PDA

View Full Version : playoff eligibility part 2

grizband
October 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Here is the updated list of teams who are still mathematically eligible for the playoffs this season. With losses last week, five more teams can now no longer ger to 7 division I wins. These new five are: Rhode Island, James Madison, Delaware, San Houston State, and Stephen F. Austin. Also, three teams (indicated in bold type) have now reached the 7 win plateau. These teams are: New Hampshire, Hampton, and Furman. There are currently 48 teams on this list.

Atlantic 10
North Division
New Hampshire 5-1 7-1
Massachusetts 5-1 6-2
Hofstra 3-2 5-3

South Division
Richmond 5-1 5-3
William & Mary 3-2 5-3
Towson* 2-3 5-3
Villanova 2-3 4-4

Big Sky
Montana* 3-1 6-2
Montana State 3-1 5-3
E. Washington 4-2 5-3
Weber State* 4-2 5-4
Portland State 3-2 5-4

Great West
Cal Poly 3-1 5-3

Big South
Coast. Carolina* 3-0 7-1

Gateway
Youngstwn St.* 4-1 7-2
W. Kentucky* 4-1 6-2
So. Illinois* 4-1 6-2
Northern Iowa* 3-2 5-3
Illinois State 2-3 5-4

Mid-Eastern Athletic
Hampton 6-0 8-0
S. Carolina St.* 4-1 6-2
Delaware St.* 4-2 5-4
Beth. Cookman* 3-2 6-2
Florida A&M 3-2 4-4

Ohio Valley
Eastern Illinois 5-0 6-2
Jacksonville St. 5-1 5-4
E. Kentucky 4-1 4-4

Patriot
Lafayette 3-0 6-2
Lehigh 2-1 6-2
Colgate 2-1 5-3
Holy Cross 2-2 5-4
Georgetown 2-2 4-4

Southern
Appalachian St. 4-1 6-2
Furman 3-1 7-1
Ga. Southern 4-2 6-3
Wofford 3-2 5-3
W. Carolina^ 3-2 4-3
Chattanooga 2-3 5-4

Southland
McNeese St.^ 3-1 4-2
Texas St.* 2-1 6-2
Nrthwestern St.^ 2-1 4-3
Nicholls St.^ 2-1 3-3

Southwestern Athletic
East Division
Alabama St. 6-1 6-2
Alabama A&M* 4-2 6-2
Alcorn St.* 3-2 4-3
Miss. Valley St.* 4-3 5-3

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2005, 10:20 PM
SWAC teams are not eligible, are they?

inpsite1919
October 30th, 2005, 10:31 PM
SWAC teams are not eligible, are they?

YES BUT THEY CHOSE TO HAVE THEIR CHAMPIONSHIP GAME DURING THE TIME THE PLAYOFFS ARE PLAYED

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Choosing not to participate is pretty much the same thing the Ivy League does. It still translates to not being eligiblefor playoff consideration. I think it would be alright to go ahead and drop them from the list.

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2005, 12:34 AM
San Diego will be playoff eligible. Go Torero's!!!

JALMOND
October 31st, 2005, 12:49 AM
JMU not being able to reach the 7 win plateau is interesting. It would have been better for Coastal if they would have at least been considered. There went Coastal's lone quality win.

Aggie71
October 31st, 2005, 01:35 AM
Umm.

I guess we'll take a spot, if one is available.

hehehehehe.

See you in a couple of years

rokamortis
October 31st, 2005, 05:36 AM
JMU not being able to reach the 7 win plateau is interesting. It would have been better for Coastal if they would have at least been considered. There went Coastal's lone quality win.

There is still a win at SC State - that is a quality win.

JMU is sure disappointing the hell out of me - but it just goes to show the parity of the A-10. They probably should have won one of the games over the last couple of weeks but seems the charm they had all of last year is long gone. I have no doubt that they still could give anyone in I-AA a good game.

Coastal89
October 31st, 2005, 09:07 AM
three teams (indicated in bold type) have now reached the 7 win plateau. These teams are: New Hampshire, Hampton, and Furman
Coastal also has 7 D-I wins.

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 09:57 AM
You're right they do, I will update that. Their non division I game hasn't come yet.

windwalker
October 31st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Also, three teams (indicated in bold type) have now reached the 7 win plateau. These teams are: New Hampshire, Hampton, and Furman.

Also Youngstown State has 7 wins, but not all Div I games.

HensRock
October 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Grizband,
Villanova (A-10 South) is mathematically still alive at 4-4, they need to win out to make it to 7 D-I wins.

Weber St. and Idaho St. are both mathematically eliminated. Best they can each do is 6 D-I wins.

HensRock
October 31st, 2005, 10:17 AM
Also mathematically eliminated:

Delaware St.
FAMU
Tenn-Martin
W. Carolina

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Grizband,
Villanova (A-10 South) is mathematically still alive at 4-4, they need to win out to make it to 7 D-I wins.

