PDA

View Full Version : FCS Recap: Poly is the Smacker <--CSN

CSN-info
August 31st, 2008, 05:42 AM
Going into the 2008 season, the big question everyone wanted answered was: Who will be this year’s Appalachian State? Who will be the team that pulls off the biggest upset like last year’s win over Michigan?

Although there are plenty of matchups with FBS teams remaining in the season, the only school on opening weekend who can make a claim to be “this year’s App State” were the Mustangs of Cal Poly, who kicked a field goal in the closing seconds to claim a 29-28 victory over San Diego State.http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=fcs-recap-poly-is-the-smacker&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

JohnStOnge
August 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM
Thank goodness. When I was writing in another thread yesterday I ALMOST wrote that the probability that there would be 0 FCS wins yesterday was so small as to be almost non existent.

But I was really starting to wonder.

Not a good opening weekend for FCS in terms of wins and losses. Some competetive games. Eastern Washington played very respectably against Texas Tech. UC Davis, Western Illinois, Delaware and McNeese all had shots and finished within one score but didn't quite get it done.

The late come from behind wins by San Jose State over UC Davis and Arkansas over Western Illinois were particularly painful.

Really too bad that Western Illinois, Delaware, and McNeese all missed really good shots at beating BCS league teams.

Syntax Error
August 31st, 2008, 08:11 AM
Congratulations to Cal Poly! They are my darkhorse in the FCS title hunt this year. We'll see next week against Montana.

Uncle Buck
August 31st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Great W for Cal Poly, i'm sure SDSU was gunning for you. Great efforts as well to all of the above mentioned teams. It looked like we were going to get a few W's yesterday but came up just short. I know moral victories don't count, but losing it late in the game sometimes just comes down to fresh legs and the depth of scholarships, that's all. Even the playing field in terms of scholarships, those games swing in a different direction.

catamount man
August 31st, 2008, 08:29 AM
Losing 2 years in a row to Cal Poly may have just sealed Chuck Long's fate. Congrats CP!!! xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Ronbo
August 31st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Congratulations to Cal Poly! They are my darkhorse in the FCS title hunt this year. We'll see next week against Montana.

I don't think we're ready for them with all the youngin's. They are talented but it will take 4-5 games to get to D-1 speed for the Griz. This Cal Poly game is too early and at San Luis Obispo.xsmhx If we win it will be an upset. I will predict we don't turn the ball over 6 times like SDSU.xnodx

AppGrad06
August 31st, 2008, 09:18 AM
Congrats to CP. and condolences to Western Illinois, they got shafted on that lack of a pass interference call.

Proud Griz Man
August 31st, 2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=fcs-recap-poly-is-the-smacker&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Congratulations to Cal Poly. I knew they had an opportunity last night and they controlled SDSU start-to-finish. xthumbsupx

UC-Davis nearly upset San Jose State too. Delaware played Maryland tough.

didn't see details of WIU: "condolences to Western Illinois, they got shafted on that lack of a pass interference call."

mistersykes
August 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM
Congrats to Cal Poly for putting up the only FCS upset so far. I knew y'all could do it again. Here's hoping for a better week (with some wins, not just competitive games!) vs. FBS teams for the rest of us next week.

Stang Fever
August 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Congrats to Cal Poly for putting up the only FCS upset so far. I knew y'all could do it again. Here's hoping for a better week (with some wins, not just competitive games!) vs. FBS teams for the rest of us next week.

I wouldnt go as far as calling it an "UPSET" cal poly had more than a favorable chance at winning this game. WIth the most people saying it would be a toss up. An upset is when you have less than favorable odds of winning

mistersykes
August 31st, 2008, 01:22 PM
I wouldnt go as far as calling it an "UPSET" cal poly had more than a favorable chance at winning this game. WIth the most people saying it would be a toss up. An upset is when you have less than favorable odds of winning

True, and I realize that. I should have put quotes around "upset".xthumbsupx

Stang Fever
August 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM
True, and I realize that. I should have put quotes around "upset".xthumbsupx

Its funny how those little quotes go a long wayyyy ;-)

grizband
August 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM

Cal Poly is my darkhorse as well, and I believe the Cal Poly/Montana match up will be a huge game next week.