PDA

View Full Version : Hey mountaineers...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Be honest, how do you like your chances of being the sole Socon Champion and getting the automatic bid at this point? :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I mean, assuming you survive UTC....

BlackSaturday
October 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Apps win 35-25

AppState
October 29th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Please do for us the ultimate favor. Thanks in advance.

edit: Congrats on the win today.

Purple Knight
October 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Apps win 35-25

With the extra help you got from the ref's, you should have won. Congrats.

AppState
October 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Have a nice day.

youwouldno
October 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Maybe I missed something: I thought GSU gave up 42 points today. If you think GSU is going to score 55 points next week, well... I don't think you're going to like what really happens.

Black and Gold Express
October 29th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Because Furman, or any other team on NCAA football, never gets beneficial calls, right?

Learn some class from your team. You need it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Because Furman, or any other team on NCAA football, never gets beneficial calls, right?

Learn some class from your team. You need it.

Furman certainly got some help in the game against GSU last year. Hoo boy...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Maybe I missed something: I thought GSU gave up 42 points today. If you think GSU is going to score 55 points next week, well... I don't think you're going to like what really happens.

I feel good about our win today - they had the home field advantage, a chip on their shoulder, and they are also a decent team. I also feel good about our chances next week, being we are at home, we have a score to settle, and of course, it's one of the biggest rivalries in all of IAA.

Hope you Paladins can make it down to Statesboro next Saturday. Should be another instant classic and one of your favorite football teams ever, the National Champion 1985 Georgia Southern Eagles, will be there for their 20th anniversary :D

ASU Kep
October 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Um...from where I was sitting in KBS, it sure seemed like UTC got some bulls--t calls too. And just in case anybody has forgotten, GSU can win itself an amazing FIFTEEN DOLLARS from myself and two other App fans by knocking off the purple fruitcakes this coming weekend.

yosefcity
October 29th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Yes I think we can win to SoCon out right. We just need GSU to beat Furple for us. My 5 dollars is still out there.

LarryBoy
October 29th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Come on, fellas, let's not reduce these great games, fought so hard by both sides, to "won by the refs."

In the APP/UTC game today, there were crap calls that went both ways.

In the Furman/App game, I'd say the calls went App's way the first half, Furman's way the second half. It's a wash.

In last year's Furman/GSU game, well, that was just overall bad officiating. It was terrible both ways.

If you try to be unbiased about these things, you'll realize that these games may have bad calls, but they normally balance themselves out. If Furman, App, and GSU all played each other 10 times this year, it'd be pretty close to a split for all three matchups. The difference in each game would be whoever made the big play. That's been the difference in the actual matchups so far.

Baldy
October 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM

You definately missed something. Furman gave up 35 points to JSU ( :eek: ), 41 to WCU ( :eek: ), 41 to Hofstra, and 31 to Cid ( :eek: ), if you really think we can't score 55, then you could very well be in for a very rude awakening come Nov. 5th. :nod:

asu70
October 29th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I thought that FU fans were above blaming the refs for the outcome of a game!

LarryBoy
October 29th, 2005, 10:29 PM
You definately missed something. Furman gave up 35 points to JSU ( :eek: ), 41 to WCU ( :eek: ), 41 to Hofstra, and 31 to Cid ( :eek: ), if you really think we can't score 55, then you could very well be in for a very rude awakening come Nov. 5th. :nod:

Yeah, I'm not sure how we can point any fingers at your defense. We're improving, but, Elon is Elon. Holding them to 180 yards is only barely better than par for the course.

I think our best defense on November 5th will be controlling the tempo with the ground game....much like the Eagles will try to do, I'm sure.

youwouldno
October 29th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Furman is giving up 354 yards per game on defense, which means the number of points scored against us is very unusual. Also, our weakness is pass defense; against the run the Paladins have done fairly well. The number of points scored against us is fluky both statistically and from watching the games.

For GSU, it will just take longer to score than it did for, say, Hofstra, because running the ball takes more time. Also, unlike SDSU, Furman has a lot of experience against the triple option (one game isn't enough). I'll gladly take a bet on GSU scoring 55+... I'll give anyone 2:1 odds and go up to 2 grand.

But Furman is not going to win because of defense. What's going to take down the Eagles is the Paladin offense, which is why it's so funny the SDSU game made GSU fans MORE confident. GSU's only hope is that Furman turns the ball over a few times.

Furman 45
GSU 34

Paladin05
October 29th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Furman is giving up 354 yards per game on defense, which means the number of points scored against us is very unusual. Also, our weakness is pass defense; against the run the Paladins have done fairly well. The number of points scored against us is fluky both statistically and from watching the games.

