PDA

View Full Version : FURMAN VS DELAWARE

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
xbowx xbowx -CAA vs SOCON-xbowx xbowx

Furman comes into this weeks game after soundly beating an FCS Colgate team by a score of 42-21. Delaware comes in after punishing D2 whipping post West Chester by a score of 48-20. Both teams come in with similar scores from last week's games.

Socon : Furman is 2-1 after putting a scare in ACC Powerhouse VT losing by a score of 24-7, and soundly beating D2 Mars Hill by a score of 62-14 and FCS Colgate by a score of 42-21

CAA : Delaware is 1-1 after coming close to an upset over ACC Maryland in a loss of 14-7, and a win of 48-20 over a D2 West Chester.

Both teams have yet to enter their conference schedule. This game could be a turning point for both programs, and could have playoff hopes resting on it.

Delaware links:
http://www.gohens.net/
http://www.bluehens.com/index.html

Furman links:
www.uffp2.com
www.furmanpaladins.com

The matchup will be played at Paladin Stadium (16,000) on the Campus of Furman University in Greenville SC at 2:00 PM

Gameday Central: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/08-furm-gameday.html
Tickets: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/tickets/furm-tickets.html
PalStad: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/facilities/football.html
Visitors Guide: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/fanzone/visitor_guidefootball.html

Thoughts? Predictions? Questions?

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
bring it on, sweetheart.

bluehenbillk
September 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
2 more warmups before conference play kicks in. Time to see how shallow the SoCon pool is.

SideLine Shooter
September 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
You can bet that Furman will come to PLAY!!!!xnodx

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
2 more warmups before conference play kicks in. Time to see how shallow the SoCon pool is.

The water is displaced in the SoCon pool due to all the national championship trophies that fill it. :D

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
hahaha... here comes someone saying that the Socon is just App State and cellar dwellars!

ChickenMan
September 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I saw the FU/Colgate on the internet feed and Furman's offense did look very good.. but on the other hand the Colgate defense looked very slow.. FU will find that UD's defense is much quicker to the ball than what they saw at Colgate. As for FU's defense.. modest at best.. but I expect they are capable of better play.. based on what they did vs VT.

I expect a close game..

SCPALADIN
September 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Ignorance is bliss xcoffeex

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I saw the FU/Colgate on the internet feed and Furman's offense did look very good.. but on the other hand the Colgate defense looked very slow.. FU will find that UD's defense is much quicker to the ball than what they saw at Colgate. As for FU's defense.. modest at best.. but I expect they are capable of better play.. based on what they did vs VT.

I expect a close game..

While I'm sure Delaware will answer this question, it may also be that Furman's offense is extremely fast. UD saw how fast App was last year, and FU has some players with that kind of speed.

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Adam Mims is a BEAST!

ChickenMan
September 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM
While I'm sure Delaware will answer this question, it may also be that Furman's offense is extremely fast. UD saw how fast App was last year, and FU has some players with that kind of speed.

I'm may be wrong... but I think it's a pretty safe bet that Furman is not a remake of the '07 App St squad and that Sorrells is certainly no Edwards... :p

PS... FU rushed for 300 yrds on Colgate.. Stony Brook also rushed for nearly 300 vs Colgate.. but Stony Brook was only able to muster 72 yrds rushing yesterday vs Maine. To me that indicates that Colgate's lack of defense is a bigger factor than Furman's supposed abundance of 'speed'.

elon77
September 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Furman comes into this weeks game after soundly beating an FCS Colgate team by a score of 42-21. Delaware comes in after punishing D2 whipping post West Chester by a score of 48-20. Both teams come in with similar scores from last week's games.

Socon : Furman is 2-1 after putting a scare in ACC Powerhouse VT losing by a score of 24-7, and soundly beating D2 Mars Hill by a score of 62-14 and FCS Colgate by a score of 42-21

CAA : Delaware is 1-1 after coming close to an upset over ACC Maryland in a loss of 14-7, and a win of 48-20 over a D2 West Chester.

Both teams have yet to enter their conference schedule. This game could be a turning point for both programs, and could have playoff hopes resting on it.

Delaware links:

Furman links:
www.uffp2.com
www.furmanpaladins.com

The matchup will be played at Paladin Stadium (16,000) on the Campus of Furman University in Greenville SC at 2:00 PM

Gameday Central: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/08-furm-gameday.html
Visitors Guide: http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/fanzone/visitor_guidefootball.html

Everyone remember Stony Brook beatup on Colgate pretty good too!xnodx

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM
And...

ChickenMan
September 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM
And...

Maine.. hardly a CAA power.. just whipped Stony Brook... ;)

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
The Furples play run D better than anyone in the SoCon IMO. Back when GSU had the option offense we usually had to have pass production to win the game more so than in any other SoCon game. Furman last year defended ASU's rushing game better than UD did. From what UD fans are saying on the board, it sounds as if the running game is their strong point. Take my word for it that you will need good pass production to win the game.

I'll take Furman in this game by 7, maybe 10.

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Pass protection might not be a problem... it now appears that we can run again! Uhaa and Brown are Tanks! (Not to mention Tank Baker!)

Death Dealer
September 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'll leave the smack talk over on that board. Good luck to both teams, and may the best team (Furman) win!xthumbsupx

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Agreed. Oh... and on the UD board, one poster got off by saying that Furman's campus sucked, and it was in a bad part of town. Someone better straighten his feathers out before I get over there!

Go...gate
September 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
This is gonna be a Hell of a game.

Jaxhen
September 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Agreed. Oh... and on the UD board, one poster got off by saying that Furman's campus sucked, and it was in a bad part of town. Someone better straighten his feathers out before I get over there!

Let's be fair now. Everyone except one person was very complimentary of Furman and the city of Greenville. UD fans are well aware that Furman is a very good team and that this game will be a real challenge, especially playing at Furman. UD still has a lot of areas that need work and we will definitely miss Flacco. They won't miss Cuff quite as much because they have several decent RBs. Good luck to Furman. It should be a good game.

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah I know... one bad apple.

ericsaid
September 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
20-17 Either team.

T-Dog
September 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'm not a Vermin fan by any means, but daggonit, they're OUR Vermin and I'll want them to win over the Chickens. xthumbsupx

93henfan
September 14th, 2008, 06:52 PM
This game will be low scoring and close all the way.

I predict 24-17 Delaware (OT).

The bad apple said that Furman's stadium is in "sticksville". I'm not sure that's exactly the biggest insult ever to a school, and I think the post was referring just to the stadium locale and not the campus per se. You can't really read gohens.net and form a fair opinion of Hens fans. I equate that board to the poli board on this site. There are running feuds between certain members and a lot of extreme baiting to get reactions. It's not really the model of objectivity. I will say that the people who double-post there and here are the "good" Hens fans. Most of the real douchebags stay over there.

griz&beer
September 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I say UD by 13.

Nebuta
September 14th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Everyone remember Stony Brook beatup on Colgate pretty good too!xnodxxlolx true.

DSUHornet
September 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
i haven't seen either club yet this year so far
judging by last year's squads, this should be a close one

i'll take UD 24-14

Death Dealer
September 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Paladin Stadium is on campus. We are a very small school and so there really isn't any bad parking. I'd suggest getting there early and parking in the lot adjacent to the chapel. Although Furman is technically a dry campus, as long as you aren't trying to carry a keg into the stadium, you should be OK. Coozies on bottles or put it in a cup, and you'll be fine. I will say that I once sicked the cops on a bunch of GSU fans back a few years ago when they made a very lewd reference to my 2 y.o. daughter. It was hilarious, the parties on either side of them were loaded with beer and liquor, but the cops only came down on them.xlolx

Mostly, just as at any other school you visit, be respectful and have a good time, and you will find Furman to be one of the nicest places to play a football game anywhere. G'vegas is also on helluva fun town if you like to eat, drink, and be merry.

Anybody coming down need any suggestions of places to stay or restaurants, etc.?

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM
yeah... the stadium in in tha heart of the campus, not in sticksville!

