PDA

View Full Version : SDSU - Not enough love or not tested?

89Hen
September 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I don't think there has been enough discussion on the Jackrabbits. I don't want to jinx them, but they are one win away from catapulting themselves into the top of I-AA this season. They are 2-0 in their first year in the MV having just won the "Cereal Bowl" and "Beef Bowl" (who knew they named all their games?). However, we don't know how good or bad WIU or YSU are, and they haven't played a MV away game yet. They get their chance this week at Northern Iowa. A win this week should put SDSU in everyone's top 10 if not top 5. A loss brings them back to reality a little bit, but keeps them in good shape.

What's the scoop MV fans?

BEAR
September 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'm not an MV fan but I can tell you from past experience with SDSU that they should be a legit top 10 team. UCA is ranked in the top 20 and they easily handled us! They are legit and deserve a top ten ranking! xthumbsupx

GradBison
September 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM
SDSU is currently the most underrated team in the top 25, the UNI game is going to be very telling. What another great match up in the MVFC.

appfan2008
September 15th, 2008, 08:26 AM
could we have sdsu and ndsu representing the mvfc in the playoffs this year?... this week could go along way to make that happen for sdsu

Hoyadestroya85
September 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
i think the latter is the answer.. but this seems like it is a good football team

McNeese72
September 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hopefully we can give them a good test on Oct 4th. We sure as hell have plenty of time to get ready for them. We have an open date (McNeese fans are already having football withdrawal symptoms) this week and play Southern Virginia (who?????) the next week.

They don't have hurricanes in Brookings, do they? ;)

Now, if I can only get a seat on the team charter.

Doc

bisonguy
September 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM
In recent years, SDSU has started rather sluggishly. The possibility of the playoffs might be motivation enough (the proverbial carrot dangling in front of them xlolx ) to have a great start out of the gate.

A win over UNI definitely puts them in the top 10, possibly catapulting them into the front spot in the top 25 for the MVFC (yeah, that means ranking them ahead of NDSU).

MSUBear42
September 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I was expecting this from NDSU, but SDSU has really surprised a lot of people so far. Congrats, Rabbits!

RabidRabbit
September 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Jacks are on track for 8-4/ 9-3 year, with no non-counters, and 7 pre-season rated teams, plus FBS Iowa St. I think that may get them into play-offs.

Jacks do well at home, usually, although UNI beat Jacks soundly in Brookings last year. Yes, the UNI game at Cedar Falls will be a very telling game.

All Coach Stig asks for from his players is to be 1-0 each week. So far, in MoValley play, Jacks are there. UNI here come the RABBITS!!!! xthumbsupx

BISON Thunder
September 15th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I have you ranked #8 in the country...highest of any MVC member.

Go Bison
September 15th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I don't think the Jacks will lose any of their home games. The real test is what will they do on the road. UNI will be the first test, then Carbondale and then Fargo. If the Jacks win at UNI they could be in the drivers seat in the MVFC.

89rabbit
September 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Big game this weekend, the past two seasons we have been ahead of UNI at half, we need to finish strong in Cedar Falls. I will be at the UNI dome this weekend and expect a battle.

As far as being tested . . . well so far we have played a FBS school, and two top 20 ranked FCS schools with another one on Saturday. Anyone else been that untested so far this season? xeekx xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Big game this weekend, the past two seasons we have been ahead of UNI at half, we need to finish strong in Cedar Falls. I will be at the UNI dome this weekend and expect a battle.

As far as being tested . . . well so far we have played a FBS school, and two top 20 ranked FCS schools with another one on Saturday. Anyone else been that untested so far this season? xeekx xthumbsupx

YSU may have been ranked but you know as well as most knowledgable FCS fans that ranking was off. No knock on YSU but I wouldn't consider that a high water point. Western Illinois so far is the biggest test you have had and to your credit you won but that game did go down to the wire. So you got beat by an FBS, beat YSU which this year is looking like a middle of the pack MVFC at best and Western Ill which is a good team. UNI will tell quite a bit more about the Bunnies.

mebisonII
September 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I don't think there has been enough discussion on the Jackrabbits. I don't want to jinx them, but they are one win away from catapulting themselves into the top of I-AA this season. They are 2-0 in their first year in the MV having just won the "Cereal Bowl" and "Beef Bowl" (who knew they named all their games?). However, we don't know how good or bad WIU or YSU are, and they haven't played a MV away game yet. They get their chance this week at Northern Iowa. A win this week should put SDSU in everyone's top 10 if not top 5. A loss brings them back to reality a little bit, but keeps them in good shape.

What's the scoop MV fans?

I think they don't get talked about because they're too darn nice. I can't think of one of their posters that most people consider a PITA. Come on Jacks, step it up! You gotta stir the water a little to get noticed! xnonox

Your northern counterparts can probably provide some examples, if you really need them xsmiley_wix

WrenFGun
September 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I have SDSU ranked 7th.

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have them at 13 which may be a bit low however as my previous post stated I think they need to prove a bit more before cracking the top ten. A win this weekend will definately do it as they would move up quite a bit.

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM
What no love for the Panthers? We did (alot) better against BYU than UCLA did.

The Jacks are coming to the Dome, where we have an 80% win record. Two weeks to prepare and a sellout crowd - if the Jacks win, they will earn it.

mmiller_34
September 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
YSU may have been ranked but you know as well as most knowledgable FCS fans that ranking was off. No knock on YSU but I wouldn't consider that a high water point. Western Illinois so far is the biggest test you have had and to your credit you won but that game did go down to the wire. So you got beat by an FBS, beat YSU which this year is looking like a middle of the pack MVFC at best and Western Ill which is a good team. UNI will tell quite a bit more about the Bunnies.

