PDA

View Full Version : Will App State be #1?

wkuhillhound
August 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
After LSU beating App State today. Will they still be #1?

appstate38
August 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
no, not with the performances of JMU, and others so far today

da_Bison
August 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
yes, they are 3 time FCS Champs with good second half against an EXCELLENT FBS opponent. WHO in the FCS world would have done better against LSU? I rest my case

smallcollegefbfan
August 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
no, not with the performances of JMU, and others so far today

In all due respect to the performances of JMU and McNeese but JMU was picked by some to win and McNeese was given a good chance too. Nobody really thought ASU would beat LSU. With those games going as planned I will not be changing my #1 team when I cast my ballot for the AGS poll.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Duke does not equal LSU.
Neither game really meant anything.
App has won 3 Championships in a row.

yes.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
you put any team in the country outside the AP top 25 (and some within it)....they get beat by 28 by LSU, or worse. IMO.

Grizalltheway
August 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Duke does not equal LSU.

yes.

Isn't the poll supposed to reflect this season?

JMUSaxMRD
August 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
And the JMU Duke game isn't over... Duke is killing us now.

Mountaineer
August 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Out of the Top 25. Definitely.

Apparently, we've lost the SoCon too. :D

CamelCityAppFan
August 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know who will be # 1 after this week, not sure it really matters. In my view, polls don't start meaning much until after the 4th or 5th week, once there is enough trend data for voters to properly evaluate.

BeauFoster
August 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM
LSU > Maryland
LSU > Duke

Should ASU be number 1? I don't know, that's up to the informed pollsters at the Sports Network and such to decide. Until we are about 4 weeks into the season, it doesn't mean doo-doo anyway. Heck, as long as we are in Boone for three playoff games before heading to Chattanooga, I don't care where ASU is ranked!

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Certainly ASU should not have to win to keep the #1 spot. If I was voting in the AGS poll I would have them at #1 unless JMU absolutely stomps Duke. But my gut feeling says App. won't be as good this year as they have been the previous two years.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Isn't the poll supposed to reflect this season?

ill buy that, but if so, why were we number 1 preseason?.................

cause theres not enough info to change it.

Mountaineer
August 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
But my gut feeling says App. won't be as good this year as they have been the previous two years.

Possibly, but it's way too early to start writing that chapter (a la PaladinFan xlolx). I thought our defense played a respectable second half and we're not going to see anything like LSU again this year.

Just gotta teach the boys how to catch and hold onto the ball. :p

elcid96
August 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
In all due respect to the performances of JMU and McNeese but JMU was picked to win by most and McNeese was given a good chance too. Nobody really thought ASU would beat LSU. With those games going as planned I will not be changing my #1 team when I cast my ballot for the AGS poll. If ASU struggles at all next week then they should drop down IMO.

What good performance from JMU is everyone talking about? They are losing 28-0 in the third qtr.xconfusedx

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What good performance from JMU is everyone talking about? They are losing 28-0 in the third qtr.xconfusedx

i was wondering the same thing?

Mountain Panther
August 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
We were only down to the #15 team in FBS 27-17 with 10 minutes left in the game. I certainly don't think we should FALL in the rankings.

ASU_MBA
August 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
App should stay #1

Richmond showed a strong performance against a good Elon team.

yikes for JMU against Duke. I expected them to win this game. Landers has made a ton of mistakes I guess....1 fumble 1 INT 3/8 passing, all he is doing is running the ball.....

Tough day for us.....
LSU just brought way too much power on D-line and O-line and we some how forgot to catch the ball.

BeauFoster
August 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
It's too difficult to compare teams this early in the season, virtually no one is playing in division. Just another reason that preseason polls aren't worth printing. Wait until October and then put something out.

appst97
August 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Who Cares, all I want to know is who is coming to Boone for Thanksgiving?

bluehenbillk
August 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Gotta re-look at the top teams but I expected more outta ASU today, certainly not to win but to compete which they didn't from what I hear.

Col Hogan
August 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
It's too difficult to compare teams this early in the season, virtually no one is playing in division. Just another reason that preseason polls aren't worth printing. Wait until October and then put something out.

Exactly....xthumbsupx

APPALACHIANstate
August 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Don't care, lets just make it to the playoffs then all bets are off!

smallcollegefbfan
August 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Certainly ASU should not have to win to keep the #1 spot. If I was voting in the AGS poll I would have them at #1 unless JMU absolutely stomps Duke. But my gut feeling says App. won't be as good this year as they have been the previous two years.

I agree with that. If you look at the ASU depth chart they are loaded with sophomores and juniors and 2009 should be their next title year. My prediction is a top 5-10 season but no title but are back in the title game in 2009.

smallcollegefbfan
August 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
We were only down to the #15 team in FBS 27-17 with 10 minutes left in the game. I certainly don't think we should FALL in the rankings.

If a team slightly ahead of you guys loses I say you move up. In past years I have moved up FCS teams for surprise showings against FBS teams. UNI looked better than I thought they would so they deserve to at least stay the same, if not move up.

patssle
August 30th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I would normally say a ranking should not be affected by a loss to a FBS team. However, we were given the oppourtunity of watching this game. This wasn't a simple case of being overmatched, App State performed poorly in areas that they should of excelled regardless of the competition (catching the ball).

CID1990
August 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
FCS performance against FBS teams does not have a very large effect on rankings unless the FCS team wins. JMU would have had to beat Duke, and then only maybe. Rankings mean nothing until November anyway.

Grizaholic17
August 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Appy will not be number 1. The polls work based on performance during the week. Some teams performed better than ASU.

