GrizSweeper
October 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I'll keep it simple, who wins the national title and why

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM
YOUNGSTOWN STATE!......BECAUSE....JES'...BECAUSE!....BRAWK! :nod:

Redbird Fan 21
October 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I know nothing about any other Conference than the Gateway but if ISU plays like they do the last two games, they will not be beaten. Easier said than done I know, but we are on a rolllllllllllllll

Retro
October 26th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Mcneese State, because we deserve it as we have suffered more than any team this season... Of course Mcneese has to win the remaining conference games to make the playoffs with 2 less games not being played.

UNHknowledge
October 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I do love this post even though its early...neat to see where everyone's head is in week 8. I'm def going with my Wildcats from UNH. If for some reason the Wildcat Express is derailed my pick is definitly Appy St. They are the closest thing to UNH. Although I pick Appy St I won't actually ever root for them, if UNH loses I'm going for whatever A10 team is left. Yes...even if it's UMass.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2005, 07:49 PM
DITTO!..............BRAWK!

WASN'T THINKIN' CLEARLY......AH'M CHANGIN' TA NEW HAMPSHIRE......A-10..GOTTA STICK TA-GETTER!........:nod:.......BRAWK!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Georgia Southern!!! If not us, then I'll go with Appalachian State or Texas State. And like the UNH guy said, I'll be pulling for Socon teams to win, unless of course they are playing Georgia Southern or are in a position where they would play Georgia Southern if they win. Should be an exciting playoff. This is exactly why IAA is 100 times better than IA, PLAYOFFS.

FightinBluHen51
October 26th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I'll let ya know after this weekend and after I watch WKU and SIU tomorrow night.

Cocky
October 26th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Jacksonville State because I like them.

elkmcc
October 26th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Montana, simply because they didn't win it all last year. Montana made back to back appearances in '95 & '96, and again in 2000 & 2001. The Griz were brides maids in '96 and 2000. 2005 would make another back to back appearance and since they lost in the chipper last year they are due. How is that for Griz logic?

Tod
October 26th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Montana, simply because they didn't win it all last year. Montana made back to back appearances in '95 & '96, and again in 2000 & 2001. The Griz were brides maids in '96 and 2000. 2005 would make another back to back appearance and since they lost in the chipper last year they are due. How is that for Griz logic?

Iffy...But I've been thinking the same thing. :D :D :D

89Hen
October 26th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Hampton, just to get Ralph's ire up. :p

JMU Duke Dog
October 26th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Did they ever play the same team that they faced in the other year of the back to back appearances?

SeattleGriz
October 26th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Did they ever play the same team that they faced in the other year of the back to back appearances?

Yes. The 95 team beat Marshall at Marshall for the 1st championship, then lost to Marshall at Marshall for the 96 season. Of course Marshall had Randy Moss that year. 96 was really cool though since it was the first time two 14-0 teams met for the title.

TxSt02
October 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Texas State Bobcats... we have the spirit of Jim Wacker this year...

I would love to play either App State or Montana in the title game...

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I have a better question... chances are both JMU and Montana could miss the playoffs all together... when was the last time the NC and runner up didnt even make the playoffs?

GrizRick
October 26th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I have a better question... chances are both JMU and Montana could miss the playoffs all together... when was the last time the NC and runner up didnt even make the playoffs?

I reject the premise.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I reject the premise.
Still got Portland St and Montana st to end the season... could very well both be losses.

FlyYtown
October 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Well I will get off the bias train now and say Youngstown State should be able to make it and go deep into the playoffs but they have had too many close calls I can't see them being a favorite to win it all; of course if things go there way they definately can but when you are asking 14 other teams to help you out; you won't win it.

As of now Western Kentucky is loaded in every aspect of the game; sure they got 3 big one's coming up and we shall see; as will we see of YSU; how good they are.

WKU will play at Youngstown in what is expected to be a massive crowd for the final game; if its for the GFC Title you should see 21,000 in the seats and probably in the snow. The Ice Castle EFFECT.

anyways WKU is the best team in the land and I also like McNeese and Illinois State but again they already have 2 conference losses making it hard to get in.

Toppermaniac
October 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Well I will get off the bias train now and say Youngstown State should be able to make it and go deep into the playoffs but they have had too many close calls I can't see them being a favorite to win it all; of course if things go there way they definately can but when you are asking 14 other teams to help you out; you won't win it.

As of now Western Kentucky is loaded in every aspect of the game; sure they got 3 big one's coming up and we shall see; as will we see of YSU; how good they are.

WKU will play at Youngstown in what is expected to be a massive crowd for the final game; if its for the GFC Title you should see 21,000 in the seats and probably in the snow. The Ice Castle EFFECT.

anyways WKU is the best team in the land and I also like McNeese and Illinois State but again they already have 2 conference losses making it hard to get in.

How many does the Icecastle hold? If myself and a few others decide to make the trip to Youngstown, will we be able to buy tickets the day of the game?

McNeese75
October 26th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Texas State Bobcats... we have the spirit of Jim Wacker this year...

I would love to play either App State or Montana in the title game...

Not sure what a Jim Wacker is :D (I'm kidding), BUT, if you advance more than likely you would see the Griz before the finals based on past SLC playoff team experiences.

Tribe4SF
October 26th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Alrighty....a real homer thread!!! :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

Jake Phillips and the Tribe take Chatty by storm!!! xprost2x

If not, I pull for the A-10 and Hampton.

Eagle22
October 26th, 2005, 11:47 PM

If I'm not mistaken, that would probably be 1995 .... 1994 title was won by YSU over Boise State ... and neither were in the playoffs in '95.

If I'm wrong ... I'm going by memory ... so please forgive me :)

Sam Adams
October 26th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Youngstown State in a defensive nailbiter over UMass.

HIUguy08
October 27th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Hampton fights it out with W. Kentucky for the National Championship in Tennessee!!!!

GO PIRATES!!!

umassfan
October 27th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Hampton fights it out with W. Kentucky for the National Championship in Tennessee!!!!

GO PIRATES!!!
Has a team from your conference ever even won a game in the playoffs?

Eagle22
October 27th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Has a team from your conference ever even won a game in the playoffs?

Yes.

And to save you some further embarrassment, a team from that conference has won a title at the expense of the team you claim as your own. Check the history.

umassfan
October 27th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Yes.

And to save you some further embarrassment, a team from that conference has won a title at the expense of the team you claim as your own. Check the history.

Okay recently... :(

ASU Kep
October 27th, 2005, 02:47 AM
I'm not about to jinx anything...but a think a certain team I root for might have a shot, despite our past playoff "issues". It's a LONG way to go though...

FlyYtown
October 27th, 2005, 05:32 AM
How many does the Icecastle hold? If myself and a few others decide to make the trip to Youngstown, will we be able to buy tickets the day of the game?

The Ice Castle holds over 21,000 people; like they did when they only had one side even if it were to sell out they have standing room near the scoreboard.

Here is an aerial shot that could help you; you should have no problem gameday; but if you plan on tailgating; get your tix as early as possible; they will go quick.

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/8762/ysuaerial9qb.jpg

Baldy
October 27th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Yes.

*snicker*

Tribe4SF
October 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Okay recently... :(

"double snicker"

89Hen
October 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM
a team from that conference has won a title at the expense of the team you claim as your own.
:spank:

89Hen
October 27th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Only Jackson State has been to the playoffs as long without winning a title... :eek:
Winning a title? They didn't even win a game.

skinny_uncle
October 27th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Yes.

Florida A & M beat UMass for the 1978 championship 35-28 for those who are lost on what they are talking about.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Delaware is going to ride to momentum wave of their big win against JMU and win their next next eight games, the last one being in Chatty. ;)

GannonFan
October 27th, 2005, 08:27 AM
The Ice Castle holds over 21,000 people; like they did when they only had one side even if it were to sell out they have standing room near the scoreboard.

Here is an aerial shot that could help you; you should have no problem gameday; but if you plan on tailgating; get your tix as early as possible; they will go quick.

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/8762/ysuaerial9qb.jpg

I love going to YSU for a game - definitely one of the meccas of the IAA world - good to see that they are not completely dead in the post-Tressel era. When I was there, I parked in someone's yard - apparently they sell spots on their lawns for parking - I even set up and tailgated right there - not sure if they were used to that, but they did bring a trashbag out for me. Very hospitable people.

HenHouse1
October 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Umass or Montana

TypicalTribe
October 27th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Portland State

AppGuy04
October 27th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Is this really a valid question, I mean, other than the people who's teams have no chance of making the playoffs, everyone is gonna say their own team.

Black and Gold Express
October 27th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I would prefer ASU being under the radar myself. :)

Jaques
October 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Coastal Carolina

Ah Ralph, you're a riot. :)

If app state is confident going into the playoffs, no one will touch 'em, not even Coastal Carolina. :o

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM
App State has my vote.

