PDA

View Full Version : TSN Poll

Hansel
September 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/newstest.aspx?id=4177009

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (62) 0-1 2,625 1
2. North Dakota State Bison (42) 1-0 2,555 2
3. Richmond Spiders (4) 1-0 2,406 4
4. Massachusetts Minutemen 1-0 2,226 5
5. Montana Grizzlies (1) 0-0 1,919 8
6. Delaware Blue Hens 0-1 1,856 9
7. Eastern Washington Eagles 0-1 1,870 7
8. James Madison Dukes 0-1 1,821 6
9. Northern Iowa Panthers 0-1 1,781 3
10. McNeese State Cowboys 0-1 1,761 10
11. Cal Poly Mustangs 1-0 1,664 14
12. Southern Illinois Salukis 0-0 1,451 11
13. Wofford Terriers 1-0 1,407 13
14. Youngstown State Penguins 0-1 1,148 14
15. New Hampshire Wildcats 0-0 918 16
16. Georgia Southern Eagles 0-1 868 17
17. Elon Phoenix 0-1 747 15
18. Western Illinois Leathernecks 0-1 659 25
19. Eastern Illinois Panthers 0-1 600 18
20. The Citadel Bulldogs 1-0 521 23
21. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 0-1 515 19
22. Central Arkansas Bears 1-0 507 22
23. Villanova Wildcats 0-1 491 21
24. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 0-1 378 20
25. Harvard Crimson 0-0 259 24

93henfan
September 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Sweet. First time we've ever lost and vaulted three spaces in the poll!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Saint3333
September 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Surprises IMO:

ASU remains #1
NDSU jumps Richmond (Elon is better than AP right?)
UNI falls further than JMU

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Interesting, no one new in the poll, no one falls out

Seems reasonable given the circumstances

Though I am surprised about NDSU jumping Richmond after the Spiders beat a ranked opponent xchinscratchx

93henfan
September 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
UNI did get the shaft. No biggie though. Plenty of season to erase or reinforce any doubts for all teams.

introvertedGSUfan
September 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Yay, we moved up one.

Syntax Error
September 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
Montana #1?
NDSU with all those #1 picks and jumping 7 places?
Penalizing and rewarding FBS outcomes weirdly.
Just a strange casting. xtwocentsx

93henfan
September 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
NDSU with all those #1 picks and jumping 7 places?

I think that one's a typo. UD was 9th last week, not NDSU. They were #2 last week, right?

93henfan
September 1st, 2008, 01:38 PM
Damn Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/parts of Virginia media bias has half of the top eight teams from the CAA again.

Conspiracy.

uofmman1122
September 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Montana got a #1 vote.

Who says we're rebuilding? Apparently not that guy! xlolx

AggieFinn
September 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Cal Poly up to No. 11 after beating San Diego State. UC Davis up to No. 28 after close loss to San Jose State. North Dakota Fighting Sioux still have something to prove...

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/688e20b1-8907-4fb6-9dfa-2c10b50740c1.jpg

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
I think if anything, UNI showed how good they will be. Who cares about a week 1 poll though.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
I think if anything, UNI showed how good they will be. Who cares about a week 1 poll though.

I think you got shafted as well. From some of the post game shows and interviews, BYU gave you guys a lot of credit. They didn't make excuses about all their fumbles in the 3rd quarter and credited your hitting. So you did game some respect, just not from the voters :)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM

Still waiting on your game day thread to post some more thoughts :D xsmiley_wix

IaaScribe
September 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Cal Poly is too low.

I'd dump Eastern Kentucky entirely. They didn't even show at Cincy.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Adding in the rest of the poll:

Others receiving votes: Furman 149, Sam Houston State 128, UC Davis 125, Montana State 113, Liberty 103, Northern Arizona 91, Delaware State 87, Fordham 76, Hampton 66, Yale 57, Norfolk State 48, Jacksonville State 47, Holy Cross 40, Weber State 38, Northwestern State 32, South Carolina State 30, Southern 28, Tennessee State 24, Colgate 20, North Dakota 19, Brown 15, Grambling 14, Lafayette 14, Florida A&M 13, San Diego 10, Coastal Carolina 7, Prairie View 7, Stony Brook 4, Tennessee-Martin 3, Tennessee Tech 3, Dayton 3, Albany 2, Morehead State 2, Alabama State 1, Hofstra 1, Jackson State 1.