93henfan
September 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
yeah... the stadium in in tha heart of the campus, not in sticksville!

See, then that shows you how much weight to put in that dillweed's opinion! He's obviously never been there.

Man, I'd have so been at this game but it's NASCAR race weekend in Dover next weekend, I have the best seats in the house, and my boy Jr. is right in this thing after Kyle Busch choked today!:D

GannonFan
September 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Should be a great game. Got nothing but respect for Furman and their program and they've always been one of the top 10 programs at this level. Heck, it would be hard to find a game featuring two teams who have won as many playoff games as these two have over the past 10-15 years. Unfortunately can't make it down to Greenville myself (3rd boy just born a couple of weeks ago - 8 shy of an offensive unit now) but still looking forward to Saturday.

Should be a pretty low scoring game - UD's defense is very, very good and UD's offense is still finding their legs. Really the first true measure for either team, outside of the FBS games they played and showed well in.

youwouldno
September 14th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Neither team has played an opponent so far that was an even match, so there's really no way to know what will happen. I don't think it will be especially low scoring. I do think Furman is potentially an underrated team, because the Paladins finished last year strong and have shown some good things so far this season as well.

As a Furman fan, I like the Paladins' chances because they are at home and have an excellent QB. The defense's play against Colgate is concerning, but I'm hopeful they will be up for the challenge this week.

gofurman
September 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Should be a great game. Got nothing but respect for Furman and their program and they've always been one of the top 10 programs at this level. Heck, it would be hard to find a game featuring two teams who have won as many playoff games as these two have over the past 10-15 years. Unfortunately can't make it down to Greenville myself (3rd boy just born a couple of weeks ago - 8 shy of an offensive unit now) but still looking forward to Saturday.

Should be a pretty low scoring game - UD's defense is very, very good and UD's offense is still finding their legs. Really the first true measure for either team, outside of the FBS games they played and showed well in.

To any UD fan:

Welcome and I hope you have a great time in Gville!

How would you rate your team per
Run O, Pass O, Run D, Pass D?
I know your FG kicking is great.

I would rate Furman a :
Run O: B- Couldn't do it at all vs VT but looked good against Colgate (but then who doesn't.....eg Stony Brook )

Pass O: B+ Somewhat evident vs VT

Run D: B+ VT and (after adjustments) Colgate struggled - again, that is after adjustments at Colgate

Pass D: C A little worried here as Colgate started to move on us with the pass at times...they just didn't try it all that often since they were so committed to running

Any injuries other than the starting Strong Safety? We lost a top recvr in RJ Webb. Starting FB is day-to-day.

93henfan
September 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM
How would you rate your team per
Run O, Pass O, Run D, Pass D?
I know your FG kicking is great.

Any injuries other than the starting Strong Safety?

Run O: B+ We have a cadre of three or four RBs that are all quite capable.

Pass O: C- This is the big question mark still. The line was great against Maryland and then shaky against DII West Chester.xconfusedx Our QB looked great on some passes against WCUPA, then shaky on others. He's tended to lock onto his receiver and telegraph his intentions. Our WRs are phenomenal (Love, Duncan, Michaud, Crosby, etc). TEs are pretty damned good too (Agnone and Mooney).

Run D: A The team strength. Very deep and talented.

Pass D: C+ Again, looked decent against Maryland and then had several lapses against WCUPA. This is where the Bratton injury reared itself.

Injuries: Had some folks banged up in last night's game. LB Chuck Anderson sustained a leg injury and was wearing a leg brace with crutches off the field. Our kicker slipped on the slick field, shanked the kick, and hobbled off the field. We had some gimpy O-linemen during the game too. WR Aaron Love is nursing a sore hammy and only returned punts. There are some conspiracy theories that he is being hidden until the FU game. Don't tell anyone.:p

igo4uni
September 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM
This is a good matchup for FCS football. Congrats to both teams for scheduling this one.

gofurman
September 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Run O: B+ We have a cadre of three or four RBs that are all quite capable.

Pass O: C- This is the big question mark still. The line was great against Maryland and then shaky against DII West Chester.xconfusedx Our QB looked great on some passes against WCUPA, then shaky on others. He's tended to lock onto his receiver and telegraph his intentions. Our WRs are phenomenal (Love, Duncan, Michaud, Crosby, etc). TEs are pretty damned good too (Agnone and Mooney).

Run D: A The team strength. Very deep and talented.

Pass D: C+ Again, looked decent against Maryland and then had several lapses against WCUPA. This is where the Bratton injury reared itself.

Injuries: Had some folks banged up in last night's game. LB Chuck Anderson sustained a leg injury and was wearing a leg brace with crutches off the field. Our kicker slipped on the slick field, shanked the kick, and hobbled off the field. We had some gimpy O-linemen during the game too. WR Aaron Love is nursing a sore hammy and only returned punts. There are some conspiracy theories that he is being hidden until the FU game. Don't tell anyone.:p

Thanks - nicely reasoned information. I'll be back with more on us later... I worry about our run O vs your run D as the only D1 team we could run on gave up similar yards to Stony Brook... so I just can't take a lot of confidence from that. Against VT we were completely shut down on run O. Much more so than against prior D1A teams ... Combine that with your run D and I fear we become one dimensional.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks - nicely reasoned information. I'll be back with more on us later... I worry about our run O vs your run D as the only D1 team we could run on gave up similar yards to Stony Brook... so I just can't take a lot of confidence from that. Against VT we were completely shut down on run O. Much more so than against prior D1A teams ... Combine that with your run D and I fear we become one dimensional.

No offense my friend, but we ran on everyone we faced last year too. We have good running backs and a great offensive line. I know you don't think much of the Colgate win, but that was a 700 mile road trip to put a thumping on a good team.

UD has a good defense, but they will get the kitchen sink thrown at them. We have a lot of offensive weapons.

fuEMO
September 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
No offense my friend, but we ran on everyone we faced last year too. We have good running backs and a great offensive line. I know you don't think much of the Colgate win, but that was a 700 mile road trip to put a thumping on a good team.

UD has a good defense, but they will get the kitchen sink thrown at them. We have a lot of offensive weapons.

I have to agree with PaladinFan too, goFurman your the Lou Holtz of Furman Footballxnodx

Furman was so under-rated coming into this season, that no one would have expected many thinking Furman had a chance in this game. I think it's a toss up. Hats off to both schools for making this game happen. IMO it will prepare both teams for their conference games.

Bobby Lamb has quickly changed the makeup of Furman on both sides of the ball. Inserting speed and alot of interchangeable parts. Furman has gone from a team of stars, Felton. To a team of unsung heros that have some of the best chemistry I've seen since BJ and Dick Sheridan.

One thing Delaware fans will notice is Furman will play alot freshmen Saturday.

ChickenMan
September 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
No offense my friend, but we ran on everyone we faced last year too. We have good running backs and a great offensive line.

We will see about the Furman running game.. sure they racked up plenty of rushing yardage on Colgate.. but so did Stony Brook (270) and Coastal Carolina (174). But vs Virginia Tech.. FU was only able to muster 34 yrds on the ground.

If I were a Furman fan I'd be more worried about their defense.. which is giving up over 170 yrds a game on the ground.. slowing down a pretty effective UD running game.. that had over 300+ yrds last week and over 120 yrds on the ground vs Maryland.

Eaglegus2
September 15th, 2008, 09:30 AM
The water is displaced in the SoCon pool due to all the national championship trophies that fill it. :D

Good response my fellow SoCon member.

Giv'em hell Furman!!!!

Best of luck from this Georgia Southern fan.

gofurman
September 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have to agree with PaladinFan too, goFurman your the Lou Holtz of Furman Footballxnodx

Furman was so under-rated coming into this season, that no one would have expected many thinking Furman had a chance in this game. I think it's a toss up. Hats off to both schools for making this game happen. IMO it will prepare both teams for their conference games.

