PDA

View Full Version : Richmond justifies ranking.

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2008, 07:18 AM
Dominated a good Elon team, and established themselves as a top 5 team. Josh Vaughn, as expected, showed the Spiders ground attack is still potent without Tim Hightower. Richmond defense may be better as deep throwing teams gave them problems last year, and they did a good job of limiting Riddle and company. A convincing win.

APPALACHIANstate
August 31st, 2008, 07:29 AM
How many did Richmond lose from last year?

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Not many. Hightower was the big loss, but they return just about everybody else, and have some good redshirt freshmen who are now contributing. They also get Sherman Logan back at DE from injury. He's an all-conference player, and along with Sidbury gives them a DE set that is second to none.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the support, Tribe. The key to the game really was our ability to create pressure with the Front 4. We did very little blitzing.

Eight Legger
August 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM
I guess it's a good sign when I can leave the game feeling like Elon's o-line and d-line did a much better job against us than I expected, and yet we still had a dominant win. We had a few big plays, and another one for a TD that was called back, and they only had one. That was the difference. Our D stepped up on a number of third downs when it had to, and Eric Ward showed why he's the best QB in Virginia. Next week he'll show UVA in person.

BTW, I loved seeing us hoist the Virginia and American flags on our way into the stadium and afterwards. Can't wait to see that Virginia flag in Scott Stadium next week.

GannonFan
August 31st, 2008, 09:13 AM
People sleeping on Richmond are just plain silly. They won the CAA last year, beat JMU and UD on the road, and return basically everybody but Hightower and a d-lineman, and Vaughan replaces Hightower pretty nicely. Losing Clawson will hurt the program longterm, but for a year or two, there's just way too much in the cupboard to think Richmond won't be real good. There's a reason the coaches picked Richmond to win the CAA again this year.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM
What was the game plan? SoCon schools were able to defeat Elon last year, but usually it wasn't without first letting them score a lot of points.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM
The game plan was pretty simple - create pressure with the Front 4 and run a balanced offense.

Elon is a good team. The difference last night was the conditioning in the second half. The number of Elon players laying on the field with cramping issues bordered on absurd.

We won this game in the summer...

DTSpider
August 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM
BTW, I loved seeing us hoist the Virginia and American flags on our way into the stadium and afterwards. Can't wait to see that Virginia flag in Scott Stadium next week.

I agree. I really liked that.

furman94
August 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
I don't understand. What happened with the VA flags?

DTSpider
August 31st, 2008, 03:23 PM
UR players carried the US & VA flags onto, and off, the field with them.

furman94
August 31st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Oh... Cool! Kinda like VT... Furman runs on with the F-U-R-M-A-N Flags and the 2 Purple Hurricane Rally Flags. I would love for us to add the SC flag.

URMite
August 31st, 2008, 04:26 PM
People sleeping on Richmond are just plain silly. They won the CAA last year, beat JMU and UD on the road, and return basically everybody but Hightower and a d-lineman, and Vaughan replaces Hightower pretty nicely. Losing Clawson will hurt the program longterm, but for a year or two, there's just way too much in the cupboard to think Richmond won't be real good. There's a reason the coaches picked Richmond to win the CAA again this year.

The other losses were at center (and his replacement went down 2 weeks ago) and both safeties. I'm still waiting to see this year's DB against the run (more corners than safeties...)

I'm not so sure that we will be hurt longterm by the loss of Clawson (I wouldn't have said that the day he left)...London is off to a great start recruiting...Faragelli seems to understand what we need on offense as well, but that is too early to tell. If the recruiting continues and our pass game improvement continues we should be ok.

DTSpider
August 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
The offense will suffer without Clawson. Then again, that's why Clawson is now the OC at UT.

whoanellie
August 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM
UR players carried the US & VA flags onto, and off, the field with them.

If that is not a UofR tradition? it should be now.

you guys played a solid game.

bluehenbillk
August 31st, 2008, 07:23 PM
UR is my #1 ranked team now and I think they beat UVA.

Monarch History
August 31st, 2008, 07:42 PM

I think UR will play VA to a close game. I'm not saying UR will win but I anticipate a great game. Having Coach London who was on the Cavalier's staff last season shouldn't hurt.xthumbsupx

BeauFoster
August 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM

How will you feel if UR is beaten by UVa by 2+ scores? Will you still feel that they are the top team?

(I'm not asking this because you have displaced App, I'm simply asking as a fan)

DTSpider
August 31st, 2008, 08:14 PM
I personally think that ASU remains #1 until they lose an FCS game. One game shouldn't make or break a season. It's too early to say whether UR is really an elite team.

Bettina90
August 31st, 2008, 08:20 PM
UR will not beat UVA, I think they will lose by a margin that will make no impact on any FCS polls. Somewhere between 10 and 24, depending on what happens with turnovers.