PDA

View Full Version : Best FCS Conference for

Mane Man
September 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
I know you guys have probably battled this out before, but i'm trying to figure out what conference would be the best for The University of North Alabama to consider becoming a member. Obviously it would be in the south, and the logical choice would be the OVC, however, the OVC is not a power conference on a national scale. With Samford moving to the SoCon, and more talks about the top tear GSC teams forming their own FCS conference, I'd be very interested in AGS's posters input. The GSC teams included in talk are:

North Alabama, Valdosta State, Delta State, and West Georgia.

This is for input only. I'm a Newbie on the board, and don't want you guys to kick my @zz over this.

Mane

IndianaAppMan
September 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
I know you guys have probably battled this out before, but i'm trying to figure out what conference would be the best for The University of North Alabama to consider becoming a member. Obviously it would be in the south, and the logical choice would be the OVC, however, the OVC is not a power conference on a national scale. With Samford moving to the SoCon, and more talks about the top tear GSC teams forming their own FCS conference, I'd be very interested in AGS's posters input. The GSC teams included in talk are:

This is for input only. I'm a Newbie on the board, and don't want you guys to kick my @zz over this.

Mane

You guys are newbies. If you don't think the OVC is tough enough, you'd be darn likely to change your mind, unless you're another North Dakota State. Besides, with gas prices causing travel costs to grow worse, it would be a great option. The OVC will not continue to lose every year in the playoffs. EKU is still a pretty strong program. Jax State's good as well.

The only way I'd see the SoCon going for N. Alabama would be if someone left, and even then, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, West Georgia, and Valdosta State would make better geographic sense. (I mention Georgia State because I think the travel budge of the relatively far-off CAA will take too much of a toll.)

BearsCountry
September 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
OVC for you guys
Southland for Delta State
Big South for the 2 Georgia schools

Mane Man
September 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
OVC for you guys
Southland for Delta State
Big South for the 2 Georgia schools

I agree that the OVC is the best match for us, but as an overall conference, where would you rank the OVC as opposed to the SLC,BS,SoCon, etc.

JaxSinfonian
September 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I agree that the OVC is the best match for us, but as an overall conference, where would you rank the OVC as opposed to the SLC,BS,SoCon, etc.

UNA fans of course need no introduction to Jax State. Welcome to the board.

RPIs in any given year will vary, but the SoCon is a much stronger football (& baseball) league than the OVC. I don't know of any head-to-heads, but the Southland hasn't done any better in the playoffs than the OVC since Texas State's remarkable 2005 run. The OVC programs, on average, are probably a shade or two ahead of those in the Big South.

The OVC is a solid fit geographically for UNA, even if JSU winds up leaving for FBS. The Lions will compete right away in football, but may need some time in other sports. It shames me to have to point out that UNA beat Jax State in our home opener the same year the Gamecocks blew through the league for the title our first year in the OVC. I would love the chance to see that loss avenged, and to see Jax State play again at Braly, where they won the 1992 DII national title.

I'm so happy to see UNA finally exploring a move up. It has taken too long, but DI is where that school belongs, and it would be a thrill for Jax State fans to have a real rival in our conference again, even if it's only for a couple of years.

A word of caution: learn from our mistakes, and do the move right. Building the appropriate financial support early is key, and so is finding the right conference home. The OVC looks like the best bet.

ERASU2113
September 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM

Mane

Honestly, I was never in favor and still don't like the idea of Samford joining the SoCon. Mainly for traveling costs.

Coastal Carolina, Valdosta State and so on would have been a better fit: costs, competition, etc.

IMO though: in moving up the OVC may be the best option. You may not agree with the competitive level and want to make it into a bigger conference. Perfect thing would be to join OVC stay for a couple of years and see what options come out of it.

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM

I don't know of any head-to-heads, but the Southland hasn't done any better in the playoffs than the OVC since Texas State's remarkable 2005 run.

I'm going to disagree with you there....prior to Jacksonville State joining the OVC, they were a mid to bottom level SLC member. Immediately upon transferring to the OVC, they won back to back titles, something they could never even dream about in the Southland.

The Southland has relatively weak the last couple of years, but there's nothing to suggest that their weakness has dropped them down to a level commensurate with the OVC...

MoreheadEagle
September 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
No offense to Northern Alabama, but I don't want another deep south school joining the OVC. The next OVC member(s) should be Belmont, ETSU, or Lipscomb followed by Northern Kentucky. Now, granted, none of those schools have football but they would help the OVC in other sports, namely the mid-major bread and butter basketball.

The OVC should get down on their knees and beg an A-Sun school or two to join. After JSU leaves them Morehead may return to scholly football or add ETSU. Just for geographic reasons I would like to see the OVC stay primarily in KY and TN. Although I've heard rumors of Western Illinois.

poly51
September 3rd, 2008, 01:17 AM
The Great West may be open to new members. They now have Houston Baptist, University of Texas Pan America, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Utah Valley University, University of North Dakota, University of South Dakota.

Football only-Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah University.

http://greatwestconference.cstv.com

IaaScribe
September 3rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
Well NJIT is west of the Atlantic Ocean, I guess.

Poly Pigskin
September 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
Well NJIT is west of the Atlantic Ocean, I guess.

We should probably just start calling it the Great Western Hemisphere Conference xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mane Man
September 3rd, 2008, 06:55 AM

RPIs in any given year will vary, but the SoCon is a much stronger football (& baseball) league than the OVC. I don't know of any head-to-heads, but the Southland hasn't done any better in the playoffs than the OVC since Texas State's remarkable 2005 run. The OVC programs, on average, are probably a shade or two ahead of those in the Big South.

The OVC is a solid fit geographically for UNA, even if JSU winds up leaving for FBS. The Lions will compete right away in football, but may need some time in other sports. It shames me to have to point out that UNA beat Jax State in our home opener the same year the Gamecocks blew through the league for the title our first year in the OVC. I would love the chance to see that loss avenged, and to see Jax State play again at Braly, where they won the 1992 DII national title.

I'm so happy to see UNA finally exploring a move up. It has taken too long, but DI is where that school belongs, and it would be a thrill for Jax State fans to have a real rival in our conference again, even if it's only for a couple of years.

A word of caution: learn from our mistakes, and do the move right. Building the appropriate financial support early is key, and so is finding the right conference home. The OVC looks like the best bet.

I too miss those old rivalries we had in the "old GSC". I wasn't downing the OVC by any means and do think that is the best fit. Also, I beleive UNA could make an immediate impact in the conference, maybe help strengthen it a bit. I admit that the OVC is stretched out, and travel would be quite expensive, but you make that up at home with your in state rivalries. We average about 10,000 a game right now, with the added rivalries, I see no reason 18,000 per game wouldn't be possible.

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
I'm going to disagree with you there....prior to Jacksonville State joining the OVC, they were a mid to bottom level SLC member. Immediately upon transferring to the OVC, they won back to back titles, something they could never even dream about in the Southland.

The Southland has relatively weak the last couple of years, but there's nothing to suggest that their weakness has dropped them down to a level commensurate with the OVC...

I didn't say they were on a level commensurate with the OVC, whatever that means. I just said they hadn't won any playoff games since 2005, and that there haven't been any head-to-head matchups with which to compare the conferences.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jacksonville State in 2003 and 2004 would have done well in the Southland, had they stayed. That's an easy statement to make, I know, since I don't have to worry about being proved wrong. But the Gamecocks' success in those two years was due more to the culmination of improvements under Jack Crowe than to the conference move. 2003 was his third year as head coach. Look at the margins in JSU's 2002 losses, plus the win over #3 NW St., and it doesn't sound like an unfounded claim. Until the season-ending loss to Georgia Southern, they didn't lose a game by more than 8 points.

Of course all that's ancient history, and pointless to discuss. But I do enjoy imagining it. I have said for years we should schedule out-of-conference dates against our old foes from the SFL. They're solid, well-respected FCS teams that will help our nstrength of schedule and help prepare us for the playoffs. Plus, I'd like to see us finally beat McNeese. :)

No offense to Northern Alabama, but I don't want another deep south school joining the OVC. The next OVC member(s) should be Belmont, ETSU, or Lipscomb followed by Northern Kentucky. Now, granted, none of those schools have football but they would help the OVC in other sports, namely the mid-major bread and butter basketball.

The OVC should get down on their knees and beg an A-Sun school or two to join. After JSU leaves them Morehead may return to scholly football or add ETSU. Just for geographic reasons I would like to see the OVC stay primarily in KY and TN. Although I've heard rumors of Western Illinois.

Don't bank on our FBS move happening. There are a lot of checks that need to be written that nobody has identified the funding for. As for the OVC's expansion possibilities, this league doesn't need another no-football school. Adding UNA, from our perspective, ought to make up for the dreadful addition of SIUE. For what it's worth, UNA is about as close to Tennessee as you can get without being there. They're actually a better geographic fit for the conference than Morehead is.

The A-Sun comment amuses me. We left the A-Sun to join the OVC, and the talk at the time was that we were taking a step up in basketball. Times, and the fortunes of athletic programs, do change quickly.

Mane Man
September 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
I think it's great having all this input, though it's still a work in progress we should be able to generate the funds needed.

BTW, If you guys don't have games this Thursday night, we are playing Carson Newman @ Mossy Creek. It will be televised on CBS College Sports and on Sports South at 8p.m. est. 7 central. It's a battle of #3 UNA and #4 Carson Newman, which should be a slobberknocker.

Mane Man

appfan2008
September 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Just to throw my opinion out there geographically... una should go to ovc

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
I admit that the OVC is stretched out, and travel would be quite expensive, but you make that up at home with your in state rivalries.

Actually, the nucleus of the OVC is pretty compact. UT-Martin, Murray State, Austin Peay, Tennessee State, & even Southeast Missouri all are pretty tightly grouped, and UNA is not far south of Martin & Murray.

It's Morehead, Eastern Illinois and Jax State that stretch things out a little. UNA is great for JSU because it fills in a bit of a gap between us an the western end of the league.

We average about 10,000 a game right now, with the added rivalries, I see no reason 18,000 per game wouldn't be possible.

10,000 is pretty solid, and would rank you among the football attendance leaders in the OVC, right around the same level as JSU. 18,000 per game might be a stretch. That would have ranked #7 in all of FCS last year. I could see a season-ending conference game against Jax State with a title & playoff spot on the line drawing 18,000, but doing that week-in-week-out would be tough.

Regardless, I hope we get the chance to find out. Get that program of yours moved up!

UCABEARS75
September 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
I didn't say they were on a level commensurate with the OVC, whatever that means. I just said they hadn't won any playoff games since 2005, and that there haven't been any head-to-head matchups with which to compare the conferences.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jacksonville State in 2003 and 2004 would have done well in the Southland, had they stayed. That's an easy statement to make, I know, since I don't have to worry about being proved wrong. But the Gamecocks' success in those two years was due more to the culmination of improvements under Jack Crowe than to the conference move. 2003 was his third year as head coach. Look at the margins in JSU's 2002 losses, plus the win over #3 NW St., and it doesn't sound like an unfounded claim. Until the season-ending loss to Georgia Southern, they didn't lose a game by more than 8 points.

Of course all that's ancient history, and pointless to discuss. But I do enjoy imagining it. I have said for years we should schedule out-of-conference dates against our old foes from the SFL. They're solid, well-respected FCS teams that will help our nstrength of schedule and help prepare us for the playoffs. Plus, I'd like to see us finally beat McNeese. :)

Don't bank on our FBS move happening. There are a lot of checks that need to be written that nobody has identified the funding for. As for the OVC's expansion possibilities, this league doesn't need another no-football school. Adding UNA, from our perspective, ought to make up for the dreadful addition of SIUE. For what it's worth, UNA is about as close to Tennessee as you can get without being there. They're actually a better geographic fit for the conference than Morehead is.

The A-Sun comment amuses me. We left the A-Sun to join the OVC, and the talk at the time was that we were taking a step up in basketball. Times, and the fortunes of athletic programs, do change quickly.

There was at least one head-to-head match-up in 2007; we kicked UT-Martins rear and they promptly bailed out on the rest of our scheduled games. As I understand it now Murray St. has stepped up and scheduled us for a two year home and home.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
I don't know enough about UNA's other sports to give an educated opinion of what would be the best fit. I assume you are talking about an all-sport DI conference?

MoreheadEagle
September 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM

Morehead State is a charter member of the conference that once used to actually be in the Ohio Valley. We were in it with EKU, WKU, Louisville, Murray, and IIRC Marshall at one point in time. Adding more deep south schools only makes it harder on the northern schools in travel. Adding another non-football school would keep the football schedule at 9 teams, which is a good number if the league brass would tell TSU they have to play a full OVC slate.

JoshUCA
September 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
As I understand it now Murray St. has stepped up and scheduled us for a two year home and home.

Sounds good!

Bear Fan 101
September 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
UNA could join the Southland for those old GSC rivalries we had with them too, but that would not make geographical sense as others have pointed out. IF Delta St. ever moved up, I believe the SLC would be a nice geographic fit. But these are way hypothetical right now...correct?

Jiggs
September 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Honestly, I was never in favor and still don't like the idea of Samford joining the SoCon. Mainly for traveling costs.

Coastal Carolina, Valdosta State and so on would have been a better fit: costs, competition, etc.

Boone to Birmingham: 7 hours, 35 minutes - 413 miles

Boone to Valdosta: 8 hours, 41 minutes - 501 miles

elcid96
September 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
You will have to prove yourself in the Big South or OVC first before moving up to the SOCON.

elcid96
September 3rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
You will have to prove yourself in the Big South or OVC first before moving up to the SOCON.

TTUEagles
September 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
I grew up going to tons of UNA games, nice city on the river, cool neighborhood stadium and good fan base (for D-II). It would be a great place to travel to on football weekends. To repeat the statements of others, UNA coming to the OVC, immediately makes the OVC better - I think UNA would have easily finished in the top half of the conference, at least. It's only 3 hours from TTU & APSU and 2 hours from TSU. It would rekindle an old GSC rivalry with UT-Martin (and Jax St). Slightly easier road trip for EIU than to Jax. St. I would love to see other football playing institutions and less like the SIUE addition (as mentioned earlier). I did read (St. Louis paper, I believe - I'm still searching for that) that SIUE had a JV football team and is discussing adding football. I'd like to not have to travel to see TTU play b'ball at Belmont and Lipscomb, but, I want to see a better commitment to football by the OVC, not basketball.
And, I also hope that someone will have the guts to tell TSU to play a full conference slate (other than this year) like everyone else.

Purple Pride
September 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
I too miss those old rivalries we had in the "old GSC". I wasn't downing the OVC by any means and do think that is the best fit. Also, I beleive UNA could make an immediate impact in the conference, maybe help strengthen it a bit. I admit that the OVC is stretched out, and travel would be quite expensive, but you make that up at home with your in state rivalries. We average about 10,000 a game right now, with the added rivalries, I see no reason 18,000 per game wouldn't be possible.10,000????? That's for 1 game this year. UNA's average attendance was 8,115/game last year.

Nice stretch though.xthumbsupx

ArrowsATC
September 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
As a UNA alum, and having been a GA for UCA for two years (one of which was the two overtime games with UNA @ UCA) I can't wait to have UNA move up. With Dr. Teague (AD) coming from Delta State, and the past rivalries, I am sure UNA would quickly show up on UCAs non-con schedule.

IndianaAppMan
September 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
In stark contrast to FBS football, where the state of Alabama is clear-cut SEC territory to the core, the state of Alabama is kind of a "no-man's land" when it comes to FCS football territory. Just about any school is a long distance from members of the SoCon, Big South, OVC, and SLC.

That said, the OVC seems like the best fit from a geographical standpoint. If Samford were still there, it would absolutely be OVC territory, just as much as the Carolinas are SoCon territory and the mid-Atlantic is CAA.

IndianaAppMan
September 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
In stark contrast to FBS football, where the state of Alabama is clear-cut SEC territory to the core, the state of Alabama is kind of a "no-man's land" when it comes to FCS football territory. Just about any school is a long distance from members of the SoCon, Big South, OVC, and SLC.

That said, the OVC seems like the best fit from a geographical standpoint. If Samford were still there, it would absolutely be OVC territory, just as much as the Carolinas are SoCon territory and the mid-Atlantic is CAA.

Mane Man
September 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
10,000????? That's for 1 game this year. UNA's average attendance was 8,115/game last year.

Nice stretch though.xthumbsupx

I took a 2 year average purp. Actual attendance at the fisrt game this year was 11,000. Purp.:p

AmsterBison
September 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
I think NDSU's experience was that "Any conference that will take you" is the best. The only caveat to that is that I don't think NDSU would have joined a conference that put their own cap on scholarships - we'd have gone independent before doing that. I can't imagine that UNA is much different.

TonkaBison
September 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
OK, I'm a tard and must have been absent for way too long. If UNA is out of D-II what in the heck is going to happen with the Harlon Hill trophy?

Cocky
September 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
OK, I'm a tard and must have been absent for way too long. If UNA is out of D-II what in the heck is going to happen with the Harlon Hill trophy?

And the National Championship Game in D II?

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2008, 10:44 PM

Really? Samford didn't do that. Why should anyone else?

JaxSinfonian
September 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM

I guess that depends on how you define "long distance." Chattanooga is in our backyard, and Furman's an easy trip. Google Maps tells me the drive time from Greenville to Jacksonville is actually shorter than it is to Statesboro. Not much longer a drive from Boone, either. Of course, Samford's move to the SoCon puts Jax State within the SoCon's footprint.

But your point is well taken. Until Samford joined the SoCon, JSU would have been the -ernmost member of any league it could have joined. We were the easternmost member of the SFL by a long shot. We're the southernmost member of the OVC. We'd be the westernmost Big South member, if we went there.

Cocky
September 4th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Don't bank on our FBS move happening. There are a lot of checks that need to be written that nobody has identified the funding for.

I'm hearing totally opposite on this issue. The story, I'm told, is only one BOT member is against the move at this point.

JaxSinfonian
September 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I'm hearing totally opposite on this issue. The story, I'm told, is only one BOT member is against the move at this point.

Votes in a board meeting are one thing. Money in the bank is another. A conference invite is a whole other ballpark.

Purple Pride
September 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I took a 2 year average purp. Actual attendance at the fisrt game this year was 11,000. Purp.:p
O.K., I see.

2006 10,091
2007 8,115

Ya'll must add a little different at N. Alabama. Is it the extra fingers or the extra toes???

Cocky
September 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Votes in a board meeting are one thing. Money in the bank is another. A conference invite is a whole other ballpark.

Blind folks can't see things. I still bet we attempt the move.