PDA

View Full Version : Chris Lang's Top 25

SuperJon
September 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I know this guy is the beat writer for Liberty, but he follows the entire FCS slate better than some national people. He only missed two of his predictions the first week and I'm not sure how well he did this past week.

First the Top 25, which is still muddled at this point. Hard to tell who the real No. 1 is. Richmond has a great FCS win at Elon but squandered opportunities at Virginia and was shut out. Appalachian State got hammered by LSU (as expected) and hammered Jacksonville (also, as expected). Not sure how good the Mountaineers are. North Dakota State? The Bison have played two weak opponents, but that schedule will get tougher. Props to Montana for the statement win of the week, going on the road with a young team and beating Cal Poly.

1. NORTH DAKOTA STATE (2-0)
Last week: beat Central Connecticut State, 50-14
The scoop: Led Blue Devils 43-7 at halftime. We’ll know a little more about the Bison after the next two weeks—at Wyoming and at Youngstown State.
Next up: Sept. 13 at Wyoming (1-1).

2. APPALACHIAN STATE (1-1)
Last week: beat Jacksonville, 56-7
The scoop: Mountaineers had no problems with non-scholarship Dolphins and get a week to rest before the showdown with JMU.
Next up: Sept. 20 at No. 8 James Madison (1-1).

3. MASSACHUSETTS (2-0)
Last week: beat No. 17 Holy Cross, 45-42
The scoop: Minutemen surviving a rough schedule so far, road game with Dukes looms.
Next up: Sept. 13 at No. 8 James Madison (1-1).

4. MONTANA (1-0)
Last week: beat No. 3 Cal Poly, 30-28
The scoop: Andrew Schmidt runs for 145 yards and a touchdown as Griz make statement to Big Sky that this may not be a rebuilding year after all.
Next up: Sept. 13 vs. Southern Utah (1-1).

5. RICHMOND (1-1)
Last week: lost to Virginia, 16-0.
The scoop: Spiders defense was stout, but Richmond couldn’t finish in the red zone against Cavs.
Next up: Sept. 13 vs. Towson (1-1).

Click for entire Top 25 (http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/sports_blog/article/monday_links_new_fcs_top_25/8161/)

jcmanson
September 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Shhh SJ, we don’t want him going anywhere.:)

SuperJon
September 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
He's good. He deserves for people to know that.

appfan2008
September 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
only four socon teams in his top 25

Screamin_Eagle174
September 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I like his poll better than TSNs... least we got some credit for giving CU a run for their $450,000 they paid us.

elcid96
September 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hard to believe that South Carolina State is in the top 25.

furman94
September 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I think FU and El Cid should be in there somewhere...

Retro
September 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
He's a little off on his rankings if he thinks he knows his stuff..

JMU ranked ahead of Mcneese despite Mcneese bating a better quality team and losing by 8 to a better ACC team, while JMU wasn't as close?

Libertine
September 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
We're parsing D2 wins and I-A losses now?

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Appreciate the conversation and any criticism. In my preseason rankings, I had McNeese at No. 11. The close loss at UNC didn't really merit a move up at the time, and beating Delta State didn't show me a whole lot. Lots of key games this week that will settle some questions for me, including Cal Poly-McNeese; JMU-UMass; SCSU-Bethune Cookman.

I had SCSU in the top 25 in the preseason because I thought the Bulldogs were the best team in the MEAC. Still don't know much about them ... expected them to lose at UCF and they did, expected them to kill Benedict, and they did.

I'm finding out trying to do these rankings this early in the season is a difficult task, because so many teams are playing up and playing down, so it's hard to get a true gauge on where people are. It will start to clear itself up a bit here in the coming weeks.

Good thing is, for the most part, the rankings mean little at this level and are just fodder for conversation, since FCS is smart enough to have a playoff system in place.

appmaj
September 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/unc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/p-lang2002.jpg

This guy??????

dbackjon
September 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Appreciate the conversation and any criticism. In my preseason rankings, I had McNeese at No. 11. The close loss at UNC didn't really merit a move up at the time, and beating Delta State didn't show me a whole lot. Lots of key games this week that will settle some questions for me, including Cal Poly-McNeese; JMU-UMass; SCSU-Bethune Cookman.

I had SCSU in the top 25 in the preseason because I thought the Bulldogs were the best team in the MEAC. Still don't know much about them ... expected them to lose at UCF and they did, expected them to kill Benedict, and they did.

I'm finding out trying to do these rankings this early in the season is a difficult task, because so many teams are playing up and playing down, so it's hard to get a true gauge on where people are. It will start to clear itself up a bit here in the coming weeks.

Good thing is, for the most part, the rankings mean little at this level and are just fodder for conversation, since FCS is smart enough to have a playoff system in place.

Early season is a crap shoot - almost no (other than Cal Poly-Montana and SDSU-YSU) games to judge teams realisticly by.

How can Harvard, which won't play for another two weeks, be ranked?

And how close were you to putting the 'Jacks in??

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Harvard: Residual from the preseason. Started them at 23, they've stayed there. Same with Holy Cross. Was impressed enough to put them at 17 in the preseason and didn't want to penalize them for a three-point home loss to a very good UMass team.

Very close on ranking the Jacks. NAU, El Cid, Furman all look very similar to me. I want to see what NAU does in the next two weeks. They should be favored in both road games (SUU, UNC).

G.S.Green
September 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am surprised that HU can only get an 'on the radar' mention after playing #12 SIU down to the wire after giving up a 20-0 lead in the 1st half. Early season polls don't mean JACK IMO.

McNeese75
September 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
He's good. He deserves for people to know that.

11. MCNEESE STATE (1-1)
Last week: beat Delta State, 52-27
The scoop: Cowboys averaging 464.5 yards per game.
Next up: Sept. 6 vs. Delta State (0-0).

xrolleyesx Appears to have a little Coulson in him xwhistlex

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
fixed.

McNeese75
September 8th, 2008, 09:40 PM
fixed.

xlolx I was picking xnodx But thanks xthumbsupx

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Comparing Chris to Coulson is a cheap shot. Chris actually knows a little about FCS beyond Boone. Although he stills needs to learn football exists in Texas.

:D

dbackjon
September 9th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Harvard: Residual from the preseason. Started them at 23, they've stayed there. Same with Holy Cross. Was impressed enough to put them at 17 in the preseason and didn't want to penalize them for a three-point home loss to a very good UMass team.

Very close on ranking the Jacks. NAU, El Cid, Furman all look very similar to me. I want to see what NAU does in the next two weeks. They should be favored in both road games (SUU, UNC).

good enough.

I too am looking forward to the next two games (NAU is off next week). They have a stretch of winnable games - @ SUU, @UNC, Sac St, Portland State, @ Idaho State, Weber State that will determine if the Jacks are legitimate playoff contenders.

Appguy
September 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM
21. LIBERTY

suprise suprise

bjtheflamesfan
September 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Cmon now. why you gotta hate on the guy. He knows his stuff, and is able to look at I-AA/FCS from a fairly objective POV. I think LU isnt ready for top 20 or top 15 placement at this point. Now this three game run will tell a lot about where they will end up going into a 5 home game in 6 week stretch (and its surprise not suprise)

IaaScribe
September 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Appguy ... one of your fellow App fans posted his Top 25 and had LU ranked 17th, so I'm not completely out there on that one. Lindy's ranked LU No. 19 in the preseason. I think you're insinuating that I am a homer, which I can assure you, I am not.

Big thanks to the people of AGS, though. That blog entry was the most read story on our paper's Web site yesterday.

SuperJon
September 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Not that I need to defend Chris because he can himself, but he is not a homer by any means. He still questions a lot of things about our team. He's never once used the term "we" when talking about Liberty.

citdog
September 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
this poll is the worst of the bunch.....even worse than the coaches...er SID's poll.......lang needs to be taught that the "little south" is not a good conference and that their champion would finish about 5th in the SoCon....EVERYONE but this guy has The Citadel in their poll....perhaps 2 minutes in the barracks would cure him of this slight to The Citadel's honor.

IaaScribe
September 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm not going to put someone in just because everyone else does.

citdog
September 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not going to put someone in just because everyone else does.

so you don't think we are one of the top 25 teams in the FCS? you need your head examined buddy.

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
you need your head examined buddy.

Anybody else find this statement to be uproariously funny coming from the source.

xlolx

It is all about opinions and this early in the season nobody really knows that much. But anything that generates informed discussion is cool with me.

IaaScribe
September 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Not right this minute, no. And you're not the first person who has told me I need my head examined. It will all work itself out down the line. Whoever said there's no need to get worked up over early-season rankings was right.

citdog
September 9th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Anybody else find this statement to be uproariously funny coming from the source.

xlolx

It is all about opinions and this early in the season nobody really knows that much. But anything that generates informed discussion is cool with me.

oh it's really funny.....but not as funny as where your colleges charlatan founder is speding eternity after conning elderly people out of their life savings to build that school you attend.

dbackjon
September 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Appguy ... one of your fellow App fans posted his Top 25 and had LU ranked 17th, so I'm not completely out there on that one. Lindy's ranked LU No. 19 in the preseason. I think you're insinuating that I am a homer, which I can assure you, I am not.

Big thanks to the people of AGS, though. That blog entry was the most read story on our paper's Web site yesterday.

You're welcome :)

We want a cut of your next raise ;)

dbackjon
September 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
And really - from 16 or so on is a crap shoot. There are about 20 teams that can say we are 16-25 right now.

Syntax Error
September 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Comparing Chris to Coulson is a cheap shot. Chris actually knows a little about FCS beyond Boone.Talk about cheap shots. Both at Coulson and CSN/SNW. xsmhx

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Perhaps it was a little out of line. But it certainly has a ring of truth to it. Actually Mr. C is showing progress in year two away from Boone.

Syntax Error
September 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Perhaps it was a little out of line. But it certainly has a ring of truth to it. Actually Mr. C is showing progress in year two away from Boone.Coulson was a sportswriter with the LA Times and sports editor elsewhere until 1993. Then in 1999 he started covering I-AA nationally. He was the lead writer for CSN until he moved to the Sports Network last year. Hardly "year two away from Boone." If you think he has something against your team then say so. Do you think Chris agrees with you?

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I'll let Chris speak for himself. But stringing for the LA Times doesn't change the content he has pushed the past few years. But I don't want to take this thread any further off topic.

IaaScribe
September 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I have no beef whatsoever with Coulson, who has a tremendously difficult job ... this isn't the easiest level of football to cover. Some schools have little to no media presence and trying to find information other than what is posted on a school-run Web site is often impossible. You don't find a lot of FCS highlights on SportsCenter, so trying to follow every league nationally isn't easy. If you look up Georgia's page on ESPN.com, you can get highlights on demand. McNeese State's page? Not so much.

Still, the passion of the fan bases are there, so you do the best you can to cover the subdivision. I can't imagine it's easy being a one-man staff as David is.

Syntax Error
September 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I know this guy is the beat writer for Liberty, but he follows the entire FCS slate better than some national people.
I'll let Chris speak for himself. But stringing for the LA Times doesn't change the content he has pushed the past few years. But I don't want to take this thread any further off topic.Coulson was an employee, not a stringer for the LA Times. Not to mention the head sports guy for other publications. If you planned to disrespect the organizations and the writer then you have done it. You started with a disrespect to other FCS writers, care to name others?

SuperJon
September 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I never said anything about Coulson and never even meant to imply him. You took that and assumed things. I was saying it as a compliment to Chris, not a shot at anyone else. If I wanted to take a shot at Coulson I would've said it straight up like I have before. I'm not one to beat around the bush.

Syntax Error
September 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
You started with a disrespect to other FCS writers, care to name others? "Some national people" means SNW or CSN. Chris does fine but there is no need to denigrate others.

SuperJon
September 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
There are more people than the two you mentioned that try to cover the division as a whole.

placidlakegriz
September 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
You started with a disrespect to other FCS writers, care to name others? "Some national people" means SNW or CSN. Chris does fine but there is no need to denigrate others.

Lets see there's Syntax Error. Must be others.

MSU_77
September 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Look, I'd just as soon McNeese not be ranked at all to take the targets off their backs every week. But, to say that almost beating North Carolina and destroying a ranked D-II team doesn't show much is laughable. Ranking JMU above McNeese based on game results so far strikes me as Virginia homerism. Full disclosure - I live in Virginia also and I like JMU and admit to homerism concerning my alma mater MSU, but come on. I do agree that the Cal Poly game will a good test for both teams.

katstrapper
September 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Look, I'd just as soon McNeese not be ranked at all to take the targets off their backs every week. But, to say that almost beating North Carolina and destroying a ranked D-II team doesn't show much is laughable. Ranking JMU above McNeese based on game results so far strikes me as Virginia homerism. Full disclosure - I live in Virginia also and I like JMU and admit to homerism concerning my alma mater MSU, but come on. I do agree that the Cal Poly game will a good test for both teams.

yes.... the recognition is nice, but it does place a bullseye on you, especially if you are in top 15.

xcoffeex

McNeese75
September 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM
11. MCNEESE STATE (1-1)
Last week: beat Delta State, 52-27
The scoop: Cowboys averaging 464.5 yards per game.
Next up: Sept. 6 vs. Delta State (0-0).

xrolleyesx Appears to have a little Coulson in him xwhistlex

Please tell me my comment (made completely in jest) is not the cause of all the bickering about sports writers xcoolx

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Yup, it is all your fault. xlolx

Syntax Error
September 9th, 2008, 11:31 PM
There are more people than the two you mentioned that try to cover the division as a whole.Like who? Who has a writer that is devoted to FCS nationally? Who has several writers devoted to FCS? C'mon. CSN has many and SNW has one, no one else has any. Sad but true. xcoffeex

SuperJon
September 9th, 2008, 11:36 PM
There's a Pete's Poll out there or something isn't there? I think Chris is better than that. I like Chris's ranking better than the Sagarin ratings right now.

Syntax Error
September 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Like who? Who has a writer that is devoted to FCS nationally? Who has several writers devoted to FCS? C'mon. CSN has many and SNW has one, no one else has any. Sad but true. xcoffeex
There's a Pete's Poll out there or something isn't there? I think Chris is better than that. I like Chris's ranking better than the Sagarin ratings right now.SuperJon,
I know you are a media person so let's get real. Are you saying CSN and SNW are the same as "Pete's Poll"? xlmaox

Are you thinking "Sagarin" is applicable to FCS? Do you know that "Sagarin" does not compute anything not D-I correctly? The NCAA does not recognize "Sagarin" for FCS because of that. So just look at "Sagarin" as the FBS tool that it is. Chris is fine giving his poll opinion, he may even vote in the AGS and SNW polls. But no organizations name national players of the week but CSN and SNW. None have columnists like CSN or SNW. C'mon.

Sly Fox
September 10th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Uh, Dude. SJ is not in the media. He's more well informed than most in the media. But fortunately for him he didn't follow that life path.

Perhaps you are confusing him with me. I'm a recovering sportscaster (I'm on about step 4 of the 12-Step Withdrawal Program).

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Uh, Dude. SJ is not in the media. He's more well informed than most in the media. But fortunately for him he didn't follow that life path.

Perhaps you are confusing him with me. I'm a recovering sportscaster (I'm on about step 4 of the 12-Step Withdrawal Program).

xlolx Yep, sorry "Dude"! You guys seem to reply in tandem.

UAalum72
September 10th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Are you thinking "Sagarin" is applicable to FCS? Do you know that "Sagarin" does not compute anything not D-I correctly? The NCAA does not recognize "Sagarin" for FCS because of that. So just look at "Sagarin" as the FBS tool that it is.
So why are Jeff Sagarin's ratings included in the GPI? If he's so bad wouldn't the GPI be improved by throwing him out?

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
So why are Jeff Sagarin's ratings included in the GPI? If he's so bad wouldn't the GPI be improved by throwing him out?Why don't you ask CSN? CSN and the GPI are not the NCAA. The leap is not comprehensible. xconfusedx

UAalum72
September 10th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Why don't you ask CSN? CSN and the GPI are not the NCAA. The leap is not comprehensible. xconfusedx
Is not the GPI the creation of CSN? Is not Mr. Error the great defender of CSN and the GPI on this forum? Didn't the NCAA make the GPI part of the selection process for at-large teams in the playoffs? And didn't Mr. Error himself state:

"The Division I playoff committee adopted changes in the selection process that will guarantee entry into the postseason for any conference champion that wins at least eight games against Division I opponents, wins two non-conference games against teams from auto-bid leagues and ranks 16th or higher in an average of the Sports Network top-25 poll, the coaches poll and the Gridiron Power index (GPI)." ? (Mr. Error's own emphasis added)

SuperJon
September 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I never said Pete's Poll was on the same level as CSN and TSN. I said Chris covered things better than some national people because Pete's Poll is technically a national thing. I wasn't knocking TSN or CSN. Those two places are great for FCS football.

And no, I'm nowhere near media. I'm a 21 year old grad student at Liberty.

Millwoch
September 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Not right this minute, no. And you're not the first person who has told me I need my head examined. It will all work itself out down the line. Whoever said there's no need to get worked up over early-season rankings was right.

So lets look at the facts....

The Citadel had more yards total offense than Alabama against Clemson. (427-419)...and before you say that they did it against their second team, think again. 236 yards were in the first half. Clemson did not mass substitute until the end of the 3rd quarter and El Cid did the same playing Turner at QB etc. I would hope for a better result in the score with those stats, but it did not happen. We will see what SC state does against Clemson next week?

Furman did the exact opposite to Va Tech. They did not generate much Offense, but their D was pretty tough. Holding V. tech to 24 points and 329 total yards. We will also see how good Furman is this week with them playing Colgate. The power that beat CCU last week. Will FU be ranked if they beat Colgate by 2 scores(I think it will be about that)

Like Citdog said the top 5-6 in Socon beat any meac(did anyone else watch the meac champs from last year suck it up on nat. TV last week?) or big south schools 8 or 9 out of 10.

How can you rank GSU ahead of either school just based on hype. No offense to GSU as I to think they are a top 25 program, but they are in the same boat as FU and El Cid, losing to a top tier FBS program. Why are they ranked and not the other 2? Your logic makes little sense to me.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Is not the GPI the creation of CSN?No. And that isn't the point. But you troll into the thread off topic anyway with your transparent agenda. xrolleyesx xboringx

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I never said Pete's Poll was on the same level as CSN and TSN. I said Chris covered things better than some national people because Pete's Poll is technically a national thing. I wasn't knocking TSN or CSN. Those two places are great for FCS football.
And no, I'm nowhere near media. I'm a 21 year old grad student at Liberty.xpeacex I confused you with Sly Fox. Yes, Chris does a fine job.

IaaScribe
September 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Millwoch,

I appreciate the civil conversation. I'll be the first to admit that I don't see a ton of El Cid football. Or Furman for that matter. I'm not sold on VT being very good at all offensively (and I'm a Tech grad, but I didn't put Bryant Stinespring up for sale on eBay). And I chalked Saturday's game up to Beamer still being confused with what he wants to do with the QB situation.

Here's really what happened ... in the preseason, I looked at what I thought were going to be the top teams in each FCS conference and tried to decide whether or not they'd be one of the top 25 teams in the country, which is why I seem to be more enamored with Holy Cross than anyone else, I suppose. I had them at No. 17 and didn't penalize them for losing by three at home to a top 5 team. Also why Harvard is still ranked. Ranked them in the preseason and I'm not going to dump them because they haven't played.

Is South Carolina State better than The Citadel? Who knows? It's subjective, and the teams won't play so we won't really know. I don't necessarily agree that on a neutral field, the sixth place team in the SoCon is better than the best team in the Big South or the MEAC. A really good Big South team (Coastal Carolina in 06) beat some very good teams from the SoCon and the CAA.

SCSU could get killed this week by BCC and end the conversation, or the Bulldogs could play really well and justify where I have them. Like I said earlier, it's very tough to judge teams like The Citadel and Furman and SCSU, each of whom have played a FBS team and a non. We'll see how it plays out.

I appreciate the feedback, because I'm getting a lot more information on teams that I would have otherwise. I try to do my homework, but my job first and foremost is to cover Liberty and the Big South, and that includes sports other than football. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

UAalum72
September 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
No. And that isn't the point. But you troll into the thread off topic anyway with your transparent agenda. xrolleyesx xboringx
Not trolling. You said in this thread "The NCAA does not recognize "Sagarin" for FCS " yet Sagarin is part of the GPI which you seemed to take such pride that it is used by the Division I playoff committee.

And where is the GPI published if not by CSN? Enlighten me.

Millwoch
September 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, but SCSU(weather they are in the Big South, SOCON, or Meac) does not deserve to be in the top 25 at this point. They should win their conference, but if they were in any other conference would not even come close to winning (not even the Big South, which I think will have a down year).... I do not think they can beat anyone in the top 40 more less, top 25. That does not mean that The Citadel should be the other team...I am just stating that I know of at least 2 that are better in FU and El Cid.

I also think that Liberty is the only team in the Big South this year that has a shot at the beating a top 20 team.

I agree that the poll will work itself out. The Citadel should be 3-1 going into App state...If they are not, then they should not be ranked. If they are, then they can prove it on the field with this 6 week stretch of games..@ Appy, Elon, @FU, @Samford, GSU, @Woffy, Chatty....those bottom teams that are not in the Socon or CAA play much weaker schedules. I wonder if that will show in your poll. In other words would you rank a Citadel team with 4 losses in the end to Clemson, Florida, Appy, and one of either Wofford, FU, GSU, or Elon ahead of a 1 or 2 loss SCST team. I would.

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, but SCSU(weather they are in the Big South, SOCON, or Meac) does not deserve to be in the top 25 at this point. They should win their conference, but if they were in any other conference would not even come close to winning (not even the Big South, which think will have a down year).... I do not think they can beat anyone in the top 40 more less, top 25. That does not mean that The Citadel should be the other team...I am just stating that I know of at least 2 that are better in FU and El Cid.

I also think that Liberty is the only team in the Big South this year that has a shot at the beating a top 20 team.

I agree that the poll will work itself out. The Citadel should be 3-1 going into App state...If they are not, then they should not be ranked. If they are, then they can prove it on the field with this 6 week stretch of games..@ Appy, Elon, @FU, @Samford, GSU, @Woffy, Chatty....those bottom teams that are not in the Socon or CAA play much weaker schedules. I wonder if that will show in your poll. In other words would you rank a Citadel team with 4 losses in the end to Clemson, Florida, Appy, and one of either Wofford, FU, GSU, or Elon ahead of a 1 or 2 loss SCST team. I would not.

that is the game that i am most looking forward to in boone... if we both come in 3-1 and the game is a team ranked #1 and a team ranked about #18 or so... that place is gonna be crazy I cant wait!...

IaaScribe
September 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I certainly respect that the SoCon is a lot tougher than the MEAC, Big South, NEC or Ivy League. Honestly, the lack of strength in the Ivy probably limits the upward mobility of a Harvard. Even if the Crimson go 10-0, they really wouldn't have played anybody of note, other than Yale. Can't see putting them much higher than 16-20, even with an unbeaten season.

Millwoch
September 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I certainly respect that the SoCon is a lot tougher than the MEAC, Big South, NEC or Ivy League. Honestly, the lack of strength in the Ivy probably limits the upward mobility of a Harvard. Even if the Crimson go 10-0, they really wouldn't have played anybody of note, other than Yale. Can't see putting them much higher than 16-20, even with an unbeaten season.

Well the interesting thing about that is The Citadel plays Princeton(in the bottom 1/2 of the Ivy) next week. It does not do much for El Cid's SOS, but it could really boost the Ivy's SOS if Princeton could pull off the upset. Again it will play itself out.

Great discussion...this is what makes football fun...Thank god we FCS fans will know their true Champion in the end....and not letting one person's poll vs. another dictate the champ.

lizrdgizrd
September 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Well the interesting thing about that is The Citadel plays Princeton(in the bottom 1/2 of the Ivy) next week. It does not do much for El Cid's SOS, but it could really boost the Ivy's SOS if Princeton could pull off the upset. Again it will play itself out.

Great discussion...this is what makes football fun...Thank god we FCS fans will know their true Champion in the end....and not letting one person's poll vs. another dictate the champ.
I hope the Ivy schools will start scheduling more OOC games that aren't PL teams. It would make it much easier to include them in my poll submissions.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Not trolling. You said in this thread "The NCAA does not recognize "Sagarin" for FCS " yet Sagarin is part of the GPI which you seemed to take such pride that it is used by the Division I playoff committee.