Doesn't mean I'll cheer for them though... ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Surprisingly quiet from the Furman crowd...

...or do they just know better than to get caught up in this thread?

OL FU
October 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM

:D

dbackjon
October 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Portland State.

OL FU
October 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Furman has been in the playoff's 13 (14, can't remember) times. won once, been in the championship game 3 times, and probably should have been in a few other times. Realizing this is just for fun, so what they heck? But I am superstitious, I will not pick us.

Now, for everyone picking ASU I only have one thing to say. That pick makes me feel much better about our chances. :D

Jacks99
October 27th, 2005, 11:24 AM
My homer pick: SDSU convinces them to suspend the transistion rules and give them an at large bid to the playoffs.

My real vote is with Texas St.

LacesOut
October 27th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hate to admit it, but right now there is nobody I like to win it all. Seems every team has a loss or two and a flaw or two.

So I abstain.

OL FU
October 27th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Furman has been in the playoff's 13 (14, can't remember) times. won once, been in the championship game 3 times, and probably should have been in a few other times. Realizing this is just for fun, so what they heck? But I am superstitious, I will not pick us.

Now, for everyone picking ASU I only have one thing to say. That pick makes me feel much better about our chances. :D

And to elaborate further, while I think we match up pretty well with ASU (hopefully no argument since we won), I would not want to play them again for a very simple reason. History. I can remember four times that FU has played a team twice, once in the regular season and once in the post season.
96 ( I think) Marshall - beaten both times, but this really does not count because the 96 Marshall team was once of the best ever.
83 Western Carolina - tied them in Cullowhee in a game FU should have lost. Western beat us in a defensive battle in Paladin stadium and went on to loss in the NC game.
01 - Lost to GSU at Paulson during the regular season. Beat them at Paulson during the playoffs.
88 - (NC year ) lost to Marshall in Huntington regular season, beat them in Huntington during the playoffs.

It is hard to beat a good team (where both teams are evenly matched) twice during the same season.

ASU Kep
October 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Only Jackson State has been to the playoffs as long without winning a title... :eek:

So "this team I root for" sounds like they should get it done this year, eh? After the past two World Series', I have come to the conclusion that sports curses are all dead. Every one of em.

OL FU
October 27th, 2005, 12:12 PM
So "this team I root for" sounds like they should get it done this year, eh? After the past two World Series', I have come to the conclusion that sports curses are all dead. Every one of em.

Jackson State has to win first.

ASU Kep
October 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Jackson State has to win first.

I dont like your rules. :mad:

Eaglegus2
October 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM
FURMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OL FU
October 27th, 2005, 12:52 PM
FURMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Whatever :p

AppGuy04
October 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM
FURMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats blasphemy!

skinny_uncle
October 27th, 2005, 03:44 PM
S I U !!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Heck, If you can't make a homer pick on this thread, why have it?

DaGriz
October 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I haven't seen UNH this year but considering what Santos did last year as a 4th string freshman, if he got any better, I would have to say they have a great shot. Furman with an experienced QB would be a good pick in my opinion also. Here's a question. Has a team ever won the championship with a young QB? It seems like every year the winner has a junior or senior QB that has great stats. Not necessarily one that can throw even, GSU has done well with a running QB too. It just seems like a team with an experienced QB usually is the winner.

ASU Kep
October 27th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Wow...these has to be some serious ulterior motives going on there...a GSU fan giving Furman credit?!? I mean...wtf? At least WE beat the snot out of you...

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I'll keep it simple, who wins the national title and why

University of Southern California

oh you mean IAA :bang: :bang: :bang:

The University of New Hampshire.... I hope

Montana I fear :mad:

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I haven't seen UNH this year but considering what Santos did last year as a 4th string freshman, if he got any better, I would have to say they have a great shot. Furman with an experienced QB would be a good pick in my opinion also. Here's a question. Has a team ever won the championship with a young QB? It seems like every year the winner has a junior or senior QB that has great stats. Not necessarily one that can throw even, GSU has done well with a running QB too. It just seems like a team with an experienced QB usually is the winner.

Oh hes gotten better look at the graphic on page 5 of the UMass UNH board :)

SeattleGriz
October 27th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Montana I fear :mad:

Just a little something to add to that fear.

Highlights from last years game

1st half
http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/Media/Football/2004_Audio_V/first_half_unh.wmv

2nd Half
http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/Media/Football/2004_Audio_V/second_half_unh.wmv

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Just a little something to add to that fear.

