PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Four

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM
TT's Predictions
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 15-1 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 61-15 (24-4 SLC)

Texas State University - San Marcos @ Northern Colorado - The SLC is 0-2 at NoCo since the Bears became a Division I team. NoCo is 1-2 at SLC facilities with the lone win being the lone win of the 2006 campaign for the Bears, a victory in San Marcos. Clint Toon is the man at QB per Wright. Two things working against the Bobcats -- I doubt their ability to win on the road (1-5 the last two years) and I am not 100% certain that Toon can deliver on a consistent basis just yet. NORTHERN COLORADO

Sam Houston State @ Kansas - An FBS game which has the FBS team being one coming off a tight loss on the road. A lot of chops licking in Memorial Stadium this coming Saturday. SHSU will need to move the ball on the ground and keep their defense on the field as much as possible. I feel this is the only way to win (or keep it close) and the young O-Line is going to have to show they can run and pass protect against a solid KU team. KANSAS

Southeastern Louisiana @ Louisiana Tech - Boy, would I love the Lions to prove me wrong two weeks in a row. Jay Lucas showed up last week, but can he show up again? Brian Babin was back and throwing better than ever last week against South Dakota. La Tech beat Mississippi State who beat Southeastern Louisiana. Look for the Lions to make a game of this, but come apart late. LA TECH

Cal Poly @ Northwestern State - The Demons defense was very impressive against Grambling this past week. The offense was spotty at times with Lawrence having his third fumble in as many games. The home crowd will make this a close one, but I feel Cal Poly knows this game is very crucial to their season. CAL POLY

Quincy @ Central Arkansas - The Bears have been slow starters the last two weeks against UC-Davis and UAPB. I want to see the Bears come out of the shoot this one with that high-powered offense. The big game against Tulsa looms and this is the game where UCA can show that they got everything working ahead of that contest. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - WIU is the best 1-2 team in the nation after close losses on the road to South Dakota State and Arkansas. This is a home game for the Leathernecks who have thus far shown they are very capable on the ground. Jacks had a week off after getting it taken to them by TCU. Just don't see SFA emerging from this one with a win. WESTERN ILLINOIS

Nicholls State @ Memphis - What Nicholls State team will see? Well, we'll all just be thankful to see the Colonels playing football after being the last team at any level of NCAA football to hit the field with a late game on Saturday. If these Colonels come out of the gate on a mission, they could compete and win. I just think they're going to be too jump at the get-go and could rack up a fair share of stupid penalties, that are not typically expected from a Jay Thomas team. MEMPHIS

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 14th, 2008, 05:28 PM
TxState vs. NoCo--TxState offense continues to get better. High scoring contest (we have no defense yet)...We better FREAKIN win. 40-35 Cats

Sammy vs. Kansas--Jayhawks--battle tested (albeit in a loss) serious contender in the Big XII. Sam--middle of the pack in the SLC who hasn't really played anyone. Though they had an off week, they have/had to deal with the distractions of Ike. Jayhawks are goood offensively and GOOOOD defensively. Magino feasts on da Kats...Mangino 52 - Fightin Bomars 10

SELA vs. LaTech--Lions can score, LaTech is attrocious offensively (11 pts/game) but ok defensively. If the SELA offense can stay on the field and convert some 3rd downs, LaTech's defense will tire and the Bulldog offense will be forced to try and win the game. Close game...I'll take da Bulldogs, but BARELY and only cuz the game is in Ruston. Prove me wrong Lions! 13-10 Techies

Cal Poly vs. NW St.--Cal Poly learns alot from playing a good Montana team. The SLC's honorary West Coast team explodes on da Demons. 38-10 'Stangs

Quincy vs. UCA--I've never even heard of Quincy...56-0 UCA

SFA vs. Western Ill.--I don't think SFA has a defense (gave up 19 to a bad Div II team and SIXTY-FREAKIN-SEVEN to da Frogs of Christ). Western Ill. has hung tough with a good SDSU Rabbit club and with da Ferrell Hogs of Ar-Kansas. Western BIG at home. 42-14 Necks

Nicholls vs. Memphis--Triple Option gives the boys in blue FITS. Nicholls defeated Rice last year...it's Memphis' turn! 21-20 Da Five Centers!