This is completely true. I've been to all the SDSU games this year, and I'm just going to skip the Iowa St. game because, its just a bad subject xbawlingx

Youngstown St is definately in their rebuilding years. They'll be back to normal in a couple years. Not yet deserving of a top 25 ranking

Western Illinois is a GOOD team. If they had been able to run the ball even a little bit, they would have won. SDSU's defensive line is absolutely ridiculous. If WIU would have opened up the playbook more in the first half and started out more balanced, I'm fairly certain the 'Necks would have beaten us by 10.

Next week is a BIG week for SDSU, I've been to the last 2 meetings between SDSU and UNI. UNI just seems to always kick it in gear when it means the most; SDSU was unable to do that the past 2 years. We'll see I guess.

If i was voting, I would have SDSU at #11.

89rabbit
September 15th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Remind me again about who has "tested" the Bison so far. ;) xlolx

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:WwkuGlEmT_9qyM:http://media.ksfy.com/images/sdsu%2520upsets%2520ndsu.JPG

2007 Dakota Marker Game

SDSU 29 - NDSU 24

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I've been saying for years WIU is overrated. xcoolx

89rabbit
September 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
This is completely true. I've been to all the SDSU games this year, and I'm just going to skip the Iowa St. game because, its just a bad subject xbawlingx

Youngstown St is definately in their rebuilding years. They'll be back to normal in a couple years. Not yet deserving of a top 25 ranking

Western Illinois is a GOOD team. If they had been able to run the ball even a little bit, they would have won. SDSU's defensive line is absolutely ridiculous. If WIU would have opened up the playbook more in the first half and started out more balanced, I'm fairly certain the 'Necks would have beaten us by 10.

Next week is a BIG week for SDSU, I've been to the last 2 meetings between SDSU and UNI. UNI just seems to always kick it in gear when it means the most; SDSU was unable to do that the past 2 years. We'll see I guess.

Please remember that both of SDSU's starting safties were injured during the game and did not finish the game. An ugly W is better then a pretty L! xnodx

Benne
September 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I didn't realize it was the safeties, but our secondary was awfully soft in the second half. Makes a little sense now.

mmiller_34
September 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Please remember that both of SDSU's starting safties were injured during the game and did not finish the game. An ugly W is better then a pretty L! xnodx

Haha, Also true. I forgot about that, that would have helped. Any idea if they'll be back in the line-up next weekend?

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM
If they had been able to run the ball even a little bit, they would have won. SDSU's defensive line is absolutely ridiculous. If WIU would have opened up the playbook more in the first half and started out more balanced, I'm fairly certain the 'Necks would have beaten us by 10.

I have not seen the game, but I thought WIU's offense was Herb Donaldson. Did things change?

Is Patterson being out affecting the team that much?

McNeese75
September 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Jacks are on a roll but there are a few games on the horizon that will reveal how their rubber meets the road xnodx

mmiller_34
September 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I have not seen the game, but I thought WIU's offense was Herb Donaldson. Did things change?

They passed the ball 50 times, probably 35 of them in the 2nd half.

Donaldson had less than 40 yards

89rabbit
September 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080915/SPORTS0202/809150322/1002/SPORTS

SDSU defense sets tone of victory

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • September 15, 2008

BROOKINGS - In hindsight, maybe South Dakota State defended the run too well.

The No. 13-ranked Jackrabbits held No. 15 Western Illinois - boasting the fifth-best ground game in the Football Championship Subdivision - to 65 yards on 29 carries in a 24-22 victory in Missouri Valley Football Conference play Saturday night at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. It was a vast departure from the 2007 meeting between the two when the Leathernecks gained 248 yards on 53 rushes in a quadruple overtime win in Macomb.

Western Illinois All-American tailback Herb Donaldson, a candidate for national player of the year, was especially stymied with 43 yards on 18 attempts with one fumble. The 5-foot-11, 225-pound senior, who has rushed for more than 1,400 yards in consecutive seasons, hadn't been held to such a low total in any of his previous 23 career starts.

"It wasn't working for us early," quarterback Matt Barr said of the run game. "South Dakota State did a great job stopping Herb, and not many people have been able to do that in his whole career."

The Jacks (2-1, 2-0) led 24-0 at the break, forcing the Leathernecks to be one-dimensional on offense – and not in the way they wanted. Putting up more pass attempts (50), pass completions (27) and pass yards (284) than it did in the first two games combined, Western Illinois rallied for 22 unanswered points in the second half, taking advantage of an SDSU secondary that lost starting safeties Brock Campbell and Conrad Kjerstad to injury. . . . (read more)

jackrabbit1979
September 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I think their offense still starts and ends with Donaldson. Jacks just completely shut down their All-American and rushing offense in the first half (our front seven is really good!xnodx ) and they were down 24-0 coming out of the locker room so may felt the need to sling it around a little more.

I think WIU is a really good team and will win a lot of games this year, we got away with holding on to a victory on Saturday after we got dinged up on defense (2 starting safeties and starting D-tackle sat out almost all of the 2nd half) and our offensive play calling became really conservative. We had a lot of success going down field in the passing game in the first half and didn't even try it after the break. WIU must have made some good adjustments in the locker room as they were the better team in the 2nd half. I hope we get our guys healthy on defense, I think it would have made a difference against Western and will be important this weekend against UNI.

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Remind me again about who has "tested" the Bison so far. ;) xlolx

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:WwkuGlEmT_9qyM:http://media.ksfy.com/images/sdsu%2520upsets%2520ndsu.JPG

2007 Dakota Marker Game

SDSU 29 - NDSU 24

Wyoming would be the only one and we failed that test I'll be the first to admit that. But I think if I were you I'd wait to be blowing my own horn to loud until after this week. UNI on the road for the bunnies will be the biggest test you have had so far. I'm not counting the FBS loss either but if I was you guys failed that one miserably also. So with that being said so far you have one gimme (YSU) and one good test (WIU). Do you still want to go on talking about tests? I'll be the first to congratulate you if you win on Saturday but I will also be the first to question your "Being Tested" theory if you don't win.

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
What's the injury update for SDSU? Are those safeties out for the UNI game? If so, it could be a long day for the Jacks.

Cap'n Cat
September 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Not tested.

Like the Jacks and the JackNation, but UNI will take them down, 26-13.

RabidRabbit
September 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
What's the injury update for SDSU? Are those safeties out for the UNI game? If so, it could be a long day for the Jacks.

I believe the expectation is that the safeties will be back for the UNI game.

I sort of agree that SDSU has been slaughtered by FBS Iowa St., slaughtered a team with injuries, rebuilding (but they may be better than expected too, they haven't really been in competition in their 3 games), and had a knock-out/dragdown bruising battle with WIU.

Returning 9 on O, 9 on D, and FG/PAT kicker with record 129 PATs in row (now broken by SDSU), I believe Western may be as discounted now as the Jacks. We'll see into Oct. if that's true.

89rabbit
September 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Wyoming would be the only one and we failed that test I'll be the first to admit that. But I think if I were you I'd wait to be blowing my own horn to loud until after this week. UNI on the road for the bunnies will be the biggest test you have had so far. I'm not counting the FBS loss either but if I was you guys failed that one miserably also. So with that being said so far you have one gimme (YSU) and one good test (WIU). Do you still want to go on talking about tests? I'll be the first to congratulate you if you win on Saturday but I will also be the first to question your "Being Tested" theory if you don't win.

What? I can't hear you, these guys to the North of us blow their horn 24/7 364 days a year. The only day I didn't hear it was Nov. 17, 2007. ;) xnodx xlolx

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/markerSAT6.jpg

Bison fans, you know I love you (except when we go head to head), but you guys lecturing anyone about horn blowing is kind of comical.

Even you have to admit that Youngstown State and Western Ill. are far better then Austin Peay and Central Connecticut State, right?

Benne
September 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
That's right, the Jacks are untested and haven't beat anybody that didn't have it coming for being over rated. Don't even bother buying tickets, it won't be much of a game.

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
What? I can't hear you, these guys to the North of us blow their horn 24/7 364 days a year. The only day I didn't hear it was Nov. 17, 2007. ;) xnodx xlolx

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/markerSAT6.jpg

Bison fans, you know I love you (except when we go head to head), but you guys lecturing anyone about horn blowing is kind of comical.

Even you have to admit that Youngstown State and Western Ill. are far better then Austin Peay and Central Connecticut State, right?

Hey at least we beat the teams we are supposed to beat and they are DI, Anyone remember a DIII UWL winning in Brookings last year? Lets just wait and see how you fair this weekend fair enoughxrolleyesx

Rabbitlivinginverm
September 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hey at least we beat the teams we are supposed to beat and they are DI, Anyone remember a DIII UWL winning in Brookings last year? Lets just wait and see how you fair this weekend fair enoughxrolleyesx

I don't. At least not last year...

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=64627&SPID=7153&DB_OEM_ID=15000&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2007

Go Bison
September 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I don't. At least not last year...

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=64627&SPID=7153&DB_OEM_ID=15000&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2007

You got BisonBacker on that one!

Seriously, I would have rather had NDSU ranked lower to start the season and then work higher as the season goes on like SDSU is currently doing.

I still don't know how the Jacks got beat so bad in Ames.

Rabbitlivinginverm
September 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
You got BisonBacker on that one!

Seriously, I would have rather had NDSU ranked lower to start the season and then work higher as the season goes on like SDSU is currently doing.

I still don't know how the Jacks got beat so bad in Ames.

I'm with you...I have no problem with the Rabbits flying under the radar.

How did we get beat so bad in Ames??? 5 INT's. 3 of 'em inside the 20. 6 total turnovers. I think they only had two drives start outside the 50. That's how. Gotta play near perfect even to beat a crappy FBS team. We didn't do that.

jmc_jackrabbit
September 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Just finished shooting The John Stiegelmeier Show for this week. Editing it now. I'll post when I'm done. In short, Coach Stig would tell you that every week is an opportunity to prove yourself and his team's lone goal is to be 1-0 each week. He has nothing but respect for UNI, as do all Jacks fans that I know. We've played them tough of late, leading both of our last two meetings at halftime, but UNI's savvy QB Sanders did us in. He's gone, but nobody's got any illusions that this is a "weak" UNI team. They're very good and it'll take our best effort to win in a tough environment.

I know that our defense is very good (I doubt anyone will hold Herb Donaldson to 40 yards again this year). If safeties Conrad Kjerstad and Brock Campbell can't play Saturday, their replacements are a senior, Nash Simet, and two very athletic younger players, junior Joseph Blackman and RFr. Anthony Wise who switch off in that position. That could be a key, although our pass rush is so good that it does limit the exposure of our secondary.

Who'll win? Who knows? UNI is a great program and it'll be a classic MVFC battle.

siuham
September 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
If they beat UNI this weekend and aren't in the top 5 of every poll in the nation, I will be surprised.

Regardless, they're a top 10 team to me right now.

crunifan
September 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
After our disappointing performance against South Dakota, I don't have any idea what to expect from UNI this year. The Panthers have a history of high expectations and falling in even years, so until we beat a team of importance, I view this game very very carefully.