Bobby Lamb has quickly changed the makeup of Furman on both sides of the ball. Inserting speed and alot of interchangeable parts. Furman has gone from a team of stars, Felton. To a team of unsung heros that have some of the best chemistry I've seen since BJ and Dick Sheridan.

One thing Delaware fans will notice is Furman will play alot freshmen Saturday.

I agree with most of what is said here - including the Lou Holtz reference ... LOL. I am just saying we have seen FU teams that have run well in conference line up and get shut down vs good OOC teams (ala Montana State - good grief was that a smack down in the trenches). This will tell us a lot about our team.

HENJOHN
September 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I am one of the UD fans that thinks this is going to be a great game and a tough trip for us on the road. We still have alot of work to do after just 2 games and will need to improve alot to win this one.
I can't make it down and its a real shame that these two FCS giants from the 2 best conferences are not on TV.

Rob Iola
September 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I'll be at the game with the Iola clan...

My 2 cents - if Schoenhoft has time in the pocket and can look off his primary receiver when necessary, UD will win. If not then Furman's running game will trump ours and daPals will win...

Oldhen
September 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I think this will mostly come down to line play, rather than team speed or the skill positions.

Last year's UD team was mostly about a few exceptional skill players on O. This team doesn't have any real stars, and will develop a very different identity.

Just IMHO, it looks to me like when the Furman OL goes, the offense goes (imagine that!). Looks like a solid and veteran group. This Furman OL vs. UD's DL looks to be a pretty good matchup. (Our DL is potentially the biggest strength of the team… several exceptional players, looks like it goes 7-8 deep without much drop-off, and they rotate fresh horses effectively.)

Not sure how the move to a new defensive set works out for you guys, but the Furman DL vs, UD OL matchup is up for grabs, IMHO. As I'm typing this, I have no clue whether we're going to be playing a new LT or not, and we're not deep at all on the OL. You guys look young. I think the biggest thing in our favor there is that our best OL (Hendricks at C) looks like he is going to go up against the best Furman DL (Brown). That'll be a great matchup if I'm right.

For UD to win, they're going to need the DL to play up to their potential (quite considerable potential, really) and get some consistent push against the QB. The DL looked very tough against UM most of the time (and UM has a very large and quite good OL), but the DL was not as effective against WCUPA's max-protect and three-step-drop (though WCUPA couldn't run a lick on 'em). Against Furman's OL, winning the LOS will be a tall order.

Similarly, our OL is going to need to step up. They're young in several places, but looked pretty good against UM's 3-4. A lot of that was due to Hendricks just dominating UM's nose guard. I thought they looked tentative and out-of-sync against WCUPA after a bye week. For UD to have a fair chance, they'll need to play like they did at UM. I think much of the key for UD is going to be to control the ball and the clock as much as they can.

Our RB's are fine. No Omar, but four-deep, this is the best overall group UD has had in many a year, maybe ever. Really a shame we use a one-back set. We’ll keep putting fresh ones out there, and they don’t drop off. The OL plays reasonably well, these guys can get ‘er done.

I expect Furman to be able to throw some. If we generate regular push with our DL, and don't need too blitz too much, I think our secondary is good enough to keep Sorrells from taking over the game. That said, good pass D takes eleven men. We don't play well at one level or another on D, I think the Furman QB is plenty good enough to light us up.

The first wildcard in all this is our passing game. Our QB ain't Joe Flacco... but I'm not sure we really know what we've got. Big, strong, hard-nosed, athletic kid who can run right over you. Still quite raw, has a very quirky throwing motion, but a very strong arm. Hasn’t been asked to do all that much, but has been reasonably effective (58% completions for an average of 161 yards/game… actually ahead of where Flacco was after two games… 50% completions for 143 yards/game.). Our receivers are a veteran, high-quality group. My deep-down opinion is that if we can throw effectively, we’ll win. I just don’t know if we can.

Second wildcard is how we travel. KC’s teams have a history of being lackluster on the road. Home field advantage against UD should be 7-9 points. We played well on the road in the playoffs, and again down at UM. I’m hoping we have our road woes behind us, but you never know.

Ivytalk
September 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
20-17 Either team.

That sounds about right to me. I hope the Hens get the 20!xnodx

AppStsGr8
September 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What a week! UD at Furman, App at JMU.

UD fans should enjoy a great atmosphere at Furman. Beautiful (and small) campus, park anywhere and walk (see alcohol advisories above).

Looks to be a very close game. Sorrells is settling into starting role pretty well. Smart kid, too.

I see Furman winning a close one. Go Paladins!

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM
We will see about the Furman running game.. sure they racked up plenty of rushing yardage on Colgate.. but so did Stony Brook (270) and Coastal Carolina (174). But vs Virginia Tech.. FU was only able to muster 34 yrds on the ground.

If I were a Furman fan I'd be more worried about their defense.. which is giving up over 170 yrds a game on the ground.. slowing down a pretty effective UD running game.. that had over 300+ yrds last week and over 120 yrds on the ground vs Maryland.

I may be on a limb here, but VT still has one the biggest, fastest defenses in the country. I wouldn't read too much into our offensive stats in that game. We have generally been a very good run stopping defense (in fact, I can't remember when we weren't).

Our D wasn't great last year (or even really good). However, our offense looks extremely ready to play in a big game. A lot of pressure will be put on the Hens corners. Furman's offensive line is very good and protects the quarterback extremely well. The Paladins have only given up (I think) one sack this year (a three yard loss to VT) and only 11 all of last season.

Both teams will try to establish a ground game. Whichever one does it better I think will win. The last two CAA schools to visit Paladin Stadium got a dogfight (Hofstra and JMU). If those two games are any indicator, this will be a fun game to watch.

SCPALADIN
September 15th, 2008, 12:29 PM
But vs Virginia Tech.. FU was only able to muster 34 yrds on the ground.

You're comparing UD's run defense to Va Tech's!! That's comical xlolx xlolx

SunCoastBlueHen
September 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
20-17 Either team.

That sounds about right to me. I expect a low scoring game, close game with the winner being the team that wins the turnover battle. xthumbsupx

SunCoastBlueHen
September 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM

There is, at least, a loose comparison to be made with that stat when you compare what each team did against an ACC foe.

Delaware gained 121 on the ground against Maryland. In its other two games, the Terps yielded 118 to MTSU and 38 to Cal.

Furman gained 34 on the ground against Virginia Tech. VT yielded 158 to ECU and 199 to Georgia Tech in their other two contests.

At least by those stats, you can say that Delaware fared better on the ground than the Paladins against similar ACC competition.

colorless raider
September 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I may be on a limb here, but VT still has one the biggest, fastest defenses in the country. I wouldn't read too much into our offensive stats in that game. We have generally been a very good run stopping defense (in fact, I can't remember when we weren't).

Our D wasn't great last year (or even really good). However, our offense looks extremely ready to play in a big game. A lot of pressure will be put on the Hens corners. Furman's offensive line is very good and protects the quarterback extremely well. The Paladins have only given up (I think) one sack this year (a three yard loss to VT) and only 11 all of last season.

Both teams will try to establish a ground game. Whichever one does it better I think will win. The last two CAA schools to visit Paladin Stadium got a dogfight (Hofstra and JMU). If those two games are any indicator, this will be a fun game to watch.

After losing to a fine Pala:) din team and with a long memory to 2003, this Red Raider hopes you smash the Hens!!

youwouldno
September 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
There is, at least, a loose comparison to be made with that stat when you compare what each team did against an ACC foe.

Delaware gained 121 on the ground against Maryland. In its other two games, the Terps yielded 118 to MTSU and 38 to Cal.

Furman gained 34 on the ground against Virginia Tech. VT yielded 158 to ECU and 199 to Georgia Tech in their other two contests.

At least by those stats, you can say that Delaware fared better on the ground than the Paladins against similar ACC competition.

Maryland is a classically inconsistent team. The Terps also don't have anything like the athleticism of VT. But in any case, the transitive property does not apply in football, as it is a game of matchups.

Furman has the best OT in the FCS and the rest of the line is both experienced and athletic. There is a good mix of RBs. I don't expect them to run wild against UD but they won't be shut down either.

