PDA

View Full Version : I love Southern,but.....

onemoretime
September 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
This just won't work this season. We barely beat AP last week and took over time to beat Northeastern this week. The defense has to step it up.

introvertedGSUfan
September 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, the defense is SUPPOSED to be where we have the most strength, yet they are so inconsistent. The running back for Northeastern tonight was consistently getting 5, 6, and 7 yards by running right through the middle. Our cornerbacks also really need to learn how to cover wide receivers better.

IndianaAppMan
September 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Even if this season doesn't go extremely well, which it certainly still can with that good young coach you have, take heart: App went winless on the road in '04. Look where they've gone since then.

Ga. Southern is young and still pulling their games out so far. Don't be too frustrated. xtwocentsx

In other words, if you guys turn out to be a tad down this year, as an App fan, I better enjoy this while it lasts. xsmiley_wix

introvertedGSUfan
September 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well the thing is that our defense isn't that young, yet they're just too inconsistent. It always seems like they don't play well at home. :(

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah, the defense is SUPPOSED to be where we have the most strength, yet they are so inconsistent. The running back for Northeastern tonight was consistently getting 5, 6, and 7 yards by running right through the middle. Our cornerbacks also really need to learn how to cover wide receivers better.

That's not going to help against Wofford in two weeks, I mean if Northeastern was getting that much just imagine one of the best running games in the FCS can do.

onemoretime
September 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
We returned 8 or 9 starters off defense last year. We are suppose to be solid on that side of the ball. We had no problem moving the ball with Antonio Henton, Tim Camp, and Raja Andrews. If the defense doesn't step it up we are gonna be in for a long season.

beauvighn
September 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM
That's not going to help against Wofford in two weeks, I mean if Northeastern was getting that much just imagine one of the best running games in the FCS can do.

Be careful my YoungTerrier brother...I think we are trying to sneak up on people this year. No need to fan the flames of the Statesboro faithful.xsmiley_wix

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
In the future please put the Georgia in front. xlolx

ERASU2113
September 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Regardless of how well or bad ya'll are playing........it should get better.

Besides could it be Southern is playing down to the team they face? I mean, personally, I would love to have a game against GSU where I wasn't sweating bullets, like '06, or sad the streak ended, like '07.

I'd just want to see you guys against Wofford, Elon, Furman or ASU. GSU is still scary.

blueballs
September 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Q) How has GSU's defense fared in the past two fourth quarters when games hung in the balance?

A) 5 takeaways and zero points allowed, with GSU scoring 27 points off those turnovers.

ChickenMan
September 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Apparently GSU was able to dial up the same football god as did ASU in their playoff win over JMU last year.. as N'eastern and JMU both lost fumbles very late in the game that cost them each big wins.

I just hope that 'connection' isn't still open when Delaware visits Furman next week.

hippy@GSU
September 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
The wins have been ugly, the first half play is horrible, the line is funny, and the blah blah blah. There are a lot of ?'s but dangit I will be there every saturday to watch the eagles play in the prettiest little stadium in America (That place went crazy last night). They will pick it up, but this season may not be "IT" by GSU standards. Hatcher has a way of making deals with supernatural forces and I know he will against Elon, Wofford, Chatty, app, western, el cid, samford, and furman. Im worried as hell about the conference games, but the second half play has impressed me when the eagles decide to start playing and dominating. Maybe they can learn to conjure that mystical energy in the first half also. Yes, the eagles use black magic and Hatcher is the witch doctor. Sweating Bullets doesnt feel good though.

soweagle
September 14th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Losing two defensive lineman for the season to injury doesn't help stopping the run.

JagHammer
September 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Why did I think this was a thread about The Southern University?

mrklean
September 14th, 2008, 05:33 PM

NOPE we are the real Southern.

eaglesrthe1
September 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM

No problem, since that's where they belong. Out in front.

Baldy
September 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Well, someone is letting hyperbole get into the way of actual statistics. According to the box score, Northeastern rushed 44 times for 165 yards which equals 3.8 yards per carry. Decent, below average numbers, not very impressive. I will go out on a limb and say this...if Wofford only averages 3.8 yards per carry against GSU in two weeks, it will be a long ride back to Sparkle City for the Terriers.

RazorEdge19
September 14th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Well, someone is letting hyperbole get into the way of actual statistics. According to the box score, Northeastern rushed 44 times for 165 yards which equals 3.8 yards per carry. Decent, below average numbers, not very impressive. I will go out on a limb and say this...if Wofford only averages 3.8 yards per carry against GSU in two weeks, it will be a long ride back to Sparkle City for the Terriers.

I Wofford's averaging 7.4 yards per rush. I'd be very impressed if you were able to do that.

Baldy
September 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I Wofford's averaging 7.4 yards per rush. I'd be very impressed if you were able to do that.
That's why I inserted the "if" qualifier into my statement. We aren't playing up to our talent level right now, but I will go out on a limb again and say that GSU is probably still a little better than Charleston Southern and Presby.