Silva, Holy Cross would be one of the dregs of the Patriot League. Just because a player is from the PL doesn't mean he isn't a great player. In case people have forgotten, Kenny Gamble of Colgate won the Payton Award in 1987, Dave Meggett of Towson won it in 1988 and Jamaal Branch of Colgate won it in 2003. There have been three Payton winners from the PL and three from the A-10 (Brian Finneran of Villanova in 1997, Jerry Azumah of New Hampshire in 1998 and Brian Westbrook of Villanova in 2001).

I'm also a bit confused with all of this New Hampshire bias on this thread. Come on guys, have you seen any I-AA football outside of the A-10 in recent years? There is little chance that Santos will draw ANY Payton support in his career and even less chance that Ball will, not because they are bad players, but just because of the way the Payton works. There have been plenty of great I-AA quarterbacks since Steve McNair. While I think Santos is a great QB, I'm not ready to annoint him as the best since McNair yet. I'm not even sure he is the best QB this year. There are some great ones around the country that actually have more versatile athletic skills than Santos does. Richie Williams of Appalachian State can beat you with his legs and his arm with almost equal effectiveness. Travis Lulay of Montana State is a triple threat when you include the fact he is also one of the best punters in the country. The same goes for Ingle Martin of Furman. Eric Meyer of Eastern Washington is more mobile than Santos and probably has a slightly better arm. Meyer was also a Major League Baseball prospect. All of these guys are also great in the clutch. I would love to see two of them facing off against each other in the national championship game next month. The fact that Santos is a sophomore during a year with such great QBs will also hurt his vote total. He might be one of the three finalists, but I would expect Williams, Meyer, or Lulay (the dark horse here) to win the award. The key test for Williams may be next Saturday when he gets a big chance at national exposure against LSU. If he puts up 300 yards of total offense against LSU and the Mountaineers play competitively, that might tip the award in his favor. Another factor not in Santos' favor, if Ball does receive votes, it will probably be support that he steals from Santos. Two candidates from the same school will likely split support. Ball has no chance of winning. Finneran is the only receiver to win it and DaVon Fowlkes finished third last year with some incredible numbers.

eagle1
October 31st, 2005, 12:14 AM
Probably my biased opinion but....Erik Meyer should win the award. It is too bad that more people do not get a chance to watch him because he is unbelievable. Go Eagles!!!

Mr. C
October 31st, 2005, 12:27 AM
I honestly think its a dead heat between Erik Meyer and Richie Williams right now. Williams might get the nod, if he leads his team to a Southern Conference championship. Meyer has to close the season strong and has to lead his team to the playoffs to win it.

Mr. C
October 31st, 2005, 01:07 AM
Not overlooking any block, but when you have four quarterbacks as probably the top four voter-getters and three are seniors, the sophomore has to be WAY better than the others to win. Of the last six winners, three are from the east, two from the southeast and one from the midwest. The west hasn't had a winner since Northern Arizona's Archie Amerson in 1996.

umassfan
October 31st, 2005, 01:48 AM
Ralph all I have to do is say two words to show you what Sliva is:
Jamaal Branch

An over rated Pat League rusher!

Silva isnt even in the same time zone as Baylark as runners...

umassfan
October 31st, 2005, 02:12 AM
I have seen both and :rolleyes: Apples to oranges.

Jamaal Branch overrated in 2003???? Gimme a break! Is that remark because he scored the game winner vs. UMass in the playoffs? Oh yeah, A-10 > PL. Sorry I forgot!!

Maybe you'll post some evidence how Baylark deserves to be on the Payton list over Silva. I have posted enough for someone not from Holy Cross.
Evidence... you want evidence... just watch any of the Maine or UNH games and you will have all the evidence you need... stats dont mean jack because they arent playing the same teams and what not... As for the Branch remark... its to show you that yes he put up great yards in 03 but in 04 his season went to tank and it all started with his less then 50 yard game vs UMass.

umassfan
October 31st, 2005, 02:39 AM
Branch won the Payton in 2003. Plain and simple.
Yes I am aware... that doesnt mean he wasnt the most over hyped player ever to play in I-AA.

eagleskins
October 31st, 2005, 02:48 AM
Yes I am aware... that doesnt mean he wasnt the most over hyped player ever to play in I-AA.

No Jermaine Austin of Jayson Foster?

umassfan
October 31st, 2005, 02:51 AM
No Jermaine Austin of Jayson Foster?

Nope!