Highlights from last years game

1st half
http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/Media/Football/2004_Audio_V/first_half_unh.wmv

2nd Half
http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/Media/Football/2004_Audio_V/second_half_unh.wmv

Reminders not nescesarry lol

UNHknowledge
October 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Fellow Wildcat...there is no reason to fear Montana. They're good but thats it..just good. Without Ochs they are not half the team they were last year. A team that only puts up 7 vs. SDSU just doesn't do it for me.

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Fellow Wildcat...there is no reason to fear Montana. They're good but thats it..just good. Without Ochs they are not half the team they were last year. A team that only puts up 7 vs. SDSU just doesn't do it for me.

I didn't say I feared losing to them, just feared them winning the championship. It be tough for UNH cause with there facility I doubt we will get a home playoff game so its a long road on the road, But "In Santos We Trust" :)

UNHknowledge
October 27th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I didn't say I feared losing to them, just feared them winning the championship. It be tough for UNH cause with there facility I doubt we will get a home playoff game so its a long road on the road, But "In Santos We Trust" :)

Amen :)

DaGriz
October 27th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Fellow Wildcat...there is no reason to fear Montana. They're good but thats it..just good. Without Ochs they are not half the team they were last year.

We averaged 35 points a game last year, this year 27. So we're actually more than half the team we were last year. At just half the team we were last year, 47 divided 2=23.5 and our defense is the same as last year. So you still lose 23.5 to 17. You should fear at least a little bit. ;) :D

colgate13
October 27th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Well we all know it will be Colgate... but in a non Homer pick: Cal Poly.

DaGriz
October 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM

They lost their QB for the season last week.

ASU Kep
October 27th, 2005, 09:24 PM
and might not even make the playoffs with another loss...they've still got Eastern Washington too, right?

Tod
October 27th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Get a seed, and you're at home as long as you win and meet the minimum bid (unless you're matched against a higher seed, which can't happen until the semi-final). :) :)

colgate13
October 27th, 2005, 10:41 PM
and might not even make the playoffs with another loss...they've still got Eastern Washington too, right?

I'm not convinced Cal Poly is a one trick pony...

This is a guess folks! It pays not to pick favourites here! :)

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Polys QB was the heart of that football team, without him i dont even see them in the playoffs

Catmendue2
October 29th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Hooray for SCSU and Hampton. I don't care about GPI's Hampton is Number one and gonna prove it. :D

youwouldno
October 29th, 2005, 10:58 PM
This has been a crazy year. I don't expect the playoffs to be any different... heck, it's very much up in the air who will be in the playoffs.

As a Furman fan, I think we certainly are a contender. There is no one team that has been perfect this year... UNH has looked very good. EWU, should they make the playoffs, would be dangerous. UMass is good. App St. is good.

Of possible playoff teams:

Best offense: Furman, ahead of EWU and UNH. A strong rush game can really be critical in controlling the pace of the game and getting key first downs.

Best defense: Cal Poly if they make it, UMass 2nd.

Best balance: App St.?

UNHknowledge
October 29th, 2005, 11:12 PM
This has been a crazy year. I don't expect the playoffs to be any different... heck, it's very much up in the air who will be in the playoffs.

As a Furman fan, I think we certainly are a contender. There is no one team that has been perfect this year... UNH has looked very good. EWU, should they make the playoffs, would be dangerous. UMass is good. App St. is good.

Of possible playoff teams:

Best offense: Furman, ahead of EWU and UNH. A strong rush game can really be critical in controlling the pace of the game and getting key first downs.

Best defense: Cal Poly if they make it, UMass 2nd.

Best balance: App St.?

I agree with you that the run game controls the pace of the game but not as much as scoring TD's does and nobody in I-AA and not many in the I-A world are better than UNH at scoring TD's.

As far as defense it shocks me that you still have that much respect for UMass. Granted they are good...but that secondary was delivered 4 TD's air mail today and 0 picks and it was the first time they have faced a team with any sort of a passing game. They are solid against the run though, but don't be suprised if Hofstra exploits them in the air in the season finale. And as far as Poly...they are good too but UC-Davis is better than they are. Davis's D is the real deal, its ashame they are not playoff eligible.

I totally agree w/ the App St. pick for balance, they're the team I see UNH playing for the title.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM

CAL PIE..........WILL BE PUTTIN' DUH FINISHIN' TOUCHES......ON DUH "MUSTANG FLOAT".....FO' DUH ROSE BOWL PARADE......'BOUT DA TIME.....NEW HAMPSHIRE......IS AWARDED DUH JEWELRY!.......:nod:.......AWK!