PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern @ Georgia Southern

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Northeastern up 24-21 in the 3rd quarter. Any video or audio out there for this?

dlsiouxfan
September 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Looks to be a down year for GSU. Last week's game against Austin Peay wasn't exactly a convincing win and now this? Could be a long season.

furman94
September 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Wow... Hatch Attack?

furman94
September 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Seriously though... PLEASE DONT LOSE THIS ONE!

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
FG, Northeastern up 27-21.
1:40 left in the 3rd.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM
368 yards of offense for the Huskies, mostly in the air.
194 for the Eagles, 42 rushing.

furman94
September 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Holy Cow... wow. I am surprised by this Eagles team.

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
really surprising game right here.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
End of 3rd quarter, still 27-21.
NU ball at their 35.

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
This would be HUGE for Northeastern.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
espnboston.com supposedly has audio, but I can't get it to work.

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
espnboston.com supposedly has audio, but I can't get it to work.

Neither can I. I just tried it.

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2008, 07:36 PM
try this link. I'm listening to it right now.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=90301&SPID=10890&DB_OEM_ID=18700

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Got the audio, but they're playing ESPN Gamenight instead of the football game.

Scoreboard is screwing up, best guess is it's still 27-21, 3:16 left, GSU ball on their side of the field.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Got the GSU feed, thanks Cobblestone.

GSU scores a TD but the PAT is blocked, score tied at 27.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
1:01 left in the 4th.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Touchback, NU ball at their 20.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
1st down, incomplete.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
NU run for 1 yard, 3rd and 9.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
NU short of 1st down. 4th down. 44 seconds left.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
GSU ball at 34 yard line.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
1st down: incomplete.

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
That was a big completion.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
1st down GSU at NU 27 yard line.

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
FG attempt. 45 yarder.

Jackman
Kick team sent on.

tribe_pride
Time left?

Edit: Nevermind

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
OT

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
FG No Good

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
10 seconds.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
NU takes a knee. Overtime.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
NU wins toss, defends.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
TD GSU

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
34-27 GSU, NU gets their turn next.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
3rd & 7 NU

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM
QB scramble close to 1st. 4th down.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Incomplete, game over. :(

Cobblestone
What a great game. Good effort by Northeastern.

IndianaAppMan
As weird as this feels, C'mon, Ga. Southern!

dgreco
thats a tough loss.

Jackman
Can't believe Northeastern let that get away from them. Would have been huge for their program.

furman94
September 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Wow... and I thought GSU was about to lose in a game that they were HIGHLY favored! What happened Eags?

IndianaAppMan
CAA 1, SoCon 1

We've still got App-JMU and Furman-Delaware.

BeauFoster
Lucky Iggles.

89Hen
September 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
CAA 1, SoCon 1

We've still got App-JMU and Furman-Delaware.
I'd say with an *. UR/Elon were supposed to both be contenders for the their respective titles, as are JMU/AppSt and UD/Furman are both 4th ish in their conferences. This was SoCon 3/4/5 vs CAA 10ish. xpeacex

IndianaAppMan
September 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I'd say with an *. UR/Elon were supposed to both be contenders for the their respective titles, as are JMU/AppSt and UD/Furman are both 4th ish in their conferences. This was SoCon 3/4/5 vs CAA 10ish. xpeacex

well... fair enough. xwhistlex

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Can't believe Northeastern let that get away from them. Would have been huge for their program.

They represented the CAA well though.

IndianaAppMan
September 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
They represented the CAA well though.

indeed they did

furman94
September 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah... what was their ranking at preseason?

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Pretty sure they were picked below everyone except URI and maybe Towson.

furman94
September 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Wow... they put up a great showing!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
It's not looking good for GSU so far. Pass coverage is terrible and so is tackling. All of the offense was a small group of huge plays by the receivers. The OL is getting better but still has some problems. And our kicker has missed two field goals under 30 yards and another PAT that was backed up 10 yards. At this rate we are looking at 5th in the SoCon.

IndianaAppMan
September 13th, 2008, 09:22 PM
It's not looking good for GSU so far. Pass coverage is terrible and so is tackling. All of the offense was a small group of huge plays by the receivers. The OL is getting better but still has some problems. And our kicker has missed two field goals under 30 yards and another PAT that was backed up 10 yards. At this rate we are looking at 5th in the SoCon.

I'm not ready to write off the Eagles from SoCon & playoff contention just yet... but even if they have a 6-6, 5-7ish season, the SoCon better look out.

Think of what Notre Dame was last year: absolutely awful. They were also very, very young. Well, by any measure, they're much better this year, and they'll likely be back to Top 10 form next year. I could see the same from GSU.

bobbythekidd
September 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
**** this bull****! The assistants refuse to make any ****ing adjustments when they are getting ****ing smoked all over the ****ing field! This season will have 4 ****ing wins if we are lucky, and we have been lucky as **** so far!

Play football dammit!