ChickenMan
September 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM

and what FACTS do you have to dispute the above comparision???

ChickenMan
September 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
After losing to a fine Pala:) din team and with a long memory to 2003, this Red Raider hopes you smash the Hens!!

I understand your frustration.. considering Colgate's total futility vs Delaware... :p

SunCoastBlueHen
September 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Maryland is a classically inconsistent team. The Terps also don't have anything like the athleticism of VT. But in any case, the transitive property does not apply in football, as it is a game of matchups.

I don't disagree. At the same time, I do not think that Chickenman pointing out that Furman managed only 34 yards on the ground against VT was a laughable stat either.

Oldhen
September 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Furman has the best OT in the FCS and the rest of the line is both experienced and athletic.

That matchup of Bell against Talley is going to be a humdinger. Like I said before... your OL against our DL is pretty much the heart of both teams going at it.

fuEMO
September 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
One more issue not being discussed "the weather" it could stay to the mild side 80 degrees or it could turn sticky and humid.

I just hope this game lives up to the early expectations. Go Dins!!!

youwouldno
September 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I don't disagree. At the same time, I do not think that Chickenman pointing out that Furman managed only 34 yards on the ground against VT was a laughable stat either.

I would use the word 'irrelevant' but I agree the stat is meaningless. What does it really tell us? That, on the road, in the first real game of the season, with a new offense, against an elite FBS defense, that Furman's running game can be stuffed? Yeah, I guess it tells us that. But since those properties are absent this week, I don't see the relevance.

Skjellyfetti
September 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I would use the word 'irrelevant' but I agree the stat is meaningless. What does it really tell us? That, on the road, in the first real game of the season, with a new offense, against an elite FBS defense, that Furman's running game can be stuffed? Yeah, I guess it tells us that. But since those properties are absent this week, I don't see the relevance.

I agree.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict Furman gets more than 43 yards rushing the ball this weekend. xeekx

SunCoastBlueHen
September 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM

At this early juncture of the season and for the sake of friendly discussion, it as a relevant as any other comparative statistic that could be produced at this point (which is none). Delaware had better success running against an ACC team than Furman did. Does that mean anything? Probably not, but there it is. If you recall, I referred to this stat as "a loose comparison" in my initial post - meaning I didn't give it any real weight or value. I just thought the below post was unnecessary - because nobody was comparing UD to VT. xpeacex

ChickenMan
September 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
It was earlier reported that Virgina Tech gave up 199 yrds rushing to Georgia Tech.. that figure is incorrect.. VT actually gave up 278 yrds rushing to GT. That combined with the 158 given up to ECU.. means that the VT defense has given up an average of 218 yrds per game on the ground vs FBS competition and yet they were able to hold Furman to only 34 yrds... very interesting.... xscanx

OL FU
September 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Ah the battle of words before the battle of pads xlolx

One team plays a bad FBS and a good DII
Another team plays usually a good FBS but not so much this year and a mediocre DII and a PL if we only had scholarships we would kick your butt team.

In other words we are all confidently crossing our fingers that the other guys are wrongxlolx xsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
September 15th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Ah the battle of words before the battle of pads xlolx

One team plays a bad FBS and a good DII
Another team plays usually a good FBS but not so much this year and a mediocre DII and a PL if we only had scholarships we would kick your butt team.

In other words we are all confidently crossing our fingers that the other guys are wrongxlolx xsmiley_wix

Hey... Maryland just whipped a ranked FBS team... :p

OL FU
September 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hey... Maryland just whipped a ranked FBS team... :p

xpopcornx xsmiley_wix

OL FU
September 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Probably repeating what has been said.

My concern with FU is mostly defense. I don't think we have the answer to that question as of yet. I really haven't been concerned about FU's offense other than the new system which seems to be working. But new systens usually have bugs. Before the season started I was looking forward to Colgate since they were supposed to have a D. Doesn't appear as if they do. I really don't count FBS games so UD will be the first legitimate test.

I think everyone understands that UD has a defense. The question is have you filled your holes on offense. and since I really am not convinced yet that we have solved our defensive struggles I suppose I will wait and see.

Paladin stadium while not as big of an advantage as the TUB is an advantage.

Looks like the making of a good game. I hope we are firing on all cylindersxnodx

T-Dogg
September 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I remember how the UD fans treated the Wofford fans a few years back in a playoff match! It was not very nice and makes one appriciate how the Montana fans were last year!!! I do not like Furman for obvious reasons, but here is one SoCon brother wishing up a purple beating!

Having said that, I think this is a great out of conferance game for both teams! Congrats for stepping up to the plate and creating a awesome early season match up.

youwouldno
September 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
At this early juncture of the season and for the sake of friendly discussion, it as a relevant as any other comparative statistic that could be produced at this point (which is none). Delaware had better success running against an ACC team than Furman did. Does that mean anything? Probably not, but there it is. If you recall, I referred to this stat as "a loose comparison" in my initial post - meaning I didn't give it any real weight or value. I just thought the below post was unnecessary - because nobody was comparing UD to VT. xpeacex

I'm not against comparing teams before a game... actually I like to do so. But in this case, 2008 game results are just not the way to do it. The majority of the players have been around before this season, as backups if not as starters. I think legit comparisons can be made on that basis (and some UD fans have done that). Those aren't meaningless, though they are difficult to quantify. I'm fine with all discussion in that vein.

But looking at Maine v. Stony Brook, since Stony Brook played Colgate, and Maine is in the CAA? Or FU-VT, because Maryland is in the ACC? That's more like trash talk than game analysis.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Let's pour some kerosene on this fire, shall we?

http://www.gopaladins.com/2008/09/col-sanders-is-paladin-fan.html

The 'Dins on the Lawn Tailgating Crew has discovered that the famous Colonel Sanders has become a Paladin fan this week as Furman University prepares to take on the University of Delaware this Saturday. After hearing about what Furman plans to do to the Blue Hens of Delaware this week the Colonel said, "I like their style, those Paladins, they have the right idea about how to handle those yardbirds!"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nkTBre-RKgU/SM2wQepH9-I/AAAAAAAAAGE/wGyP2iCOHxc/s400/kfcpeta+fixed.JPG

Discuss. Mr. Chicken, you have the floor. :D

furman94
September 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Ahahahaha! Thanks for the website! I had never seen it bedore!

drpnut
September 16th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Hey congrats to Furple and Delaware scheduling this game. I think it is great.

Being a Wofford guy I would much rather have a CAA team or Patriot League team early in the year than Chuck Sotuh or Presby or Georgetown or those other "cream puffs" we schedule.

Although I like playing a school like South Carolina, I would much rather get rid of games like that and pick up another quality FCS team. Playing FBS schools has absolutely no bearing on one's season as you get into the playoff hunt.

As much as I hate to say it, thanks Furple for leading by example.

