PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Hanna could effect games in the Carolinas.

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM
If you look at the projected path its supposed to hit thursday or Friday around Charleston and the eye is supposed to work its way up the foothills of South and North Carolina by Saturday. Would they play through the rain and winds and storms or what? The projected path shows it going right maybe an hour or so from Boone.xnonono2x xnonono2x xsmhx

furman94
September 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
It will bring much needed rain, and could even out a few games with the rain. I think this plays to our advantage in Blacksburg on Saturday, in a game that could be a monsoon.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Bring it on. I want Lane Stadium to be drenched. Slow down those linebackers and keep some of the fans home.

appfan2008
September 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
should be interesting in boone on saturday... could be hell in the stands

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
It's going to be an interesting week to see how this all plays out.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm2+gif/173214W_sm.gif

We could definitely use the rain.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5961/dmncbigmr1.gif

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
I wish it could hold off until atleast Saturday night.

Was that drought map before the last depression to come through and rain for four days straight or after?

walliver
September 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
If you look at the projected path its supposed to hit thursday or Friday around Charleston and the eye is supposed to work its way up the foothills of South and North Carolina by Saturday. Would they play through the rain and winds and storms or what? The projected path shows it going right maybe an hour or so from Boone.xnonono2x xnonono2x xsmhx

If its a real Hurricane, I doubt the Wofford-CSU game would be played. The projected path I saw last takes it through Savannah and Statesboro affecting the GSU game. Citadel plays at Clemson and that game would likely be played (although there could be lightning and tornado risks). Furman at VT should be a safe bet. ASU should also be safe, but there may be issues for the Dolphins as Jacksonville is a possible target. Jacksonville might need to travel to Boone earlier than planned.

CCU plays at home with Colgate. This game would have to be decided on early because of the travel distance for Colgate.

SC State also has a home game against Benedict. Orangeburg is only an hour away from Charleston.

PC plays at home but is inland enough for some protection, but would still be at risk for Thunderstorms and Tornados.

Cancellation of this weekend's game for Wofford and GSU might have significant impact on both teams in late November. At-large playoff chances would be much better for both teams with an extra D-I win each. A Terrier or Eagle team at 7-3 might be passed over for another team at 8-3.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM
Any word from Coastal Carolina fans on what the effect could be for Saturday's game?

At what point (weather-wise or time-wise) would they decide to cancel it?

Is that even a possibility, or am I overreacting a bit?

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
I wish it could hold off until atleast Saturday night.

Was that drought map before the last depression to come through and rain for four days straight or after?

Yes, the map is after the rain we've already had. Most of the western half of the state was in the Exceptional Drought stage. The rain knocked us down to Extreme.

http://www.ncdrought.org/

furman94
September 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hard to tell at this point. Hannah could turn to the right and move off into the Alantic again. Come Wednesday, there should be an answer

walliver
September 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
I think that in the post-Katrina era, many games that would have been played despite the weather will be cancelled, or rescheduled.

james_lawfirm
September 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Yikes, we're a hurricane magnet! xeekx xeekx xeekx

biggie
September 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Yes, 2 weeks in a row of hurricanes affecting App games would suck.

zilla
September 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Any word from Coastal Carolina fans on what the effect could be for Saturday's game?

No news as of now. You can check goccusports.com for updates.

This game would not be rescheduled if called-off. You guys play Lafayette the same day as our lone open date (Nov. 1).

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 1st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Much will depend on how much strengthening occurs in the next few days and of course the actual track it takes. What really gets difficult making decisions is watching today as Gustav came ashore. In addition to the rain, wind and storm surge, there were multiple freaking tornadoes in Mississippi and Alabama well to the east of the eye. And the darned storms are so unpredictable that the potential impact zone is significant. And IMHO you have to err on the side of caution.

And Ike is ready to named out in the Atlantic and another low just came off Africa! xoopsx xoopsx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM

This game would not be rescheduled if called-off. You guys play Lafayette the same day as our lone open date (Nov. 1).

