PDA

View Full Version : Fordham-Wagner scrimmage

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/wagner/index.ssf?/base/Sports/1219922107228930.xml&coll=1

Any word on how this went down?

Any chance Wagner will show up on the Rams non-conference schedule in the future?

UAalum72
September 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Wagner won 38-27 but Fordham's first string only played the first quarter, leading 14-0.
Staten Island Advance story (http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/wagner/index.ssf?/base/Sports/122001300924800.xml&coll=1)

Fordham Report:

Bronx, N.Y. - The good news for the Fordham University football squad was that their first string offense was unstoppable in the scrimmage with Wagner, scoring on their first two possessions. The bad news was that those were the only two possessions they played. On a night of reunions, with Fordham head coach Tom Masella squaring off against his alma mater, coached by the man who gave him his first head coaching job, Walt Hameline, it was the teacher who upended the student as the Seahawks defeated the Rams, 38-27, in a scrimmage on Jack Coffey Field.

Fordham junior quarterback John Skelton led the first string offense, completing eight of 11 passes for 139 yards and one score with two of those passes going to his brother, Stephen Skelton, including a 28-yard scoring strike in the first quarter.

The Seahawks took control of the ball first and drove from their own 33 to the Fordham 37 where the drive stalled and Wagner punted the ball to Fordham.

The Rams started their first offensive drive on their own 12 with Skelton completing four of six passes in the drive to put the ball down on the Wagner 16. The big play was a 36-yard gain to Jason Caldwell on third down and 12 from the Fordham 27 that moved the ball to the Wagner 37. On first down from the Wagner 16, Xavier Martin picked up 13 yards to put the ball on three where Quasand Lewis punched it in for a 7-0 Fordham lead midway through the first quarter.

Wagner took the ensuing kickoff and drove from its own 34 to midfield where Matt Loucks forced the Seahawk quarterback Adam Farnsworth to throw an incompletion on third down.

Fordham again took over deep in its own territory following the punt but Skelton drove the Rams 87 yards on eight plays, connecting with his brother, Stephen, with a 28-yard scoring pass with just under two minutes remaining in the period. Skelton completed four of his five passes on the drive, including a 23-yard pass to David Moore that moved the ball from the Fordham 30 to the Wagner 47.

Wagner responded to the second Fordham score with an eight-play, 66-yard drive with Shane Smith covering the final yard to cut the Fordham lead to seven, 14-7, early in the second quarter.

Later in the period, the Seahawks took over on their own 33 and moved to the Fordham nine where Adam Farnsworth connected with Lon Woods on a 14-yard touchdown pass to knot the game at 14 midway through the second.

Late in the first half, Wagner executed a two-minute offense to perfection, moving to the Fordham nine where Farnsworth hooked up with Tyrone Collins on a nine-yard scoring strike with just four seconds left in the half.

The Rams came out and cut the deficit to one on their first possession of the second half with Clayton Busch moving them from the Fordham 30 to the Wagner 12 where he hit Rouglas Odor with a scoring pass on third down.

But Wagner came back to score on its next two possessions, the first a 74-yard scoring run from Prince Young, to take a 35-20 lead with just over five minutes left in the third.

The Seahawks increased the lead to 38-20 on an Eric Ortiz 34-yard field goal just before the end of the third before the Rams completed the scoring with a three-yard scoring pass from Douglas Papy to Zac Dayton late in the fourth.

Seahawks Fan
September 2nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'd love to see us play Fordham in the future. Hopefully an inter-city rivalry can start soon.

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks!

Seems Wagner still needs some work to compete with the top of the PL. Nevertheless, a great meeting by 2 teams with a lot of connections.

I'd still like to see Wagner take on Columbia or Georgetown in a regular season game.

aust42
September 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Interesting, I have never heard of colleges scrimmaging each other.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM

When I was in school back in the Dark Ages and schools played fewer games (eight my freshman year and up to only nine in my senior year), I think scrimmages were more prevalent. UNH used to go to Yale and scrimmage.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
When I was in school back in the Dark Ages and schools played fewer games (eight my freshman year and up to only nine in my senior year), I think scrimmages were more prevalent. UNH used to go to Yale and scrimmage.

Colgate and Pennsylvania would also scrimmage from time to time on a home-and-home basis.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
When I was at Lehigh--ancient history, we scrimmaged every year another school not on the schedule. I remember CW Post, for one back in the early '70s.

danefan
September 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
We scrimmaged Fordham when I was a soph at Albany.

JoltinJoe
September 3rd, 2008, 05:45 AM
The story from the Wagner website:

Football Defeats Fordham in a Spirited Scrimmage (http://wagnerathletics.com/news/2008/8/28/FB_0828081648.aspx?path=football)