PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on BYU two days later

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Our game at BYU started off with some tailgating. There isn't much of it going on there, and no one was drinking, but we got invited to tailgate with 4-5 BYU families. They were very friendly and fed us well.

Next we walked up to the staidum and took a look around the outside. It's a pretty cool stadium. You can see some pics of it in my pics thread.

Inside the stadium there was a larger than expected UNI group. 300 maybe? When watching the replay I couldn't believe how loud it got when our QB pulled off a 70 yd run.

The BYU fans were great before the game even started. Very friendly. A couple younger kids did stupid stuff(walking across the front of our section popping their shirt towards the end of the game, going to the front of our section and taking pics of our QB laying on the ground injured).

The BYU band was awesome. They even played our fight song during the pregame(very slowly).

The BYU cheer squad did a lot of things I've never seen before. They had a lot of guys and did all kids of crazy tosses.

Nice staidum. Love the view of the mountains behind the stadium.

The PA Announcer called #1 Corey Lewis, Carlos Anderson (who is #7) for the entire first quarter.

The scoreboard was wrong through most of the game. A guy would run for 4 yards on first down and they'd do it wrong and it would show as 2nd and 14.

Now to the game:

UNI came out rough. They'd do well on 1st and 2nd down and then end up just short on 3rd down. Lots of issues with the new clock.

I thought our defense did well considering what they were up against. They tackled very well. One of our DB's even knocked out one of their WRs with a hard hit.

Patrick Grace will be a great QB for the next 2 years. He looked good when he wasn't laying on the ground knocked out. The Panthers have a good shot at the championship the next 2 years with him at the helm.

Our backup redshirt freshman Zach Davis also performed well. If called upon, he is ready.

Our defense got killed all day while in a zone defense. That was the difference in the game. Their TE #32 smoked us. He was tall and would run the seams.

I thought we handled the running game pretty well.

Offensive ups:
60 or so yard WR reverse pass for a TD.
Patrick Grace 70 yard run

Defensive ups:
creating pressure in the endzone, forcing a fumble for a TD
solid tackling. wrapping guys up.
hard hitting.

APPALACHIANstate
September 1st, 2008, 06:53 PM
Sounds like it was an overall good experience for you, I know you sounded excited in that chat the other night.

:)

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
I was going nuts. Football season will be over too soon.

I Bleed Purple
September 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
The cheerleaders have to be tough. They and Utah cheerleaders are notorious for fighting one another.

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM
The cheerleaders have to be tough. They and Utah cheerleaders are notorious for fighting one another.

Awesome!

APPALACHIANstate
September 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM
<--Looks up tickets for Utah/BYU

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM

Good luck on that one. Utah doesn't ussually sell out their games (close, but not sold out) but this one will be sell out if it isn't already. I think it ranks up there as far as rivalries that I have seen first hand. UM/MSU is a good one, but I think the Utah/BYU fans may hate each other even worse lol

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM

Did yuo see the game in Provo a few years back where an idiot fan took the U flag from the cheerleader? He pounded that stupid fan, was hilarious, but not really justified. I'd watch it again though hehe :-)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM
I think UNI left with some new found respect form their opponent. I hope BYU keeps scheduling 1AA/FCS teams so I can keep watching teams I don't always get to see in person. I got to watch Eastern Washington last year, UNI this year, maybe the Griz can schedule one next year :-)

Glad to hear everyone had a good time and traveled home safely. Come again and I don't mind if you win, I'm a Griz fan :D

I Bleed Purple
September 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM

It's called the Holy War. With games decided in the last play the last two years, that ramps up the rivalry more. When Urban Meyer was at Utah, he'd refer to BYU as the "team down south."

Great stuff.