PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Sleeper...

TxSt02
October 27th, 2005, 03:16 AM
I will call it right now!

Youngstown State...

They can make the playoffs this year by holding off Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois and if they make the playoffs they WILL make some noise. They have been their a lot before and the understand what it takes to win when you are there. Ill be watching out for them when they make the playoffs. I have been paying little attention the YSU posters but some of them have good points.

Thoughts?

ChickenMan
October 27th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Richmond ... a deep sleeper. Started the season 0-2 with very little offense... but since moving Stacy Tutt back to QB they have gone 4-1 and that one loss was at Vanderbilt. The Siders arer at JMU this week... time to see if they are condenters or pretenders.

bluehenbillk
October 27th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Texas St in my opinion doesn't get much respect, their only loss was a close game against Texas A&M, they may sneak up on people in the playoffs.

Umass74
October 27th, 2005, 07:40 AM
The Richmond Spiders.

They already lead the A10 South at 4-1. They have the head-to-head tiebreaker against Delaware. If they win Saturday's game with JMU, they are in the catbird seat in the A10 South :eek:

tribe_pride
October 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
UMass is the sleeper of the year in my opinion. You rarely hear any of their posters talking up their team and they have quietly gone to a 6-1 record. I think teams will start noticing them if they beat UNH this week. UNH better not overlook UMass.

89Hen
October 27th, 2005, 08:15 AM
UMass is the sleeper of the year in my opinion. You rarely hear any of their posters talking up their team and they have quietly gone to a 6-1 record. I think teams will start noticing them if they beat UNH this week. UNH better not overlook UMass.
:lmao: Classic Pride!

blukeys
October 27th, 2005, 08:33 AM

TOOOOOO Funny!!

ngineer
October 27th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I agree that all of the above noted teams are good 'sleepers' (not the 'perfect sleeper' like Joey Hetherton--really showing my age here :D ), but I would also add to the list any one of the four top PL teams right now. At least one will be in the playoffs, and each has the ability to 'make noise' in the playoffs. Colgate and Lehigh have done so in the past, and I would consider either one of these two to be the top candidates. Colgate seems to have put its puzzle pieces together, and although Lehigh is without Borda at QB, some are already discounting the Mountain Hawks chances because of his absence. This Saturday will show how much of a real 'threatt' Sedale will be going up against a top notch defense. If Lehigh comes through victorious and he grades out at a B or better, then I say, look out. If not, the 'look out next year'. But I still go with LU, 25-22.

GannonFan
October 27th, 2005, 08:37 AM
The Richmond Spiders.

They already lead the A10 South at 4-1. They have the head-to-head tiebreaker against Delaware. If they win Saturday's game with JMU, they are in the catbird seat in the A10 South :eek:

Not that they need me to defend them, but why do people always forget that W&M is currently 3-1 in the conference with a win already over UNH? Heck, if UNH wins this weekend and W&M wins out W&M gets the autobid. Granted they still have to play at Richmond, but there is no real home field advantage at Richmond so that's not a huge deal in and of itself. W&M still gets JMU and UD (don't worry about the tie-breakers with UD - they are not a contender this year even with the win against JMU) at home while Richmond has to go into a hornets nest at JMU. Richmond's hardly in the catbird seat yet.

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Cap'n Cat, after a night of hard partying! :p

ngineer
October 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Cap'n Cat, after a night of hard partying! :p

Good one! Hey, aren't you supposed to be working??? (Me? I'm leaving for Florida in 15 minutes--as usual waiting for the wife to finish re-packing) :D

tribe_pride
October 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Not that they need me to defend them, but why do people always forget that W&M is currently 3-1 in the conference with a win already over UNH? Heck, if UNH wins this weekend and W&M wins out W&M gets the autobid. Granted they still have to play at Richmond, but there is no real home field advantage at Richmond so that's not a huge deal in and of itself. W&M still gets JMU and UD (don't worry about the tie-breakers with UD - they are not a contender this year even with the win against JMU) at home while Richmond has to go into a hornets nest at JMU. Richmond's hardly in the catbird seat yet.

Shh...keep the stuff about W&M quiet. It worked somewhat last year. It's still a tough schedule ahead with UD, JMU, at Nova and at Richmond left. 2-2 technically could get us in but really need to go 3-1 in those 4 games to get to the playoffs with an 8-3 record.

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Good one! Hey, aren't you supposed to be working??? (Me? I'm leaving for Florida in 15 minutes--as usual waiting for the wife to finish re-packing) :D

I can't tell you how many billable hours I've wasted, er, spent on this board! Gotta take advantage of every little break from the practice of law. :p

Uh, oh: new case! Have a good trip, ngineer. Hope you can get gas! ;)

blukeys
October 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I agree that all of the above noted teams are good 'sleepers' (not the 'perfect sleeper' like Joey Hetherton--really showing my age here :D ),

Ah yes Joey!!

I'll show my age too. What was Lance Rentzel thinking?

ngineer
October 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Ah yes Joey!!

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

ngineer
October 27th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I can't tell you how many billable hours I've wasted, er, spent on this board! Gotta take advantage of every little break from the practice of law. :p

Uh, oh: new case! Have a good trip, ngineer. Hope you can get gas! ;)

Shouldn't be a problem around Orlando where we'll be most of the time. Plus I had chili last night.... ;)

TypicalTribe
October 27th, 2005, 09:50 AM
To bring some legitimate sleepers into the discussion, I'll go with Portland State and Illinois State. Illinois State has an easy road left and could sneak into the top 10 of the GPI prior to the playoffs. Portland State would gain the inside track to the BSC title if they can pull off a win against the Griz this weekend.

