PDA

View Full Version : Fordha at Dayton Game Thread

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Fordham goes 69 yards for a TD on its first possession. 7-0, 7:25 1Q.

Syntax Error
September 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
please post scores in the score thread xthumbsupx

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Just posted an update in the official score thread.

SE: No indiviudal game threads this year?

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know, if so I really don't like that. I see the game is 7-7 now.

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know, if so I really don't like that. I see the game is 7-7 now.

I wasn't sure if he meant also post scores in official games score thread; or post only in official games thread.

So I asked for a clarification. I'll post updates only in the official scores thread for the moment.

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Well the Furman/Colgate thread is still going crazy with updates and scores.

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
The game threads help you keep updated on specific games in which you have a special interest.

The official scores thread helps you keep on top of all of FCS.

Whatever. I'll follow whatever the rule is.

Fordham
September 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Down 14 - 7 and Dayton driving again.

Have to say that if they weren't playing my Rams, I would be rooting for this Dayton team. They're like a throwback team. Very disciplined, very well coached and hard nosed kids. I'm impressed.

(big 4th down stop while I was typing. We have the ball back and just got a pass interference call in Dayton territory with less than a 1 1/2 minutes left).

Fordham
September 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Big 3rd down completion with 1:10 to go and we're down to the Dayton 37.

Fordham
September 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM
wow - blocked punt after a mishandled snap and Dayton scores - up 21 - 7. Wow!

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
wow - blocked punt after a mishandled snap and Dayton scores - up 21 - 7. Wow!

WHAT! Did Fordham sleep through their alarm clocks?

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I don't even understand why we're punting in that situation.

Fordham
September 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I don't even understand why we're punting in that situation. add to it the going for it on 4th and 1 from our own 28ish on a drive earlier than that and I would bet Masella would like to have those calls switched.

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
add to it the going for it on 4th and 1 from our own 28ish on a drive earlier than that and I would bet Masella would like to have those calls switched.

Seems to me that if you have enough confidence in your D to go for it on 4th and 1 from your own 28, then you go for it on 4th and 10 on the Dayton 37, especially when there's only 40 seconds to play.

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Fordham takes over on the Dayton 1 after a bad snap on punt.

Fordham TD. But blocked Extra Point, and Dayton takes it the distance for two. Dayton, 23-13

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Fordham takes over on the Dayton 1 after a bad snap on punt.

Fordham TD. But blocked Extra Point, and Dayton takes it the distance for two. Dayton, 23-13

Lol thats sad.

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Lol thats sad.

Freakin' unbelievable.

Fordham
September 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
where have you gone Ben Dato? :(

Fordham
September 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM
both D's are doing great. the difference since I've been watching is the kicking game.

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
both D's are doing great. the difference since I've been watching is the kicking game.

Now we've turned the ball over again deep in Dayton territory.

What is wrong with us? Or is Dayton just so good on causing turnovers. They did this to us last year too. And it turned out we rarely turned the ball much after the Dayton game.

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Now we've turned the ball over again deep in Dayton territory.

What is wrong with us? Or is Dayton just so good on causing turnovers. They did this to us last year too. And it turned out we rarely turned the ball much after the Dayton game.

And we turn the ball over again! on the Dayton 2. xconfusedx

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM
We finally score the TD. Dayton 23, Fordham 20, 6:23 to play.

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Ok lets go Fordham....squeak a W

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Dayton wins, 23-20. The blocked extra point and return is the difference.

I don't have the stats yet, but I'm going to guess they are pretty lopsided in out favor. We made way too many mistakes. xnonono2x

Go...gate
September 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Another nice OOC win for the PFL.

Congrats to DetroitFlyer!

89Hen
September 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Congrats Dayton. xthumbsupx

udchuck
September 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Flyers Force Three Turnovers, Block Two Kicks And Improve to 2-0

Dayton's defense forced three Fordham turnovers with two of them in the red zone

Sept. 13, 2008

Photo Gallery

DAYTON, Ohio - Thanks to timely plays by the defense the Dayton Flyers held on for a 23-20 victory over the Fordham Rams in their home opener at Welcome Stadium.

Senior defensive end Scott Vossler enjoyed one of the most productive days in his UD career with a blocked punt and blocked PAT, one of which he recovered and scored for a touchdown, five tackles and a forced fumble.

Senior quarterback Rob Florian went 18-for-32 for 172 yards and a touchdown pass.

UD's Justin Millo tallied nine receptions for 58 yards, while Steve Valentino had five receptions, one of which went for a touchdown.

