PDA

View Full Version : UNI will WIN the Gateway

UNI MadCat
October 29th, 2005, 09:59 PM
A 75% healthy Sanders can still lead us to the promise land. He did (and will continue to) energize this team for the rest of the season.

Next week, UNI upends WKU and SIU takes care of YSU at home. Two weeks, SIU comes to the Dome and gets sent home with tail between legs. Panthers win all tiebreakers and get auto-bid to the Dance.

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 10:03 PM
SIU will be the real test, but if you can get by them you're in great position

Reed Rothchild
October 29th, 2005, 10:07 PM
SIU will be the real test, but if you can get by them you're in great position

WKU will be the test. We haven't beat them since '01.

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 10:13 PM
good luck with that then

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Wow, love the enthusiasm, Madcat. Hopefully this new wrinkle in the O will sustain the running game through the rest of the conference slate. I'm confronted with a tough scenario. Fly with the team to WKU next Saturday (haven't been with them on the road yet, maybe would be the lucky spark :) ), or be a good godfather and go to my nephew's 1st birthday in Sioux Falls. Thoughts??

nmatsen
October 29th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Wow, love the enthusiasm, Madcat. Hopefully this new wrinkle in the O will sustain the running game through the rest of the conference slate. I'm confronted with a tough scenario. Fly with the team to WKU next Saturday (haven't been with them on the road yet, maybe would be the lucky spark :) ), or be a good godfather and go to my nephew's 1st birthday in Sioux Falls. Thoughts??

Pantherpower,
A couple of years ago I was faced with a similar situation. A good friend of mine and old teamate (Derrick Frost) was playing for the Cleveland Browns down at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City the same day as my God Daughters first birthday. I did what I thought was the right thing and against all of my instincts (with a little influence from my wife) I attended the birthday party instead of the Browns vs Chiefs game. I have regretted it ever since. This is not YOUR child, it will never remember this day anyway, but you will. Be where you want to be, by the time your God Son's third birthday party rolls around everyone will have forgotten that you missed his first birthday anyway. But if the Panthers claw out a win at the end of the game to win the GFC... well, if your the kind of Panther Fan I think you are that is something you will remember the rest of your life. GO TO THE GAME!!!!

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Great 1st hand experience example, Jeg! What the heck, I can't stand my sister-in-law anyway!! :D

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 11:56 PM
The Gateway will be decided on the field in the next 2 weeks as all the top teams are playing each other. I'm not sure if this was brilliant scheduling or blind luck, but it makes for a great finish. Whoever can win a couple down the stretch should be in good shape.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/silu/galleries/FB102705/siu-vs-wku-102705-013.jpg

crunifan
October 30th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I love the enthusiasm, but remember that our hardest games are to come. This is no time to get cocky over one win (reguardless of how big it is). But, I really do believe if the panther team that showed up today shows up the next two games we have a good shot at it. Let's go Panthers!

PantherMan
October 30th, 2005, 02:25 AM
IF we somehow upset WKU, then this thread becomes VERY valid. We have had SIU's # of late, and should've beaten them last year (game Petrie went down, and Sanders first saw action). IF we win next week, I like UNI's chances for a conference championship/playoff spot. Lose next week, and it's all over.

siugrad99
October 30th, 2005, 09:45 AM
It's always the newbies who come in here running their mouth. Great win for UNI, but don't go counting your panthers before they bite. Everyone in the Gateway has eaten crow in the past 2 seasons. Will be great games the next 2 weeks and the best team, whoever that may be will represent the Gateway as Champs.

Toppermaniac
October 30th, 2005, 10:13 AM
A 75% healthy Sanders can still lead us to the promise land. He did (and will continue to) energize this team for the rest of the season.

Next week, UNI upends WKU and SIU takes care of YSU at home. Two weeks, SIU comes to the Dome and gets sent home with tail between legs. Panthers win all tiebreakers and get auto-bid to the Dance.