Just getting a good look at it, who's voting for us still? xconfusedx

And especially over Stony Brook? xeekx xconfusedx

Hansel
September 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
NDSU was #2 last week- TSN story mentions it as well,

TSN had a typo in their poll

DetroitFlyer
September 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Colgate ranked above Stony Brook? I really have to wonder sometimes if the people who participate in these polls actually follow the sport.... I guess that once you leave the top 25, it simply becomes a popularity contest? Sad and embarrassing if you ask me.... On a positive note, at least 3 PFL teams are getting votes, San Diego, Dayton and Morehead State....

mlbowl
September 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
Cal Poly is too low.

I'd dump Eastern Kentucky entirely. They didn't even show at Cincy.

Agreedxnodx

furman94
September 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
I don't understand. NDSU crushes AP 41-6, still above Richmond who beat a ranked Elon. I still think NDSU has more to prove to the rest of the FCS. If they play and beat CAA and Socon teams, than I am more than sure that they deserve the ranking. I also don't get GSU moving up one. They played ok against a better opponent, but lost by a wide margin. If FU stays close and keeps up with VT, will we possibly get on the Top 25, after demolishing Mars Hill 62-14?

Chi Panther
September 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
EWU, JMU and UNI is confusing...but there is alot of season to go.....

appfan2008
September 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
this poll has time to work itself out which is certainly needed!

IndianaAppMan
September 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
I don't understand. NDSU crushes AP 41-6, still above Richmond who beat a ranked Elon. I still think NDSU has more to prove to the rest of the FCS. If they play and beat CAA and Socon teams, than I am more than sure that they deserve the ranking. I also don't get GSU moving up one. They played ok against a better opponent, but lost by a wide margin. If FU stays close and keeps up with VT, will we possibly get on the Top 25, after demolishing Mars Hill 62-14?

If NDSU plays and beats the many highly-respected Mo. Valley members, I certainly wouldn't deem it will be necessary for them to beat a CAA or SoCon team in order to be in the Top Five. They're certainly capable of winning each of those games, it seems at this point.

I think if we're all honest with ourselves, we'd agree that the differences between the CAA, SoCon, and Mo. Valley are pretty subtle. There's plenty of quality in each. We're all strong at the top, and we've each got at least one or two patsies.

If Furman keeps up w/ VT, they'll certainly be in the Top 25. I wouldn't count on that, though. Those boys are going to blast their frustrations at the next people they face, which happens to be Furman. xoopsx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Adding in the rest of the poll:

Others receiving votes: Furman 149, Sam Houston State 128, UC Davis 125, Montana State 113, Liberty 103, Northern Arizona 91, Delaware State 87, Fordham 76, Hampton 66, Yale 57, Norfolk State 48, Jacksonville State 47, Holy Cross 40, Weber State 38, Northwestern State 32, South Carolina State 30, Southern 28, Tennessee State 24, Colgate 20, North Dakota 19, Brown 15, Grambling 14, Lafayette 14, Florida A&M 13, San Diego 10, Coastal Carolina 7, Prairie View 7, Stony Brook 4, Tennessee-Martin 3, Tennessee Tech 3, Dayton 3, Albany 2, Morehead State 2, Alabama State 1, Hofstra 1, Jackson State 1.

Just getting a good look at it, who's voting for us still? xconfusedx

And especially over Stony Brook? xeekx xconfusedx

Agreed, Stony Brook should have garnered at least as many votes as Colgate. And how does Albany only get two votes after playing UMass so tough in Amherst? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

FCS Go!
September 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM

Definately... but Furman will be hard pressed to keep it close. VT may be a young team on defense but they are very talented and Furman won't be able to generate the pressure on Glennon (VT qb) that ECU did.

FCS Go!
September 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Montana's #1 vote has to be a Cal Poly fan! Anyone who has the Griz in the top 10 at this point in the season hasn't done their research.

Retro
September 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Not sure why Montana would jump 3 spots despite not playing? xconfusedx
Delaware moves up 3 with a close 7 point loss. xcoolx
Mcneese doesn't move despite an 8 point loss to a opponent very similar to delaware's.. ;)
Cal-Poly should be in top 10.. xthumbsupx
SIU drops a spot despite not playing? xconfusedx
JMU Drops 2 spots while losing badly to a traditionally bad team. xoopsx
UNI Drops 6 spots while losing to traditionally good program by same margin at JMU lost?xconfusedx

I'm sure it will all work itself out over next 11 weeks.xthumbsupx

Pantherpower
September 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Well, if UNI needed a chip on their shoulder, they now have one. Plenty of time to move up.