Although the Rams outgained the Flyers 357 to 279 on offense, Dayton's defense forced four fumbles and recovered three of them. UD improved to 2-0 on the season.

Fordham started the game with a 16-play, 87-yard scoring drive on its first possession of the game to go up 7-0. Rams quarterback John Skelton punched it in from one-yard out.

UD responded with a long drive of its own to tie the game at 7-7 thanks to an 11-yard touchdown catch from Valentino. Florian found Valentino two plays before the touchdown throw converting on fourth-and-nine at the Fordham 29.

After each team's defense forced a three-and-out, Dayton took a 14-7 lead thanks to a Ben Shappie one-yard touchdown run with 8:05 left to play in the half.

Dayton's defense came up with a clutch stop on the ensuing Fordham possession stopping the Rams' Xavier Martin for no gain on fourth-and-one from the Fordham 29. Joe Ries and Sean Heenan clogged the right side of the line and made the play to stop the Rams drive.

With less than a minute to go in the first half, UD's special teams unit put the Flyers up 21-7 as Vossler blocked a Fordham punt from the Rams' 45-yard line, picked up the loose ball and scampered in for the touchdown.

Dayton's first drive in the third quarter started an unusual string of events. After the Flyers went three-and-out, UD's punting unit botched a snap. With the ball bouncing around at the UD two-yard line, the ball was kicked into the back of the endzone and resulted in a Flyer penalty. Fordham received the ball on the Flyer two-yard line and scored on the next play to cut the Flyer lead to eight.

On the conversion play, Vossler blocked his second kick. This time Joe Castenada picked up the loose ball and scampered 90 yards to give the Flyers a two-point conversion and extend the lead to 23-13.

Then on back-to-back possessions the Rams drove deep into Flyer territory only to fumble in the red zone. Skelton down to the UD 17-yard line only to fumble the ball as Ries forced and recovered the fumble.

Fordham's next drive stalled at the Dayton one-yard line when Skelton coughed up the ball again, this time with Vossler making the strip and redshirt sophomore Mike Morante recovering the ball.

Midway through the fourth quarter, Fordham once again drove deep into Flyer territory. This time the Rams completed the drive with a one-yard touchdown pass from Skelton to Bo Marchand to cut the UD lead to 23-20.

Dayton suffered a costly turnover late in the fourth quarter when Shappie fumbled the ball at the Fordham 41 with 3:24 remaining.

However, UD's defense held strong on third and one stopping a quarterback sneak at the line of scrimmage and forcing an incomplete pass on fourth and one with less than two minutes remaining preserving the win.

Dayton will host the Robert Morris Colonials on Saturday, Sept. 20 beginning at 1 p.m. ET.

Fordham
September 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Congrats Dayton. As I wrote above, I really like your team. And no one forces us into more turnovers and mistakes than you guys. Well played.

Flyer Gramps
September 13th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Dayton wins, 23-20. The blocked extra point and return is the difference.

I don't have the stats yet, but I'm going to guess they are pretty lopsided in out favor. We made way too many mistakes. xnonono2x

You're right Joe, on our site I called it a skewed win. The stats say Fordham should have won. You held the opponent to 2 points in the final half! But the Rams were their own worst enemy; and this from a veteran team.

It was an honor to play you for two years. Thanks for the posts here on congratulations.

I learned a few things:

You can't kick the ball out of the end zone for a safety if it was in field of play. That's a half the distance penalty and loss of down (i.e. the other guy gets the ball there).
You best have a speedster holding on kicks in case it gets blocked.
That the 12 blocks of granite included Vince Lombardi; they played when I was born and out of their 12 wins, 8 were shutouts!Flyer Gramps

P.S. My grandson is happy to be in one piece and to win!

DetroitFlyer
September 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Epic, very hard fought game for both teams. The Flyers did just enough to win.... Fordham is a good team and they are going to win the PL again this year. I said before the game that this would be a "classic" FCS game. It was on every level.

By the way folks, the Flyers are the real deal, AGAIN.

udchuck
September 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
By The Way,
FlyerGramps & Detroit Flyer.
If you noticed I'm displaying the App St. Avatar in place of the Dayton Avatar.:(
l Lost a bet with A gentleman from ASU. I had the audacity to say ASU will lose to LSU by 31 points.xbawlingx it was 28 This is my spanking.xbawlingx I must apologize for my stupidity. xbowx

JoltinJoe
September 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
You're right Joe, on our site I called it a skewed win. The stats say Fordham should have won. You held the opponent to 2 points in the final half! But the Rams were their own worst enemy; and this from a veteran team.