[/rant.]

introvertedGSUfan
September 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Wasn't Rozier supposed to be available for play this game? C'mon Hatcher, he already served two suspensions, do you really need to be that much of a disciplinarian?

ButlerGSU
September 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Georgia Southern fans need to relax. Look at the roster, freshmen make up half of it. I for one am proud of our young team to battle back and beat a pretty good Northeastern team.

Go Eagles!

onemoretime
September 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Southern won in overtime 34-27

onemoretime
September 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
thats all that counts

bobbythekidd
September 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Georgia Southern fans need to realize what has happened. Look at the roster, freshmen make up half the roster and we don't have a Foster to make up for the ineptitude of our coaches. I for one am wearing blue and white glasses. Our young team can't tackle a crippled grandmother. and barely beat a high school team.

Were Screwed!Fixed it!xmadx

bobbythekidd
September 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I misspoke earlier. Obviously it can be blamed on a punctuation error. I had a comma out of place. My bad.

Here is what I meant to say:

I am sure out 3-3-5 D will get further review this week as it was intended to meet the spread offense of so many Socon teams. The players appear hungry and look for some hard hits on Elon and Wofford to finish this home stand.

The passing attack is alive and in good hands with Hatcher and company.

Go Eagles!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Southern won in overtime 34-27

thats all that counts

We've got 8 more games and I was kind of hoping we could win 6 of them. This 7 point win isn't going to mean anything next week when we will face possibly the best passing QB in the FCS and then one of the best rushing offenses in the country.

That "34>27 so we won the game" mentality works when you have played very well up to the game and had an off day but not after you have only played 3 games and look bad on two of them.

Erks Eagles
September 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
We are terrible.

onemoretime
September 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Let's wait until next week to judge them when they have a real good opponent in Elon to compare them to. Don't forget that we lost to UTC last year in OT and almost won the Socon. At least we are winning.

BeauFoster
September 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I misspoke earlier. Obviously it can be blamed on a punctuation error. I had a comma out of place. My bad.

Here is what I meant to say:

I am sure out 3-3-5 D will get further review this week as it was intended to meet the spread offense of so many Socon teams. The players appear hungry and look for some hard hits on Elon and Wofford to finish this home stand.

The passing attack is alive and in good hands with Hatcher and company.

Go Eagles!

You almost scared me there for a minute, Bob. I thought you had turned on the Iggles! :p

straightshooter
September 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM
GSU is playing 32 freshmen, and sometimes it shows. Can't explain why they play so much better in the second half against teams, but they do. It could be that Hatcher substitutes so much that he keeps the legs fresh. It sure seems to show in the fourth quarter.

One thing is for sure, GSU does not match up well against big teams. They are short on big OL and DL players, but they have a lot of smaller fast guys.

The three man rush of the GSU 3-3-5 defense didn't put much pressure on Orio until late in the game. GSU did hold Northeastern to only three points in the second half, and that gift score with less than a minute gone at the start of the game didn't help the Eagles get of on the right foot.

That being said, the Eagles found a way to snatch victory right from the jaws of defeat. And let's face it...34 is more than 27, and that's all that matters.

GaSouthern
September 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the support ASU and FU fans! We were 7 point favorites in Vegas. Turned out to be true. The crowd was LOUD! (prob only 16K at most though :() Everything was going wrong, ref's were not too bad, turnovers. But once again we came back late in the game and had some huge plays.

Hatcher going into this game was 0-5 in overtime and we've never won a game where we shot fireworks.

Both streaks ended tonight!

This could be a really horrible season though. But with so many true Fr starting we could really grow up over the season and finish respectable. No idea what to think but Elon is going to be scary!

SeattleGriz
September 13th, 2008, 10:32 PM
GSU is playing 32 freshmen, and sometimes it shows.

Isn't that a penalty!?

Husky Alum
September 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM
We are terrible.

We're worse and our play calling sucks arse.

We lose to Syracuse by 30 next week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM
We're worse and our play calling sucks arse.

We lose to Syracuse by 30 next week.

Yeah, your play calling wasn't great. You ran it well down our throats all day long, and you call a trick play on 4th and inches when you need to get a touchdown to keep overtime going?

GannonFan
September 13th, 2008, 11:39 PM
...beat a pretty good Northeastern team.

Wow, who'd ever thought those words would be strung together in a sentence this year. Well have to revisit that sentiment in a month or two and see if NU has more than a win or two by that point.

Baldy
September 13th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I'll say it again this week...we have got to get a whole lot better between now and next week if we even want to have a chance to stay in the game with Elon.

There is one thing we as GSU fans need to remember. This is the youngest team we have had since Erk's first year. Remember this fact, of the 13 TD's we have scored this year, 11 have been made by kids who were not even on the roster last season. It might take a few more games, but we will be OK. As blueballs said before the season started...they better get us this year because next year we will be hell on wheels. xnodx

introvertedGSUfan
September 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM
We definitely have the talent to beat Elon, I feel that there is no question about that. Our big problem is CONSISTENCY! We have to be able to stop running backs and COVER the opponent's wide receivers.

