PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire at Army Official Game Thread

UNHWildCats
September 2nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
The Wildcats of New Hampshire travel to West Point looking for their fourth consecutive victory against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents.

More to come as the week progresses.

Hoyadestroya85
September 2nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
army may finish the season with no wins.. they looked terrible last week against a team that would make a good but not great FCS team

ChickenMan
September 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
After seeing Army's performance last week.. I'd say there are probably at least five or six better teams in the CAA.

I expect that UNH is one of them.

WrenFGun
September 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Here is hoping we don't pull a James Madison on this one. I think we're about even chance to win, and it helps that it's not the home opener, so I hope we can pull it out.

KAUMASS
September 2nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Army played a good Temple team. Sounds like an oxy-moron, but Temple has a decent team this year. They won some games last year, and got screwed by a blown call against UConn last year that would have given them another win. This is not the same Temple team that Villanova used to beat up on.

Temple beat Army 35-7 last week.
Army rushed for 223 yards in this game and controlled the clock. They had 2 turnovers that lead to Temple touchdowns, but if you take those two touchdowns away, they still beat them solidly 21-7. Temple got 166 yards passing, but didn't have the ball much.

I see a good game here, but I have some question marks for New Hampshire this year, like most folks. Weather could also be a factor here, heavy rain will favor Army.

Go get'm UNH!!!.

aust42
September 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
After declaring JMU was the "lock of the year" over Duke I should keep my mouth shut. But with New Hampshires recent history of beating 1A foes (Marshall, Northwestern and Rutgers), I don't see Army giving them much trouble.

citdog
September 2nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
I GIVE EVEN ODDS ON LYLES RUNNING HIS 'BUNDLE OF STICKS" MOUTH AT HUDSON HIGH AND SOMEONE THERE KNOCKING HIS TEETH DOWN HIS THROAT........ONE CAN ALWAYS HOPE

elcid96
September 2nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
I fell victim to thinking that JMU would beat Duke, but the FCS really needs a win right now and this game is our best chance.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Army played a good Temple team. Sounds like an oxy-moron, but Temple has a decent team this year. They won some games last year, and got screwed by a blown call against UConn last year that would have given them another win. This is not the same Temple team that Villanova used to beat up on.

Temple beat Army 35-7 last week.
Army rushed for 223 yards in this game and controlled the clock. They had 2 turnovers that lead to Temple touchdowns, but if you take those two touchdowns away, they still beat them solidly 21-7. Temple got 166 yards passing, but didn't have the ball much.

I see a good game here, but I have some question marks for New Hampshire this year, like most folks. Weather could also be a factor here, heavy rain will favor Army.

Go get'm UNH!!!.

The schedule will answer one of those question marks quickly! As you notice not one UNH poster is on here guaranteeing a Wildcat victory, even the one with a history of running off at the mouth! :p xlolx That's because we all know what Northeastern did to us last year on a poor weather day. They ran it down our throats and controlled the clock. UNH can't allow Army (or Albany) to do that. After week three we should have an idea of how much UNH has improved its run defense.

With all the rain that New England has had this Summer, the last thing we need is Hanna dumping 12+ inches of rain on us. But if it has to happen, please wait until Sunday afternoon!!! I'm so looking forward to watching the cadets parade at 10:00 AM, the pre-game function, the game, hanging out with multiple friends, touring West Point on Sunday morning, etc.

UNHWildCats
September 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
The schedule will answer one of those question marks quickly! As you notice not one UNH poster is on here guaranteeing a Wildcat victory, even the one with a history of running off at the mouth! :p xlolx That's because we all know what Northeastern did to us last year on a poor weather day. They ran it down our throats and controlled the clock. UNH can't allow Army (or Albany) to do that. After week three we should have an idea of how much UNH has improved its run defense.

With all the rain that New England has had this Summer, the last thing we need is Hanna dumping 12+ inches of rain on us. But if it has to happen, please wait until Sunday afternoon!!! I'm so looking forward to watching the cadets parade at 10:00 AM, the pre-game function, the game, hanging out with multiple friends, touring West Point on Sunday morning, etc.
If Santos was QB or if I had a season's worth of Toman to use in judgement I might have guaranteed a win, I think Toman will be a very very good QB, I just have nothing to back it up with...yet.

WildCat In The Hat
September 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
A clock controlling running game vs our D-yeah I'm a little nervous. Ease my mind with a couple of quick scores, a la Santos era.

KAUMASS
September 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM

Speaking of Albany, watch out. They have some players. I'm not so sure on their depth, but their first team kids can play. They have a huge all conference tackle that they like to run behind, NaGuiti or something like that. He's about 6'7", 340. There tailback I would compare to Rocky Blier or Mark Van Eeghan. Tough runner and they utilize him on passing plays as well.