PEace

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Let's pour some kerosene on this fire, shall we?

http://www.gopaladins.com/2008/09/col-sanders-is-paladin-fan.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nkTBre-RKgU/SM2wQepH9-I/AAAAAAAAAGE/wGyP2iCOHxc/s400/kfcpeta+fixed.JPG

Discuss. Mr. Chicken, you have the floor. :D

BRAWK!......AWK!........BAWK!....BLAH BLAH BLAH!......YA'LL CAN CHIRP DIS GAME INTA DUH GROUND....xoopsx....TRUTH IS......NOBODYAH....CAN SAFELY PREDICT.......TURNOVERAHS.......BAD CALLS...(SEE WESTBROOK'S GOURD GUARD GET TWISTED HALFWAY 'ROUND HIS NOODLE?...HOW CAN ZEBRAHS....WHO ARE SUPPOSED TA BE LOOKIN' FO' CRIMES......NOT SEE DUH BALL CARRIER GET FACE MASKED....LIKE UH RODEO CALFxconfusedx).....DIS IS YOU-DEE'S.....THIRD GAME.......IT'LL BE FURMAN'S 4TH......(FURBALLS HAVE HAD ONE MO' WEEK O' REHERSAL)....FURPLE GETS HOME COOKIN'....HENS ARE SOMETIMES SHAKEY ON DUH ROAD....FURMAN IS EVERAH BIT AS CAPABLE O' BRINGIN' DUH LEATHERAH TA DUH HENS......AS ARE DUH HENS TA FURMAN.......OURAH O. STATE QB.....HAS SHOWN UH PENCHANT FO' COMPLETIN' PASSES TA D-BACKS...xeekx......CAN DUH FURBALLS COVERAH OURAH WIDE-OUTSxconfusedx......ONLY ONE WAY TA FIND OUT.....LET'S JES' TEE IT UP.....xtwocentsxxhurrayxxtwocentsx......BRRAAAWWW WKKKKK!

elcid96
September 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM

More interesting notes:

Delaware links:

Furman links:
www.uffp2.com
www.furmanpaladins.com

Maryland barely beat Del and destroyed Cal. Liberty beat Colgate, so I don't really know how big of a win Colgate was for Furman this past weekend. Del wins by 7

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Maryland barely beat Del and destroyed Cal. Liberty beat Colgate, so I don't really know how big of a win Colgate was for Furman this past weekend. Del wins by 7

Stony Brook beat Colgate :p xlolx xsmiley_wix but I got the meaning

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yes, Maryland beat Cal. The Terps also go handled by Middle Tennessee! Transitivity doesn't work in College Football. Look at those rushing stats all you want to. For 100 years Furman has been lining up and running the football right at teams. If your coaches want to read a lot into that game, we'll you'll get no argument from me.

Paladin Stadium is no easy place to visit. The last time I can remember any visiting team winning by more than a touchdown was 2002. Homefield advantage will count for something in this game.

bluehenbillk
September 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Homefield advantage will count for something in this game.

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yes, Maryland beat Cal. The Terps also go handled by Middle Tennessee! Transitivity doesn't work in College Football. Look at those rushing stats all you want to. For 100 years Furman has been lining up and running the football right at teams. If your coaches want to read a lot into that game, we'll you'll get no argument from me.

Paladin Stadium is no easy place to visit. The last time I can remember any visiting team winning by more than a touchdown was 2002. Homefield advantage will count for something in this game.

I hope no anke biters read this:o

insideout08
September 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Good thing you've forgotten the Wofford game from last year. xlolx

93henfan
September 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
One more issue not being discussed "the weather" it could stay to the mild side 80 degrees or it could turn sticky and humid.

It was 85 in Newark Saturday and humid as hell with no wind at all. It was sweltering in the stands, but I didn't see any players cramping up or dragging butt. It was even hotter at Maryland and during training camp.

The NWS is forecasting 78 degrees for Greenville on Saturday. Should be a pleasant improvement!:D

ashram
September 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM

It seems pretty silly to me for anyone to be so confident about how this game will go. About all I can say with any confidence is that it should be a great game.

Hens, my group tailgates pretty far away from the usual visiting tailgaters, but feel free to stop by. I'll be the one with the homemade tailgating trailer with a 21' flagpole sticking off the top.

89Hen
September 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
It was 85 in Newark Saturday and humid as hell with no wind at all. It was sweltering in the stands, but I didn't see any players cramping up or dragging butt.

The NWS is forecasting 78 degrees for Greenville on Saturday. Should be a pleasant improvement!:D
It was also 90+ on the field at the Maryland game and I didn't see any Hen cramp up. I don't think people in SC/GA realize the Philly-DC corridor is pretty darn close to the same opressive heat they have. On Saturday it was 90 degrees with 87% humidity here.

citdog
September 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
GO HENS! EXTERMINATE VERMIN!

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM
GO HENS! EXTERMINATE VERMIN!

Pulling for the traitor state I seexlolx

nick9c
September 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
This should be a great game. And as far as comparing matchups of who has played who, be reminded that Colgate played Stony Brook in Game 1 without their TB Jordan Scott.

I think this should be a fairly even match-up. My hunch is that Delaware has a better D, but Furman has a much underrated and capable offense.

Let's get it on!

93henfan
September 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Delaware, as a slave-holding border state, simply stuck with the winning side. Had Pickett made it over the fence at Gettysburg, we'd have been whistlin' Dixie and beating the secession drum! We're the original flip floppers!!

BlueHen86
September 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
This should be a great game. And as far as comparing matchups of who has played who, be reminded that Colgate played Stony Brook in Game 1 without their TB Jordan Scott.

I think this should be a fairly even match-up. My hunch is that Delaware has a better D, but Furman has a much underrated and capable offense.

Let's get it on!
Agreed.

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Delaware, as a slave-holding border state, simply stuck with the winning side. Had Pickett made it over the fence at Gettysburg, we'd have been whistlin' Dixie and beating the secession drum! We're the original flip floppers!!

According to citdog if you didn't join the CSA (not CAA), you are a traitor state. He must be very conflicted about his choice:D After all in the dog's world it is still 1863.xeyebrowx

citdog
September 16th, 2008, 09:15 AM

SCUM IS SCUM......VERMIN SCUM IS WORSE!

citdog
September 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM
According to citdog if you didn't join the CSA (not CAA), you are a traitor state. He must be very conflicted about his choice:D After all in the dog's world it is still 1863.xeyebrowx

MARYLAND AND DELAWARE BOTH SENT MEN TO FIGHT FOR OUR GLORIOUS CAUSE!

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
SCUM IS SCUM......VERMIN SCUM IS WORSE!

A new meaning to the term scalawag. Pulling against a signer of the articles of secession simply to fulfill your own dishonorable agenda:( General Lee would be disappointed in your sirxwhistlex

citdog
September 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
A new meaning to the term scalawag. Pulling against a signer of the articles of secession simply to fulfill your own dishonorable agenda:( General Lee would be disappointed in your sirxwhistlex

TOUCHE...I WANT THE FURPLES TO FLY FROM THE FIELD INGLORIOUSLY

elon77
September 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM

It's that dang purple. It makes visiting teams want to puke.xnodx That's why it's not an easy place to play.

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
It's that dang purple. It makes visiting teams want to puke.xnodx That's why it's not an easy place to play.

The color of royaltyxthumbsupx

HensRock
September 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Yeah, we have one of those in our conference too. xlolx

ChickenMan
September 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
The color of royaltyxthumbsupx

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zvW8JgUyL4hZaM:http://soidaddy.com/images/gaybangkok.jpg

among other things... :D

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zvW8JgUyL4hZaM:http://soidaddy.com/images/gaybangkok.jpg

among other things... :D

At least they weren't asianxrolleyesx (no offense to asians:o )

ashram
September 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Delaware fans, any idea of how many are making the trip? All I've heard about ticket sales is we're expecting a good crowd.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hey, is that the team that wears Michigan's helmet?

:)

OL FU
September 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hey, is that the team that wears Michigan's helmet?

:)

Princeton, with different colorsxnodx

89Hen
September 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Delaware fans, any idea of how many are making the trip? All I've heard about ticket sales is we're expecting a good crowd.
Completely guessing, but you may see 500 Hen fans there.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
It was earlier reported that Virgina Tech gave up 199 yrds rushing to Georgia Tech.. that figure is incorrect.. VT actually gave up 278 yrds rushing to GT. That combined with the 158 given up to ECU.. means that the VT defense has given up an average of 218 yrds per game on the ground vs FBS competition and yet they were able to hold Furman to only 34 yrds... very interesting.... xscanx

I can tell you right now that there are many teams that will give up that many or more rushing yards to Georgia Tech. Paul Johnson proved that he can produce big rushing numbers at GSU and Navy. As for ECU, well, many consider them to be the second-best non BCS team behind BYU.

SCPALADIN
September 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Stated much more elequently then I ever could xthumbsupx

SCPALADIN
September 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Completely guessing, but you may see 500 Hen fans there.

Only 500!?! I had always heard that UD travelled well. I hope y'all have more fans that 500 make the trip...it always makes the atmosphere more enjoyable.