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Bobcat fans...what's it going to take from the Bobcats offense to beat Northern Colorado? How many points? What about run offense, can we expect more this week? Please share your thoughts...

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Well, HOPEFULLY we realize that we're supposed to be GOOD on offense and decide to show up this game. We've had a week to rest (as has most of the SLC--ours was an actual bye, though, not a cancelled game) and a week to prepare. Last time we played NoCo, we had some QB issues. We had some success vs. SMU once Toon came in and WR Luke is a TD machine. But if Toon struggles, I say just hand it off to one of our 3 or 4 VERY GOOD running backs or run some option!

Then again, I'm not the coach and since it makes sense, we probably won't do it. :-)

I'm more worried about the defense at this point. I'm not impressed AT ALL with the Angelo St. or SMU defense efforts. Show me somethin, Cats!

Hood
September 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
21-20 Da Five Centers!

cute

Thanks for the support xthumbsupx

I'm making the trip just to see some football in person. Having major with drawls!!!!

I predict the SLC goes 6-1 with Nicholls and SELU pulling off FBS upsets!

MaximumBobcat
September 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Bobcat fans...what's it going to take from the Bobcats offense to beat Northern Colorado? How many points? What about run offense, can we expect more this week? Please share your thoughts...

I'm thinking the game will be 35-24 Cats.

We'll have over 400 yards of offense...250 on the ground...150 from Toon.

Toon to Cameron Luke for a couple TDs and Karrington Bush for 120+ yds on the ground. I think our defense needs to play deep and not let us get burned for any easy TDs quick...I'd rather give em a couple of easy field goals than get burned for TDs.

The Cats had 5 TOs in the SMU game and only lost by 11. That says a lot about how this team can come back and as long as we fix some mistakes and limit turnovers, the cats should roll.

Bear Fan 101
September 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Texas State University - San Marcos @ Northern Colorado - Toss up cuz I dont have a clue about anything related to UNC. I'll pick the SLC school and be a homer, but I'm not confident in that pick.

Sam Houston State @ Kansas I'm sure the Jayhawks are pissedthey let one slip through their hands last Friday night. Not a great time to be going to Lawrence I'm sure.

Southeastern Louisiana @ Louisiana Tech
Cal Poly @ Northwestern State -another SLC team gets a shot at a westcoast team. I think Poly wins this one though...

Quincy @ Central Arkansas - Do we have to?...

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois

Nicholls State @ Memphis -
What Nicholls State team will see? Well, we'll all just be thankful to see the Colonels playing football after being the last team at any level of NCAA football to hit the field with a late game on Saturday. If these Colonels come out of the gate on a mission, they could compete and win. I just think they're going to be too jump at the get-go and could rack up a fair share of stupid penalties, that are not typically expected from a Jay Thomas team. MEMPHIS
Also, I'd be curious to see how their conditioning is as the game winds down. Theycant be in great shape (through no fault of their own obviously) so I'd think Memphis would have a big edge there as well.

slycat
September 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
TxState vs. NoCo - Cats win a close one. Our running game is great and our passing is improving under Toon.

SHS vs. Kansas - Blowout. Just get your check without injuries.

SELA vs. LaTech - Close game but LaTech beat an SEC team this year so I'm going with them.

Cal Poly vs. NW St - Cal Poly is good and will win.

Quincy vs. UCA - Bears better win.

SFA vs. Western Ill - SFA will continue to struggle.

Nicholls vs. Memphis - Close again but I can't pick the upset.

BobcatJH
September 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
We win, or I am going to refer some real estate agents to Coach Wright.....