Good luck against Army. I hope the rain holds off as well, as it gives you guys a better chance with your passing game. (although now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind having Kackert on our team..)

Do you guys have a bigger back that can run between the tackles this year in case of rain? Kackert seems to be more of an off tackle back..

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Speaking of Albany, watch out. They have some players. I'm not so sure on their depth, but their first team kids can play. They have a huge all conference tackle that they like to run behind, NaGuiti or something like that. He's about 6'7", 340. There tailback I would compare to Rocky Blier or Mark Van Eeghan. Tough runner and they utilize him on passing plays as well.

Good luck against Army. I hope the rain holds off as well, as it gives you guys a better chance with your passing game. (although now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind having Kackert on our team..)

Do you guys have a bigger back that can run between the tackles this year in case of rain? Kackert seems to be more of an off tackle back..

Robert Simpson at 6'1" 200 out of Brockton, MA is our "big" back this year as Chris Ward has graduated. And yes Kackert is more of an outside runner, a speed guy. Sean Jellison, 5'10" 210, had a very good spring and did run well inside, but he's more of a "shifty" runner than a power runner IMO. He was very impressive in the Spring Game with how he read the holes and made cuts and jukes to avoid defenders.

Also been hearing some good things about true frosh Ken Howard, also 5'10 210, but I'm not sure if he'll be redshirted or not. Also in the RB mix is Kaysonne Anderson, a highly regarded RB who has had a tough luck career at UNH between knee injuries and bouncing back and forth between RB and DB.

Four of the five starters on the OL plus the TE are all returning starters. Unfortunately, the one new guy on the OL is the center after having a three year starter graduate. Running the ball better this year is another of the team's goals for improvement. Most of us are hoping that this veteran line will allow Toman to have the luxury of just making the plays that are needed and to not force him to try to be the second coming of Houdini, if you catch my drift.

WrenFGun
September 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
I would expect Howard to redshirt. While the coaches seem to like him, I don't think he's going to get many carries this year and he looked slow to the hole in the scrimmage, with what little I saw. Probably needs a year to figure things out.

IMO, Joey Orlando has a much better chance of being a significant contributor, though the WR depth is crazy. As I mentioned on the UNH board, I really hope the staff can utilize the speed of #11 Mickey Mangieri. He was running away from people. #16 Mike Green's lankiness wouldn't hurt, either. I swear he looks like Ball running.

It looks like everyone but TJ Taylor is a virtual lock to play in this game, so UNH should be full strength. They'll play a lot of bodies on the line (Ruhl, Jenkins, Maroney, Peters, Murray, McNally, Long, Steele and Young could all play on the line, even without Taylor) so hopefully they won't get worn down.

LCFan21
September 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
I was at the Army Temple game last week. Army's offense is HORRIBLE....they went back to the wishbone/ option offense with a QB who can't run it......they run the FB up the middle A LOT....A LOT!!! Stack the box and make the QB win the game with his arm.....which BTW is not very accurate. If UNH plays good run D they should win this game easily. I have not seen a college offense that bad in a long time!

UNHWildCats
September 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
DURHAM – R.J. is on to replace Ricky.

The defense has been up-sized and, the folks around the University of New Hampshire football program think, shored up. They hope, once again, that a big and veteran offensive line will power the way to an improved running game.

Even the schedule appears to set up nicely.

And the motivation and hunger do not seem to have lessened a bit around the Wildcats.

Junior running back Chad Kackert was asked the other day if there was a sense of unfinished business about the team: "Absolutely," he said quickly. "There're no rings on our fingers yet.E2 This has been a run of unprecedented football success at UNH."

No Colonial Athletic Association team had been to the NCAA playoffs three times in a row when UNH did that in 2006. Last year, the Wildcats made it four straight appearances in the Football Championship Subdivision tournament.

The Drive for Five begins tomorrow with a 1 p.m. game at Army.

Much was accomplished during the reign of Ricky Santos and David Ball and Corey Graham and the rest.

This group, with sophomore R.J. Toman starting at quarterback, hopes to accomplish at least as much.

"I have a good feeling about this team as a whole," Kackert said. "We've been practicing real hard, practicing with a purpose. It's not just getting through every day. We have our goals and we've got our eyes on those, instead of, 'It's just another day of three hours of football.' There's a little more motivation there."

Three straight seasons ended with a loss in the quarterfinals after a win in the first round of the playoffs and then last year ended with a first-round loss at No. 1-ranked Northern Iowa. Kackert scored on a 15-yard run with 1:16 left to play, but UNH could not hold the lead and fell 38-35.

The Wildcats gave up 256 rushing yards that day. They gave up 187.7 rushing yards a game during the season, which was next to last in the 12-team CAA. And they allowed 443 total yards a game, which was last.