Jackman
September 14th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Yeah, your play calling wasn't great. You ran it well down our throats all day long, and you call a trick play on 4th and inches when you need to get a touchdown to keep overtime going?

I couldn't understand exactly what happened from the celebrating Georgia Southern radio guys, what the hell was Northeastern trying to do on that play? Was it a halfback option pass? If so, did he have room to run?

Laserlips
September 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
FWIW:

In a nutshell, the GSU team is extremely young and inexperienced... Hopefully as the season progresses our guys will get better... We have some very good athletes, just very little experience.

But hey, it "is what it is", so all we can do as GSU fans is grab our hats, hold on, and wish for the best..

I will say that Henton has the "potential" to mature into a very, very good quarterback.. He's big, tough, and has a great arm. Glad he's here because so far Chappel hasn't shown much.

Just personal opinion/no offense.

Jesse

Death Dealer
September 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I'll say it again this week...we have got to get a whole lot better between now and next week if we even want to have a chance to stay in the game with Elon.

There is one thing we as GSU fans need to remember. This is the youngest team we have had since Erk's first year. Remember this fact, of the 13 TD's we have scored this year, 11 have been made by kids who were not even on the roster last season. It might take a few more games, but we will be OK. As blueballs said before the season started...they better get us this year because next year we will be hell on wheels. xnodx

OMFG!!!!! I agree with Baldy.xoopsx You guys are going to be fine. It's a rebuilding year. Honestly, it's Hatch's first real year as head coach. Last year was sort of a mulligan. He was trying to pick up the pieces after "he who shall not be named" knocked them all down and scattered them about. And look how well he did!!!xeekx I bet you beat somebody or maybe even a few somebodies that at this point aren't expecting it. xeekx Just make sure it's not FU!!xlolx xsmiley_wix

BeauFoster
September 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hey GSU fans, how did Leander Barney play? I heard his name mentioned during the broadcast once, it sounded like he had a few catches.

Husky Alum
September 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM

That's a big time head scratcher. Just get the first down and keep going. Unless the team was gassed and Hager decided to try and catch GSU sleeping thinking we'd just try to get the one yard to keep possession.

Our play calling in the first two games has been interesting, to say the least.

bobbythekidd
September 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hey GSU fans, how did Leander Barney play? I heard his name mentioned during the broadcast once, it sounded like he had a few catches.
3 catches for 61 yards.

blueballs
September 14th, 2008, 09:31 AM
That's a big time head scratcher. Just get the first down and keep going. Unless the team was gassed and Hager decided to try and catch GSU sleeping thinking we'd just try to get the one yard to keep possession.

Our play calling in the first two games has been interesting, to say the least.

GSU had all 11 in the box so the call wasn't quite as bad as it seemed, it was just good defense by GSU and a bit of poor execution by NE. That wasn't the play that doomed NE though, the fumble on the GSU 16 with about 2 minutes left cost them the game.

I will say this in defense of the young GSU squad... in the past two fourth quarters GSU has 5 takeaways, has scored 27 points, and has given up zero.

GSU has some playmakers, led by Antonio Henton, and it seems like they are developing a knack for being clutch. Baldy's right, y'all had better get them this year because when the plethora of young talent (over 50 FR and Sophs have played thus far) gets seasoned they are going to be awfully tough.

Nebuta
September 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Grats to Ga. Southern on the big win. Hats off to Northeastern with the hard fought effort.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Highlight video for any interested...That HB pass was closer to being complete than it looked from where I was sitting.

http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=977&Itemid=40

hippy@GSU
September 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
That place did go nuts! It was mass hysteria! Though I was expecting a convincing GSU win... Ill take it.

bobbythekidd
September 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I didn't say anything about the players. My issue is with the coaches. I could not count the number of times that we were not ready for plays. Our defense was out of position more often than I care to remember. A guy sitting on my right called our D formation the 2-2-huddle. 4 guys were set the others were looking at the sideline while Anders, rubbed is belly, scratched his head, tugged his ear, trying to get a play in. NE just set and snapped. It's no wonder they ate our lunch by just playing football.xtwocentsx

JDC325
September 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
This year is a coin flip but with so many freshman getting real playing time I cant imagine how stacked we will be in 2009, 2010 and 2011. I wish we could play UGA or a big time BCS team in 2011!!!

Seven Would Be Nice
September 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Highlight video for any interested...That HB pass was closer to being complete than it looked from where I was sitting.

http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=977&Itemid=40

Same here. I thought the pass was 5+ yards short. It looks like he almost caught it, 2 yards short of the goal line.

Eaglesrus
September 16th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Same here. I thought the pass was 5+ yards short. It looks like he almost caught it, 2 yards short of the goal line.

Looks the same as when I saw it in the stadium to me; he almost caught it on the bounce.