We shall see. Frankly I think you're biting off a bit more than you can chew.

nmatsen
October 30th, 2005, 11:32 AM
We shall see. Frankly I think you're biting off a bit more than you can chew.

Well Topper, although I would not have brought the strong words as my Panther Bretheren has brought so early in the week I can say that I would much rather be in our shoes right now than yours. Having one home game left and then coming to your "sit on your hands lame environment" is much better than you guys having to play us at home and then go to Youngstown. Playing in Bowling Green might very possibly be the easiest road trip in the Gateway, other than having to fly into Nashville. You have no people behind the visitors bench which makes it great right there, you have about 6-7 thousand people there yelling for about a total of 2 minutes the whole day. The only advantage that you guys had (as my memory serves correctly from the game I watched end with the football flying over my head and going through the uprights GFC Championship 2001 Attendance 6,750 people) is the hard dirt that you guys used to have painted green. Now that you have field turf you guys are no tougher of a place to play than Indiana State!

See you on Saturday for the second GFC Championship to be played between us in 5 years in Bowling Green! (lets face it with YSU losing Mason and having to go to SIU next weekend they are in trouble)

igo4uni
October 30th, 2005, 12:59 PM
It will be a tough game vs. WKU. They seem to have our number in recent years. Perhaps the Panthers can get a road win.

peace

igo4uni

PantherMan
October 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
It will be a tough game vs. WKU. They seem to have our number in recent years. Perhaps the Panthers can get a road win.

peace

igo4uni

Hopefully what happened two years ago down in Topperland doesn't repeat itself this season... UNI had arguably a better team that year, and WKU trounced us. Maybe we'll play better as the underdog. A UNI win would sure make that game with SIU in the Dome huge... :eek:

Chi Panther
October 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Whats the status of WKU's RB Moore who injured his shoulder against SIU???

FlyYtown
October 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Folks Mason isn't our God.

He didn't even begin to start until the Pittsburgh Game.

Monquante Gibson was our starter in the first 3 games and he did real well; now our TB from last year is back too. I think we are fine there; our qb issue is the prob. Why in the hell pull the qb who made 7 passes in a row for a td in the drive before? STUPID.

I still think YSU can and WILL win the GFC..

UNI MadCat
October 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I love the enthusiasm, but remember that our hardest games are to come. This is no time to get cocky over one win (reguardless of how big it is). But, I really do believe if the panther team that showed up today shows up the next two games we have a good shot at it. Let's go Panthers!

Oh, I know... I more or less thought it would be a catchy post title that would get some dialogue going!!! Just got a case of wishful thinking going on right now!!

Hey PP -- That's amazing, my goddaughter is turning 1 next Saturday too! Luckily, part of her family is travelling next weekend so they had the party yesterday! Go to the game!! He wouldn't know if you were there for his first bday anyway!! And, with any luck, he'll become a Panther fan too and years from now he'd totally understand why you HAD to miss his party!!

I'd love to join you, however I've got some travelling to do of my own. I'm a Wisconsin grad (Masters '03) and 10 buddies are flying out to Philly and then making the trek into Happy Valley for the Badgers/PSU game next Saturday. I'll be following the UNI/WKU game with updates on the web thru my phone!

wkukid
October 30th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Well Topper, although I would not have brought the strong words as my Panther Bretheren has brought so early in the week I can say that I would much rather be in our shoes right now than yours. Having one home game left and then coming to your "sit on your hands lame environment" is much better than you guys having to play us at home and then go to Youngstown. Playing in Bowling Green might very possibly be the easiest road trip in the Gateway, other than having to fly into Nashville. You have no people behind the visitors bench which makes it great right there, you have about 6-7 thousand people there yelling for about a total of 2 minutes the whole day. The only advantage that you guys had (as my memory serves correctly from the game I watched end with the football flying over my head and going through the uprights GFC Championship 2001 Attendance 6,750 people) is the hard dirt that you guys used to have painted green. Now that you have field turf you guys are no tougher of a place to play than Indiana State!