ChickenMan
September 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I can tell you right now that there are many teams that will give up that many or more rushing (278) yards to Georgia Tech.

Apparently not Boston College who limited GT to 165 yrds rushing less than two weeks ago... ;)

93henfan
September 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Only 500!?! I had always heard that UD travelled well. I hope y'all have more fans that 500 make the trip...it always makes the atmosphere more enjoyable.

It's NASCAR weekend in Dover, which is keeping me, for one, from making the trip.:( I really wanted to go to Furman too.

89Hen
September 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
How many other out of conference opponents who are more than a couple hour drive bring 500+? It's week four, it is sandwiched between two home games, there already was an away game for which most fans already travelled, it's NASCAR in Dover this week... 500 seems about right to me. xpeacex

BlueClaw
September 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have waited until I read all of the posts to date before I put my 2 cents in.

1} Special teams will play a big role in this game ie Field postion, Turn overs.

2}Defense is going to win this game, I don't see Fuman running on our D, I do see Our O running on their D. Ud's D is big and fast all the way around with alot of debth. If Furman does do anything on the O side of the ball it will be threw the passing game.Expect alot of pressure from UD's front 7

3} UD's O is suspect.I think Furman is going to try and take the running game from UD and force Robby to pass and take their chances. If UD's O line protects and Robby looks down field to the talented Receivers UD has Furman is in trouble. UD may try and establish the Passing game right off the bat, which I think would be smart. UD's receivers are very,very good along with the TE.

If UD's O again provides Robby with the protection it will be a long day for Furman. I also expect Furman to come on with alot of Blitz packages.

4} Time each O has the ball is also key. If UD keeps their D on the field for long periods of time again Furman is in for a long day.Ud's O line is very big.

Delaware is very,very fast on both sides of the Ball, make no mistake about it and especially alot of debth on the D side of the ball, WR's and running backs. 3 very experienced OL.

From what I have read about Furman I beleive they will be in the game threw out but will get worn down. If UD gets up early, that could be a real problem for Furman.

I expect a good game, two great conferences and two great programs.

My pick, UD 28 Furman 17:)

89Hen
September 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I think Furman is going to try and take the running game from UD and force Robby to pass and take their chances.
With the plethora of receivers and the Hens propensity for the short passes, stacking the box or run blitzing could mean a lot of possession type catches for UD. xpeacex

BlueClaw
September 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I forgot to mention that UD's Field Goal Kicker is very good (all american) They have two punter who are also very good, Special team,Special team win this game along with a stron D:) :)

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM

1} Special teams will play a big role in this game ie Field postion, Turn overs.

2}Defense is going to win this game, I don't see Fuman running on our D, I do see Our O running on their D. Ud's D is big and fast all the way around with alot of debth. If Furman does do anything on the O side of the ball it will be threw the passing game.Expect alot of pressure from UD's front 7

3} UD's O is suspect.I think Furman is going to try and take the running game from UD and force Robby to pass and take their chances. If UD's O line protects and Robby looks down field to the talented Receivers UD has Furman is in trouble. UD may try and establish the Passing game right off the bat, which I think would be smart. UD's receivers are very,very good along with the TE.

If UD's O again provides Robby with the protection it will be a long day for Furman. I also expect Furman to come on with alot of Blitz packages.

4} Time each O has the ball is also key. If UD keeps their D on the field for long periods of time again Furman is in for a long day.Ud's O line is very big.

Delaware is very,very fast on both sides of the Ball, make no mistake about it and especially alot of debth on the D side of the ball, WR's and running backs. 3 very experienced OL.

From what I have read about Furman I beleive they will be in the game threw out but will get worn down. If UD gets up early, that could be a real problem for Furman.

I agree about special teams. Furman has two great kick returners but average kickers/punters. Special teams could very easily be the deciding factor.

Two quick stats. Furman lead the SoCon last year in sacks. They also lead the conference in sacks allowed. UD will have to try and get pressure with four. Bringing more exposes them to single coverage and Sorrells will pick them apart. #9 doesn't have the strongest arm, but he's smart and deadly accurate. That Furman OL v. Delaware DL will be the matchup to watch. VT's speedy defense managed one sack for a loss of three. If the Hens reach Sorrells, it won't be often.

I don't see UD winning by two scores nor that their speed will beat Furman. Furman plays very well at home and has plenty of speed on their own. This was a 6-5 team that lost to App State by 7 last season. The same App State that beat Delaware by 27 a few weeks later. FU will be ready for the Hens.

Jaxhen
September 16th, 2008, 02:04 PM
It seems pretty silly to me for anyone to be so confident about how this game will go. About all I can say with any confidence is that it should be a great game.

Hens, my group tailgates pretty far away from the usual visiting tailgaters, but feel free to stop by. I'll be the one with the homemade tailgating trailer with a 21' flagpole sticking off the top.

Agreed. I have no idea how this game will turn out. It could go either way. Hope it's a good one.

ChickenMan
September 16th, 2008, 02:07 PM
There has been a lot of BS flying around from both sides relative to this game (that's OK as that is why we are all here ;)) but the fact is no one.. no FU fan.. no UD fan really knows what to expect this week. Each team has played and lost to superior opposition and each team has played and defeated inferior opposition. Saturday's game will be the first true test as to how the teams stack up vs good FCS competiton. Both UD and FU fans will know a lot more about their teams by about 5:00 Saturday evening.

ashram
September 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Beer-can chicken will definitely be on the tailgating menu for me this week.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/awlowder/Rv-193NCHdI/AAAAAAAAAOY/MMeEJeO0Z08/s400/S6307703.JPG

Any Delaware fan care to give us Furmans a mascot history? Why the Blue Hens?

BlueHen03
September 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/history.html#3

89Hen
September 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Any Delaware fan care to give us Furmans a mascot history? Why the Blue Hens?
http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/history.html#3

University of Delaware teams have one of the most unusual nicknames in all of college athletics. The name "Fightin' Blue Hens" has its origins in the Revolutionary War and has been used by University teams since 1911.

On December 9, 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that a military battalion be raised from the lower three counties along the Delaware River. Thus, the Delaware regiment was born--a group of eight companies representing New Castle, Kent and Sussex counties.

proasu89
September 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM

xeyebrowx It's first got to be in a town to be in a "bad part of town".

neersnbeers
September 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
^^ hahahaha!

furman94
September 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

WTF does this mean?

eaglesrthe1
September 16th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Deep enough for the Hens to drown in.xrolleyesx

AppStsGr8
September 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
How many other out of conference opponents who are more than a couple hour drive bring 500+? It's week four, it is sandwiched between two home games, there already was an away game for which most fans already travelled, it's NASCAR in Dover this week... 500 seems about right to me. xpeacex

How many hours driving from UD to FU? Even with NASCAR week in Dover, it seems like 500 isn't very many. Remember to fill the tank before you hit the NC line - we've got the highest state tax on gasoline of all the surrounding states.

93henfan
September 16th, 2008, 09:08 PM
How many hours driving from UD to FU?

It's exactly 600 miles from Newark to Greenville, so going 75 and taking a pee break and a lunch stop, call it 9 hours.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM
It's exactly 600 miles from Newark to Greenville, so going 75 and taking a pee break and a lunch stop, call it 9 hours.

I lived in Greenville for a couple years and made that drive many times...

Nine hours is about the very best you could do when you factor in traffic through Baltimore, DC, and Richmond. Ten is more reasonable. xthumbsupx

93henfan
September 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
UD game notes for UD-Furman are out:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/football/fbnotes08-furman.pdf

furman94
September 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Bumpity Bump!

T-Dog
September 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
It's that dang purple.

