PDA

View Full Version : NEC week 4

aceinthehole
September 15th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Albany pulls off a nice win on Long Island to make up for the dissapointing Monmouth loss. RMU put up a good fight vs. Bucknell and could have won that one.

Here's what's on tap for week 4 in the NEC:

Wagner at Marist
North Carolina Central at Central Conn. St. (Harmony Classic)
Sacred Heart at Iona
Robert Morris at Dayton
Monmouth at Bryant
Albany at New Hampshire
St. Francis (PA) at Duquesne

dgreco
September 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Wagner at Marist - after the rebound from last week I think that Wagner shows they are still for real and they will win.
North Carolina Central at Central Conn. St. (Harmony Classic) - NCCU has had a tough season to start. CCSU should be good enough to win this one.
Sacred Heart at Iona - Iona is a little better, not much but they are at home. So IC takes the win on this win.
Robert Morris at Dayton - Dayton gets hated on here, but this is their game RMU played well the last 2 weeks but I think Dayton is much better
Monmouth at Bryant 17-1 at home in the last 18. A confident team, MU has been struggling recently. I think Bryant can still this win.
Albany at New Hampshire - UNH is the better team, but I am just going to root for UAlbany here. I like their team. I have a lot of respect for their Coach. Go Danes!
St. Francis (PA) at Duquesne - I just think Duquesne is a better team.

aceinthehole
September 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Wagner at Marist - Wagner (and their offense) will keep getting better each week; Marist doesn't appear as strong as in past seasons.

North Carolina Central at Central Conn. St. (Harmony Classic) - Central needs this and will win big running the ball; NCCU's has struggled so far and it looks like their defense is suspect.

Sacred Heart at Iona - Pioneers have taken care of business vs. two D-II foes; Iona is on the MAAC slide to oblivion.

Robert Morris at Dayton - Give the Flyers credit for another big win; RMU has shown signs of potential this season.

Monmouth at Bryant - Monmouth is too talented and well coached to drop this one; Bryant is a "fine" work in progress, but is not ready to beat a NEC perennial favorite, yet.

Albany at New Hampshire - Albany deserves respect and thanks from all NEC teams (and we will root for them this week); UNH is too deep and won't overlook the Danes.

St. Francis (PA) at Duquesne - SFPA is just bad (once again); the Dukes will temporally stand atop the NEC at 1-0.

Seahawks Fan
September 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Wagner at Marist - Seahawks should win this game by a comfortable margin
North Carolina Central at Central Conn. St. (Harmony Classic)
Sacred Heart at Iona - Iona showed some offense at Wagner.
Robert Morris at Dayton
Monmouth at Bryant - Monmouth should get their first win
Albany at New Hampshire
St. Francis (PA) at Duquesne Welcome to the NEC

dgreco
September 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
we need more discussion besides just picks in here! xtwocentsx

Ruler
September 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Wagner: which team shows up Jekyll or Hyde?

North Carolina Central: pulling for CCSU but I believe NCC has more athletically in terms of scholarships.

Sacred Heart: Giving benefit of the doubt. Not impressed with Iona

Dayton: Pumped from big win over Fordham.

Monmouth: Gonna take them to the wood shed. 3 losses will rear its ugly head and lay one on Bryant.

Duquesne: I want St. Francis but this is the same old story Red Flash.

New Hampshire: As Ace put it the days of looking past Albany at this level are over. Albany is very good this year but not UNH good. I would love a close loss or an upset but I feel UNH is gonna light up the Danes. 48-21

dgreco
September 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I know my pick for Bryant is some what of a homer pick, but come I am surprised, especially, after the CCSU game that everyone think it will be a blow out.

Bryant has a nice home field advantage too :D watch out!

Another game I am surprised about is how many people are picking NCCU over CCSU. I do not think NCCU has shown much this year to deserve all the picks.

Getting destroyed by JMU and Morgan St. and then losing by double digits to a mediocre DII Fayetteville St. team.

danefan
September 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I know my pick for Bryant is some what of a homer pick, but come I am surprised, especially, after the CCSU game that everyone think it will be a blow out.