See you on Saturday for the second GFC Championship to be played between us in 5 years in Bowling Green! (lets face it with YSU losing Mason and having to go to SIU next weekend they are in trouble)

WKU average attendance is 13,000 this year. After half some students leave but a lot stay and the whole stadium is still loud. Plus in a few years we will be have people behind the visitors. I guess things have changed since 2001...

Toppermaniac
October 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Yes, we shall see. You really have no clue. 6,000 or 7,000? I don't think so. We'll see you Sat. Be prepared. I'm afraid you're going to face a very pissed WKU team.

Toppermaniac
October 30th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Yes, we shall see. You really have no clue. 6,000 or 7,000? I don't think so. We'll see you Sat. Be prepared. I'm afraid you're going to face a very pissed WKU team.

By the way, for Bowling Green to be the easiest road trip in the Gateway as you said, it's funny that so few come away with a W. Very, very stupid post. I would think you'd know better by now.

PantherMan
October 30th, 2005, 05:29 PM
By the way, for Bowling Green to be the easiest road trip in the Gateway as you said, it's funny that so few come away with a W. Very, very stupid post. I would think you'd know better by now.

I believe you are taking that statement out of context. He was implying that in 2001 you had few fans, no one behind visitors bench, easy travel, etc. etc. Not that WKU is a poor team. For instance, the Ice Castle and UNI-Dome are hard to play in, even when our team is not having a good season.

wkukid
October 30th, 2005, 05:36 PM
who cares what we looked like in 2001?

Toppermaniac
October 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM
who cares what we looked like in 2001?

All I know is this. We've made the playoffs every year since we've joined the Gateway (also the last year prior to joining), so we must be doing something right.

Toppermaniac
October 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I believe you are taking that statement out of context. He was implying that in 2001 you had few fans, no one behind visitors bench, easy travel, etc. etc. Not that WKU is a poor team. For instance, the Ice Castle and UNI-Dome are hard to play in, even when our team is not having a good season.

They may be tough places to play, but we've never lost at YSU and I don't believ we've lost at UNI. I may be wrong about UNI, but if I am, we've lost at most once there. Stadiums and cities don't have much influence on a game as far as I'm concerned, unless weather if a factor.

Reed Rothchild
October 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM
They may be tough places to play, but we've never lost at YSU and I don't believ we've lost at UNI. I may be wrong about UNI, but if I am, we've lost at most once there. Stadiums and cities don't have much influence on a game as far as I'm concerned, unless weather if a factor.

You guys have not lost in the Dome since you joined the Gateway. The noise in the Dome is a factor. I think the SIU fans have agreed on this many times and YSU has never faired well there either.

siugrad99
October 30th, 2005, 08:49 PM
As an SIU fan I am scared to death of the game @ UNI, especially if it is a win or go home type game (if we were to lose next week vs YSU) UNI has our #, regardless of the outcome last year. I can honestly see a scenerio where we beat YSU and lose to UNI, UNI wins out and wins the automatic bid while SIU gets an at large. Not saying it will happen, but it is possible (along with a million other possibilities). UNI may be 5-3, but to start the season you'd have to say they were top 10 talent so not surprised to see them hang in there without their QB and now that he is back... Ouch

GrizSweeper
October 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Come on over to Wa Griz and we'll see what you have to say about that

PantherMan
October 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Ahh yes, the unraveling of talented UNI team's have happened at WaGriz more than once... That place is one hell hole! ;)

GrizSweeper
October 30th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure if we've ever played there but the UNI Dome looks and sounds like a great facility for I-AA football as well, hope to make it out there some time

rabidsaluki
October 30th, 2005, 09:56 PM
The UNI Dome for SIU is like the Thunder Dome in that Mad Max Movie. Two teams enter the visitor loses..... Football - Basketball - whatever...doesn't matter not a fun place for Salukis.