With that said, UNI very very very rarely is ever embarrassed at home, so I expect a close, good game.

FerociousCat
September 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Both...SDSU didn't show up in Ames so that test is invalid. Wins over both YSU & WIU deserve love under any circumstances.

Looking forward to Saturday!

slostang
September 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I have talked with Cal Poly player over the past few years and most would say that South Dakota State is the most physical team they face each year. The biggest difference between the Jacks now vs when they first moved up is now not only are they physical, but they have added speed to their skilled positions. I expect the Jacks to do very well in the MVFC this year and in future years.

JackTwice
September 15th, 2008, 08:18 PM
This thread has finally opened my eyes to what NDSU fans (BisonBacker) are made of.

They definitely suffer from middle child syndrome. Don't like it when people talk about their perceived bigger brothers (Montana, APP etc) and don't like it when people talk about their percieved little brothers (UND, SDSU etc). All along the way they bark and bark and bark just to be sure they are getting the attention they "deserve".

Its a classic case

On to the topic at hand. These Jacks are good. They have won at least their last 6 FCS games including the vaunted Bison, Cal Poly, a solid WIU team, UCA just to name a few. This road test will be another big test but win or lose this team will finish the season in contention for the playoffs.

NDB
September 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
back to the title of the thread. who cares. the Jacks are getting it done.

Jacks02
September 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM

The biggest reason they've done that to us the last two times was Sanders at QB and he is gone now. I gotta think they've had a fair dropoff in the QB position from last year to now, and with our D-Line I'm confident we can keep their running game in check.

Its really tough to judge either the Rabbits or Panthers right now based on our schedules so far. We played horrible against Iowa St. and got blown out. Beat a questionable Youngstown St. and a good Western Illinois team. Meanwhile Northern Iowa had a fairly close game against South Dakota and lost a fairly close game to BYU who blew out UCLA. Question is if Northern Iowa/USD and BYU/Northern Iowa games were both close because Northern Iowa and BYU were playing close to the vest and not showing anything for upcoming conference oppenents or if those games were actually representative of each teams talent levels.

This week should begin to clear up the picture. I still haven't decided yet if I'm going to make the drive to the game or enjoy it at home here in South Dakota, but I think it should be a great one.

FargoBison
September 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
This thread has finally opened my eyes to what NDSU fans (BisonBacker) are made of.

They definitely suffer from middle child syndrome. Don't like it when people talk about their perceived bigger brothers (Montana, APP etc) and don't like it when people talk about their percieved little brothers (UND, SDSU etc). All along the way they bark and bark and bark just to be sure they are getting the attention they "deserve".

Its a classic case

You might want to reread the thread, I believe almost every Bison fan gave the Jacks a lot of respect in this thread. As for UND, that is just plain old hate, you should know better then using them in your analysis.

I see nothing wrong with what Backer said, if you want to be a top team go in and beat a great team in their house. That is how you get respect of being a top ranked team, if saying that means I have some type of syndrome as well, so be it.

UNIFanSince1983
September 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Like other Panther fans have stated I don't know what to expect out of UNI this year. So far I have been very impressed with the Jacks. I know they have played both MVFC teams at home, but beating WIU and YSU is always a pretty decent accomplishment.

Either way I will be in attendance and expect to see a great game in the UNI-Dome.

Go Panthers!

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Its a classic case

On to the topic at hand. These Jacks are good. They have won at least their last 6 FCS games including the vaunted Bison, Cal Poly, a solid WIU team, UCA just to name a few. This road test will be another big test but win or lose this team will finish the season in contention for the playoffs.

Wow where did that come from? I've given props to SDSU here and on the SDSU board for the wins. I (and may other fans not only NDSU)question the win against YSU only due to the YSU team being over rated at the beginiing of the year which is a valid point and now "all Bison Fans" have a case of middle child syndrome? You have a good team what more do you want Bison fans to say? Get over yourself already there is much left of this season, if and when you get to the end of the season and into the playoffs then come back and start bragging. Right now you sound a a little to full of yourself and your team is 2-1 just the same as the Bison xnonox

RabidRabbit
September 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Wow where did that come from? I've given props to SDSU here and on the SDSU board for the wins. I (and may other fans not only NDSU)question the win against YSU only due to the YSU team being over rated at the beginiing of the year which is a valid point and now "all Bison Fans" have a case of middle child syndrome? You have a good team what more do you want Bison fans to say? Get over yourself already there is much left of this season, if and when you get to the end of the season and into the playoffs then come back and start bragging. Right now you sound a a little to full of yourself and your team is 2-1 just the same as the Bison xnonox

I will be really surprised if Penguins make a game of it for the Bison, but if two top RB's are out for Bison, this game could be an eye opener on the Jacks. Good luck Bison!

UNI vs SDSU will be a defining game. If the Jacks wrestle out a win IN CEDAR FALLS, they WILL be the Driver for the conference title, with the last two games vs SIU & NDSU being the title game. If UNI wins, shows that the current is likely to be the future king of the MoValley.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I will be really surprised if Penguins make a game of it for the Bison, but if two top RB's are out for Bison, this game could be an eye opener on the Jacks. Good luck Bison!

UNI vs SDSU will be a defining game. If the Jacks wrestle out a win IN CEDAR FALLS, they WILL be the Driver for the conference title, with the last two games vs SIU & NDSU being the title game. If UNI wins, shows that the current is likely to be the future king of the MoValley.

Agreed Rabbid if you win in UNI you are definately in the drivers seat. Jacks have a good team.

X-Factor
September 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Paschall out, Roehl is a game time decision. The two redshirts have played in all of our games this year, coaches have confidence in them.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/214960

jackmd
September 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
What no love for the Panthers? We did (alot) better against BYU than UCLA did.

The Jacks are coming to the Dome, where we have an 80% win record. Two weeks to prepare and a sellout crowd - if the Jacks win, they will earn it.

I think this is the key point. I feel like the pressure is on UNI. I expected the Jacks to win these 2 games at home. The blowout over YSU was more about their struggles. We are stong enough on both lines to compete with anybody in the FCS rankings on our home field in front of our home fans. We should have finished WIU off early in the 3rd quarter. The penalty and then pick right after the 2nd half kickoff tightened everyones sphincter and we got way too conservative on offense and defense. Credit WIU for making proper adjustments and giving us all we could or wanted to handle. The injuries to our safeties and stud D-lineman didn't help but are not an excuse.

Now, we go on the road for the biggest game of the year thus far. That goes for both UNI and SDSU. UNI is coming of the bye week, will they be complacent or fired up and ready? Jacks look as good as I have ever seen them. Dominating both sides in the trenches. We need Berry to have his best game of the season thus far at QB. We probably need our kicker to hit a couple of FG's and thats a big question mark. We can't have stupid penalties and the injuries need to be minimal. All that said, we are going to give UNI one heck of a game.

From there its on the road to SFA, should win that one even considering the travel. Then we get McNeese at home for homecoming. We'll have 15,000 in the stands and a 7 game winning streak at home with the last 4 victories over ranked teams. I think the Cowboys in going to be in some trouble.

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Honestly, I would expect that Farley has been channeling Woody Hayes v Michigan for the past two weeks.

QB Patrick Grace has had a couple of weeks to a- heal up from the BYU beating, b- correct issues based on real game play. He had not started a game in the past three years, so the rust is coming off.

Are the domes in Fargo and Vermilion similar to the UNIDOME, i.e., flat surface? And the noise? This seems to be a consideration for teams that have not experienced it.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Honestly, I would expect that Farley has been channeling Woody Hayes v Michigan for the past two weeks.

QB Patrick Grace has had a couple of weeks to a- heal up from the BYU beating, b- correct issues based on real game play. He had not started a game in the past three years, so the rust is coming off.

Are the domes in Fargo and Vermilion similar to the UNIDOME, i.e., flat surface? And the noise? This seems to be a consideration for teams that have not experienced it.

I think the dome in Vermillion and the UNIDome would be more comparable to each other moreso then either with the FargoDome. But you are correct regarding the noise, teams who regularly play in domes don't have the problems as those that are not used to it. But teams like Montana already have enough noise so I don't think domes bother teams like that. If you play in front of lots of fans and they make noise I don't think it matters dome or no dome.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
SDSU has played in all three so I don't think the noise will bother them either.

89Hen
September 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I've been saying for years WIU is overrated. xcoolx
All four of the Illinois teams may make the top ten in overrated the last 5-10 years. xeyebrowx xconfusedx

RabidRabbit
September 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Never been to the FargoDome. However, I know (worked on construction of) the Dakota Dome was virtually a clone of the UNIDome. I believe both have replaced the original fiberglass fabric roofs, but still shouldn't matter construction wise.

BTW, Yote fans - Did permanent bleachers get added to west side of DakotaDome? Or still using the upper level for other sports/intermurals?xconfusedx xconfusedx

jackmd
September 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM

UNIdome and Dakotadump are pretty similar. Small domes, no endzone seating, very little room for entry or on the concourse. UNIdome is a little nicer. The bench seats have backs, dump has bleachers on the one side.

I must admit, I haven't been in the Dakotadump for at least 8 years now so its probably improved some. UNIdome is usable but I don't desire a similar facility in Brookings, SD. Crowd is great at UNI but I know our guys will be prepared for it. Going to be one hell of a game.

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I know last year for the Delaware game, the UD fans were talking crap about using a silent count to handle the noise. Flacco ended up taking a timeout almost immediately because he could check off at the line. I can't remember, but I believe they used all of their TOs rather quick.

It would have been louder other than many of the roads had all but been shut down for an ice storm that day, and we were missing about 3-4K. 17K max.

That said, they still beat us by simply using slants and screens all day.

jackmd
September 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I know last year for the Delaware game, the UD fans were talking crap about using a silent count to handle the noise. Flacco ended up taking a timeout almost immediately because he could check off at the line. I can't remember, but I believe they used all of their TOs rather quick.

It would have been louder other than many of the roads had all but been shut down for an ice storm that day, and we were missing about 3-4K. 17K max.

Ryan Berry is not Joe Flacco. I've been to the UNIdome, it gets REALLY loud. Our coaches will have to prepare the guys for that. Its going to be a beautiful weekend to play football indoors.

89Hen
September 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM

The first series was rough, but after that the Hens calmed down. FWIW, the Hens had three false starts on the day.... the same number as the Panthers. xeyebrowx

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
The first series was rough, but after that the Hens calmed down. FWIW, the Hens had three false starts on the day.... the same number as the Panthers. xeyebrowx

UD calmed down because we hardly came close to touching Flacco that day. Making me think about that game makes me want to take up smoking again - wait, I never smoked previously.xoopsx

89rabbit
September 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a76293a49-ca3c-4b81-beeb-d3c1c295ad42&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Jacks02
September 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
We handled 46,000 fans at Iowa St. pretty well as far as play-calling/false starts/etc. I don't think the noise should be too much of an issue.

Cap'n Cat
September 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Jacks are a team in the MVFC future. UNI and SIU will run the table for a few more years. I see playoffs for the Rabbits next year, however.

xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Jacks are a team in the MVFC future. UNI and SIU will run the table for a few more years. I see playoffs for the Rabbits next year, however.

xnodx

UNI and SIU will not run the table this yr or next yr.

