PDA

View Full Version : WCU's new turf

The Cats
September 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Turf Replacement at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field Gets Underway

Carolina Green Corporation started the project following Saturday night's game versus Liberty

Sept. 14, 2008

Cullowhee, N.C. - Hours following Western Carolina's home game against the nationally-ranked Liberty Flames, the turf replacement project at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field got underway, under the lights with work continuing most of the night. Carolina Green Corporation of Indian Hill, N.C., took up temporary residence at WCU's on-campus stadium and will handle removing the old turf, as well as the installation of the new artifical playing surface.

Surveyors took to the field just before 10:45 pm on Saturday night, with the heavy machinery rolling in around 11:00 pm. The first piece of old turf was peeled back from the southwest end (Ramsey Center, West side stands) of the field with the visiting sidelines rolled up end zone to end zone to begin the process.

Western's new turf came from an overseas company, Desso Sports Systems, which is a leader in artificial surface fields in Europe. The company has also provided turf for football installations at schools such as Oklahoma State, Wyoming and Norther Colorado, as well as Denver and Green Bay in the NFL.

The arrival of the turf was delayed by international travel and customs, which prompted officials to delay the installation until after the start of the season.

Carolina Green Corp., which was contracted in 2003 to handle the field renovations at WCU Baseball's Childress Field / Hennon Stadium, will provide a web cam that is scheduled to be operational on Monday and will be linked to CatamountSports.com to allow fans to follow the turf replacement project at Whitmire Stadium/Waters Field.

catamount man
September 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
We didn't crash until after 1am and the crews came down the street in the bobcats ready to tear up the turf. Glad to see the old turf going away.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SuperJon
September 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Any reason they're doing this now as opposed to this summer?

catamount man
September 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
It didn't come in as customs was holding it up. It'll be on display for the Samford game October 4.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The Cats
September 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
They did a lot overnight....... the old truf is gone.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/genrel/auto_wide/2289609.jpeg

The Cats
September 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Any reason they're doing this now as opposed to this summer?

That was the original plan.

It was manufactured by a German company and was to be installed prior to the first game of the season. For some reason, it was held up in customs. It apparently arrived on site about a week prior to the start of the season. The AD judged there was not enough time for instillation prior to the first game - and decided on instillation the two weeks between the Liberty and Samford games (the first game on the new turf will be for homecoming).

BeauFoster
September 15th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Is the turf going to be two-toned (different shades every 5 yards)? I know this is becoming more popular, in an effort to make it look like real grass with the grain and such. I'm not too sold on the look, IMO it makes it look more fake.

Millwoch
September 15th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I agree. The Citadel new practice field is two tone like that and it does look more fake. But it is our practice field that used to become a mud pit...I think we want it to look fake.

That is a lot of work to do in 2 weeks. I guess the crew will be putting in some long hours.

whoanellie
September 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I just love our (Elon) natural turf er grass field. I understand your mountain Alpine climate cannot take the stress but our grass is fast and just smells better.
WCU's field turf did not look that bad last year Will the new logo be on 50 yd line?

appfan2008
September 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM
congrats on the new turf and i hope installation goes on without a hitch and is ready to go... good luck to ya...

The Cats
September 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I just love our (Elon) natural turf er grass field. I understand your mountain Alpine climate cannot take the stress but our grass is fast and just smells better.
WCU's field turf did not look that bad last year Will the new logo be on 50 yd line?

The new logo will be used on the new turf. I agree also about the two tone shades looking more fake, hope it's all green, just like what was just removed.

appfan2008
September 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
are wcu fans in agreement over likeing the new logo???

The Cats
September 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
are wcu fans in agreement over likeing the new logo???

I think most fans are in agreement with the return to old gold and a deeper purple..... the new logo seems to be pretty popular with Western fans. Kind of like closing a chapter, and starting fresh.

appfan2008
September 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I think most fans are in agreement with the return to old gold and a deeper purple..... the new logo seems to be pretty popular with Western fans. Kind of like closing a chapter, and starting fresh.

good for you... you needed to close a chapter on the last few years!

Appaholic
September 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Turf Replacement at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field Gets Underway

Carolina Green Corporation started the project following Saturday night's game versus Liberty

Sept. 14, 2008

Cullowhee, N.C. - Hours following Western Carolina's home game against the nationally-ranked Liberty Flames, the turf replacement project at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field got underway, under the lights with work continuing most of the night. Carolina Green Corporation of Indian Hill, N.C., took up temporary residence at WCU's on-campus stadium and will handle removing the old turf, as well as the installation of the new artifical playing surface.

Surveyors took to the field just before 10:45 pm on Saturday night, with the heavy machinery rolling in around 11:00 pm. The first piece of old turf was peeled back from the southwest end (Ramsey Center, West side stands) of the field with the visiting sidelines rolled up end zone to end zone to begin the process.