It is time for this team to win...... STOP MAKING EXCUSES & LIVING IN 2005!!!

GeauxLions94
September 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
GL in 2008 - 14-1

Texas State @ Northern Colorado - Southland teams have had their problems in Greely, but I think the Bobcats have enough to pull out the road win. TEXAS STATE

Sam Houston State @ Kansas - Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Enough said. KU

Southeastern Louisiana @ Louisiana Tech - TT would love to see an upset in Ruston and so would I. First meeting between the former Gulf States Conference rivals since 1985. Tech capitalized on five turnovers in a 22-14 win over Mississippi State (in Ruston) while Southeastern faced the Bulldogs a week later in Starkville. Hate to pick against the Good Guys, but Tech holds 27-7-2 advantage in series and is 15-2-2 against the Lions in Ruston. LOUISIANA TECH

Cal Poly @ Northwestern State - Northwestern State was impressive in its win over Grambling while Cal Poly was Ike'd out at McNeese State. Stangs have impressive passing game and will look to take advantage of Demon secondary. Is this the week that the real Byron Lawrence and Dudley Guice show up for the Demons. Maybe, but it's not enough. CAL POLY

Quincy @ Central Arkansas - This game isn't fair ... a football team beating up on a Medical Examiner/Detective (remember the show in the 70's with Jack Klugman???). xwhistlex CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - Jacks missed out on win No. 2 (Kentucky Wesleyan) and have to travel to Macomb to face the nationally-ranked Leathernecks. Could be the beginning of a bad stretch for SFA, which has South Dakota State coming to town next week. WESTERN ILLINOIS

Nicholls State @ Memphis - In possibly the latest season-opener in college football history, Nicholls State finally (and thankfully) gets going. If this game gets cancelled, the Colonels should just pack it up. This game could present a problem for the Tigers, but they should prevail late. MEMPHIS.

McNeese75
September 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
TxState vs. NoCo (this game SHOULD not be close)

SHS vs. Kansas - Could be a tough one

SELA vs. LaTech - The scholly difference may be the issue here

Cal Poly vs. NW St - You never know about the Demons, they might do something here but considering their lack of success against the Nichols option, this one might get ugly.

Quincy vs. UCA - Cupcake

SFA vs. Western Ill - I don't see the Jacks winning this one

Nicholls vs. Memphis - Tough game for the Colonel's to try and get back on.

JoshUCA
September 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
TxState vs. NoCo
SHS vs. Kansas
SELA vs. La Tech
Cal Poly vs. NW St
Quincy vs. UCA
SFA vs. Western Ill
Nicholls vs. Memphis

blackfordpu
September 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I am just worried about the Kats having a two week layoff. I think if we would have played PVA&M then we would have a better shot at KU. The guys will be pretty rusty without having played in two weeks and the game they did play was against subpar competition.

TxState vs. NoCo - Home team wins this one.
SHS vs. Kansas - For the reasons above.
SELA vs. La Tech
Cal Poly vs. NW St
Quincy vs. UCA
SFA vs. Western Ill
Nicholls vs. Memphis

UCABEARS75
September 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM
GL in 2008 - 14-1

Texas State @ Northern Colorado - Southland teams have had their problems in Greely, but I think the Bobcats have enough to pull out the road win. TEXAS STATE

Sam Houston State @ Kansas - Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Enough said. KU

Southeastern Louisiana @ Louisiana Tech - TT would love to see an upset in Ruston and so would I. First meeting between the former Gulf States Conference rivals since 1985. Tech capitalized on five turnovers in a 22-14 win over Mississippi State (in Ruston) while Southeastern faced the Bulldogs a week later in Starkville. Hate to pick against the Good Guys, but Tech holds 27-7-2 advantage in series and is 15-2-2 against the Lions in Ruston. LOUISIANA TECH

Cal Poly @ Northwestern State - Northwestern State was impressive in its win over Grambling while Cal Poly was Ike'd out at McNeese State. Stangs have impressive passing game and will look to take advantage of Demon secondary. Is this the week that the real Byron Lawrence and Dudley Guice show up for the Demons. Maybe, but it's not enough. CAL POLY

Quincy @ Central Arkansas - This game isn't fair ... a football team beating up on a Medical Examiner/Detective (remember the show in the 70's with Jack Klugman???). xwhistlex CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois - Jacks missed out on win No. 2 (Kentucky Wesleyan) and have to travel to Macomb to face the nationally-ranked Leathernecks. Could be the beginning of a bad stretch for SFA, which has South Dakota State coming to town next week. WESTERN ILLINOIS

Nicholls State @ Memphis - In possibly the latest season-opener in college football history, Nicholls State finally (and thankfully) gets going. If this game gets cancelled, the Colonels should just pack it up. This game could present a problem for the Tigers, but they should prevail late. MEMPHIS.

LOL, hey 94, some of us on this board remember the Quincy TV show better than others. I watched it every week.

RabidRabbit
September 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM
SHS vs. Kansas - B12 quick team.
SELA vs. La Tech FBS, altho not great.
Cal Poly vs. NW St 'Stangs cannot afford to lose ANY FCS games.
Quincy vs. UCA Central Ark is setting up for a battle with McNeese for Southland crown.
SFA vs. Western Ill These guys almost beat Arkansas, they should handle these Jacks handily, unlike last week's Jacks.
Nicholls vs. Memphis 1st game, 4 weeks into season, vs FBS. Not happening.

MSU_77
September 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
SHS vs. Kansas - B12 quick team.
SELA vs. La Tech FBS, altho not great.
Cal Poly vs. NW St 'Stangs cannot afford to lose ANY FCS games.
Quincy vs. UCA Central Ark is setting up for a battle with McNeese for Southland crown.
SFA vs. Western Ill These guys almost beat Arkansas, they should handle these Jacks handily, unlike last week's Jacks.
Nicholls vs. Memphis 1st game, 4 weeks into season, vs FBS. Not happening.

So, you've got the SLC going 1-6 against OOC this week. I'll say they do a little better than that.

TxState vs. NoCo
SHS vs. Kansas - but you never know with Bomar
SELA vs. La Tech - close
Cal Poly vs. NW St - upset special of the week
Quincy vs. UCA - big
SFA vs. Western Ill - 'Jacks still rebuilding
Nichollsvs. Memphis - remember Rice? Colonels keep the Tigers winless
McNeese vs Open Date U. - tie

GeauxLions94
September 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
So, you've got the SLC going 1-6 against OOC this week. I'll say they do a little better than that.

TxState vs. NoCo
SHS vs. Kansas - but you never know with Bomar
SELA vs. La Tech - close
Cal Poly vs. NW St - upset special of the week
Quincy vs. UCA - big
SFA vs. Western Ill - 'Jacks still rebuilding
Nichollsvs. Memphis - remember Rice? Colonels keep the Tigers winless
McNeese vs Open Date U. - tie

What? A tie? Are you kidding. They (ODU) have no offense, no defense, not even special teams to write home about. You guys (and anyone else who plays them) ought to name your score. :D

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Make sure you get your picks in so we can give you crap later today as you find a way to lose each one of your games (outside UCA-Quincy)... ;)

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Texas State-San Marcos 38-35 Northern Colorado FINAL
Note: Bobcats have some serious issues on the defensive side and I really think that the offense got the advantage of a short field due to UNC's horrid offense and special teams. This should be interesting when the Bobcats play some of the high-powered SLC offenses.

(13) Cal Poly at Northwestern State 6 p.m
Southeastern Louisiana at Louisiana Tech 6 p.m
Quincy at (18) Central Arkansas 6 p.m
Sam Houston State at Kansas 6 p.m
Stephen F. Austin at (20) Western Illinois 6:05 p.m
Nicholls State at Memphis 7 p.m

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM
UNC's "horrid offense and special teams"????

