PDA

View Full Version : SouthernPigskin Names SoCon Players of the Week

smallcollegefbfan
September 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11830&cat=exclusives

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Good to see Jordan Sorrells up there. I'll be willing to bet that's not the only time his name will appear as OPW

furman94
September 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
Ditto

08Dawg
September 1st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Good to see Andre Roberts getting some love. They don't call him "Electric Socks" for nothin, and he definitely turned up the juice vs. Webber. That was the first time we've had a punt returned for a TD since '99, but I bet it's not the last time we see him blowing past everybody and taking one to the house this year!

fuEMO
September 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Let's see if the SoCon POW are the same? Nope.

Wofford halfback Dane Romero was named Offensive Player of the Week

Appalachian State linebacker Jacque Roman was selected Defensive Player of the Week

The Citadel fullback Asheton Jordan was tabbed Freshman of the Week

Nothing against Romero, but how do you give POW to him based on performance over Sorrells?

The Cats
September 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
SoCon Coach of the Week: Dennis Wagner, Western Carolina

SoCon48
September 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
Stone Cold Butterbean came through!

appfan2008
September 2nd, 2008, 07:18 AM
congrats to all the recipients...

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Let's see if the SoCon POW are the same? Nope.

Wofford halfback Dane Romero was named Offensive Player of the Week

Appalachian State linebacker Jacque Roman was selected Defensive Player of the Week

The Citadel fullback Asheton Jordan was tabbed Freshman of the Week

Nothing against Romero, but how do you give POW to him based on performance over Sorrells?

Considering both played against DII teams and Sorrell's numbers just accounted for pretty much just the first half.

Woof
September 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Actually, PC is in FCS (Big South Conf.)...they are just not playoff eligible until next season. Mars Hill is still D-II. I agree Sorrell's numbers were better, but don't think your opponent was quite as worthy.xpeacex

Considering both played against DII teams and Sorrell's numbers just accounted for pretty much just the first half.

BestOfBreed
September 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM

Wofford played PC which is one of the better teams in the Big South and is DI. Furman played Mars Hill a SAC doormat and also a DII team.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
Wofford played PC which is one of the better teams in the Big South and is DI. Furman played Mars Hill a SAC doormat and also a DII team.

Mars Hill is not a great DII, but they are about a .500 team from what I've read. Granted, no where near a great calibre team, but Furman absolutely methodically dismantled them.

You're right about PC. Had a brain fart.

ashram
September 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
FWIW, Furman scored more points than any other FCS team in week 1, except Weber St. who also scored 62 (but that was against NAIA Montana-Western).

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
FWIW, Furman scored more points than any other FCS team in week 1, except Weber St. who also scored 62 (but that was against NAIA Montana-Western).

Again, not a great team, but they certainly aren't bottom of the barrell. What excites me was Sorrell's game management, few if any penalties, 1 turnover that we got right back. For a first game, it was incredibly crisp.

magman919
September 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Congrats to all the Socon and Southern Pigskin players of the week.
I was at the LSU game and I thought that #31 Pierre Banks had the best game of all the App state defenders. I heard is named called a gazillion times and he seemed to be all over the field.

Just my opinion.