Western's new turf came from an overseas company, Desso Sports Systems, which is a leader in artificial surface fields in Europe. The company has also provided turf for football installations at schools such as Oklahoma State, Wyoming and Norther Colorado, as well as Denver and Green Bay in the NFL.

The arrival of the turf was delayed by international travel and customs, which prompted officials to delay the installation until after the start of the season.

Carolina Green Corp., which was contracted in 2003 to handle the field renovations at WCU Baseball's Childress Field / Hennon Stadium, will provide a web cam that is scheduled to be operational on Monday and will be linked to CatamountSports.com to allow fans to follow the turf replacement project at Whitmire Stadium/Waters Field.

When's the last time turf was laid at WCU? Is turf only good for so many losses per lifetime?

The Cats
September 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
When's the last time turf was laid at WCU? Is turf only good for so many losses per lifetime?

Good grief..... you get more obnoxious everyday..... xthumbsupx

oops.... sorry, my bad... that's an awfuly big word for an asu grad to understand... so here's the defination:

5 dictionary results for: obnoxious

1. highly objectionable or offensive; odious: obnoxious behavior.
2. annoying or objectionable due to being a showoff or attracting undue attention to oneself: an obnoxious little brat.
3. Archaic. exposed or liable to harm, evil, or anything objectionable.
4. Obsolete. liable to punishment or censure; reprehensible.

Jiggs
September 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the new turf in a few weeks.

SoCon48
September 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Just never did care for brown grass in late season or mud. Plus at our two schools, we use our turf constantly for other teams/purposes.

SoCon48
September 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM

oops.... sorry, my bad... that's an awfuly big word for an asu grad to understand... so here's the defination:

2. annoying or objectionable due to being a showoff or attracting undue attention to oneself: an obnoxious little brat.

Make sure it isn't on the SAT your applicants take or your scores will sink even lower.xrulesx Last I checked your frosh had a shot at averaging a thou.
Oh, thanks for the "defination." That's an awfully big word for a WCU grad to spell, even incorrectly.

SoCon48
September 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the new turf in a few weeks.

Oh, the Samford players may get a great chance to see it up close..a lot! Face down.

Just kidding. Congrats on your early game performance vs Old Miss.

catamount man
September 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
When's the last time I was laidt? Am I only good for so many limp losses per lifetime?

THIS is what he meant to ask. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The Cats
September 16th, 2008, 12:17 AM
The Carolina Green web page has a web cam to view the progress......

http://www.cgcfields.com/

scrowl down to: Renovations to Western Carolina University
View Project Progress

SoCon48
September 16th, 2008, 01:13 AM
The Carolina Green web page has a web cam to view the progress......

http://www.cgcfields.com/

scrowl down to: Renovations to Western Carolina University
View Project Progress

Hey Cats, is viewing the replacement of a big green rug more entertaining than watching paint dry?xeyebrowx

catamount man
September 16th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Hey Cats, is viewing the replacement of a big green rug more entertaining than watching paint dry?xeyebrowx

Why don't you do both and then tell us your preference old sage one.xcoffeex

SoCon48
September 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Why don't you do both and then tell us your preference old sage one.xcoffeex

Make more sense for you to do so since you're already tuning in to the carpet laying. Just paint the wall above your monitor and get back to us.

Or better yet, paint Coach Stone Cold Butterbean's skin head purple xeekx and follow it across the screen.xthumbsupx

Carry on.

mountain_man
September 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Will the new logo be on 50 yd line?

No, but this one will...

http://appfan.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/gameblouses.jpg

appfan2008
September 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
well the image on the construction cam makes it look like the turf will all be one color of green to calm anyones nerves who were worried it would alternate...

catamount man
September 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
We should paint it purple. HELL YES!!!!!!!!!

SoCon48
September 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
We should paint it purple. HELL YES!!!!!!!!!

Round off the area behind the endzone and it would like a huge eggplant.xthumbsupx

ASUG8
September 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Thanx fer tha englsh lssnn....xlolx

Appaholic
September 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM

I thought the term was "more entertaining than watching WCU atempt to play 'football'...."

ASUMountaineer
September 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I thought the term was "more entertaining than watching WCU atempt to play 'football'...."

Speaking as an App fan, I think that's actually pretty entertaining. xsmiley_wix

catamount man
September 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM
You guys better PRAY you beat us. All......I'm..........saying. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The Cats
September 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM

"more entertaining than watching WCU atempt to play 'football'

Comes back to bite you on the a$$ doesn't it? xrulesx

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

blackNgold93
September 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM
OK, let's see...

1. You got a new football coach.

2. You got a new football logo.

3. You got a new football field.

You are 3/4 of the way there. All you need now is a football TEAM!

