PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion headed for I-AA...???

ChickenMan
April 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM
http://media.hamptonroads.com/images/sports/odufootballart.gif

By JIM DUCIBELLA, The Virginian-Pilot

Few things depress Sonny Stallings more than his fall visits to Charlottesville, Blacksburg or Williamsburg. Talking with alumni of the colleges located there causes his mood to drop like a crisp, crimson leaf. “Invariably, the conversation turns to football,” said Stallings, a 1972 Old Dominion University graduate now on the school’s Board of Visitors. “People talk about what Tech and Virginia did. Then someone will ask: 'Where did you go to school?’”

Here it comes, Stallings thinks.
“Old Dominion,” he replies before enduring what one might call “the sympathy pause.”

“It’s like they’re thinking: 'Poor thing, you’ve never really enjoyed a Saturday afternoon, have you?

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=85495&ran=33168

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Although I have no problem with ODU contemplating football, the article paints an absurdly rosy picture of the possibility of ODU football.

As for annual costs, documents that most colleges file with the Department of Education lend insight into I-AA football. Based on information that eight mid-Atlantic universities submitted for the 2003 season – the most recent available – the average cost is $2.47 million. The same schools reported average revenue of $2.38 million.

“Even if it is $30 million” to get started, “I believe the university has matured and could handle it,” said Scotty Ward, a former ODU rugby coach who in the 1980s was vice president of Citizens for ODU Football. “I don’t think raising that money would hurt any programs, and it would be very popular.”

$30 million. That's a *lot* of money to raise. There's no guarantee they'll be able to get the money together. And you think that ODU basketball won't notice?

Second, if they think spending 2.47 million for a competitive I-AA program will make them contenders in the CAA, I've got a bridge to sell them. Why don't they look at the costs of JMU, Delaware, and W&M? I bet the costs per year then run into the $3.5-$4 million range in a big hurry.

“I asked, 'Is Virginia Tech a more popular place than ODU because it has football?’” said Boyles, a senior from Bristow. “'Would you be more prone to go to Virginia Tech for that reason alone?’ One hundred percent of the students answered yes. I was amazed.

If you are expecting Virginia Tech, boy, are you in for a disappointment. Even if ODU achieves their wildest I-AA dreams, to depend on a false survey like this is just stupid. I'd bet you'd get the same response at Holy Cross if you'd ask, "Would you be more prone to go to Boston College because they have a better football program than HC?" It means nothing; and news flash - ODU is going to be competing with Towson, NOT VA Tech.

This time, ODU would have a built-in slate that would include William and Mary, James Madison, Delaware, Towson University, Northeastern and Hofstra. All are CAA members competing against ODU in other sports. Richmond and Maine will join the CAA for football only.

ODU also could use games against non members Norfolk State and Hampton University to create strong local rivalries.

Scheduling, Runte agreed, “is one impediment that doesn’t exist.”

With CAA football, travel costs could be more easily kept in check, too, because ODU would bus to many of its road games.

The school’s location also could rein in recruiting expenses. Hampton Roads has long been recognized as a hotbed for high school football. Dozens of high school players leave the Southside and Peninsula each year to play for the region’s I-A and I-AA programs.

Scheduling is one impediment that doesn't exist - IF - they can pony up the money year in and year out to compete in the new full-scholarship CAA, which nobody has proven.

Hampton Roads may be a hotbed for recuiting, but how likely is it that ODU can tap into that mine?

I think the article is balanced, but the "Yea's" to me are ignoring some harsh realities.

bluehenbillk
April 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM
FYI:

UD #'s from 2003:

Revenue: 4.69M
Expenses: 3.25M

colgate13
April 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
What's the current state/usage of "Foreman Field"?

BTW, I do agree with this quote:

"There’s nothing like the kind of celebration college football provides,”

-Gordon A. McDougall, president of the school’s alumni association

CollegeSportsInfo
April 25th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Bring them on. The CAA will need a few schgools years down the road when/if there is any movement from the lieks of UD, JMU, UMass, etc.

colgate13
April 25th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Where's UD and JMU going? UMass could move down the road, but the full sport CAA schools will most likely stay there.

mainejeff
April 25th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, if UD and JMU ever leave the CAA.....then CAA Football is D-E-A-D.

rufus
April 25th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Where's UD and JMU going? UMass could move down the road, but the full sport CAA schools will most likely stay there.

I believe the poster was referring to the the possibility that JMU, Delaware, and UMass will move to I-A. Despite the fact that Delaware could probably make the jump to the MAC or Sun Belt any time it wishes, I have never seen any indication that the school is even considering a move to I-A. JMU, on the other hand, openly acknowledges that it plans to one day make the move to I-A. With a I-AA championship under their belt, a recently completed $10 million atheletic performance center, and long-term plans to expand their stadium to 40,000 seats, I would guess that JMU plans to make the jump sooner than many expect. UMass is always a candidate for a move to I-A as well.

bisonguy
April 25th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Second, if they think spending 2.47 million for a competitive I-AA program will make them contenders in the CAA, I've got a bridge to sell them. Why don't they look at the costs of JMU, Delaware, and W&M? I bet the costs per year then run into the $3.5-$4 million range in a big hurry.

How much is the bridge?

2003 JMU Football Revenue-$2,865,066
2003 JMU Football Expnenses- $2,322,931

2003 W&M Football Revenue- $2,243,361
2003 W&M Football Expenses- $2,667,056

89Hen
April 25th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Bring them on. The CAA will need a few schgools years down the road when/if there is any movement from the lieks of UD, JMU...

Besides obviously being drunk Quinn :p what do you think the chances of UD or JMU going anywhere are? There are several schools that aren't going anywhere but the CAA: Delaware, JMU, W&M, Towson.... are among them. If you want to talk about attrition in the CAA look at Richmond, URI, UMass... teams that aren't full members of the CAA.

89Hen
April 25th, 2005, 07:28 PM
JMU, on the other hand, openly acknowledges that it plans to one day make the move to I-A. With a I-AA championship under their belt, a recently completed $10 million atheletic performance center, and long-term plans to expand their stadium to 40,000 seats

:confused: :confused: A quote in a local rag about an admin person stating their stadium having the chance of someday, possibly looking at the remote chance of considering expanding beyond current capacity and now they're openly acknowledging a plan to move to I-A??

JMU2004
April 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM
89...its much more than that. The Admin. has openly told JMU boosters its plans. The key to the whole thing is that we will ONLY do it if the situation is exactly right.

I really can't ever see JMU and UD splitting up....the schools mirror each other in so many areas.

rufus
April 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, 89Hen. I don't claim to be in the know regarding the future of JMU's program, but from what I've read JMU would like to make the move eventually. Here are a couple of articles that seem to indicate that stadium expansion is more than something an admin metioned once:

http://www.jmusports.com/BFS/Vision.asp

http://www.loudspeakers.net/main/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=97

The JMU website says that additional construction will begin "soon after phase one construction is complete." I believe that phase one is complete or nearly complete. The contractors that have already participated in recent upgrades seem to think that the stadium will be expanded by at least a few thousand seats in 2005 - 2006 and expect a significant increase in future seating capacity. A few thousand seats is a far cry from 40,000, but the JMU administration does appear to have some level of commitment to expansion. I see nothing in the vision statement about I-A, but a 40,000 seat stadium seems really big for I-AA.

JMU Duke Dog
April 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I have no idea what Delaware's plans are for the future of their football program. But if only JMU left from the current CAA setup of all 12 Atlantic 10 teams, then ODU could take the Dukes place in the CAA. It will be several leaves before JMU left, and it will also take several years for ODU to establish a I-AA football program. I cannot imagine the CAA having 13 members if ODU joined and no one left.

Dream Situation That Would Never Happen: The ACC gives up the NYC and Boston media markets by kicking out BC and accepts JMU into the ACC. :p

mainejeff
April 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM
So which I-A conference will JMU be joining?

Mr. C
April 25th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I believe the poster was referring to the the possibility that JMU, Delaware, and UMass will move to I-A. Despite the fact that Delaware could probably make the jump to the MAC or Sun Belt any time it wishes, I have never seen any indication that the school is even considering a move to I-A. JMU, on the other hand, openly acknowledges that it plans to one day make the move to I-A. With a I-AA championship under their belt, a recently completed $10 million atheletic performance center, and long-term plans to expand their stadium to 40,000 seats, I would guess that JMU plans to make the jump sooner than many expect. UMass is always a candidate for a move to I-A as well.