Little history note here - SIU goes to the UNI dome in 03 needing a win for a 7-0 football conf rec. and loses. Roughly five months later the basketball team, coming into the Dome at 17-0 looking at a perfect 18-0 through the Valley, gets blown out.

I hate the Dome... :mad:

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
The UNI Dome for SIU is like the Thunder Dome in that Mad Max Movie. Two teams enter the visitor loses..... Football - Basketball - whatever...doesn't matter not a fun place for Salukis.

Little history note here - SIU goes to the UNI dome in 03 needing a win for a 7-0 football conf rec. and loses. Roughly five months later the basketball team, coming into the Dome at 17-0 looking at a perfect 18-0 through the Valley, gets blown out.

I hate the Dome... :mad:
"Too many negative vibes, Moriarity"
:eek:

Reed Rothchild
October 30th, 2005, 11:15 PM

I'll second that from 1st hand experience

Toppermaniac
October 30th, 2005, 11:18 PM

What the hell ever. It's a field and a stadium, just like all the rest.

PantherMan
October 31st, 2005, 12:59 AM

Topper, earlier you said that weather was a factor for a tough homefield, and you do realize that WaGriz is in Montana, right? Those guys play in blizzards on about a yearly basis up there. If they get in the playoffs, they host as long as possible, because they fill seats, and come December, it gets damn cold up there. I would also discount your take on the UNI-Dome not being a homefield advantage, we have 72 deg. games with no wind in November and December, not too many teams north of the Mason-Dixon Line can make that claim...

GoGuins
October 31st, 2005, 07:24 AM

I think the last time YSU was there they left with a W

Reed Rothchild
October 31st, 2005, 07:24 AM

UNI's record in the Dome is 146-38-1 (.752) since its opening in 1976. Plain and simple, UNI plays better at home. It is a homefield advantage.

I'm sure Montana's numbers are even better and I really wonder what their playoff record is at home.

nmatsen
October 31st, 2005, 09:02 AM
I think the last time YSU was there they left with a W

Western Illinois can say that too. Kind of dis-credits that statement. I don't care what anyone says, there is no better home field advantage in 1-AA (possible competeing at any level) than Wash Griz. As much as I would hate to send the Panthers back out there I would love to make a trip sometime. I was a little busy last time I was there (getting hit in the head with VHS tapes and being called racial slurs by 90 year old women.)

D1B
October 31st, 2005, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure if we've ever played there but the UNI Dome looks and sounds like a great facility for I-AA football as well, hope to make it out there some time

You did in 87 and won the game. Our OOC schedule that year included Iowa State, Minnesota, Montana State and Montana. Swept the Gateway for the second time in 3 years. We played YSU, Arkansas State and NE Louisiana in the playoffs. Very tough year, but we did well against everone except effin Montana. ;)

putter
October 31st, 2005, 02:59 PM
Yep, the last two losses in the playoffs at home are to Youngstown and Western Illinois. I think the point is that no one is undefeated at home and anyone can be beat but it DOES make a difference with home field advantage! Just ask NW St, New Hampshire, & Sam Houston last year!

Toppermaniac
October 31st, 2005, 11:26 PM
Topper, earlier you said that weather was a factor for a tough homefield, and you do realize that WaGriz is in Montana, right? Those guys play in blizzards on about a yearly basis up there. If they get in the playoffs, they host as long as possible, because they fill seats, and come December, it gets damn cold up there. I would also discount your take on the UNI-Dome not being a homefield advantage, we have 72 deg. games with no wind in November and December, not too many teams north of the Mason-Dixon Line can make that claim...

That's pretty much why I mentioned the weather. It's not always a factor, but sometimes it is. Hello!!!!! And yes, I'm pretty sure I'm aware where Montana is located.

crunifan
November 3rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
I saw this posted at PantherNation and I thought it fitting to be posted here. This is how Youngstown State prepared for the fight in the Dome.

http://www.wkbn.com/news/sports/1826446.html?skipthumb=Y