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 05:48 AM
:rolleyes: All those great stats and field leadership are just a mirage I guess. :rolleyes:

I don't doubt he's a great player. I ain't saying there arent a number of great players in I-AA. I think the final voting will be very close, but I'm going with my teams player. Not just cause he's from UNH but also cause he has a legitimate shot at winning it.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 05:53 AM
Me taking things personally? Look in the mirror. You compared Silva to Boyle!!!! You need to see some games not just surf the net. In case anyone is looking for this Mike Boyle, the only stat he is known for is punt returns (where Silva leads the nation):
PUNT RETURN AVG Team Cl G Ret Yds TD Avg
---------------------------------------------------
Michael Boyle....... UNH FR 8 16 222 1 13.9

Boyle's numbers arent award worthy, and arent Payton eligible. The Payton Award is for most outstanding offensive player right? so the award should only be considered upon offensive statistics. Clearly leaving Boyle out.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 06:46 AM
Here guys, all the numbers right in front of your eyes.

http://www.geocities.com/tjliles04/IAAStats.JPG

lucchesicourt
October 31st, 2005, 07:18 AM
Do you think WR Tony Kays from UCD should be included in awards list?

RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------
Tony Kays 8 71 930 13.1 3 61 116.2

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 07:20 AM

i know he probably won't win it, because he doesn't have lopsided numbers like the rest of these guys, but Richie Williams is probably the best player on that list. Thats what having a balanced offense gets ya

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 07:28 AM
i know he probably won't win it, because he doesn't have lopsided numbers like the rest of these guys, but Richie Williams is probably the best player on that list. Thats what having a balanced offense gets ya

If you guys are gonna reply to my chart delete the link from the reply message so u dont wipe out the bandwith from my geocities site and make it so the chart vanishes LOL

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 07:32 AM
If you guys are gonna reply to my chart delete the link from the reply message so u dont wipe out the bandwith from my geocities site and make it so the chart vanishes LOL

got it!

comment?

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 07:33 AM
Do you think WR Tony Kays from UCD should be included in awards list?

RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------
Tony Kays 8 71 930 13.1 3 61 116.2

the list is made of the players listed on TheSportsNetwork website list of Peyton Watch. I would guess whats hurting Kays is his lack of touchdowns, while Ball doesnt have much chance winning he leads Kays in TDs 13-3 so i would think Kays chances aren't very good.

Payton Watch (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/payton/candidate05.aspx?pid=16805)

rcny46
October 31st, 2005, 09:12 AM
C'mon, Silva is a man on the field and Boyle is a youngster. No comparison at all.

How in the world do you have the patience to put up with these guys? They are embarrassing.I tried to keep from putting my 2 cents in,but enough is enough.

colgate13
October 31st, 2005, 09:39 AM

Oh Jesus H. Christ. Eat ***** with that comment. How many records did Branch break in 2003? How far did he carry Colgate's offense? How far did Colgate go in the playoffs? He won the award in 2003, not 2004. Why does 2004 even matter? Players can't have good years and bad years? JAMAAL BRANCH DESERVED TO WIN THE PAYTON AWARD IN 2003!

Also, for a big fat BTW: In 2004 Branch ran for 1,253 yards, 16 touchdowns, averaged 108.2 yards per game and 4.0 yards per carry. The numbers are not as guady as 2003, but it is hardly a flop. That's a career year for a good 80-90% of I-AA running backs.

On topic: Steve Silva certainly deserves to be on that list. Should he win it? No. But he is one of the standouts this year in I-AA. He is in many ways carrying HC by himself. Without him, Holy Cross has results like last Saturday: a loss to Fordham. Give him a better supporting cast, and he would be putting up even bigger numbers.

For those of you saying Silva only had so and so yards against so and so team: Steve Baylark only had 57 against Colgate. That's definitely Payton worthy. :rolleyes:

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 10:09 AM

Name G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng TD
Eric Kimble 8 61 1016 127.0 16.7 54 8
His stats are pretty impressive this year too.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Name G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng TD
Eric Kimble 8 61 1016 127.0 16.7 54 8
His stats are pretty impressive this year too.

As I said before I went with the players that are listed on TheSportsNewtork Payton watch. It is extrmely unlikely a WR will win the award, that said 2 poeple have mentioned WRs and while both are having fine seasons neither are having seasons better then Ball, and thats a fact.

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 10:32 AM
No Bruce Eugine

Check these stats out.
IAA National Player Report
Passing Efficiency

Year: 2005 Thru: 10/29/05 Minimum Pct. of Games Played 75
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp Comppct Int Intpct Pyds Ydspatt TDs TDpct Rating
1 Eric Sanders, Northern Iowa QB SO 6 108 75 69.44 3 2.78 1211 11.21 11 10.19 191.7
2 Bruce Eugene, Grambling QB SR 7 267 154 57.68 2 .75 2632 9.86 31 11.61 177.3

31 TD's to 2 INT's

Thank you! a two time top three player in the country(Payton Award)at that. ;)

pete4256
October 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Ball and Santos for Payton is a toss up, they both deserve it more than anyone else because they have only played all four quarters 3 times all year. I see one of them being in the Heisman race before they graduate (2 more years for Santos)...they are the best players in I-AA since Steve "Air" McNair. These guys are special like Westbrook and Azumah were.