Dude...were you even watching the game?? Their QB (aside from the turnovers) had a good game...they had the running game going. The Bears had 568 yards!!! If that's horrid offense...you're crazy. Plus, their special teams coverage was good, leaving the Bobcats with the ball deep (at the 10 to 20 yard line) in their own territory.

I think you may have been watching another game...

:-)

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
UNC's "horrid offense and special teams"????

Dude...were you even watching the game?? Their QB (aside from the turnovers) had a good game...they had the running game going. The Bears had 568 yards!!! If that's horrid offense...you're crazy. Plus, their special teams coverage was good, leaving the Bobcats with the ball deep (at the 10 to 20 yard line) in their own territory.

I think you may have been watching another game...

:-)

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers on offense. QB threw what 3 or 4 INTs and had a fumble? Just awful. If your team has 4 or 5 turnovers, you should not expect to WIN much at all. That is what UNC did. Of course, how many did the Bobcats turnover? They were up there too...

Special teams for UNC continually gave TXST better field position than they had. Seems like Bush was just all over them when he was returning. Saw that UNC even kicked to one of the up men because they just did not have the speed to get back there...

And nope, I was watching your game. Watched the whole thing..

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
568 yards = horrid offense?

to be honest, i got home just after halftime and started watching then. unless something special teams-wise happened in the first half, their special teams was good in what i saw. but meh...whatever. no matter how dirty, it's still a win.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM
568 yards = horrid offense?

to be honest, i got home just after halftime and started watching then. unless something special teams-wise happened in the first half, their special teams was good in what i saw. but meh...whatever. no matter how dirty, it's still a win.

Bad defense...they scored on HUGE plays as the Bobcat defense fell asleep. When UNC actually had to sustain a drive, they turned it over...

You guys are lucky to escape with a win and good for the SLC -- a win over the BIG SKY!

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
It was a road win. Did Sam Houston defeat UNC in Colorado?:D

UNCBears2010
September 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Texas State-San Marcos 38-35 Northern Colorado FINAL
Note: Bobcats have some serious issues on the defensive side and I really think that the offense got the advantage of a short field due to UNC's horrid offense and special teams. This should be interesting when the Bobcats play some of the high-powered SLC offenses.

(13) Cal Poly at Northwestern State 6 p.m
Southeastern Louisiana at Louisiana Tech 6 p.m
Quincy at (18) Central Arkansas 6 p.m
Sam Houston State at Kansas 6 p.m
Stephen F. Austin at (20) Western Illinois 6:05 p.m
Nicholls State at Memphis 7 p.m

Are you serious?!?!?! UNC's offense is averaging over 450 yards a game! Sure, we made a few mistakes today, but we averaged over 7 yards per play, gained over 560 total yards and scored 35 points. What does it take for an offense to be "good" in your mind?xconfusedx

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
It was a road win. Did Sam Houston defeat UNC in Colorado?:D

No SLC team had won in Greeley. Read the first post, I acknowledged as much.

Are you serious?!?!?! UNC's offense is averaging over 450 yards a game! Sure, we made a few mistakes today, but we averaged over 7 yards per play, gained over 560 total yards and scored 35 points. What does it take for an offense to be "good" in your mind?xconfusedx

You played the worst secondary in the SLC...and Purdue is questionable at best. I'm not convinced you guys can maintain that...just like I am not convinced on Toon or George (a thought shared by the Bobcats per their MB).

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
UNCBears2010,

Don't pay him any attention. We were the worst secondary in the SLC last year. He is ASSuming Texas State will be the worst this year.

He is a negative person saying negative things about all teams except Sam Houston. He thinks that Sam is going to win the conference this year. Sam Houston does not have the horsepower to win the conference and he knows it.