Those numbers must improve.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=%27Cats+hungry+for+more&articleId=eb2aa338-4586-459a-bbd2-264f822f2baa

art vandelay
September 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
hey does anyone know a if this game will be on the internet? i know its on ESPN clasic but i dont get that station and im on the west coast so i doubt the bars will open at 9 o'clock.

UNHWildCats
September 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM
hey does anyone know a if this game will be on the internet? i know its on ESPN clasic but i dont get that station and im on the west coast so i doubt the bars will open at 9 o'clock.
I havent looked yet but I assume Yahoo still has free audio for them and I might come across a ESPN Classic stream in the morning.

UNHWildCats
September 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
If your a member of the armed forces you can access Army home games via AKO

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1571014

Cobblestone
September 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM

I hope you get a chance to do all of that. I did last year when we made our trip up there. Easliy the best trip on college football.

Enjoy!

Cobblestone
September 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
If your a member of the armed forces you can access Army home games via AKO
http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1571014

Good call. But you have to be an Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retiree or Department of the Army civilian employee to obtain an AKO (Army Knowledge Online) account. To my knowledge other branches are only eligible for their own Knowledge Online sites.

Cobblestone
September 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I GIVE EVEN ODDS ON LYLES RUNNING HIS 'BUNDLE OF STICKS" MOUTH AT HUDSON HIGH AND SOMEONE THERE KNOCKING HIS TEETH DOWN HIS THROAT........ONE CAN ALWAYS HOPE

Did the Citadel ever play Army? What was the final score?

West Point commission vs. Citadel commission??...PLEASE!

UNHWildCats
September 5th, 2008, 07:15 PM
i wasnt sure the Army site said Department of Defense so I assumed it crossed all branches of the military.

UNHWildCats
September 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM
i initially thought the rain might hold off til after the game, but my friend in NC said the rain started there around noon today and looking at where the eye was at 5PM I think the rain will start well before the end of the game tomorrow.

Go...gate
September 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I think you guys can beat Army. Good luck.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I know this is late and I know the weather forecast is lousy, but I have a ticket available for the game. (My nephew was going to come along with me, but he had to work.) I think a few AGS'ers aren't too far from West Point. (Danefan, Go..Gate, Valley Raider, UAalum72??????) Should have time to get to Marist or Fordham for their 6:00 kickoffs! ;) PM me if you're interested.

I just got into the hotel in Newburgh. Didn't think of posting something on AGS until I was driving. xoopsx

I'll be online for awhile then will check again in the morning. I'm planning to be there for the Cadets Parade at 10:00.

Got the LL Bean waterproof hiking boots and the gore-tex rain suit ready to go!!

aust42
September 5th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Did the Citadel ever play Army? What was the final score?

West Point commission vs. Citadel commission??...PLEASE!

The Citadel is 2-7 lifetime against Army.

1934 Army 34 Citadel 0
1941 Army 19 Citadel 6
1951 Army 27 Citadel 6
1964 Army 34 Citadel 0
1968 Army 34 Citadel 14
1987 Army 48 Citadel 6
1991 Citadel 20 Army 14
1992 Citadel 15 Army 14
1994 Army 25 Citadel 24

grayghost06
September 6th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Here is hoping we don't pull a James Madison on this one. I think we're about even chance to win, and it helps that it's not the home opener, so I hope we can pull it out.

If that wasn't so true, I'd be offended xoopsx ...Good luck against Army, but you guys have already proven you go into your winnable I-A games playing to win.

UNHFootballAlum
September 6th, 2008, 02:43 AM
The game should also be on ESPN 360. You have to sign up and pay a fee to see it, but it should be on

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I got UNH down for a solid win today, Army is just bad

go CAA

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Army wins the coin toss.

Army will receive.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
This is the third meeting betwen the two teams, each won a game in the 1920's.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Army take the kick at the 3 and returns it to the 42

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Army rushes to the 46 for 4 yards.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Army runs for no gain.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
3rd and 6 coming up

Army runs out of bounds near the first down, flag on the play

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
UNH was offsides. 3rd and 1 now.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Rain begins to fall.

Army picks up a first down.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
No gain for Army, Flags down.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Offsides UNH, also a penalty on Army they offset.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Gain down to the 45 for a 3 yard gain.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Army down to the 43 for a couple yards. 3rd and about 5.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
About 5 yards on the run. just shy of a first down 4th and inches

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Just gets the first down.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Rain is coming down hard.

2nd and 8 at the 35

pass complete to the 32.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM
3rd and 4 at the 32

Army Qb takes the ball and runs for a loss

4th and 6 at the 34 Army to punt

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Punt goes out of bounds at the 1.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
UNH run defense did pretty well there.

10 rush plays for 19 yards.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
1st and 10 at the 1

Toman hands to Simpson to the 15 yard line.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Toman passes to the left, incomplete

2nd and 10

Toman complete to Kackert out to the 28 1st down.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Kackert runs to the 31.