It was an honor to play you for two years. Thanks for the posts here on congratulations.

I learned a few things:

You can't kick the ball out of the end zone for a safety if it was in field of play. That's a half the distance penalty and loss of down (i.e. the other guy gets the ball there).
You best have a speedster holding on kicks in case it gets blocked.
That the 12 blocks of granite included Vince Lombardi; they played when I was born and out of their 12 wins, 8 were shutouts!Flyer Gramps

P.S. My grandson is happy to be in one piece and to win!

Dayton is by far the most opportunistic team we've played the past two years. The Flyers force mistakes. We were, on the whole, a very solid team last year when it came to giveaways. Yet Dayton took it away six times last year, and three times today, twice inside the 20. I'm guessing that results more from coaching than accident.

We dominated a URI team that gave UNH everything it could handle today. I think it's becoming clear that Dayton can play with anyone in the FCS.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Go...gate
September 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Epic, very hard fought game for both teams. The Flyers did just enough to win.... Fordham is a good team and they are going to win the PL again this year. I said before the game that this would be a "classic" FCS game. It was on every level.

By the way folks, the Flyers are the real deal, AGAIN.

You proved it the old-fashioned way, between the white lines. Congratulations!

flyenhigh
September 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Dayton is by far the most opportunistic team we've played the past two years. The Flyers force mistakes. We were, on the whole, a very solid team last year when it came to giveaways. Yet Dayton took it away six times last year, and three times today, twice inside the 20. I'm guessing that results more from coaching than accident.

We dominated a URI team that gave UNH everything it could handle today. I think it's becoming clear that Dayton can play with anyone in the FCS.

Thanks for the R E S P E C T

DetroitFlyer
September 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Just back from the game, ( it is a three hour drive back to Detroit ). Fordham is BIG. Their nose tackle on defense is a monster! I am convinced that just him breathing on our 270 lb. center caused some of the centering problems for the Flyers today. The Fordham QB is even bigger than last year! He looks like he was in the weight room all winter and spring! He sure reminds me of Joe Flacco or Big Ben!

I will not be surprised if Fordham does not lose another game.

The Flyers just continue to impress me. The UD defense left everything they had on the field today. It was a MONSTER effort to make enough plays to win the game. The UD offense still needs work, but I think the O will continue to improve as the season rolls on.

Here is to hoping that both the Flyers and the Rams do not lose in any future games this season!

DetroitFlyer
September 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Hey Joe, that means a bunch to this avid Flyer fan! I would give you rep points, but the system will not allow it....

Here is the thing.... It is not only the Flyers. Year after year, whatever team wins the PFL plays a very good caliber of FCS football. I just do not understand why so many folks here can not accept that fact. As I have said a zillion times, the PFL Champion in any given season is an FCS playoff worthy team!

DetroitFlyer
September 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM
By The Way,
FlyerGramps & Detroit Flyer.
If you noticed I'm displaying the App St. Avatar in place of the Dayton Avatar.:(
l Lost a bet with A gentleman from ASU. I had the audacity to say ASU will lose to LSU by 31 points.xbawlingx it was 28 This is my spanking.xbawlingx I must apologize for my stupidity. xbowx

It is OK UDChuck! I have a very good friend that is an App State grad and I actually like their program a good bit. Boone, NC is one of the prettiest places in the USA. I enjoy seeing App play well. I would actually like to see the Flyers take them on sometime soon.... I think we could give them a better game than our PFL partner Jacksonville....

Seahawks Fan
September 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Nice win for Dayton. Congrats. xthumbsupx

Flyer Gramps
September 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Dayton Daily News sports writer Doug Harris started his story of the "big" game like this:

DAYTON — If the University of Dayton football team had faced Fordham in a tug-of-war match, the Flyers probably would have ended up covered in mud.
The Rams' offensive line out-weighed UD's front four by more than 50 pounds per man. And even the opposing quarterback was bigger than any Flyer defensive lineman.

He ended with this explanation of a refs call:

Rule confuses UD
UD punter Jared Phillips tried to take a safety when a low snap skipped by him and rolled toward the goal line, kicking the ball out of the end zone. But to the surprise of Phillips and the UD coaches, that maneuver is illegal in college.
The Rams had the option of either taking the safety or getting the ball after the penalty was marked off, and they opted for the latter. Taking possession at the half-yard line, they scored two plays later.

If you want to read the whole thing, here's the link:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/09/14/ddn091408spudfb.html