Just because someone wins ONE I-AA title doesn't mean a team is going I-A. The only school to win a title and move on in recent years was Marshall after the 1996 season. It would make little sense for JMU to move to I-A. Any neither the MAC or the Sun Belt — two of the weakest I-A leagues — would be a good geographic fit for the Dukes. I, for one, don't see JMU or Delaware going anywhere.

JMU Duke Dog
April 25th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Just because someone wins ONE I-AA title doesn't mean a team is going I-A.
JMU's plans were already in the works several years before the Dukes won this past season's national championship. The national championship and hopefully continued success will help bring in the donations needed to fund these construction projects. Overall JMU is expanding in all aspects of the university as it plans to increase enrollment from almost 17,000 now to well over 20,000 in the very near future. JMU is one of the fastest growing and changing universities in the nation.

So which I-A conference will JMU be joining?
If the Big East splits in all sports due to having 16 schools for basketball, then JMU could perhaps go there. The Big East makes the most sense geographically to JMU as a lot of students reside in the northeast. No one has discussed publically what conference specifically, because it is several years away and the college conference landscape has been undergoing big changes recently.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I think the CAA, by adding football, is opening itself up down the road for moving to I-A status - as JMU2004 says, if the situation is exactly right. Having said that, I can't see a situation where any of the other all-sports members (N'Eastern, Hofstra, Towson, W&M) or other potential CAA all-sport football members (ODU, Georgia St., Drexel) can cobble together enough I-A teams to create a credible conference.

It's hard to see Delaware and JMU jump out of the CAA in football into I-A to have the honor of playing... Buffalo and Middle Tennessee St. Where's the benefit?

greenG
April 26th, 2005, 12:56 AM
the fourth time I've heard of ODU thinking about adding football in the 25 years I've been aware of the university. In the 80's they had actually sold season tickets to a season that was to start in 2 years time and had to issue refunds when the planned football program was scrapped.

I would like to see ODU enlarge the CAA football slate but I'll wait to see the marching band take the field for the first pre-game show before I'll believe they can pull it off. :boring:

colgate13
April 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I think the CAA, by adding football, is opening itself up down the road for moving to I-A status

That's the ONLY situation I can forsee and it would be a whole conference move that really isn't a move if they ever get rid of the A/AA distinction.

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM
from what I've read JMU would like to make the move eventually... The contractors that have already participated in recent upgrades seem to think that the stadium will be expanded by at least a few thousand seats in 2005 - 2006 and expect a significant increase in future seating capacity. A few thousand seats is a far cry from 40,000, but the JMU administration does appear to have some level of commitment to expansion. I see nothing in the vision statement about I-A, but a 40,000 seat stadium seems really big for I-AA.

Sorry if my post came across as gruff rufus. I still don't see this as anything but posturing by the athletic department to generate excitement about their program (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that). The only tidbit from that JMU link was... "ultimately building for the potential increase in capacity to 40,000 seats"

Ultimately building for the potential.... sounds pretty much like what I said in my post. As for increasing a few thousand seats... when I was at the JMU/UD game this year, it sure looked to me like the end zone seats opposite their new facility were temporary, I was even a little nervous walking under them. It would seem as though they will be replacing them and could be adding seats there. When UD built their new arena next to Delaware Stadium, they increased the end zone seating too. It's not really the stadium expansion that is being mentioned in this string.

I'm not an architect, nor do I play one on TV, but I don't know where JMU could even expand Bridgeforth to 40,000 if they wanted to without tearing down some other buildings. There is a parking garage right behind the home side and a building behind the visitors side. I would have to believe that 40,000 requires an upper deck, and I just don't see anything close to this happening.

JMU2004
April 26th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Im not sure either....the plans call for bowling in the endzone, enlarging both sideline sections, and then double decking both sides.

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM
the plans call for bowling in the endzone, enlarging both sideline sections, and then double decking both sides.

That's what it would take, but can they do it without tearing down those other buildings. The other consideration, perhaps even the bigger one.... where do you park cars for 40,000 fans?! I had to park on the other side of I-81 and take the tunnel. Not a bad walk, but imagine more than double the amount of cars!

mainejeff
April 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM
JMU in the Big East? Don't make me laugh. As long as West Virginia is in it, JMU will not be. I'm not sure that Harrisonburg is high on their media market list either........