Bryant has a nice home field advantage too :D watch out!

Another game I am surprised about is how many people are picking NCCU over CCSU. I do not think NCCU has shown much this year to deserve all the picks.

Getting destroyed by JMU and Morgan St. and then losing by double digits to a mediocre DII Fayetteville St. team.

I think Central will win and hopefully by a lot, but I'm not sold on CCSU yet.

dgreco
September 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I think Central will win and hopefully by a lot, but I'm not sold on CCSU yet.

Well teh way Monmouth and CCSU have started it looks like it will be UAlbany easy this year, but like you said I think CCSU is better than NCCU.

I think if Wagner didn't lose that Stonehill game they would be a serious threat. I think until they beat some more teams that will linger.

Having to make the trip game day hurt them.

danefan
September 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Wagner at Marist...Wagner turned it around a bit last week getting the offense going. Marist is pretty bad so Wagner should win. I think it will be close though.

North Carolina Central at Central Conn. St. (Harmony Classic)....Central is better than NCC. Not sure how much better, but definitely better. NCC will look like a DIII team compared to NDSU.

Sacred Heart at Iona .....Hopefully SHU can win, but I'm not sold and they have a great history of underachieving.

Robert Morris at Dayton ....Dayton is a really good football program. Coming off a good win over Fordham and being at home should put them over the top. RMU is better then I expected, as evidenced by a win over a decent Morehead team and a close loss at Bucknell. Dayton gets the nod here by way of comparable games. Fordham is the #2 team in the PL and Bucknell is probably the second to last team in the PL, only ahead of G'Town.

Monmouth at Bryant ....Monmouth is coming off a tough loss to Coastal. You have to wonder if they were just tired. Played two tough games against Maine and URI and then got smoked by Coastal. I think Monmouth is better then they showed last week and I think they'll win this game by 3 TD's. Bryant is going to be a good NEC team but not there yet.

Albany at New Hampshire .....Where do I start. Here's a shot: if Albany plays at UNH like they played at Hoftsra this game could get ugly. UNH is 3 TD's better than Hofstra. UNH had a shoot-out with URI but mainly because they haven't displayed any pass defense. Well lucky for them...Albany can't pass. I'm hopeful that the Danes can get their acts together this week and establish some kind of a passing game, even if that means running 30 5-yard slants. If Albany passes for 200 yards it will be close. I expect McCarty to get his 150+ yards again this game, but I do think UNH is too much for Albany. The Danes need to get out healthy with a good showing and move to Delaware.

St. Francis (PA) at Duquesne ...Nothing much to say here except I havne't seen the "redflash2" guy around lately. St. Francis looks like the same old St. Francis.

aceinthehole
September 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
UA fans,

Keep sleeping on CCSU.

Yes, they had first game jitters vs. Bryant, but we were too athletic for them. Bryant was playing with some good D-II talent. I think the win showed CCSU fight, when they could of quit and laid dowm.

The NDSU game may have had an ugly score, but we were physical with them. We ran on them well (as we did on Bryant). Here, we couldn't overcome our mistakes because this time the Bison had better talent.

NCCU is bad. They weren't a great D-II team (Bryant or Southern Conn is much better). This year they have been crushed by a top-10 JMU team and an average MEAC team - Morgan State. They lost their home opener to a D-II team and rushed for just 58 total yards in that game.

This is a game where CCSU will roll. We will score 35+ points and rush for more than 250 yards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=282642115

This game doesn't mean we will win the NEC title, but yes CCSU is built much like Albany. We are run heavy with a limited passing game. We have a solid defense. All around we have comparable size and speed to UA and Monmouth.

IMO the NEC is an wide open 3-team race. Next week will set the tone for the NEC.

CCSU at Delaware State - a CCSU win would be a huge feather in our cap and equal your Hofstra win.
Albany at Duquesne - NEC opener for UA vs. a good Dukes team.
Monmouth at RMU - NEC opener for both teams; is RMU a contender this year?