Your just now realizing why purple is an ugly color for football? We can't avoid it. 3/4's of the great moments in ASU history? Against purple teams. First ever wins in the national semis and national finals, both against purple teams. Red headed stepchild that you play for a moonshine jug? A purple team. Heck, even our first game against the defending BCS champs was a (partially) purple team. Thank goodness we have a great record against purple teams. xnodx

At least seeing UD's helmets brings back fond memories. xsmiley_wix

Rant over, continue on. And I'll will be rooting for our purple this weekend while we beat up the other purple team that hates us. xthumbsupx

I say 17-14 Furple. Bobby Lamb actually coaches his way to a win in a tight game. xeekx

fuEMO
September 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM

gosh darn… blue claw. Maybe we shouldn't play this game. Our little boys might get hurt. :D

Your analysis might be right but I think it's not totally realistic. Furman also has very talented players, and Furman is not afraid to rotate players on both sides of the ball.

IMO Furman has nothing to lose, hell we've been predicted to finish 5th in the SoCon and lose to Samford. I expect Furman players and coaches to be very prepared and I think the coaches will let it rip. If Delaware comes in and plays tight. I think the long night could be for the Blue Hens.

bluehenbillk
September 18th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I don't think UD would be tight at all, this is an experienced team for the most part that has played in as many big games as any team in the country minus App St.

I think the keys will be UD's passing game & the OL giving Schoenhoft time to find the open guy & limiting FU's big plays. UD's defense is soild as a rock but can give up the big play.

AppStsGr8
September 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I lived in Greenville for a couple years and made that drive many times...

Nine hours is about the very best you could do when you factor in traffic through Baltimore, DC, and Richmond. Ten is more reasonable. xthumbsupx

10 hours isn't so bad (not even for us old geezers) unless you try it after working a full day at the office. Drive carefully.

ChickenMan
September 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM
If Delaware comes in and plays tight. I think the long night could be for the Blue Hens.

Not much chance of UD playing 'tight'.. in addition to opening the season at Maryland.. UD has played recent big road playoff games at UNI and SIU along with the title game vs ASU. This is a very experienced 'big game' squad and if they don't perform well.. it won't be because of being tight.

89Hen
September 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Not much chance of UD playing 'tight'.. in addition to opening the season at Maryland.. UD has played recent big road playoff games at UNI and SIU along with the title game vs ASU. This is a very experienced 'big game' squad and if they don't perform well.. it won't be because of being tight.
Yeah, I'm not sure who else could claim 4 of last 5 games @ UNI, @ SIU, @ AppSt (might as well have been) and @ Maryland...

YoUDeeMan
September 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure who else could claim 4 of last 5 games @ UNI, @ SIU, @ AppSt (might as well have been) and @ Maryland...

5 of the last 6. xnodx

You didn't include our "big game" against DSU. xeyebrowx

The whole nation was watching that historical (hysterical) event!
xlolx

Wolfman
September 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I pick the Hens to beat Furman. I think Furman is not as good this year as they have been in the past.

furman94
September 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
And what school are you associated with Mr. Wolf?

ashram
September 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I pick the Hens to beat Furman. I think Furman is not as good this year as they have been in the past.

Well, it depends on which years you're comparing this one to, of course. But I really don't think any of our games so far have given anyone an indication of how good or not Furman is going to be this year: a DII, an FBS, and Colgate. At the same time, I think many more positives can be said about those games than negatives. With the way Furman finished out last season, I haven't understood all year why everyone is so down on the Paladins this year.

I think Furman wins this one by 14 or fewer.

Henwatcher
September 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Furman will win this one easily. If UD's defense couldn't get to West Chester's QB, the Paladin offensive line will be pancaking all day long. plus, UD's 5 yd. dink 'n dunk passing game will be squashed by the Paladin defense. This game will be over by halftime.

furman94
September 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
really? are you being sarcastic?

Henny
September 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I have all the respect for the Furman program and their fans. No bold predictions here, I just want to see their faces when they see our D-line trot on to the field. Its our strong point, so as long as you can run between the tackles, the game is yours. Other than that, add an L to you record.

Don't expect the banged up offense and defense lines we sent to Chatty last December.

youwouldno
September 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Furman is a -3 favorite in Vegas, which basically means it's an even match plus Furman's home field advantage.

SCPALADIN
September 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have all the respect for the Furman program and their fans. No bold predictions here, I just want to see their faces when they see our D-line trot on to the field. Its our strong point, so as long as you can run between the tackles, the game is yours. Other than that, add an L to you record.

Don't expect the banged up offense and defense lines we sent to Chatty last December.

I doubt their eyes will be any larger then they were when the Virginia Tech. defensive line trotted out. We were overmatched an average of 50+ pounds. I seriously doubt anything Delaware puts out on the field will intimidate our veterans. Our coaches have done a great job over the years adjusting to large defensive lines. All you have to do is look at our past games against FBS opponents.

Purple Knight
September 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Probably a close defensive first half with little scoring, then Delaware will adjust at halftime and put 14 to 21 points on the board in the 3rd. Then it will settle down in the 4th and finish something like 24 to 14 Delaware. If Furman wins, it will be considered the 'most significant win' of the week. I hope they do and I will be there cheering them on.

Henny
September 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I doubt their eyes will be any larger then they were when the Virginia Tech. defensive line trotted out. We were overmatched an average of 50+ pounds. I seriously doubt anything Delaware puts out on the field will intimidate our veterans. Our coaches have done a great job over the years adjusting to large defensive lines. All you have to do is look at our past games against FBS opponents.

Yes the only problem for the Paladins is we will score more than seven points. Delaware also has the best receiving corps in the FCS and if Robbie gets time to deliver. Its lights out. I'm really surprised everyone had this one so close. If the Hens don't win by at least 14, I will be dissapointed.

Oldhen
September 19th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Furman will win this one easily. If UD's defense couldn't get to West Chester's QB, the Paladin offensive line will be pancaking all day long. plus, UD's 5 yd. dink 'n dunk passing game will be squashed by the Paladin defense. This game will be over by halftime.

really? are you being sarcastic?

Maybe not.

The UD DL looked pretty good against a monstrous and athletic UM OL. They looked very ordinary against a young and much less talented WCUPA OL. Furman's OL is the strength of their offense, IMHO. How that matchup plays out is 75% of the ballgame. We play like we did against WCUPA, it'll be a VERY long afternoon. We play the way we did against UM, we'll be there at the end.

I've been one of the most vocal critics of UD's passing scheme for years, as they've emphasize spreading the field horozontally, but not vertically. Last year with Flacco was the first since '03 when they threw the ball downfield with any regularity, and I gave our OC kudos for using his personnel well. We go back to the old scheme, it'll be too conservative to win this game.

MR. CHICKEN
September 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Maybe not.

The UD DL looked pretty good against a monstrous and athletic UM OL. They looked very ordinary against a young and much less talented WCUPA OL. Furman's OL is the strength of their offense, IMHO. How that matchup plays out is 75% of the ballgame. We play like we did against WCUPA, it'll be a VERY long afternoon. We play the way we did against UM, we'll be there at the end.

I've been one of the most vocal critics of UD's passing scheme for years, as they've emphasize spreading the field horozontally, but not vertically. Last year with Flacco was the first since '03 when they threw the ball downfield with any regularity, and I gave our OC kudos for using his personnel well. We go back to the old scheme, it'll be too conservative to win this game.

EGG-ZAKLY....xnodx............BRAWK!

WrenFGun
September 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM
As a CAA fan, I know that Delaware always comes to play, and underestimating their defense would be an enormous mistake. With that said, however...if Schoencroft does not advance the ball down the field, then Furman will put 8 or 9 in the box and it will be a long day for UD, IMO. Certainly looking forward to it.

OL FU
September 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Sounds like the summation is good offense (FU) against a good defense (UD) and an offense with questions (UD) against a defense with questions (FU).

LacesOut
September 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Nice job by both schools to get a game like this scheduled.

As far as predictions, LOL, I have no idea who will win. I'll leave that to the hundreds and hundreds of experts on this board.

And yep, it's NASCAR weekend here in Delaware. But also still very nice beach weather, with temps in the mid 70's. So that's where I'll be.

furman94
September 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hey, we have mid 70 temps for Saturday too!