That's about the funniest thing I've ever heard. Heads up, Mr. C. He didn't say best QB since McNair, he said best players since McNair.

Even better than Azumah and Westbrook.

I'm rolling around on the floor laughing. I would be doing the same even if I weren't a GSU fan.

UNHknowledge
October 31st, 2005, 10:46 AM
That's about the funniest thing I've ever heard. Heads up, Mr. C. He didn't say best QB since McNair, he said best players since McNair.

Even better than Azumah and Westbrook.

I'm rolling around on the floor laughing. I would be doing the same even if I weren't a GSU fan.

Keep laughin...we only needed Ball for one quarter last year and we still beat your mighty Eagles. Not to mention Santos was a FRESHMAN. AND...I never said they're better than Azumah and Westbrook...those guys are NFL Pro Bowlers, I'm saying that they are special like those guys were when they were in college.

UNHknowledge
October 31st, 2005, 10:49 AM
How in the world do you have the patience to put up with these guys? They are embarrassing.I tried to keep from putting my 2 cents in,but enough is enough.

No...you embarrass us. You've got about as much UNH Pride as UMassfan and I'm sure you have our D predicted to give up 40 pts vs. Hofstra so I'll save you the time of posting it.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 11:01 AM
The Walter Payton Player of the Year Award is presented annually to the most outstanding college football player on the Division I-AA level.

Sorry, but i have to disagree..

The Walter Payton Award is awarded annually to the best offensive player in Division I-AA football. The honor was first given in 1987 to the outstanding player in Division I-AA, but in 1995, eligibility was restricted to offensive players. That year, the Buck Buchanan Award for I-AA defensive players was inaugurated.

The trophy was named in honor of NFL legend Walter Payton, who starred at Jackson State University, which is now a I-AA school.

CatFan22
October 31st, 2005, 11:02 AM
The Walter Payton Player of the Year Award is presented annually to the most outstanding college football player on the Division I-AA level.

..........Travis Lulay, QB, Montana State University.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM
I didn't disagree.

You said its presnted to the most outstanding I-AA player, but its for the most outstanding offensive player.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 12:06 PM
What's your source?

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2004/payton120403.html

Delaware’s Andy Hall named Walter Payton Award finalist

11:18 a.m., Dec. 4, 2003--University of Delaware senior quarterback Andy Hall, the 2003 Atlantic 10 Offensive Player of the Year, is one of three finalists for the prestigious Walter Payton Award presented to the top offensive player in NCAA Division I-AA, it was announced Monday by The Sports Network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Payton_Award

http://www.wm.edu/news/index.php?id=4164

William and Mary’s Lang Campbell (Winchester, VA) put a fitting end to what has been a near magical football season by being named as the recipient of the 2004 Payton Award at the 18th annual I-AA College Football Awards Ceremony held this evening in Chattanooga. Campbell earned the award, which is presented annually to the most outstanding offensive player in the I-AA ranks, by virtue of a national vote of college sports information directors and selected media.

pete4256
October 31st, 2005, 01:42 PM
I see one of them being in the Heisman race before they graduate (2 more years for Santos)...they are the best players in I-AA since Steve "Air" McNair.

Looks to me like you DID say that both Ball and Santos were better than Westbrook and Azumah, as both of these guys played in I-AA after McNair.

And to think that your two players are clearly better than guys like Moss, Peterson, and Dexter Coakley (might as well add a defensive player) is objectionable to anybody who's not been confined to watching the A-10 the last two years. And those are just Socon players.

Even if Ball were the greatest player in I-AA history his missing most of last year's first-round playoff game has nothing to do with the GSU loss.

Neither does NH's humiliating defeat at the hands of Montana.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Looks to me like you DID say that both Ball and Santos were better than Westbrook and Azumah, as both of these guys played in I-AA after McNair.

And to think that your two players are clearly better than guys like Moss, Peterson, and Dexter Coakley (might as well add a defensive player) is objectionable to anybody who's not been confined to watching the A-10 the last two years. And those are just Socon players.

Even if Ball were the greatest player in I-AA history his missing most of last year's first-round playoff game has nothing to do with the GSU loss.

not to mention that Richie Williams is arguably the best "all around" player in the I-AA now or at any time

UNH_ORACLE
October 31st, 2005, 02:42 PM

why ya gotta throw humiliating in there??? Even still I think what we did to you guys was ten times as humiliating....how many first round playoff games has GSU lost at home??