I'm just messing with you. It seems like the administration is finally getting behind you. We're looking forward to you rejoining the Southern Conference.

ASUMountaineer
September 18th, 2008, 06:58 AM
You guys better PRAY you beat us. All......I'm..........saying. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

All in good fun CM, all in good fun.

ASUMountaineer
September 18th, 2008, 06:58 AM

xlolx, You have such a chip on your shoulder. It's all in fun bro. Chill out, we all like West Carolina xlolx

Appaholic
September 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Wonderful.....if a spelling bee breaks out at Whitmire, WCU might have a chance to be competitive.....xwhistlex

SoCon48
September 18th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Wonderful.....if a spelling bee breaks out at Whitmire, WCU might have a chance to be competitive.....xwhistlex

"Definately!":D

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM

No chip on my sholder xrotatehx just a little return of what I got from you guys for my little spelling error...... xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

WUTNDITWAA
September 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Looking at the webcam, it appears that the field will be one color, and not the two-tone look. Oh, and for our Cat brethren, those purple blocks on both ends are end zones. :D

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Oh, and for our Cat brethren, those purple blocks on both ends are end zones. :D

Oh, and what would we do without our "younger" brethren across the mountains trying to show us the way......xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

ASUG8
September 18th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Oh, and what would we do without our "younger" brethren across the mountains trying to show us the way......xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

That's OK, we don't mind. Just follow #14 in the black and gold jersey and he'll show you how to put the ball in the purple blocks.xthumbsupx

WUTNDITWAA
September 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Don't think of us as younger. Just new and improved. xlolx xsmiley_wix

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Don't think of us as younger. Just new and improved. xlolx xsmiley_wix

Oh, we do - new and improved, just like Kaopectate...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511DZAVNNQL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

except, kaopectate relieves diarrhea and is easy to swallow...... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

catamount man
September 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
READ THE SIGNATURE! xwhistlex

ASUMountaineer
September 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM

How many beers had he downed? xlolx

WUTNDITWAA
September 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511DZAVNNQL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

except, kaopectate relieves diarrhea and is easy to swallow...... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Usually our presence causes indegestion in our opponrnts.

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Oh, you mean that "new and improved" model????? xcoffeex

BeauFoster
September 19th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Honestly, you're going to hold something that Appaholic said against the rest of ASU nation? The guy shotguns beers in the shower. After 7:30 am, he's not really in a sober state of mind. :p

ASUG8
September 19th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Kinda like WCU losses......xrolleyesx

ASUG8
September 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
How many beers had he downed? xlolx

I'm scared of Wagner because it would be like fighting butterbean. The Cats, on the other hand not so much.....

WUTNDITWAA
September 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Oh, you mean that "new and improved" model????? xcoffeex

Yep. How many times have cat fans posted on here that they're sick of App State talk?xsmiley_wix

The Cats
September 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Yep. How many times have cat fans posted on here that they're sick of App State talk?xsmiley_wix

just wondering where you are headed with this ?

HickoryCat
September 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Shouldn't that read: Usually our smell causes indegestion in our opponrnts.

The Cats
September 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Shouldn't that read: Usually our smell causes indegestion in our opponrnts.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

SoCon48
September 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
After all the dead are Cats left laying around Whitmire Nov 22, you can flip that one.

catamount man
September 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM
After all the dead are Cats left laying around Whitmire Nov 22, you can flip that one.

And of course, you'll drop by our tailgate as always acting like you like us all. Whatever! Stay on your side of the stadium. xrolleyesx

SoCon48
September 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
And of course, you'll drop by our tailgate as always acting like you like us all. Whatever! Stay on your side of the stadium. xrolleyesx

Just because I toss your stuff right back at you (ASU stinks) and predict a win (sometimes) doesn't mean I hate the Cats. Plus, I didn't say I like you all.....just certain ones plus all of them at NCAAT.

But whatever!

Since it evidently hurt some feelings..I deleted it.

catamount man
September 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Just because I toss your stuff right back at you (ASU stinks) and predict a win (sometimes) doesn't mean I hate the Cats. Plus, I didn't say I like you all.....just certain ones plus all of them at NCAAT.

But whatever!

Since it evidently hurt some feelings..I deleted it.

My apologies. Sent you an email. Love ya!

The Cats
September 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
xbabycryx xbabycryx :pumpuke: :pumpuke:

SoCon48
September 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
My apologies. Sent you an email. Love ya!

No harm, no foul, friend.

SoCon48
September 22nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
xbabycryx xbabycryx :pumpuke: :pumpuke:

Don't worry, there won't be any kissing.

The Cats
September 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Don't worry, there won't be any kissing.

that's an ugly thought xnodx xnodx xnodx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx