PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ike Moves AAMU-ULM Game

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 07:33 AM
First FCS game impacted...not sure why this one was impacted, I think ULM is playing it WAY too safe, if that's possible. Yep, ULM and Monroe is the direction that people evacuating the coast goes, but this thing is going so far west and south that it does not look like any other game (SHSU/PV and Cal Poly/McNeese included) will be moved...

Ike moves A&M game to Thursday
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Huntsville Times

Because of Hurricane Ike, Alabama A&M's game with Louisiana-Monroe, which was originally slated for Saturday, has been moved up to Thursday night, ULM officials announced late Monday afternoon. Kickoff is set for 6.

The move puts a strain on the Bulldogs' preparation plans, said A&M coach Anthony Jones.

"We've got to condense everything," he said. "The game plan is condensed. Practice time is condensed. Preparation is condensed. Film study is condensed. This was something we found out about (Monday). If we had known earlier, we could have practiced Sunday. The only good thing it does is it will give us a couple of days to recover."

http://www.al.com/aam/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1220951772295030.xml&coll=1

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ike will not impact AAMU vs ULM...

Huntsville, Ala. - Alabama A&M and Louisiana-Monroe will play as originally scheduled on Saturday, September 13 at 6:00 p.m. in Malone Stadium in Monroe, La. Officials decided Tuesday NOT to move the game to Thursday to avoid Hurricane Ike, which is taking a more southwestern track than previously forecast.

appfan2008
September 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
haha... i thought that was pretty silly and there you go now they must have had some sense knocked into them...

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
The only college football stadium that appears to be in path of destruction is in Kingsville.

But I think we can understand why some administrators have an itchy trigger finger these days.

813Jag
September 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
The only college football stadium that appears to be in path of destruction is in Kingsville.

But I think we can understand why some administrators have an itchy trigger finger these days.
I do too, but it would take a hell of a hurricane to hit Monroe. I guess they were prepping for evacuations. xconfusedx

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I do too, but it would take a hell of a hurricane to hit Monroe. I guess they were prepping for evacuations. xconfusedx

Monroe is one of the three cities that the NOLA evacuees go to through the assisted-evacuation. Other two are Shreveport and Alexandria. There was an article on ULM web site about the student-athletes (think it was basketball) helping out...

Perhaps ULM had fears of another evacuation from the coast and that they were going to have difficulties in staging a game because of facility and access related issues...?

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Perhaps I spoje too quickly. The latest NOAA projections have it moving further up the Texas coastline. It could be wet in SE Texas and Central Texas in addition to South Texas.