If it is a home and home series, might venues be switched? Play in upstate NY this year then play in SC next year or whenever the return game is scheduled?

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Once the hurricane hits the gulf stream it will strengthen, the water temperatures on the gulf stream are extremely warm.

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
New update:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm2+gif/205014W_sm.gif

Tracking further to the east now and should be well north of us by game time (3:30 PM). Tailgating may be a soggy enterprise, but the game should be in good shape. xthumbsupx

blueballs
September 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Looks like my coast house in Georgia is right in the cross hairs... just lovely. First the tree down on the Longwood house during TS Fay now this... xrotatehx

CharlestonAppFan
September 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
New update:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm2+gif/205014W_sm.gif

Tracking further to the east now and should be well north of us by game time (3:30 PM). Tailgating may be a soggy enterprise, but the game should be in good shape. xthumbsupx

uh oh xeekx it looks like I'm on the right side of the winds and storm surge. I live about 100 yards from Shem Creek, which for those of you that don't know is an inlet coming directly from the harbor and ocean. I remember 2 years ago when some tropical storm came through, it rose and reached almost 20 feet up to my back door.

God, please let this thing go back out into the ocean xprayx

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
The eye should be coming pretty close to actually where I live, always wanted that to happen.

BeauFoster
September 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
The eye should be coming pretty close to actually where I live, always wanted that to happen.

Then move to the coast. I don't want anything to do with another hurricane, I went through Hugo. 5 days with no electricity stinks.

LehighFan11
September 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Great, according to that picture the hurricane will be just below PA by Saturday. But, of course it will starrt raining by friday. Given our history in monsoons, especially in the opener, it could be a long day.

CarolinaGirl
September 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
If it is a home and home series, might venues be switched? Play in upstate NY this year then play in SC next year or whenever the return game is scheduled?

I believe it is a home and home series. However, I think its kinda late for Coastal to get the charter plane and hotel rooms and everything organized in time to get up to New York by Friday.
I heard they may try to move it to Thursday but that decision would have to have been made by now, I would think. Colgate needs to get their plans changed also. I don't know what goes in to chartering a plane or moving the flight up but I would think after everyone clears out from Labor Day today, our hotels will at least have some availability a couple of days early.
I have big tailgating plans for our home opener (its my birthday and we have a special grill and cocktail menu planned! :D ). I really hope this thing goes away xprayx

CarolinaGirl
September 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM

That happened in Myrtle Beach with Hurricane Charley in 2004. The storm really wasn't that bad and then everything just stopped. The sun came out; it was really bizarre. I didn't know that was the eye of the storm. Then, BAM, we got nailed. The back half of the storm was not pretty! It was pretty wild...

appst97
September 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Then move to the coast. I don't want anything to do with another hurricane, I went through Hugo. 5 days with no electricity stinks.

Pun intended?

Seawolf97
September 1st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Like someone mentioned Hanna could strengthen over the Gulf Stream and make for a real mess along the South Carolina coast. These storms are not to be taken lightly.

BeauFoster
September 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Pun intended?

xlolx

Thankfully our neighbor had plenty of propane for his trailer, so we were able to shower once. As for the eye passing over, even though it wasn't so much of an eye at that point, it was still surreal. It's raining cats and dogs, windy as everything, and then it just stopped and got sunny. A little while later, it all started again, except it seemed harder. I was fairly young then, but I'll never forget it.

windwalker
September 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
Got to add to all of this... T.D. number nine, is right behind Hanna, and is moving faster... if T.D. nine catches up , it could be one heck of a nasty hurricane...

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
I is a hurricane now so the gulf steam will indeed add strength right before landfall since the gulf stream isn't maybe 50-60 miles offshore.

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
Got to add to all of this... T.D. number nine, is right behind Hanna, and is moving faster... if T.D. nine catches up , it could be one heck of a nasty hurricane...