FUwolfpacker
September 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Definately... but Furman will be hard pressed to keep it close. VT may be a young team on defense but they are very talented and Furman won't be able to generate the pressure on Glennon (VT qb) that ECU did.

I'm not trying to say FU will keep it close, or that we have a great shot at winning. Just addressing the pressure deal.

It's a different year with different players and a different venue, but FU did drop Cullen Harper 5 times last year with senior heavy Clemson O-line.

With that said....we still lost 38-10 :)

It's a little too early to worry about the polls (at least to me). There's still a lot of football to play and plenty of time for people to prove themselves. Definitely some odd things in this poll, but all this stuff should work itself out by the end of the season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Poll after the 1st week.....doesn't mean squat.

A lot of season left and the cream-of-the crop will come out later in the season.

Redwyn
September 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Poll after the 1st week.....doesn't mean squat.

A lot of season left and the cream-of-the crop will come out later in the season.

Amen! Lookin forward to a great second week. Elon vs. Stony Brook looks to be a very exciting game.

sikolec
September 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Huge match up this Saturday in San Luis Obispo, CA...With TSN #5 Montana at TSN #11 Cal Poly. Any other ranked match ups this week?

93henfan
September 1st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Huge match up this Saturday in San Luis Obispo, CA...With TSN #5 Montana at TSN #11 Cal Poly. Any other ranked match ups this week?

Any TV on that one. I'd like to check it out. Montana streams all their games too, right?

CSUBUCDAD
September 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Great. The Citidel kicks the butt of the weakest NAIA team in the world and moves up in the polls. What a joke. PLAY SOMEBODY WITH SOME NUTS DAWGS.

DSUrocks07
September 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Not sure why Montana would jump 3 spots despite not playing? xconfusedx
Delaware moves up 3 with a close 7 point loss. xcoolx
Mcneese doesn't move despite an 8 point loss to a opponent very similar to delaware's.. ;)
Cal-Poly should be in top 10.. xthumbsupx
SIU drops a spot despite not playing? xconfusedx
JMU Drops 2 spots while losing badly to a traditionally bad team. xoopsx
UNI Drops 6 spots while losing to traditionally good program by same margin at JMU lost?xconfusedx

I'm sure it will all work itself out over next 11 weeks.xthumbsupx

xlolx

Thats why I'm glad that we don't have to deal with the BCS mess xwhistlex

BCS = we select our champion
FCS = we crown our champion

Mustang Man
September 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Cal Poly wins at SDSU and only moves up 3 spots?

93henfan
September 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM

No offense, because you carried the FCS banner proudly this weekend, but it was SDSU after all and Marshall Faulk hasn't played there for fifteen years now.

BEAR
September 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Cal Poly up to No. 11 after beating San Diego State. UC Davis up to No. 28 after close loss to San Jose State. North Dakota Fighting Sioux still have something to prove...\

It's gonna be a great game this weekend in Conway Arkansas when UC-Davis comes to town to face the #22 ranked UCA Bears! Hopefully the Bears have had a chance to stock their roster with more FCS players this time or it will be a long long day!

Poly Pigskin
September 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Any TV on that one. I'd like to check it out. Montana streams all their games too, right?

Free streaming here, but supposedly it sucks: http://www.bigskytv.org/

Ronbo
September 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Free streaming here, but supposedly it sucks: http://www.bigskytv.org/

It's like listening to the radio with video that has frequent digital breakup and freezing. It's very good for free:D , I'd be really mad if I paid for it.xmadx

fuEMO
September 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
Going back to the Clemson game last season.
Furman 384 yards Clemson 377 yards
Furman 5 turnovers Clemson 1 turnover
Furman 5 Sacks
Sorrells 18/28 172 yards

I have no idea what will happen in this game but Furman's FBS struggles have happened in the passing game. I think VT has no idea what they will really see from the Furman D. Barring injuries our speed from the DLine and our new hybrid positions will make this game interesting.

As far as rankings go…IMO Furman is very under-rated. But you play the games on the field. It all starts for real against Colgate. We have more a more accurate measure of Furman then.

furman94
September 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
I agree on Colgate.