GannonFan
October 27th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Shh...keep the stuff about W&M quiet. It worked somewhat last year. It's still a tough schedule ahead with UD, JMU, at Nova and at Richmond left. 2-2 technically could get us in but really need to go 3-1 in those 4 games to get to the playoffs with an 8-3 record.

I agree, going 7-4 with 3 IAA losses and Liberty and VMI as part of the OOC schedule would leave W&M in front of their tv's come playoff time - hey, we'll save ya some room on our couch!

bandl
October 27th, 2005, 10:11 AM
UMass is the sleeper of the year in my opinion. You rarely hear any of their posters talking up their team and they have quietly gone to a 6-1 record.

HAHAHAHAH!!!! I just bust my ribs laughing at that...."rarely hear from any of their posters"..."quietly gone to a 6-1 record". Good one!!!!

xlolx

madjohnw
October 27th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Without a doubt, the team that no one will want in the playoffs is Illinois State. The Redbirds are on fire, and if they get some help in the GFC, will be there.

GannonFan
October 27th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Without a doubt, the team that no one will want in the playoffs is Illinois State. The Redbirds are on fire, and if they get some help in the GFC, will be there.

Not to knock the GFC too much, but that moniker has been used over the past couple of years for hot teams coming out of the GFC and each time a first round exit for that team has been the outcome. Let's hope Ill St, if they make it, also makes us forget the past few years of GFC playoff woes.

foghorn
October 27th, 2005, 10:36 AM
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

If I recall, Rentzel EXPOSED his lance! :D

foghorn
October 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Ah yes Joey!!

If I recall, didn't Rentzel EXPOSE his Lance? :D

skinny_uncle
October 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Youngstown State...

They can make the playoffs this year by holding off Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois and if they make the playoffs they WILL make some noise. They have been their a lot before and the understand what it takes to win when you are there. Ill be watching out for them when they make the playoffs. I have been paying little attention the YSU posters but some of them have good points.

Thoughts?
I think the Salukis might have something to say about that.
:D
YSU posters have been a bit noisy for sleepers, don't you think?

skinny_uncle
October 28th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Not to knock the GFC too much, but that moniker has been used over the past couple of years for hot teams coming out of the GFC and each time a first round exit for that team has been the outcome. Let's hope Ill St, if they make it, also makes us forget the past few years of GFC playoff woes.
Couple of years, maybe.
Few years, no.
WKU won the 2002 national title, as I recall, without even winning the GFC.
In 2003, Western Illinois beat Montana in the opening round before losing by 1 to eventual runner-up Colgate in the second round.
The GFC is 8-7 over the last 4 years in the playoffs.

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Would anyone here consider App St a sleeper? I mean they are still ranked 12th in the other 2 polls

TypicalTribe
October 28th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Would anyone here consider App St a sleeper? I mean they are still ranked 12th in the other 2 polls

Teams that aren't sleepers right now:

YSU
WKU
SIU
UNH
UMass
Texas St.
Furman
Appy St.
Montana

Other than that, it's up for grabs.

grizband
October 28th, 2005, 10:26 AM

YSU
WKU
SIU
UNH
UMass
Texas St.
Furman
Appy St.
Montana

Unfortunately, its hard for Montana to be a sleeper. Even in what seem to be down years, there is always an outside chance that something similar to what happened in 2004 will occur.

wkuhillhound
October 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Western Kentucky would be the exception in 2002. :D

Sorry I didn't the previous poster about WKU oops :p

UNHknowledge
October 28th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I would go with UC-Davis if they were playoff eligible because Poly is very beatable w/o their QB and I think their D is capable of containing Meyer and Kimble from EWU. But I'm gonna go with Portland St. out west, I think they're gonna ride into the playoffs on Joe Rubin's back.

Retro
October 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Montana State.. I think they win out and go to the Champ game.. Lulay should begin to step it up.

GOKATS
October 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Montana State.. I think they win out and go to the Champ game.. Lulay should begin to step it up.

Thanks, Retro! Hope you're right, but the Big Sky is really up in the air right now (no pun intended).

JALMOND
October 28th, 2005, 09:26 PM
If Montana State makes it, they would be a good sleeper pick. Regardless of the score, the Bobcats are not out of it, not with Lulay in there. The only way we (Portland State) beat them was we made sure we had the ball last (and even that is pretty tough).

Tod
October 29th, 2005, 12:42 AM
If Montana State makes it, they would be a good sleeper pick. Regardless of the score, the Bobcats are not out of it, not with Lulay in there. The only way we (Portland State) beat them was we made sure we had the ball last (and even that is pretty tough).

What a game that was! I see MSU and PSU as about equals, PSU getting the win with home field advantage (just because it was that close). Tomorrow's game at Montana is scaring the hell out of me. Go Griz!! But...if we don't win...I hope to see at least two Big Sky teams make good showings in the playoffs. I hope the Griz are on of them, but the 'Sky is deep this year. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Sleeper for the playoffs: Eastern Illinois.

kats89
October 29th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Texas St in my opinion doesn't get much respect, their only loss was a close game against Texas A&M, they may sneak up on people in the playoffs.

How can you be a sleeper when you are ranked in the top 10. They are getting plenty of repect.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Youngstown State...

Thoughts?

While I'm certainly not discounting YSU's playoff chances, saying they've been there before is actually a falsehood. Yes, the school has been there, but the current players and coaching staff have not. Will that make a difference? Who knows.

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM

YSU
WKU
SIU
UNH
UMass
Texas St.
Furman
Appy St.
Montana

SIU not a sleeper any more. They apparently woke up on Thursday night.
:D