And where is the GPI published if not by CSN? Enlighten me.Ready? Here is your enlightenment for today:

The GPI is not the creation of CSN. It was developed by a UMass person, "Doc" Jenkins back in the 1990's. When CSN was created at the turn of the century the duties of maintaining the GPI moved to CSN.

Added enlightenment bonus:

Sagarin will not be part of the GPI that the NCAA uses for the next two years.

I hope you have enjoyed today's enlightenment and now we return to the topic of this thread, "Chris Lang's Top 25" and maybe the deeper question, will Chris ever change his AGS moniker from IaaScribe to FCSscribe? xsmiley_wix

grizband
September 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ready? Here is your enlightenment for today:

The GPI is not the creation of CSN. It was developed by a UMass person, "Doc" Jenkins back in the 1990's. When CSN was created at the turn of the century the duties of maintaining the GPI moved to CSN.

Added enlightenment bonus:

Sagarin will not be part of the GPI that the NCAA uses for the next two years.

I hope you have enjoyed today's enlightenment and now we return to the topic of this thread, "Chris Lang's Top 25" and maybe the deeper question, will Chris ever change his AGS moniker from IaaScribe to FCSscribe? xsmiley_wix
SE, is there any particular reason the Sagarin ratings were removed from the NCAA GPI for the next two years?

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
SE, is there any particular reason the Sagarin ratings were removed from the NCAA GPI for the next two years?I'll start a thread about it.

bigchocolate
September 11th, 2008, 12:22 AM
You are entitled to your opinion, but SCSU(weather they are in the Big South, SOCON, or Meac) does not deserve to be in the top 25 at this point. They should win their conference, but if they were in any other conference would not even come close to winning (not even the Big South, which I think will have a down year).... I do not think they can beat anyone in the top 40 more less, top 25. That does not mean that The Citadel should be the other team...I am just stating that I know of at least 2 that are better in FU and El Cid.

I agree that the poll will work itself out. The Citadel should be 3-1 going into App state...If they are not, then they should not be ranked. If they are, then they can prove it on the field with this 6 week stretch of games..@ Appy, Elon, @FU, @Samford, GSU, @Woffy, Chatty....those bottom teams that are not in the Socon or CAA play much weaker schedules. I wonder if that will show in your poll. In other words would you rank a Citadel team with 4 losses in the end to Clemson, Florida, Appy, and one of either Wofford, FU, GSU, or Elon ahead of a 1 or 2 loss SCST team. I would.

I'm sure you are aware that the Bulldogs of SC State will be playing in your stadium this weekend...its a night game....if you're in Chucktown saturday night you may want to check out the game....I feel this is one of the strongest teams SCSU has fielded in a few years...of course the QB is young but is progressing fine. SCSU in my opinion has fielded the best team in the MEAC for the last 2 season but their inability to consistently go verticle with the ball always would cost them 1 or 2 games each season. They no longer have this problem. Although Del State won the conference championship last season, State was ahead with the ball with a little over a minute to play...they promptly turn the ball over...one 1st down and a field goal later Del State is conference champs. The Citadel has a really good team this year...hope to see you guys after Thanksgiving!xthumbsupx

Millwoch
September 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm sure you are aware that the Bulldogs of SC State will be playing in your stadium this weekend...its a night game....if you're in Chucktown saturday night you may want to check out the game....I feel this is one of the strongest teams SCSU has fielded in a few years...of course the QB is young but is progressing fine. SCSU in my opinion has fielded the best team in the MEAC for the last 2 season but their inability to consistently go verticle with the ball always would cost them 1 or 2 games each season. They no longer have this problem. Although Del State won the conference championship last season, State was ahead with the ball with a little over a minute to play...they promptly turn the ball over...one 1st down and a field goal later Del State is conference champs. The Citadel has a really good team this year...hope to see you guys after Thanksgiving!xthumbsupx

I will not be able to make it. I live in Columbia and have to work(convenently picked the bye week for that). I almost always watch the Buddy Pough Show, who is the best coach in the Meac. Let us former Cadets know what you think of our new Stadium. JHS is awesome under the lights. Don't tear up our grass!:)

Bye the way, keep playing the big boys. I like how you guys have increased the SOS. Clemson will be a tough challenge next week, but have a great time up there.