Bison will not lose a home...will beat SIU by 2 tds at least

Bison/UNI will be a good one....many Bison fans, including me, are making the trip to CF

Jacks are going to be tough for everyone

Jacks/UNI this sat should be a good one

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
We handled 46,000 fans at Iowa St. pretty well as far as play-calling/false starts/etc. I don't think the noise should be too much of an issue.

Difference is that the ISU fans were all yelling at their team to do something, for God's sake. Or at each other. We will be shouting at you.

We have a lid, and the fans start at about 10' from the sideline. Hide you playbook. xsmiley_wix

FerociousCat
September 16th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Iowa St is not a difficult place to play. I'd gladly take 15,000 in the Dome over 55,000 @ Jack Trice.

One difference between SDSU's visit in 2006 will hopefully be a larger more raucous crowd. Maybe 11,000 attended that one & most were still shell-shocked from the ND debacle the week prior.

jackrabbit1979
September 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Iowa St is not a difficult place to play. I'd gladly take 15,000 in the Dome over 55,000 @ Jack Trice.

One difference between SDSU's visit in 2006 will hopefully be a larger more raucous crowd. Maybe 11,000 attended that one & most were still shell-shocked from the ND debacle the week prior.

We've played in Fargo, and as much as I despise the place, the Fargodome is a lot larger, louder, and more intimidating for us (we have a huge losing streak hanging over our head there) than the UNIdome.

You have a great crowd and atmosphere, but it won't be the difference in the game. I'm more worried about our banged up defensive secondary and turnover possibilities on either side.

UNI Pike
September 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Fargo Dome caps out at about 19K for a FB game, or about 2-2.5K more than the UNIDOME.

The main difference is that there are seats in the end zones. Do not know what that means other than fewer nosebleed seats.

Oh yea, we have green painted concrete for "turf".

jmc_jackrabbit
September 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
FWIW: Here's a link to this week's John Stiegelmeier Show. Stig talks about WIU and about the upcoming game with UNI. For you Iowans (and Minnesotans and South Dakotans and Missourians) this episode airs on the Mediacom Connections channel beginning tomorrow.

http://www.gojacks.com/newMediaPlayer/console.htm?type=vod&oemid=15000&id=144242&KEY=SNUPNXZVCPWWTXR.20080917154412&DB_MENU_ID=2581&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=15000&CLIP_ID=139575&CLIP_FILE_ID=144242

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think the Dome will be that much of a difference in the game. Even though it is supposed to be a 7 point advantage in our favor.

I know SDSU has a good defensive front, and held down Herb really well last week. We, however, have Corey Lewis and a different style of rushing attack than the Leathernecks. If they are able to hold C Lew in check though it could be a long day for the Panthers.

I don't think it will be a blowout either way because both teams defensive fronts are just too good. I am not in the business of predicting scores, but I can predict there will be one hell of a football game in the UNIDome this weekend!

UNI Pike
September 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
FWIW: Here's a link to this week's John Stiegelmeier Show. Stig talks about WIU and about the upcoming game with UNI. For you Iowans (and Minnesotans and South Dakotans and Missourians) this episode airs on the Mediacom Connections channel beginning tomorrow.

http://www.gojacks.com/newMediaPlayer/console.htm?type=vod&oemid=15000&id=144242&KEY=SNUPNXZVCPWWTXR.20080917154412&DB_MENU_ID=2581&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=15000&CLIP_ID=139575&CLIP_FILE_ID=144242

Good, informative show. Nice work.

jackmd
September 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think the Dome will be that much of a difference in the game. Even though it is supposed to be a 7 point advantage in our favor.

I know SDSU has a good defensive front, and held down Herb really well last week. We, however, have Corey Lewis and a different style of rushing attack than the Leathernecks. If they are able to hold C Lew in check though it could be a long day for the Panthers.

I don't think it will be a blowout either way because both teams defensive fronts are just too good. I am not in the business of predicting scores, but I can predict there will be one hell of a football game in the UNIDome this weekend!

My take and its not worth much. I think it any body's game. To expect a win in the UNIdome is a little more than I'm ready to admit to. However, UNI did appear vulnerable, at least on paper, in the usd game. I've been in the UNIdome and the environment is hostile to say the least.

I think the Jacks can win a close game. I don't look for either team to win by more than 10 but if there is a blowout I don't think we'll be on the right end of it. We have a darn good team but we are banged up, UNI is rested, and we are on the road. That said, I like our chances and thats all the really matters. Wish I could be there, I will be listening.

89Hen
September 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
The Jacks are coming to the Dome, where we have an 80% win record.
I had meant to make mention of this before... is 80% really that impressive? Don't get me wrong UNI is a solid program and any time you play in a place where you can make noise and the crowd knows how to do it, you have an advantage. Why I say that may not be that impressive is that by my quick math UNI has an overall .700 win percentage in the past 10 full seasons (1998-07). Throw in that in those ten years you've hosted Mankato State, Minn-Deluth, Mankato, Northern Mich, Wayne State, Wayne State, Morningside (?) and Central Washington... and lost 7 I-A road games... is 80% at home really impressive? Sounds like you perform against I-AA's on the road as well as you do at home. xpeacex

Houndawg
September 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I had meant to make mention of this before... is 80% really that impressive? Don't get me wrong UNI is a solid program and any time you play in a place where you can make noise and the crowd knows how to do it, you have an advantage. Why I say that may not be that impressive is that by my quick math UNI has an overall .700 win percentage in the past 10 full seasons (1998-07). Throw in that in those ten years you've hosted Mankato State, Minn-Deluth, Mankato, Northern Mich, Wayne State, Wayne State, Morningside (?) and Central Washington... and lost 7 I-A road games... is 80% at home really impressive? Sounds like you perform against I-AA's on the road as well as you do at home. xpeacex

The crowd has been the difference more than once when SIU has played there.