I looked at weather.com then clicked on a map just west of Africa where these storms form. There are three, one right behind the other that haven't been mentioned on the weather channel yet that I know of.xoopsx

appfan2008
September 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
well the latest track has hanna well past boone for saturday which would be awesome... really dont want to sit through a monsoon but would do it for app...

Seawolf97
September 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
I looked at weather.com then clicked on a map just west of Africa where these storms form. There are three, one right behind the other that haven't been mentioned on the weather channel yet that I know of.xoopsx

The next one is named Tropical Storm Ike. Not sure where it is headed yet -still too far out to sea.

BeauFoster
September 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Joe Bastardi (great name, by the way) believes that Hanna will land somewhere in SC and move up to DC as a tropical storm by Saturday, mid-day. He didn't offer much prediction on Ike.

walliver
September 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
I think Ike is expected to move westward and possibly end up in the gulf before hitting land

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
I believe it is a home and home series. However, I think its kinda late for Coastal to get the charter plane and hotel rooms and everything organized in time to get up to New York by Friday.
I heard they may try to move it to Thursday but that decision would have to have been made by now, I would think. Colgate needs to get their plans changed also. I don't know what goes in to chartering a plane or moving the flight up but I would think after everyone clears out from Labor Day today, our hotels will at least have some availability a couple of days early.
I have big tailgating plans for our home opener (its my birthday and we have a special grill and cocktail menu planned! :D ). I really hope this thing goes away xprayx

Agreed, not easy to switch travel plans at the late date whether to switch venues or move the date up. Just mentioning it as an option albeit a difficult one.

Millwoch
September 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Well I think that CSU/Woffy is in trouble. THere will be an evacuation of charleston before friday if this thing stays on its current path. The Citadel plays in Clemson and looking at the current projection, they could leave a day early? The crowd will be a poor one in Clemson if it is raining. I think they can still play it and it may even have passed by game time. I would look for rain all up the mid atlantic states this weekend.

I hope you guys on the coast stay safe. I would hate to be heading up I-26 come thurs. PM.

GaSouthern
September 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
During Hugo we got two inches of rain.... IN OUR FRIGGIN SECOND FLOOR HOTEL ROOM!!!!!!! The rain was coming in under the door, we also were in the eye but I don't remember much of it because I was slightly young. No way in heck do I want to experience that again!!

ngineer
September 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM

Last I heard is that Hanna should be passing your way on Friday and we may get some of the spinoff, etc. on Saturday further north. So you may have clear skies by kick off on Saturday...xconfusedx

walliver
September 2nd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsaid
If you look at the projected path its supposed to hit thursday or Friday around Charleston and the eye is supposed to work its way up the foothills of South and North Carolina by Saturday. Would they play through the rain and winds and storms or what? The projected path shows it going right maybe an hour or so from Boone.

Last I heard is that Hanna should be passing your way on Friday and we may get some of the spinoff, etc. on Saturday further north. So you may have clear skies by kick off on Saturday...

I guess the issue for ASU is will Jacksonville make the trip, since Jacksonville is also in the cone?

CSUBUCDAD
September 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
If the current track holds firm and there is little to no damage the CSU Wofford game could still be played. Projected to be centered in Northern Va a kickoff time of 1:30. Hold your breath.

APPStrongNC
September 2nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm2+gif/082915W_sm.gif

Not a hurricane yet folks. The path has shifted east, as of the 8AM today. Also, looking at the HPC five day rainfall outlook you can see where the models think the heavy rains will be..

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i00.gif

I for one will be in Boone at 7:45am ready to go. As long as the game does get caned, which I do not think it will...

good luck to all....

appfan2008
September 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
that 5 day rain projection shows boone just on the edge... i think we will be fine... plus we will be on the west side of the storm

WileECoyote06
September 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
During Hugo we got two inches of rain.... IN OUR FRIGGIN SECOND FLOOR HOTEL ROOM!!!!!!! The rain was coming in under the door, we also were in the eye but I don't remember much of it because I was slightly young. No way in heck do I want to experience that again!!