BTW, you should post more FUemo, we always need more Purple and White!

CID1990
September 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Great. The Citidel kicks the butt of the weakest NAIA team in the world and moves up in the polls. What a joke. PLAY SOMEBODY WITH SOME NUTS DAWGS.

LOL @ the audacity.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/guinneach/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Don't worry, we'll be looking for a new season-opening cupcake next year. I think CSU is due.

UNI Pike
September 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM

Wacky poll - win again next week and you'll be bangin' on the top 5

OhioHen
September 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
The first time in several years that the AGS poll wasn't the first to hit the "presses." xsmhx xnonono2x xnonox

JoshUCA
September 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM

Kind of... #28 UC Davis @ #22 Central Arkansas
Kick-off is Saturday at 6:00 pm CT

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
The first time in several years that the AGS poll wasn't the first to hit the "presses." xsmhx xnonono2x xnonox

With all the CSN issues and now the poll, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Going back to the Clemson game last season.
Furman 384 yards Clemson 377 yards
Furman 5 turnovers Clemson 1 turnover
Furman 5 Sacks
Sorrells 18/28 172 yards

I have no idea what will happen in this game but Furman's FBS struggles have happened in the passing game. I think VT has no idea what they will really see from the Furman D. Barring injuries our speed from the DLine and our new hybrid positions will make this game interesting.

As far as rankings go…IMO Furman is very under-rated. But you play the games on the field. It all starts for real against Colgate. We have more a more accurate measure of Furman then.

You forgot that we held 'old thunder and lightening (Spiller and Davis) to a whopping 36 yrds on the ground.

That game should have been a lot closer. Durn turnovers.

WUTNDITWAA
September 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Dang. I was hoping we'd move up. xlolx :D

fuEMO
September 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Wacky poll - win again next week and you'll be bangin' on the top 5

Hey I know that guy. It's Scott Ginsberg. Great guy by the way.

darell1976
September 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
We got 19 votes...just nice to be mentioned.

Syntax Error
September 1st, 2008, 10:31 PM
The first time in several years that the AGS poll wasn't the first to hit the "presses." WTH? The AGS Poll is the first and best every single year since it started. http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-fcs-preseason-ags-poll-announced&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

xnodx xnodx xbowx xnodx xnodx

putter
September 1st, 2008, 11:49 PM
How did Western Illinois stay so low? They almost beat Arkansas and stay behind Youngstown who was not even competitive.

Syntax Error
September 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
How did Western Illinois stay so low? They almost beat Arkansas and stay behind Youngstown who was not even competitive.look at who they were playing and which had an upstart in-state foe to squash.. err-Tressel-err.

JayJ79
September 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Dang. I was hoping we'd move up. xlolx :D

I rate App #0

OhioHen
September 2nd, 2008, 06:41 AM
WTH? The AGS Poll is the first and best every single year since it started. http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-fcs-preseason-ags-poll-announced&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

xnodx xnodx xbowx xnodx xnodx

Not talking about pre-season polls here, Syntax. For the first time in several years, other polls beat AGS to the punch AT ALL. AGS has consistently been the first poll to announce results on a weekly basis. Unfortunately that didn't happen this week.

UNIFanSince1983
September 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Western should have moved up, but I couldn't have put them ahead of Youngstown simply because of who each team played. I mean everyone is predicting OSU to be in the BCS title game again, while Arkansas is rebuilding with a new coach.

I don't get UNI losing 6 spots after losing what was actually a close game for 3 quarters to the #16 team in FBS, and a team everyone thinks could be this years BCS buster. But hey the lower we are ranked the better I feel because that will make them work harder. Unless they are losing ranking because the keep losing of course.

RabidRabbit
September 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM

That's a GREAT match-up out in SLO! xbowx xbowx Here's hoping that the Horses run circles around them Bars xlolx xlolx

Montana - Nice to see you in to a challenging game - NOT AT WA-GRIZ! xthumbsupx

Out on the plains, #21 SDSU Jackrabbits host #14 Youngstown St. Penguins to INAUGURATE Missouri Valley Football play. The Cereal Bowl xpeacex (we are an ag school) at Coughlin is the place to be in the upper mid-west. xthumbsupx 7PM CDT, 9/6. Look for a RabidRabbit at the tailgating!