UNI Pike
September 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Sorry to hijack this on a tangent->

The 80% figure is since 1976 when to UNIDOME opened - we are now 161-41-1 79.3% (161/203) at home. During that time, Delaware is 172-53-3 75.4% (172/228) at home.

Since 1976 UD has played West Chester (alot), US Merchant Marines and others, including Navy. The FBS programs surrounding UNI are prohibited by conference rules from playing on the road against FCS teams.

However, the difference is that UD has many more FCS teams within a short travel distance, as compared to UNI. Our closest FCS competitor is Drake (PFL non scholly) and then Univ of South Dakota (FCS transitional this year) is the next closest at nearly 300 miles. The closest fully qualified FCS team (this year) is SDSU at 350 miles - roughly the distance Youngstown State is from Newark.

There are only so many teams willing to get on a plane and come play a tough team. Getting on a bus to play a tough team is a different cost equation for an AD. How many teams want to get on a plane to play Montana, UD, App State or Furman?

I would love if we could schedule regular season home & homes with App State, Montana, Furman, UD or any of the other FCS powerhouses. However, because of the costs involved, it will likely never happen. So, we play who ever we can find.

xpeacex

89Hen
September 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Sorry to hijack this on a tangent->

The 80% figure is since 1976 when to UNIDOME opened - we are now 161-41-1 79.3% (161/203) at home. During that time, Delaware is...
I'm not sure you got my point. I wasn't comparing your 80% figure to somebody else's home percentage. I was comparing it to your overall or road percentage. Your win percentage in the last 10 years is .700 so 80% isn't that much higher. Obviously you win more at home than on the road (most teams do), but take out the DII home wins and the I-A road losses and the difference shrinks even more. I was just saying that you are almost as successful on the road vs. I-AA's as you are at home. xpeacex

jmc_jackrabbit
September 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Highlights from the SDSU/WIU game on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXNv6oGIA4

McNeese72
September 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Highlights from the SDSU/WIU game on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXNv6oGIA4

Damn, you change the helmets and a few numbers, you'd think you were watching highlights of McNeese. :)

Inside Cowboy Football Highlight Show (http://media.myfoxlakecharles.com/special/head/mcneesecowboys.html)

Doc

THE HERD
September 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM
SDSU is for real and their D-Line is stout! As long as the Jacks get their safeties back for this game they will win and possibly even if they don't. UNI will have to throw to win, because they won't be running much on the Jacks. Kick some Panther a$$ Jacks! I just hope we can get a win at YSU and then head into our by week so we can heal up, injuries are killing us.xoopsx

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Damn, you change the helmets and a few numbers, you'd think you were watching highlights of McNeese. :)

Inside Cowboy Football Highlight Show (http://media.myfoxlakecharles.com/special/head/mcneesecowboys.html)

Doc

McNeese will be a TOUGH Hobo Day opponent! xbowx xbowx

Unfortunate for the Jacks is Parker Douglass, kicker, who broke Adam Viniteri's record at SDSU for most PATs in a row vs McNeese two years ago, has graduated.

McNeese and SDSU play VERY similar smash-mouth football! xbowx xbowx

Rabbitlivinginverm
September 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Coach Stig said this morning in a radio interview that he expects the crowd at UNI to be much louder and much more into the game than at Iowa St. Said the crowd was basically out of the game after the first couple of series because they jumped on us so quick. The team practiced today with the loudspeakers cranked up at C.A.S. He said they would turn it up so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you. Hopefully, the fellas will be prepared. In a perfect world we'll jump out quick like we have the past two games.xnodx

Pantherpower
September 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM
SDSU is for real and their D-Line is stout! As long as the Jacks get their safeties back for this game they will win and possibly even if they don't. UNI will have to throw to win, because they won't be running much on the Jacks. Kick some Panther a$$ Jacks! I just hope we can get a win at YSU and then head into our by week so we can heal up, injuries are killing us.xoopsx

Panther envy....:)

ngineer
September 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I think the jury is out on SDSU based upon questions on their oppositon. This week certainly will tell us a lot.

FerociousCat
September 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM
McNeese will be a TOUGH Hobo Day opponent!

Do you guys have a title for every home game?

89rabbit
September 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Do you guys have a title for every home game?

Not all of them. You have to save some for Basketball season (Lamb Bonanza and Pork Classic). xthumbsupx xnodx

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Not all of them. You have to save some for Basketball season (Lamb Bonanza and Pork Classic). xthumbsupx xnodx

Nothing like the Pork Classic - do you elect a Pork Queen? I dated one while growing in Iowa, the foreshadowing was uncanny based on meeting her again at the 20 year high school reunion. Bad for her, good for me...

89rabbit
September 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Nothing like the Pork Classic - do you elect a Pork Queen? I dated one while growing in Iowa, the foreshadowing was uncanny based on meeting her again at the 20 year high school reunion. Bad for her, good for me...

No, no pork queen, but the State's Pork Industry give the University large amounts of $$$$! xcoolx

Giant novelty checks and lots of pictures, you know the whole thing!

JBB
September 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
If you go, you guys will have a blast at Caughlin. Its worth the trip, Nice town, good tailgating and good game atmosphere.

Im definitely taking SDSU over UNI. The Jacks seem to me to be the best team in the MVFC right now.

jmc_jackrabbit
September 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
If you go, you guys will have a blast at Caughlin. Its worth the trip, Nice town, good tailgating and good game atmosphere.

