PDA

View Full Version : UTSA Looks Into Football

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM
UTSA, a member of the Southland Conference, but lacking football is looking into adding football to their university by kicking off a feasibility study which is being bank-rolled by the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.

UTSA is currently the sixth largest school in the state. This behind Texas Tech, UNT, Houston, Texas and A&M. All of those schools are I-A participants. SLC member Texas State - San Marcos is the seventh largest, one of the largest I-AA schools in the nation.

The SLC recently decided to add University of Central Arkansas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi to the conference. UCA is a football-playing member, giving the SLC eight football playing schools. UT-Arlington, a former football playing institution has already conducted a study. Lamar, another former SLC football participant has not had any discussion in recent years.
-------
Web Posted: 10/29/2005 12:30 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

The chairman of the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce said he is committed to raising $50,000 from the private sector to fund a feasibility study for Division I football at UTSA.

"(Raising the money) isn't going to be as simple as one, two, three, but there is enough interest out there in football at UTSA that I think I can round up the funding," said John T. Montford, a former state senator and Texas Tech chancellor, now an executive with SBC Communications.

Montford's comments followed a meeting of a chamber sports task force comprised of business and civic leaders, including former San Antonio mayor Henry Cisneros.

The author of the feasibility study will be decided by UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey, Montford said.

- Staff report

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM
C-USA?

http://www.ksat.com/sports/5035474/detail.html

SAN ANTONIO -- The University of Texas at San Antonio has begun a feasibility study to determine whether a Division 1 football team would benefit the university.

"Do we have enough support, financial support, to support a team?" asked Marianne Lewis, UTSA spokeswoman. "The team cannot be supported by state dollars."

UTSA is considering playing Division 1 football by 2010. Sources told KSAT 12 News that UTSA is interested in joining Conference USA. Roadrunner home games could be played at the Alamodome until a stadium adjacent to UTSA is built.

UTSA's plan has already scored with local leaders.

"If we could have a great college football team here, that would be wonderful," Mayor Phil Hardberger told KSAT News on Wednesday.

"I think they could get a lot of support for a Division I football team," said Councilman Art Hall.

GeauxLions94
October 30th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Lamar, another former SLC football participant has not had any discussion in recent years.

And as long as Billy Tubbs xidiotx is running the show in Beaumont, don't look for the Cardinals to bring back football anytime soon. :bang:

GeauxLions94
October 30th, 2005, 01:40 AM
"If we could have a great college football team here, that would be wonderful," Mayor Phil Hardberger told KSAT News on Wednesday.

Phil, what are you doing, downsizing? Last week it was the Saints. Now you're putting your money on UTSA?