PDA

View Full Version : Bearkats still searching....

blackfordpu
April 12th, 2005, 02:59 AM
The search continues to fill the shoes of wide outs Jarrod Fuller and Jason Mathenia. As many of you may know Fuller was a senior last season and Mathenia was suspended for violating NCAA rules, rumored to be drugs. Lets hope they can find some guys to fill those enormous shoes. :eek:

http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/04/12/sports/bearkat_news/sports16.txt

exbearkat
April 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
The search continues to fill the shoes of wide outs Jarrod Fuller and Jason Mathenia. As many of you may know Fuller was a senior last season and Mathenia was suspended for violating NCAA rules, rumored to be drugs. Lets hope they can find some guys to fill those enormous shoes. :eek:

http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/04/12/sports/bearkat_news/sports16.txt
Well, WR Biren Ealy (transfer from AZ) isn't going to be eligible for some reason, which REALLY hurts us. We really needed him to step in, and now it appears that there will be at least one true freshman starting at one of the wideout positions.

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Well, we got a good group of kids coming in to SHSU and let's hope they can make an impact from the start like some of the kids we've recruited to play basketball for us recently.

exbearkat
April 14th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Well, we got a good group of kids coming in to SHSU and let's hope they can make an impact from the start like some of the kids we've recruited to play basketball for us recently.
Lets hope so as it isn't looking so good currently.

kats89
April 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Ex,

Did we really think that Eiley would have been elgible anyway?

exbearkat
April 16th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Ex,

Did we really think that Eiley would have been eligible anyway?Logically, probably not. However, I had heard so much about him that I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. Supposedly, the dude is every bit as talented as Bosley Allen was/is. You do remember him, right?

kats89
April 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I remember Allen, just the name though. Never saw him take the field. Who do you think could really step up this year. I read something somewhere that Roberts could be a draft pick after his senior season at TE. You don't think they would move him back to WR do you?

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I remember Allen, just the name though. Never saw him take the field. Who do you think could really step up this year. I read something somewhere that Roberts could be a draft pick after his senior season at TE. You don't think they would move him back to WR do you?

Not sure they would move him back to WR, but he does provide some matchup problems as a TE for opposing defenses being a speedster that could easily turn a short pass into a long bomb. With our speedy WRs (which I am sure we will have in some form or another) spreading the defense, it could be something fun to watch.

kats89
April 18th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Even though we have a completely new coaching staff and philosophy,For some reason I really think our offense is going to be something of a freak show. I think we will throw early and often.

exbearkat
April 18th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Well, after hearing about Perry (WR from La Marque) for the last few years, I am hoping that he is one that steps it up and distinguishes himself from the others.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I think it needs to be brought up that we got a few WRs and CBs who are still running the track as the Kats position themselves for the SLC championship in mens and of course, womens' track as we seek out that Commish's Cup!

blackfordpu
April 19th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Even though we have a completely new coaching staff and philosophy,For some reason I really think our offense is going to be something of a freak show. I think we will throw early and often.

I dont think that the offense will change all that much. The only thing I see being different is a few more QB sneaks because of Allen's great mobility and speed. With the success that the offense had last season in the air I think we will throw until our recievers show that they can not catch the ball.

Anyone know if we have any potential running threats at the RB or FB positions?

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Anyone know if we have any potential running threats at the RB or FB positions?

Stevie Smith is out to WR and may return to RB. We'll see. The Kats return all their running backs for the most part including Jason Godfrey. Everyone says to keep an eye out on redshirt freshman Courtney Johnson out of Jacksonville. Desmond Mays was a stud signed out of Normangee, but he would probably be redshirted. Chris Hardy was also signed out of Galena Park, though he also plays DB.

The Kats did lose Robert Garmon, who was your #3 back. I do not think this is an area of concern despite whatever belief some people have as long as Godfrey stays healthy. Johnson could show us something special and Smith, we all know what he brings.

blackfordpu
April 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM
The RB's we had last year were hard workers and did tend to get the much needed short yardage but SHSU lacks any dominant rushing attack. Nothing about our running game last year or what I see happening this year makes opponents really focus on the running game. If we could open it up a bit the passing game will be much better.