Im definitely taking SDSU over UNI. The Jacks seem to me to be the best team in the MVFC right now.

We're gonna have to stop the run, make Grace pass and get lots of pressure on him to take the pressure off the safeties. I think our offense can move the ball. It should be a great game.

Talked to one of the SDSU GAs today. They have tons of respect for UNI (after all, the Panthers kicked our tails in Brookings last year). But the GA did say that with the changes on the Panthers' offensive line, they think SDSU can pressure the QB and stop the run. If we hear Danny Batten's name a lot Saturday when UNI has the ball, that's not a good sign for the Panthers. The guy's a freak.

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I heard last night on the coaches show that one of the D-lineman has been switched over to the O-line in the past two weeks. Unfortunately, I did not catch the name. This is an issue of being so deep at D-Line, and a bit a thin on the O-Line.

The local fish wrap (http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2008/09/19/sports/uni/football/10627408.txt) has an update stating that the starting center will be back in the rotation this week. We had been using our #3 since the second series of the BYU game.

Interesting that the same article states SDSU coach Stiegelmeier was previously a GA at UNI. That may have been some time ago - 1981 in fact, according to his bio.

nmatsen
September 19th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Coach Stig said this morning in a radio interview that he expects the crowd at UNI to be much louder and much more into the game than at Iowa St. Said the crowd was basically out of the game after the first couple of series because they jumped on us so quick. The team practiced today with the loudspeakers cranked up at C.A.S. He said they would turn it up so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you. Hopefully, the fellas will be prepared. In a perfect world we'll jump out quick like we have the past two games.xnodx

Theres nothing like creating a distraction during practice, that is a testimate to the fans (even though I think about 1/2 make the noise at the dome) that the Jacks are spending time preparing for the fans and the environment instead of focusing their energies on the Panthers. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that they will be prepared, its just that if they have spend two minutes trying to get the sound system worked out, or five minutes working on silent communication, thats just less time to work on the X's and O's. This is an advantage I never thought UNI would get.

UNI Pike
September 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Without having AC/DC (the actual band) setup during your practice, the piped in noise is hard to replicate.

crunifan
September 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
First Youngstown State practiced in a gym with speakers blasting and now South Dakota State follows.

I'd say our little dome has a nice reputation going!xlolx

89rabbit
September 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Come on guys this is nothing new. We do it everytime we go to Fargo, we did it before we went to Ames. It really isn't that big of deal.

Chi Panther
September 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Come on guys this is nothing new. We do it everytime we go to Fargo, we did it before we went to Ames. It really isn't that big of deal.

With all due respect to Jack Trice.....a sold out UNI-DOME is louder

jmc_jackrabbit
September 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
With all due respect to Jack Trice.....a sold out UNI-DOME is louder

UNI should be proud of their home field advantage. It's great that the place is usually full and the crowd is into it. That's one of the many reasons I'm thrilled that we're members of the MVFC.

Still, I'm guessing the FargoDome is as loud or louder than the UNI Dome. We have played there two of the last three years. So it's not like SDSU has never ventured into a loud stadium.

Chi Panther
September 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
UNI should be proud of their home field advantage. It's great that the place is usually full and the crowd is into it. That's one of the many reasons I'm thrilled that we're members of the MVFC.

Still, I'm guessing the FargoDome is as loud or louder than the UNI Dome. We have played there two of the last three years. So it's not like SDSU has never ventured into a loud stadium.

Agreed.

usdfbalum63
September 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I have had a chance to see both UNI and SDSU play in person this year: SDSU seems to be a little better all-around football team. SDSU travels well and I think will bring their "A" game this afternoon.

SDSU 38
UNI 24

Chi Panther
September 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ouch....I'd be disappointed with that.xbawlingx

AZJack
September 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I think the Jacks will be extremely lucky to come out with a win this afternoon. If they do come out with a win, then we can possibly start talking about a playoff berth.

jmc_jackrabbit
September 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
So far the Jacks have only done what you're supposed to do: win at home. If you can't win on the road, you're 4-4 in the conference and on the outside looking in at playoff time. You have to pick up at least a couple road conference wins. Luckily, we have Indiana State on the road. But we have to win one or two of the following road games: UNI, NDSU, SIU. That's tough.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I think the Jacks will be extremely lucky to come out with a win this afternoon. If they do come out with a win, then we can possibly start talking about a playoff berth.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Yes a win today should have the Jacks 6-2, or better in MoValley. If Jacks defend Coughlin against McNeese and Poly, that should take the Jacks to 8 FCS victories, with at least 5 in the pre-season top 25, I'd say yes to play-offs

But need to win today in Cedar Falls! xthumbsupx

FargoBison
September 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
So far the Jacks have only done what you're supposed to do: win at home. If you can't win on the road, you're 4-4 in the conference and on the outside looking in at playoff time. You have to pick up at least a couple road conference wins. Luckily, we have Indiana State on the road. But we have to win one or two of the following road games: UNI, NDSU, SIU. That's tough.

Wow, the MVFC didn't do SDSU any favors with giving them that slate of road games.

JackTwice
September 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Wow, the MVFC didn't do SDSU any favors with giving them that slate of road games.

No doubt about that.

My take away from today is that SDSU isn't as good as we had hoped (not near enough depth) and YSU isn't as bad as we thought.

Right now, I am afraid of SDSU becoming the team they were in the NCC. Always a tough get but not quite enough to compete with the big boys. Of course, with FCS playoff set up 3rd or 4th in the conference with a big win or two out of conference should get SDSU in, unlike the D-II days. We won't know if that's true or not for a little while yet but it is in the back of my mind (more like the front after today)