Remember last season the NEC title came down to the finale at CCSU. We have revenge on our minds from that game.

danefan
September 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think UA fans are necessarily "sleeping" on CCSU. CCSU has talent and is consistently one of the top 3 in the league. I just haven't seen anything that puts CCSU on the same level as Albany this year (didn't see the NDSU game so I can't use anything but stats and score). I didn't see anything last year for CCSU either and we know how that game turned out.

But, please believe me when I say, that I know an Albany/CCSU game is never a definite win for either team no matter what the records are or games played are. Its always a toss up. Just like any game between Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth.

UAalum72
September 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Albany-Duquesne isn't until Oct. 4. Delaware is next week.

But nobody better be sleeping on anybody yet.

redflash2
September 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hey St. Francis has had a tough start but they are not a bad team from what I've seen. They played VMI tough the score wouldn't indicate it but they looked decent. Against Marist they had them but the second half doomed them. I look for St. francis to put up a tough fight against the Dukes. I'll take SFU on this one.

Ruler
September 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I have to change my CCSU pick to CCSU. I was confused on who NCCU is. I thought CCSU were playing North Carolina A&T I think thats the program.

I honestly dont know anything about NCCU.

For the record I was the one sleeping on CCSU. IMHO Albany will be very tough to defend. Our passing game will start to shape up when we start playing the slower teams of the NEC. Our qb wont need to release as fast and our recs wont be buried by more athletic corners. This isint a dig against NEC teams its just a fact. NDSU and UMASS are far more superior and quick as opposed to Sacred Heart, Monmouth, or Albany. Traditionally teams have had trouble with our Offensive line and that is still true now. I dont think the NEC can stop McCarty.

But on Any Given Saturday.

redflash2
September 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Wagner at Marist Matrist is terrible, don't know how they beat SFU this past week....
North Carolina Central at Central Conn. St. (Harmony Classic) I'll Take NCCU too athletic for CCSU....
Sacred Heart at Iona Sacred Heart in this one....
Robert Morris at Dayton Dayton is OK this year they'll win this one
Monmouth at Bryant Monmouth will get on the winning track...
Albany at New Hampshire toss up I'll run wit Albany on this one
St. Francis (PA) at Duquesne I'll take SFU in the upset...

aceinthehole
September 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Albany-Duquesne isn't until Oct. 4. Delaware is next week.

But nobody better be sleeping on anybody yet.

opps! Very cool. Next week CCSU and Albany both head down to Delaware to face playoff teams (who played eacher in the first round) from last year. Certainly, Albany has the tougher game, but we can chat and hype up those games next week.

Exactly, no body better be sleeping on anyone. I too have big questions about my Blue Devils, but this week should set us right back on the path.

UA has a monster task at UNH, but it should be a good one.

dgreco
September 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
so what does everyone thing is the game of the week?

laugher of the week?

danefan
September 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM
so what does everyone thing is the game of the week?

laugher of the week?

There is a lot of good games this week.

Albany-UNH
CCSU-NCCU
RMU-Dayton

But I have to pick Albany-UNH. the NEC's only chance sending a team to the playoffs this year rests on the shoulders of Albany in the next two weeks. Lose both and there's no way Albany makes it even if they run the table in the NEC by 40 points a game. Beat either UNH or Delaware and run through the NEC and they should be in with an at-large.

No real laugher (as in blowout), although I think the Monmouth-Bryant game will be the largest margin of victory. 3TDs.xpeacex

seahawkfan2007
September 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Some interesting games this week. Here's my take:

Wagner @ Marist: Wagner is much better than their forgetable (hopefully) opening night loss at Stonehill and bounced back to a 45-28 win over Iona last week. Marist was outclassed by their first two opponents (San Diego and Lafayette) but picked up a 30-22 win vs. the Red Flash last week. In the last two meetings between these two teams Wagner is 2-0 and has outscored the Red Foxes 62-21 including a 38-7 win at Marist two years ago. I like our chances. Wagner 31-14
UNC Central @ Cent. Conn: Forget about the lopsided loss at D1 equivalent North Dakota State, CCSU is a good FCS team and UNC Central isn't. UNC Central's last win was in 2007 vs. lowly Savanah State and their next one won't be this week. Cent. Conn 34-10
Sacred Heart @ Iona: Tough pick. SHU is 2-0 vs. D2 and Iona's win is vs. D3, Delaware Valley. Although most of Iona's 28 pts. last week vs. Wagner were off two bad punt snaps and a fumbled KO return, they did move the the ball effectively. I want to pick the NEC team but think Iona at home wins a close one. Iona 28 Marist 24
RMU @ Dayton: Another close call but in this one I like the NEC team. Dayton had an impressive close win vs. Fordham last week and RMU a tough close loss vs. Bucknell. I'm picking a mild upset here. RMU 21-20
Monmouth @ Bryant: Bryant played CCSU well comming up short in a week one 35-42 loss. Monmouth, although 0-3, was only a little over a FG of beating URI and Maine. This won't be an easy one at Bryant but the Hawks will get their first W of 2008. Monmouth 38-20
Albany @ New Hampshire: I am really, really, really rooting for the Danes but UNH's O has seemed to have reloaded and I can't see the NEC team outscoring them. The Danes win vs. Hofstra last week was a great one for them (as well as the NEC) but a further reminder to the upper tier to be on guard. UNH 35-17 (I hope I'm wrong)
St. Francis (Pa) @ Duquesne: Are VMI and Marist really that good? The Red Flash will have flashes of brilliance in 2008 but no dark clouds in the sky yet. Is Duquesne the team that played in the first half or second half vs. Bucknell? Duquesne 38-24

Gordon Shumway
September 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I am very impressed with Albany. Starting the season with four OOC games on the road against CAA teams is to be commended. Unlike a certain West Coast team that for years whined on these boards about not getting any respect, Albany is attempting to earn their respect. I wish you guys the best of luck, just not this weekend. xlolx

dgreco
September 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I think the most exciting/hype worthy game will definitely be the UNH/UA game. I think the closest game will probably be the Sacred Heart/Iona game.

I hope the Bryant game isn't a blow out, but I think it could go either way. If it is like SBU last year and they have a big turnover in the red zone early they had their hopes down. If it is like CCSU and get some life it could be a close game. I just hope Bryant can come out and not look bad. A close lose will be tough to take in the short run, but what we will need for the long run.

danefan
September 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
FYI: The UNH/Albany game is going to be streamed online at http://unhwildcats.tv.

Its a pay-site but only $6.95 for single game access. Not too bad.

dgreco
September 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
FYI: The UNH/Albany game is going to be streamed online at http://unhwildcats.tv.

Its a pay-site but only $6.95 for single game access. Not too bad.

to add to that Bryant has all its games streamed on Penn. Last two home games were free I am not sure about this week.

danefan
September 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
to add to that Bryant has all its games streamed on Penn. Last two home games were free I am not sure about this week.

Video? Or just audio?

To clarify the Albany/UNH streaming is video streaming.

The Albany radio broadcast is free at www.foxsports980.com (http://www.foxsports980.com)

dgreco
September 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Video? Or just audio?

To clarify the Albany/UNH streaming is video streaming.

The Albany radio broadcast is free at www.foxsports980.com (http://www.foxsports980.com)

Video streaming. They have all audio streaming through WOON the local radio station.

Bryant vs. Monmouth (http://www.pennatlantic.com/main.php?tableName=event&fileName=results&recordId=&module=event-results&orderBy=&searchIt=yes&sport=0&month=0&day=01&year=2007&conferenceId=76&schoolId=0)

I guess the DII games were free, but these are only 5.95. Can't go wrong. It also streams the WOON broadcast which is good. The two guys have been doing the Bryant games for all 10 years so they actually know what they are talking about.

WrenFGun
September 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
You can get the UNH Radio Broadcast on yahoo for free, as well.

Hope to see a good deal of Great Danes fans at the game. Not the greatest of pre-game atmospheres, but always happy to see them doing well. Always a great matchup on the basketball court, too. Good luck, I for one won't be looking past this game.