I was beginning to worry about some of these folks sanity. Wile E does not f with hurricanes with the 'H' or 'F' names. Hugo(Cat 5), Floyd (Cat 4), and Fran (Cat 3) were no joke; and it definitely wasn't something as simple as needing rain.

My area looks like we are on the direct impact path, and thus I'm going to gas up and buy my propane and food today.

Libertine
September 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
I went through Hugo. 5 days with no electricity stinks.

So did I. We were out for 2 weeks.

KiddBrewer
September 2nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
So did I. We were out for 2 weeks.

i slept through it.

i was 2.

Millwoch
September 2nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Hopefully all it will do is mess up a few schedules...The Citadel is watching th storm closely per their website.

College monitoring Hurricane Hanna
(01 SEP)
The Citadel is monitoring closely the track of Hanna. Senior staff have met and reviewed emergency storm procedures the college is prepared to implement. The storm may also affect The Citadel vs Clemson University football game this Saturday, Sept. 6. Updates regarding storm preparations will be posted on this web site and The Citadel Dawg Line at 843-953-3294.

csubuccaneers
September 2nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Wake up people, there will be not football in SC this weekend a hurricane is coming not a thunder storm. Schools, airports, businesses, bridges, and roads will be shutdown. Just the tropical force winds of 40-50 mph can easily tip over lights and scoreboards and easily injure fans, cheerleaders, and players. Our state of the art scoreboard should be fine though ;)

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll183/csubuccaneers/ccusucks.jpg

Millwoch
September 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Looks like that scoreboard survived Hugo...I think it will hold up to this one. I do agree with you CSU...No way a game is played in Charleston...It will have past by gametime, but the City will be evacuated.

bodoyle
September 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM

VR: We have been discussing moving it to Thursday. According to one of our posters there is a game management meeting at 9:30 this morning.

http://www.coastalfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=5139.msg70806#msg70806

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM

VR: We have been discussing moving it to Thursday. According to one of our posters there is a game management meeting at 9:30 this morning.

http://www.coastalfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=5139.msg70806#msg70806

Thanks for the heads up xthumbsupx

xoutofrepx

KAUMASS
September 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Wake up people, there will be not football in SC this weekend a hurricane is coming not a thunder storm. Schools, airports, businesses, bridges, and roads will be shutdown. Just the tropical force winds of 40-50 mph can easily tip over lights and scoreboards and easily injure fans, cheerleaders, and players. Our state of the art scoreboard should be fine though ;)

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll183/csubuccaneers/ccusucks.jpg

UMass played URI in a tropical storm last year...It's not ******fun, especially if you lose.
Nice Scoreboard!!

CarolinaGirl
September 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
I know this thread is not about CSU's scoreboard but I'm so sick of looking at that pathetic thing. I know they are proud of their 2005 Big South "co-championship". They post it whenever possible. I really like the looks of this one better. What does it say at the bottom? Next Stop....where? OH, the playoffs! ;)

The entire southeast is watching this storm and hoping they will still be able to play their football games. At least we aren't the only "crazy" ones out there. The path can change at any time so there is no use in giving up and packing it in now. Besides, I haven't heard any rumors about Jim Cantore heading this way, so how serious can it be?? :D

gr8ness97
September 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
So much for that hated WSSU-NCAT rivalry game this weekend...

appfan2008
September 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
it looks like boone should be good... i check many different weather sources in the last few minutes and the worst of it for boone should be friday and friday night... saturday morning should rap things up with saturday afternoon having perfect clearing conditions for the game...

bodoyle
September 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
CG: He'll be there. He was mentioning it yesterday as roofs were ripping off behind him.

ERASU2113
September 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
it looks like boone should be good... i check many different weather sources in the last few minutes and the worst of it for boone should be friday and friday night... saturday morning should rap things up with saturday afternoon having perfect clearing conditions for the game...

Yea...gotta love tailgating in the mud though :D xsmhx

appfan2008
September 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Yea...gotta love tailgating in the mud though :D xsmhx

i usually taigate on paved parking lots! xnodx xsmiley_wix xnodx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hanna has slowed down, almost stalled, and it looks like a Saturday visit now.