Death Dealer
September 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx It's amazing how much smarter eveyone on here is than I am.xrolleyesx

Two things I know for sure. One, it is going to be a beautiful day for football tomorrow. Two, someone will win the game.xnodx

furman94
September 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM
REALLY??!!

Henny
September 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM
As far as I'm concerned UD needs to bloody some noses THIS week. Delaware Football was predicted to finish 3rd in the CAA south, now almost everyone is picking Furman to win this game.

Im sorry, UD gave Md. all they could handle and destroyed WCUPA's first team. Hopefully the kids will take the disrespect as motivation. Yes we lost some key players, regardless UD is stronger in other positions and the QB and RB potitions are not too much of a fall off.

BlueHen86
September 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Nice job by both schools to get a game like this scheduled.

As far as predictions, LOL, I have no idea who will win. I'll leave that to the hundreds and hundreds of experts on this board.
And yep, it's NASCAR weekend here in Delaware. But also still very nice beach weather, with temps in the mid 70's. So that's where I'll be.

Where? I haven't seen one yet.xlolx

93henfan
September 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Sounds like the summation is good offense (FU) against a good defense (UD) and an offense with questions (UD) against a defense with questions (FU).

You have summated correctly. Maybe special teams will be the difference?

Delaware has had strong special teams play so far. Our kicker is good with FG accuracy and distance and has good distance on kickoffs, typically high and dropping between end zone and 5 yd line. FGs this year are 2 for 3 (made 23 and 37, missed 46) and xpts 7 for 7. Punts have averaged 37 yds. Kickoff and punt coverage are excellent (32 total return yards for Maryland and 0 for West Chester). Our total return yards have been 72 vs Maryland and 82 vs West Chester.

Henwatcher
September 19th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yes the only problem for the Paladins is we will score more than seven points. Delaware also has the best receiving corps in the FCS and if Robbie gets time to deliver. Its lights out. I'm really surprised everyone had this one so close. If the Hens don't win by at least 14, I will be dissapointed.

Henny, get prepared to be disappointed. It's gonna be a long Saturday for the Fightins. The Furlads will be running through the UD defensive front seven like margaritas over the rocks at Cheeseburger in Paradise. I've never seen a UD defensive line so over-rated as this year's. Also, the Furlads receivers will be running past the UD defensive backs faster than a runner from Kenya leaving behind the also-rans in the Boston Marathon. UD returns home hoping they can somehow salvage a .500 season.

Henny
September 19th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Henny, get prepared to be disappointed. It's gonna be a long Saturday for the Fightins. The Furlads will be running through the UD defensive front seven like margaritas over the rocks at Cheeseburger in Paradise. I've never seen a UD defensive line so over-rated as this year's. Also, the Furlads receivers will be running past the UD defensive backs faster than a runner from Kenya leaving behind the also-rans in the Boston Marathon. UD returns home hoping they can somehow salvage a .500 season.

Hilarious ! Maybe its time you changed your avitar. If you don't believe in our guys, maybe you should find another team to follow. Delaware's D-line has been coached to contain the QB.

At least you should have read the News-Journal this morning.

Hens going away!!!!!!!!!

Henwatcher
September 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
My avatar serves me just fine thank you. The topic is Furman vs.Delaware, not my avatar, not the News-Journal rag, and not how the D-line is coached. Remember, Furman wins by big.

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Hilarious ! Maybe its time you changed your avitar. If you don't believe in our guys, maybe you should find another team to follow. Delaware's D-line has been coached to contain the QB.

At least you should have read the News-Journal this morning.

Hens going away!!!!!!!!!

My avatar serves me just fine thank you. The topic is Furman vs.Delaware, not my avatar, not the News-Journal rag, and not how the D-line is coached. Remember, Furman wins by big.

HEN FANS DON'T FIGHT! HEN FANS GOTTA HUG!!!xnodx xnodx xpeacex

Longhorn
September 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM

You may be right, but I've thought UD has played much better than expected this season. The Hens still have questions on the OL and at QB, but the D should keep you in the game. Here's to hoping UD pulls off a tough road win and makes a strong statement for the CAA.

Oldhen
September 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
The Furlads will be running through the UD defensive front seven like margaritas over the rocks at Cheeseburger in Paradise. I've never seen a UD defensive line so over-rated as this year's.

Well, we'll know for sure in the fullness of time.

Not saying a word about the LB's. Jury's still out there.

JIMHO, this DL has been a cypher. Last year, they were hyped beaucoup by lots of the Hen faithful and never lived up to the hype, for lotsa reasons.

THIS year, with healthy starting DE's, a year's growth and experience for #53 and #87 as backups rotating in, and another (apparently quality) biggo DT in the mix (Gilbeaux from Syracuse), as well as watching them play well against the best OL they'll see this year, I'm ready to give them the benefit of the doubt. If the plan to rotate 7-8-9 DL's consistently over the course of the game pays off, as it could, playoffs will be a consideration this year.

Could be wrong no doubt, but by the end of the season, we could be looking at a game-changing group. I think they're the heart and soul of the team, for better or worse.

Tomorrow? How the DL plays against the Furman OL is pretty much the game. We get beat there, we get beat everywhere.

Henny
September 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Man, we have our own fans going against UD. This has to stop now! Delaware Football has a proud tradition and will back down to no one. I can't accept a Delaware fan conceding to another FCS team the week before we play. Hope JMU can set Appy straight as well!

Henny
September 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Did you hear that Longhorn? I'm routing for JMU and will be locked on CN8 all night. Go Dawgs!

89Hen
September 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Henwatcher = BangorHen? The only person I've ever had on an ignore list.

AppStateold299
September 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
To tame the Hen faithful... I just added Flacco to my fantasy team just because he is a FCS QB. Congrats to him being named the starter. Good luck to both Flacco and the Blue Hens. I hate teams that wear Purple!

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2008, 07:58 AM
injuries on the Delaware D will test our depth, Bratton was a bigtime hitter and will be missed and now his replacement is out (cipalla) forcing some scrambling in the D backfield, also starting OLB Blair is out for this game

but by all accounts, we are 2 deep at almost every position on D
we look great for several plays and than out of nowhere come a big play haymaker - that could be the difference down in SC

should be a great game - as far as a prediction...I'll take the Obama road - present...foolish to try and predict this game

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
anyone having trouble with gohens.net this morning?

as far as TV looks like $7.95 to watch the game http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/furm-m-footbl-sched.html

game is also listed here - but says cannot find server so Good luck

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

ChubbyCherub
September 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
furman wins, UD i like you guys (My uncle played with Keeler way back when) but you guys didnt impress me last year even with flacco and the apparently all universe cuff and even with the OSU transfer i dont think you have enough fire power to pull it out. it will be a good close game though

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
ITS GAMEDAY!

I am leaving the house in about an hour to head over to PalStad!

GO, FIGHT, WIN DINS!

zymergy
September 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
anyone having trouble with gohens.net this morning?

as far as TV looks like $7.95 to watch the game http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/furm-m-footbl-sched.html

I can't get to GoHens either.

Make sure you cancel after game unless you want to be charged monthly:
(Recurring Monthly Billing, regardless of usage until cancelled)

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Usually the channelsurfing.net broadcast doesnt show anything until about 15 mins before gametime, hence the cannot connect message.

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I can't get to GoHens either.

Make sure you cancel after game unless you want to be charged monthly:
(Recurring Monthly Billing, regardless of usage until cancelled)

thanks for the reminder, Spoiled with CN8 (no charge yet)

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Usually the channelsurfing.net broadcast doesnt show anything until about 15 mins before gametime, hence the cannot connect message.

i assume it's the same link from the Furman site right?

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Well, on channelsufing you watch it free, and on furmanpaladins.com you dish out 7.95. Same broadcast I think...

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Well, on channelsufing you watch it free, and on furmanpaladins.com you dish out 7.95. Same broadcast I think...

thanks 94, the credit card goes back in the wallet for now....

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
yeah... but I've had a few bad expiriences with cs.net before... just wait and see what happens before you buy anything.

SoCon48
September 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Go 'Dins. Choke those chickens!