Last season we had to rely too much on the passing game and that can be tough when there isn't a running game to keep the opponents jittery about what you are going to do.

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I find myself thinking different than you blackford. Jason Godfrey went out there and averaged 5.3 yards a carry and that's with 124 carries on the season. The problem with the Kats is we relied too much on the pass and could've gone to our RBs more to keep the defense off the field, which I think was a problem in some of the games.

Stevie Smith even average 4.3 yards a carry and that's without a run more than 15 yards. If you get two carries by Godfrey, that's a first down. Two carries by Smith and your looking at third and short. While they did not have many breakaways for long runs, you like those yard per carry numbers. I think anything over four is great and if our backs can put up those kinds of numbers, we should be safe this coming year.
Smith, Stevie 14 99 437 10 427 4.3 7 15 30.5

blackfordpu
April 20th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I find myself thinking different than you blackford. Jason Godfrey went out there and averaged 5.3 yards a carry and that's with 124 carries on the season. The problem with the Kats is we relied too much on the pass and could've gone to our RBs more to keep the defense off the field, which I think was a problem in some of the games.

Stevie Smith even average 4.3 yards a carry and that's without a run more than 15 yards. If you get two carries by Godfrey, that's a first down. Two carries by Smith and your looking at third and short. While they did not have many breakaways for long runs, you like those yard per carry numbers. I think anything over four is great and if our backs can put up those kinds of numbers, we should be safe this coming year.
Smith, Stevie 14 99 437 10 427 4.3 7 15 30.5

Terror, those are good numbers but I still dont see it as much of a threat. Obviously the coaches last year felt the same way because Godfrey only had 124 carries and didnt even break the 700yrd mark. We'll see how this season plays out with the passing and running games but unless something big happens I think we will still be a pass oriented team.

kats89
April 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I personally think that you will see more emphasis on the run this year and numbers will increase. I look for Coach Fergy to take advantage of Allen's speed and mobility a lot, running that read option around the end. And yes, do keep an eye on Courtney Johnson. This kid is supposedly the real deal and very quick. Can't wait for spring game this weekend.

blackfordpu
April 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Yea, I dont know if I am going to be able to make it to the game unfortunatly. I have to work. I'll have to see what time it is and if I can squeeze it in somehow.

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Terror, those are good numbers but I still dont see it as much of a threat. Obviously the coaches last year felt the same way because Godfrey only had 124 carries and didnt even break the 700yrd mark. We'll see how this season plays out with the passing and running games but unless something big happens I think we will still be a pass oriented team.

Godfrey was in the doghouse at parts of the season and if I am not mistaken, was also playing hurt at other parts. You had three decent backs who combined for over 1450 yards as a collective unit. So, you were averaging over 100 rushing yards per game in a very pass-happy offensive unit that was putting up 358 yards per game.

I think the running backs did not get the credit they deserve especially when you have one back that had 28 receptions and another with 19. Oh well, what do I know?

exbearkat
April 20th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Yea, I dont know if I am going to be able to make it to the game unfortunatly. I have to work. I'll have to see what time it is and if I can squeeze it in somehow.
Game is set to start at 2pm on Sunday.

blackfordpu
April 20th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Godfrey was in the doghouse at parts of the season and if I am not mistaken, was also playing hurt at other parts. You had three decent backs who combined for over 1450 yards as a collective unit. So, you were averaging over 100 rushing yards per game in a very pass-happy offensive unit that was putting up 358 yards per game.

I think the running backs did not get the credit they deserve especially when you have one back that had 28 receptions and another with 19. Oh well, what do I know?

Terror, in no way am I trying to discredit you. I am just stating things that I have observed and opinions. I respect and appreciate your input.

Smith moving to WR may not be a bad thing. He has speed and is a big guy with above average hands. The only down side I can see to him moving there is his height. Taller CB's will pose a problem unless he can just out run them.

blackfordpu
April 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Game is set to start at 2pm on Sunday.

Maybe I can try to do some extra things on friday and saturday so I can make time for the game on Sunday.

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I will be at the spring game. In what role, I do not know. But, I will be there...