2nd and 7 for UNH.

SG hands to Kackert out to the 36

3rd and 2.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM
SG Toman incomplete.

UNH to punt

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Army gets a TD and UNH returns the kickoff for a TD 7-7

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
UNH recovers a fumble.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Army has run the ball 20 times for 47 yards. So the UNH run defense is doing good.

Unfortunatly Army is 7-7 passing for 95 yards.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
on 4th and 2 Kackert runs for 5 yards 1st down at the 27

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
TOUCHDOWN KACKERT 24 yard RUN

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
14-7 UNH 8:35 remaining 2nd Qtr

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
GO CATS!

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
UNH gets the ball back at their 12

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Army intercepts a long pass.

He had two guys open on the left and went for the long pass

Flag on play

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
facemask on UNH Army has the ball on UNHs 40

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Army fumbles, UNH recovers.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Sicko catches a pass for a 1st down and then fumbles. Army recovers fumble.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
On 3 and 7 Army QB falls and takes a 8 yard sack Army punts

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Army hits a 42 yard FG 14-10 UNH 20 seconds remaining

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
TOUCHDOWN MIKE BOYLE

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
21-10 UNH

grizband
September 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
New Hampshire leads Army 21-10!

HensRock
September 6th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Way to go CAA !!!!

MaximumBobcat
September 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
WTG!

UNH_BLUE
September 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
5:55 left to go in 3rd.

Go Blue!!

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Army punts

UNHFootballAlum
September 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
UNH needs to keep running the football. The O-Line is doing a great job of blocking

GannonFan
September 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Now Army isn't very good at all, but this is a good sign for UNH - I had them pegged as the best team in the CAA North and so far so good.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Now Army isn't very good at all, but this is a good sign for UNH - I had them pegged as the best team in the CAA North and so far so good.
The run defense is doing very good. 126 yards allowed on 38 rushes.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
TOUCHDOWN UNH

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Fumble recovery for a TD UNH!

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hugo Souza returns a fumble for 20 yards.

Play is under review.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM
play stands TOUCHDOWN UNH

dwtime
Ruling on field confirmed, TD!

UNHFootballAlum
TD! Souza

UNHWildCats
28-10 UNH with :50 remaining 3rd Qtr

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
28-10 UNH

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
end of the 3rd period, 3rd down and 1 for Army

LehighFan11
September 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Dam army is terrible. They might not win a game this year.

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
1st down for Army on the UNH 48

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
3rd and about 7 for Army

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
SACK for Souza!!!

UNHWildCats
Army punts again

dwtime
UNH now with the ball at the 20 1st and 10

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Jellison runs for 18 yards on 1st down

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
18 yard run for Sean Jellison for his first carry of the season

UNH_BLUE
September 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Nice 1st run of the year for Jellison.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Toman completes to Sicko

GeauxColonels
Things are looking really good for the Wildcats.

UNHWildCats
3rd and 1

Jellsion gets the 1st down

dwtime
Jellison with the first down at Army's 49

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Jellison down to the 29

a 20 yard gain

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Jellison down to he 29, this kid is good

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
UMass Holy Cross tied 35-35, where is the UMass D?

mainejeff
September 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have been very impressed with UNH today.......they look very good! I think that this is BY FAR the most impressive performance by a CAA team so far this season. WOW.

UNH_BLUE
September 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Let's ice it on this drive and get some of our subs in there.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Jellsion for 8 yards

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
2nd and 2

Simpson for close to 2 yards

just gets the 1st

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Simpson for a first down at the 19

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Kackert back in

Kackert picks up a couple and heads out of bounds.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Kackert for no gain

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
3rd and 7

Jellison back in

Jellison loses a couple

FG attempt

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Bishop with a 35 yd attempt

No Good wide right.

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
UNH missed the FG try, Army now with the ball

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
6:13 left in the game 28-10 UNH

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Army 1st down on the 49 yd line

UNH_BLUE
September 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Army has a 256 lb fullback in the game? Did I hear that right?

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
4th down and 5 for Army

UNHWildCats
UNH takes over on downs.

dwtime
incomplete, UNH takes over on offense with 3:38 left

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM
And the rain starts coming down.

UNHWildCats
Jellison big gain

dwtime
Jellsion with another big run

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM
4th and 3 for UNH

dwtime
September 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
great win for UNH 4 FBS wins in a row

mainejeff
September 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Amazing. xthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
UNH recovers fumble

dwtime
Army fumbles, UNH recovers.

Great win for UNH

UNH_BLUE

You bet! It always makes my weekend when UNH wins, especially against an FBS opponent.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
the D played very well today as did the running game. Aside from that INt Toman was pretty decent

UNH_BLUE
September 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Time to celebrate boys! Take care everyone!