And waiting in the wings are Ike AND Josephine! xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

bodoyle
September 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Looks like Friday night here, but it will prolly slow.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm2+gif/145314W_sm.gif

KAUMASS
September 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
No matter how you look at it, some teams are gonna get screwed with the weather. We played URI in a tropical storm with heavy wind and rain last year. Gust's were to 45 mph. Yes, both teams have to deal with the weather, but when weather is a neutralizer it just plain sucks if you have the stronger team on paper. I tip my hat to URI for beating us last year, I would have felt better if they beat us on a clear and dry day.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM

Regrettably, it is not. I understand that this was a replacement because both teams had scheduled FBS opponents (Colgate was supposed to play at U Buffalo) who pulled out of their commitments. On a separate thread, I suggested you guys come to Hamilton and we agree on a return date in Conway. An open date is not good for either squad after what happened last week.

APPStrongNC
September 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
forecast for boone as of tonight. may change, as Hana continues to show a east move with NHC updates...

Saturday: A chance of rain and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

CID1990
September 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
I know this thread is not about CSU's scoreboard but I'm so sick of looking at that pathetic thing. I know they are proud of their 2005 Big South "co-championship". They post it whenever possible. I really like the looks of this one better. What does it say at the bottom? Next Stop....where? OH, the playoffs! ;)

The entire southeast is watching this storm and hoping they will still be able to play their football games. At least we aren't the only "crazy" ones out there. The path can change at any time so there is no use in giving up and packing it in now. Besides, I haven't heard any rumors about Jim Cantore heading this way, so how serious can it be?? :D

I had never seen the CCU scoreboard before today, and up until now, I would have bet that there would be a Hooters ad on it. Where I would have gone wrong is I would have also bet that there was a "Thee Dollhouse" ad on it, as well.

That being said, all leave has been cancelled for the Charleston Police Dept. as of tonight. So, it looks like whether clempson plays The Citadel on Saturday or not, I won't be there. I am sucking up $70 worth of tickets and a room cancellation fee of $100. Probably for nothing more than a tropical storm that goes ashore in north Florida.

Maybe we will have looters!!

CID1990
September 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM

I had never seen the CCU scoreboard before today, and up until now, I would have bet that there would be a Hooters ad on it. Where I would have gone wrong is I would have also bet that there was a "Thee Dollhouse" ad on it, as well.

That being said, all leave has been cancelled for the Charleston Police Dept. as of tonight. So, it looks like whether clempson plays The Citadel on Saturday or not, I won't be there. I am sucking up $70 worth of tickets and a room cancellation fee of $100. Probably for nothing more than a tropical storm that goes ashore in north Florida.

Maybe we will have looters!! xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

CarolinaGirl
September 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=CID1990;1084972]I had never seen the CCU scoreboard before today, and up until now, I would have bet that there would be a Hooters ad on it. Where I would have gone wrong is I would have also bet that there was a "Thee Dollhouse" ad on it, as well.[QUOTE]

You do know that Brooks Stadium is named after Bob Brooks, right? Founder of Hooters?? I'm pretty sure the owner of Thee Dollhouse didn't have any funding in the stadium...;)

Coastal's game will be played either Saturday at 7 or Sunday at 1, depending on what happens by tomorrow.

CarolinaGirl
September 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM

You do know that Brooks Stadium is named after Bob Brooks, right? Founder of Hooters?? I'm pretty sure the owners of Thee Dollhouse didn't have anything to do with funding in the stadium... ;)

Coastal's game will be played either Saturday at 7 or Sunday at 1, depending on what happens by tomorrow.

CarolinaGirl
September 2nd, 2008, 09:26 PM

You do know that Brooks Stadium is named after Bob Brooks, right? Founder of Hooters?? I'm pretty sure the owners of Thee Dollhouse didn't have anything to do with funding in the stadium... ;)