For GSU, it will just take longer to score than it did for, say, Hofstra, because running the ball takes more time. Also, unlike SDSU, Furman has a lot of experience against the triple option (one game isn't enough). I'll gladly take a bet on GSU scoring 55+... I'll give anyone 2:1 odds and go up to 2 grand.

But Furman is not going to win because of defense. What's going to take down the Eagles is the Paladin offense, which is why it's so funny the SDSU game made GSU fans MORE confident. GSU's only hope is that Furman turns the ball over a few times.

Furman 45
GSU 34

I'm absolutely shocked at the confidence of some of my fellow Furman fans. We are going to a place where we have NEVER won a regular season game and terms like "GSU's only hope.." are being used!!!

If we avoid a rash of turnovers, if Ingle plays a solid game and IF(big if) our defense shows marked improvement then we have a chance. One decent game on defense(we were playing a terrible Elon team) and some fans are brimming with confidence. We still didn't tackle well at times and we have a young team up front...that isn't a good recipe to beat GSU!

We will be very fortunate to have a chance to win this one...

ASU Kep
October 30th, 2005, 01:18 AM
GSU is foaming at the mouth already...their biggest rival, currently the #1 team in the land (they will be when rankings come out) is coming to THEIR HOUSE to try and knock them outta the playoffs. GSU likes the playoffs. GSU hates Furman. GSU will win this game. Furman has peaked already, GSU will this Saturday. It might stay tense late into the fourth, but GSU will end up doing their good buddies up here at App the huge favor.

youwouldno
October 30th, 2005, 02:18 AM
I think the Paladins have yet to play to their ability, particularly on defense. And it won't only be the Eagles excited about the game, either.

The idea Furman as "peaked" is rather laughable... look at the declining number of turnovers, improving special teams, improving play from Martin, etc.

I'm not positive Furman will beat GSU-- far from it. Plenty of things could go wrong. But against a triple option team, with a superb linebacking corps... I think the defense will be adequate. It's a matter of matchups. The Paladins have struggled to pressure QBs from the inside. That's not very important against GSU-- in fact, you don't even want to do it because Foster is so fast. What is important is that, often, the defense has had to sacrifice in other areas to try and bring additional pressure.

Such things are not needed next week. Last year, GSU scored fewer points against Furman than any other opponent-- including Georgia and New Hampshire. This year they will score more, but the matchup remains favorable for Furman because of the Paladin offense. Or, more accurately, the GSU defense, which has some very serious weaknesses (especially against the run).

For football reasons, I think the Paladins are more likely to win. You can make up various arguments about GSU playing harder or how impossible it is to play in Statesboro... but some guy in row 13 isn't going to tackle Jerome Felton, and a big hit from Freeman is going to hurt whether a GSU player wants it to or not.

Cincy App
October 30th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Furman at GSU should be a great game and I look forward to watching it on the tube. I believe that GSU should be slightly favored since at home and playing for their playoff lives. Still, anyone counting Furman out of this game is making a big mistake.

My observations are that GSU's defense is a little stronger and certainly more aggressive. I like Furman's offense as it's tough to defend their run/ pass balance. I will pull for GSU so ASU has a shot at the outright conference title but as long as ASU wins its final two conference games I'll have no complaints! Again, Saturday's showdown should be fun to watch!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Your linebackers will not save you. If you put four on the feild at a time GSU will burn you by sending both wideouts and both slotbacks out on pass routes, and the linebackers won't be able to stick them. We don't pass as much as most teams in IAA, but we have made some big plays on passing this year that have given us big boosts.

Defensively, you are right about our run D. We lost three seniors on our D line last year, so the line is inexperienced. The biggest problems we have on defense are sloppy tackling, not penetration of the line. I think the D will step up and make some plays this Saturday.

Bottom line, this is not going to be a game of turnovers and field position like the last five have been. This is going to be an offensive game.

Appdad
October 30th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Bottom line, this is not going to be a game of turnovers and field position like the last five have been. This is going to be an offensive game.

What's the possibility of ERK at halftime?

Talk about rocking the house!

I wish I could be there.

Good luck to both teams.

What an atmosphere for college football.

SoCon48
October 31st, 2005, 08:41 AM

Bull-oney. The dumb-ss refs screwed us more than once in that game. The UT-C receiver knocked our defender out of the play 2 seconds before the ball got there, and they STILL almost didn't call it.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 08:44 AM
Does it really matter?

I mean, how many other teams have used the phrase "a win is a win"

the one time we don't blow someone out and everyone jumps on the Chat bandwagon, hilarious really

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2005, 08:55 AM
Bull-oney. The dumb-ss refs screwed us more than once in that game. The UT-C receiver knocked our defender out of the play 2 seconds before the ball got there, and they STILL almost didn't call it.

I have to love the play at the end of the game where Richie gets drug out of bounds and then tossed several more feet, and we get flagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty. And they were the ones playing the refs??? :bang: