PDA

View Full Version : FCS getting slaughtered opening weekend

aust42
August 30th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Looks like a lot of lopsided losses by the FCS vs FBS today. Yesterday was embarassing. Looks like Cal Poly is our only hope today.

JayJ79
August 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM
There are always alot of lopsided losses in these games.
The only difference is that this year, there weren't the usual few upsets of upper tier FCS teams beating mid/low teir FBS.

Grizaholic17
August 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM
And we wonder why they pay us to play them.

xnonono2x xnonono2x

It'ss okay, now we can focus on the best football there is to offer. FCS purely.

Green26
August 31st, 2008, 12:14 AM
I blame this all on App St--with their win over Michigan last year.

No top I-A team is going to overlook a good I-AA team for the next couple years.

patssle
August 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM
You folks are way too obsessed about FCS vs FBS.

mvemjsunpx
August 31st, 2008, 02:22 AM
There are always a lot of lopsided losses. What were you expecting?

I was more surprised by how many unexpectedly close games there were. I didn't think McNeese would only lose to UNC by 8. I didn't think WIU would even play Arkansas close, much less lose by just 4. Delaware only lost to MD by 7, etc.

The disappointment for FCS this week wasn't getting blown out several times by FBSers, it was the potential upset wins that got away late.

CamelCityAppFan
August 31st, 2008, 07:12 AM
As was said earlier, we're seeing fallout from the Michigan effect. Might have been the difference in some of the closer ones.

There's no reason to get all worked up about-- all the FCS teams that got pummelled by an FBS yesterday also got a nice check and good experience, which is why they play those games.

And don't forget that later this year, in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when the FBS folks are busy with their spreadsheets and sliderules trying to figure out who's going to win their annual "National Championship Game Invitation" lottery-- we get playoff football.

jonmac
August 31st, 2008, 07:34 AM
The planets of the college football galaxy have fallen back pretty much in perfect allignment. It's OK, now onto the championship.

JohnStOnge
August 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
There are always a lot of lopsided losses. What were you expecting?

I was more surprised by how many unexpectedly close games there were. I didn't think McNeese would only lose to UNC by 8. I didn't think WIU would even play Arkansas close, much less lose by just 4. Delaware only lost to MD by 7, etc.

The disappointment for FCS this week wasn't getting blown out several times by FBSers, it was the potential upset wins that got away late.

The most disappointing thing about the McNeese game is that the Cowboys controlled the game in terms of moving the football consistently. Just couldn't do a good enough job on special teams and gave up big plays in key situations. Like giving up a 57 yard TD pass on 3rd and 6 as well as giving up a 71 yard completion followed by a personal foul penalty when they had UNC pinned at their own 11 yard line in a third and 10 situation.

But...that's part of what BCS teams have...talented big play guys.

Anyway, the game certainly wasn't a mismatch by any stretch of the imagination.

Syntax Error
August 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM
You folks are way too obsessed about FCS vs FBS.Uh, this IS the national FCS Discussion board. We share D-I with FBS. Excuse us if we want to beat them. xrolleyesx

Perhaps you would like to join another board where you don't have to read FCS talk?

catamount man
August 31st, 2008, 08:24 AM
Don't worry guys. When WCU knocks Papa Bowden off this week, you guys will have something to talk about. HA!!!!

Hey, I can hope can't I. Seriously, I just want NO injuries and for WCU to show up and compete. If we do win though, I'll be dancing in the streets. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
August 31st, 2008, 08:45 AM
It aint over yet... we played Tech very tough today... a couple passes not dropped, that fumble recovery NOT overturned... and we would have pulled the upset today. Tech fans shut up real quick on the message boards after we started driving on them and stopping Harrell and gang on downs. I think we have a lot better shot at Colorado next week... it'll be close.