Weber St. and Idaho St. are both mathematically eliminated. Best they can each do is 6 D-I wins.
You are right about Idaho St. Weber State can still win the conference though.

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 10:28 AM
Also mathematically eliminated:

Delaware St.
FAMU
Tenn-Martin
W. Carolina
Delaware St. and Tenn-Martin you are correct. FAMU can still get 7 wins, and W. Carolina can still win the conference.

HensRock
October 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM
You are right about Idaho St. Weber State can still win the conference though.

Fair enough. I thought we were only talking about at-large eligibility. Check the other 4 I posted too, I think only WCU could possibly win the SoCon if everything falls their way - the other 3 cannot possibly win their conference.

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 10:39 AM
Fair enough. I thought we were only talking about at-large eligibility. Check the other 4 I posted too, I think only WCU could possibly win the SoCon if everything falls their way - the other 3 cannot possibly win their conference.

As far as I can tell, unless I am missing something (which I could very well be) FAMU can still get to 7 wins. Let me know if you are seeing something Im not. Thanks for the help thus far.

HensRock
October 31st, 2005, 10:40 AM
You're right about FAMU. My bad.

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 10:46 AM
No problem. Thanks for pointing out what I missed earlier. Its a shame to not see Delaware on that list.

HensRock
October 31st, 2005, 11:08 AM
Its a shame to not see Delaware on that list.

Thanks, but it would have taken a miracle. We just lost our 15th player for the season. The list includes our top 4 WR's (all seniors), our team captain on Defense, our 2nd string RB, and numerous starters on both lines. I have no idea how we beat JMU last week and next week against UMass could get ugly. They don't often win at the Tub, so I'm sure they'll want to make the most of this opportunity! - LOL.
Good news is, it's at home, Rich Gannon will be there to be inducted into the Hall Of Fame, and the team is very young and learning for next year, Look Out!

BTW, what do the * and ^ mean on your list?

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 11:20 AM
and the team is very young and learning for next year, Look Out!

BTW, what do the * and ^ mean on your list?

The Griz are very young this year as well, and I believe they will be better next year. Hilliard will be a senior, out O-Line, QB and WR will be more experienced.

The * means a team has either a non division I win, or a non division I game remaining on their schedule. A ^ means a team has a cancelled game, preventing from reaching the 7 win mark.

OL FU
October 31st, 2005, 11:23 AM

Yes, but you have to subtract three of them because you lost in Boone :rolleyes:

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 11:24 AM
Yes, but you have to subtract three of them because you lost in Boone :rolleyes:

NO, more like because they play in the Big South ;)

Lapper
October 31st, 2005, 11:41 AM
A weak schedule (still), the good teams earlier are now not as good, and the close games with so-called weaker opponents will keep the Chants home this season as it should be. Sorry fellow Beach Chickens, but it's true so don't get your hopes up. :( :bang:

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 11:43 AM
A weak schedule (still), the good teams earlier are now not as good, and the close games with so-called weaker opponents will keep the Chants home this season as it should be. Sorry fellow Beach Chickens, but it's true so don't get your hopes up. :( :bang:

pull for Furman and a couple more bubble teams to lose

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 11:50 AM
This is a good point, AppGuy. Teams such as CCU, who are bubble teams right now, need to start hoping that conference leaders win out, limiting the number of at-large bids that would be taken in the event of conference co-championships.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 12:14 PM
This is a good point, AppGuy. Teams such as CCU, who are bubble teams right now, need to start hoping that conference leaders win out, limiting the number of at-large bids that would be taken in the event of conference co-championships.

i mean, if GSU beats Furman, that puts 3 SoCon teams in most likely, taking away a spot for teams like CCU

OL FU
October 31st, 2005, 12:17 PM

Are you saying pull for Furman to keep GSU out?

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM
Are you saying pull for Furman to keep GSU out?

no, thats what Coastal should do

you know I want you guys to lose so we can hoist the trophy :D

grizband
October 31st, 2005, 12:32 PM
CCU should also hope that things change in the Big Sky. The way things are going, the Big Sky could have 3 teams in the playoffs (UM, MSU, EWU).

OL FU
October 31st, 2005, 12:37 PM
:D
no, thats what Coastal should do

you know I want you guys to lose so we can hoist the trophy :D

You go through these threads too fast. First I read a post and I thought you were calling us a bubble team. So I replied. Then I read another post where you answered my question before I posted. So I deleted. and you replied to my deletion before I deleted it. :rotateh:

I have to start waiting until the end of the day to read this stuff all at once :D

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 12:39 PM

You go through these threads too fast. First I read a post and I thought you were calling us a bubble team. So I replied. Then I read another post where you answered my question before I posted. So I deleted. and you replied to my deletion before I deleted it. :rotateh:

I have to start waiting until the end of the day to read this stuff all at once :D

haha, sorry bro

GSUhooligan
October 31st, 2005, 12:49 PM

So you're admitting Furman folks are slow?? And I thought you were some high SAT touting snob school.