UNHknowledge
October 31st, 2005, 03:04 PM

Why are you throwing all these NFL legends in here (when did I say they were better than Randy Moss?)...I never said they are better than those guys. Those guys were special college players and people should take notice when they see something special and Ball and Santos are special. "Air" McNair had very gaudy numbers and Ball and Santos (still very young) do too and they only play half the quarters of other stars because of blow outs. I think you took what I said wrong, and you can laugh as much as you like.
How irrelevent was that Montana comment...wow. I'll tell you this GSU is the least of our worries...you guys need to worry about not losing another game right now.

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Look out Silva, this weeks POW Arkee Whitlock is gaining on you.

ALL-PURPOSE RUNNING

Rank Player G Rush Rec PR KOR Yds Yds/Gm Ydspl
1. Steve Silva, Holy Cross 8 609 334 389 339 1671 208.88
2. Arkee Whitlock, Southern Ill. 7 868 147 0 342 1357 193.86
:D

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM
Look out Silva, this weeks POW Arkee Whitlock is gaining on you.

ALL-PURPOSE RUNNING

Rank Player G Rush Rec PR KOR Yds Yds/Gm Ydspl
1. Steve Silva, Holy Cross 8 609 334 389 339 1671 208.88
2. Arkee Whitlock, Southern Ill. 7 868 147 0 342 1357 193.86
:D

This points something out that all the UNH fans are missing on the earier pages of this thread. They are purposely not including return yardage in their rushing, passing, receiving yards totals. You add return yards to that calculus, and hey, what do you know, Silva is 1st. By 300 freakin' yards!

Silva deserves to be on the list. Will he win? Probably not. But as someone who has seen him in person, he absolutely belongs in the list. I saw him singlehandedly give Holy Cross a chance to beat Lehigh on the road, and they ended up winning. Without Silva, not only would Lehigh have won the game, they would have had an excellent chance at a shutout.

I'm going to be at the UNH/Hofstra game this weekend, so I'll be seeing some Payton candidates this weekend live. I am sure Silva belongs with them in consideration.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2005, 04:48 PM
This points something out that all the UNH fans are missing on the earier pages of this thread. They are purposely not including return yardage in their rushing, passing, receiving yards totals. You add return yards to that calculus, and hey, what do you know, Silva is 1st. By 300 freakin' yards!

Silva deserves to be on the list. Will he win? Probably not. But as someone who has seen him in person, he absolutely belongs in the list. I saw him singlehandedly give Holy Cross a chance to beat Lehigh on the road, and they ended up winning. Without Silva, not only would Lehigh have won the game, they would have had an excellent chance at a shutout.

I'm going to be at the UNH/Hofstra game this weekend, so I'll be seeing some Payton candidates this weekend live. I am sure Silva belongs with them in consideration.

the walter payton goes to the most outstanding offensive player, not the most outstanding offensive/special teams player

colgate13
October 31st, 2005, 07:16 PM
the walter payton goes to the most outstanding offensive player, not the most outstanding offensive/special teams player

Well that's splitting hairs IMO, especially since there is no Walter Payton special teams equivalent. When you're going to get the ball on the return, I would argue you are going on the offensive. When you're kicking, you're on the defensive. No?

pete4256
October 31st, 2005, 07:42 PM
I see one of them being in the Heisman race before they graduate (2 more years for Santos)...they are the best players in I-AA since Steve "Air" McNair.

Please read your statement more time. It says what it says.

The only reason I mentioned the Montana loss was because YOU offered UNH's victory over GSU as proof of Ball and Santos's greatness. I was making a point about the relevance or YOUR statement.

And I ain't giving you Richie Williams, APP guy. I already mentioned Coakley. That should be enough. :D

The next thing will be the Fermin asking me to mention "Little Louis." :eek:

UNHknowledge
October 31st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Please read your statement more time. It says what it says.

The only reason I mentioned the Montana loss was because YOU offered UNH's victory over GSU as proof of Ball and Santos's greatness. I was making a point about the relevance or YOUR statement.

And I ain't giving you Richie Williams, APP guy. I already mentioned Coakley. That should be enough. :D

The next thing will be the Fermin asking me to mention "Little Louis." :eek:

Touche...
But Ball will be a regular in the NFL, not to take too big of a shot at GSU but he will make a bigger impact than Adrian Peterson has (yes, I also agree he is getting screwed in Chicago). Call me crazy or laugh at me but in 2007 when Santos is finally a senior I can see him in the Heisman hunt.
You've made this a good debate and I respect that.

GrizSweeper
October 31st, 2005, 08:33 PM
you're crazy

UNHknowledge
October 31st, 2005, 08:52 PM
you're crazy

I'll be that