UNCBears2010
September 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
UNCBears2010,

Don't pay him any attention. We were the worst secondary in the SLC last year. He is ASSuming Texas State will be the worst this year.

He is a negative person saying negative things about all teams except Sam Houston. He thinks that Sam is going to win the conference this year. Sam Houston does not have the horsepower to win the conference and he knows it.

I'd still like him to at least halfway make sense. How does Texas State's secondary, even if they are bad, account for the 180 rushing yards and the 6.1 yards per carry average for the Bears?

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM

You guys have yet to prove me otherwise.

SMU didn't just take advantage of Bobcat turnovers, they took advantage of your awful secondary. If you haven't seen, their offense has not done anything against anyone else.

I watched the game. I saw those long plays by UNC on the pass.

Did you know the Bears gained 568 yards, compared to 407 for Texas State, marking the first time since 2005 Northern Colorado gained more than 500 yards of total offense in a game (617 vs Colorado Mines, Sept. 5, 2005)?

Did you know NoCo's QB and his 392 yards is the first time since Sept. 3, 2005 a player has passed for 300 or more yards in a game for the Bears (Nick Hager, 304 yards vs Colorado School of Mines)?

I saw touchdowns of 80 and 70...saw the final drive where TXST just opened it all up for UNC to move it up the field before the Bears handed the win over to the Bobcats...

Are you kidding me?

Have you read anything I've ever written about the SLC when covering the league for the last two years? Does not seem to be the case.

Have you seen me pick SHSU as the team to win the SLC? I've picked SLC third in the league. Have you seen my constant praise for McNeese, Nicholls and UCA? Apparently not.

Have you seen me pick Steven Whitehead and Nathan Brown as the two most explosive players in the league? Throw in LaDarius Webb. See Rhett Bomar amongst that group? Probably not. See me praise Clint Toon and Cameron Luke for their play against SMU? Probably not.

Or that I feel the Bobcats have the best running back depth in the league? Apparently not there either. You should sit back and read some of what I've written about the SLC. Sure, present myself a certain way when dealing with the typical egos of your institution (your britches are a bit too big), but I'm pretty neutral for the most part, especially if you read my writings...which apparently you need to spend more time on CSN and do...xrulesx

UNCBears2010
September 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You guys have yet to prove me otherwise.

SMU didn't just take advantage of Bobcat turnovers, they took advantage of your awful secondary. If you haven't seen, their offense has not done anything against anyone else.

I watched the game. I saw those long plays by UNC on the pass.

Did you know the Bears gained 568 yards, compared to 407 for Texas State, marking the first time since 2005 Northern Colorado gained more than 500 yards of total offense in a game (617 vs Colorado Mines, Sept. 5, 2005)?

Did you know NoCo's QB and his 392 yards is the first time since Sept. 3, 2005 a player has passed for 300 or more yards in a game for the Bears (Nick Hager, 304 yards vs Colorado School of Mines)?

I saw touchdowns of 80 and 70...saw the final drive where TXST just opened it all up for UNC to move it up the field before the Bears handed the win over to the Bobcats...

Do you realize that UNC played in '06 and '07 with Dominic Breazeale, who is by far the worst college quarterback I've ever seen, at the helm? Of course we didn't have any offense those two years. We do have a very good offense this year with Bryan Waggener under center. While you may have doubts about Purdue, keep in mind that they're a BCS conference team and will likely play in a bowl game this year.

MaximumBobcat
September 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Looks like the TEXAS STATE BOBCATS get the only D-I win of the week for the SLC as they improve to 2-1.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM
6-1 on the week...

Bobcats prevent the perfect Week Four for me...

TT's Predictions
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 22-2 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 67-16 (24-4 SLC)

Cat79
September 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM
UNCBears2010,

You guys have a great offense. We were lucky to get the win. This game had the look of some of the WAC shootouts from years past. A whole lot of offense with each team having defenses tired from playing against fast paced offenses.

It looks like I had hit TT's nerve with my last postxlolx .