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Well, were I voting this year, I'm not sure I'd feel compelled to put someone else in the #1 spot

Except maybe Cal Poly if A) they can hold off San Diego State, and B) if I had them that close to the top spot

ASU likely won't be the unanimous or near-unanimous #1 they were coming into the weekend

It wouldn't surprise me to see them drop a spot or two

Based on what else I've seen today, I would be shocked if you could legitimately drop App. out of the Top 5, but that's just my xtwocentsx

Luckily, it doesn't really matter, right? xsmiley_wix

JayJ79
August 30th, 2008, 11:40 PM

depends which rankings we're talking about, I guess.
I wouldn't be surprised if Richmond jumped over us (from their #4 spot into our #3 spot) in the TSN rankings, since they beat a top 25 FCS team. But they're already ahead of us by a couple spots on the AGS poll.

But who knows. As has been stated by others, rankings don't mean jack squat this early in the season.

GOKATS
August 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Appy will not be number 1. The polls work based on performance during the week. Some teams performed better than ASU.

Other teams didn't play LSU on the road. Granted I wasn't all that impressed, but they'll still get my #1 vote this week.

Eaglegus2
August 31st, 2008, 12:09 AM
Other teams didn't play LSU on the road. Granted I wasn't all that impressed, but they'll still get my #1 vote this week.

Exactly!!!!!!xthumbsupx

Green26
August 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM
No team should move down. Delaware and Cal Poly, and any other team that stayed close to a credible I-A team, should move up a bit.

Unless one of the other top 10 I-AA teams won or did very well today (I haven't been watching), then ASU should remain no. 1.

uofmman1122
August 31st, 2008, 12:11 AM
Why wouldn't they be #1?

Real question is, will Cal Poly and Richmond move up as much as they deserve?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 31st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Until a 1AA beats App State...they should remain #1.

CamelCityAppFan
August 31st, 2008, 07:32 AM

Umm, no, that's not how polls work. Polls are the ranking of the voter's opinions. The current week's performance by any given team is going to be a factor that varies from voter to voter, and might have more weight later in the season than earlier in the season-- who knows?

Thundar
August 31st, 2008, 09:30 AM
I thought Delaware played a stellar Game, they looked good on both sides of the ball!

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Yes,

They still belong as No. 1

EVERYONE should now see the difference in the quality of an LSU vs a Michigan.

Michigan had no business in the top 20 last year. LSU is a legit top 5 team with that offensive line ALONE.

An

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Yes,

They still belong as No. 1

EVERYONE should now see the difference in the quality of an LSU vs a Michigan.

Michigan had no business in the top 20 last year. LSU is a legit top 5 team with that offensive line ALONE.

And oh yea, LSU's Defense does not exactly suck either. ;)

Eight Legger
August 31st, 2008, 10:37 AM
App is still #1. I thought they would lose by 30+ and they did better than that, so no reason to bump them down. JMU will tumble a bit as they should. We should move up to 2 or 3, and Delaware earned a bump upwards too.

CopperCat
August 31st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Duke does not equal LSU.

yes.

Polls are based on current teams, not past championships. In my mind, past seasons are irrelevant, especially the two seasons before last season. The 07' NC game might have a small impact in my #1 vote, but it doesn't matter how many championships App has won.

skinny_uncle
August 31st, 2008, 12:01 PM
There are not a lot of ranked teams who won this weekend. I think Cal-Poly is the only one who stepped up a class and won. I have no idea how it will sort out.

mainejeff
August 31st, 2008, 12:12 PM
My top 5 would be:

1. Richmond
2. Cal Poly
3. North Dakota State
4. Georgia Southern
5. Delaware

CharlestonAppFan
August 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM
My top 5 would be:

1. Richmond
2. Cal Poly
3. North Dakota State
4. Georgia Southern
5. Delaware

xeyebrowx No App based on......what? Hatred?

furman94
August 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
GSU? Why? They played decent, but still got beat, and have yet to prove themselves.

smallcollegefbfan
August 31st, 2008, 02:37 PM
Polls are based on current teams, not past championships. In my mind, past seasons are irrelevant, especially the two seasons before last season. The 07' NC game might have a small impact in my #1 vote, but it doesn't matter how many championships App has won.

Regardless nobody else played ASU and while I don't see ASU winning a 4th straight title I can't drop them until they lose to a FCS team or show poorly. If they only beat Jacksonville by 14-17 points then I would look at dropping them. A 35-45 point win is what I expect from them next week, maybe more.

uofmman1122
August 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
FWIW, I'd vote top 5:

1. App. State
2. Cal Poly
3. Richmond
4. JMU
5. Delaware

But honestly, it doesn't really matter much at Week 2, guys. For all we know, one or more of these teams might not be top 10 at the end of the season. xcoffeex

CopperCat
August 31st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Who really cares where you are in the polls anyway? It's all just a shuffling of early season crap that doesn't mean a damn thing. What matters is how you play week in and week out, and if things work out well your team will be playing in December when everybody else is sitting at home watching. If there are people complaining about where people are putting them in the "polls" then they are putting emphasis on the wrong things. Showing up to the game and helping out your home team is what is important, not the AGS poll.

mainejeff
August 31st, 2008, 04:23 PM
xeyebrowx No App based on......what? Hatred?

Ummmm.....based on RESULTS.

xcoffeex

mainejeff
August 31st, 2008, 04:25 PM
FWIW, I'd vote top 5:

1. App. State
2. Cal Poly
3. Richmond
4. JMU
5. Delaware

But honestly, it doesn't really matter much at Week 2, guys. For all we know, one or more of these teams might not be top 10 at the end of the season. xcoffeex

But if it doesn't matter........why not reward teams that did well in Week 1???

xcoffeex

AppAlum2003
August 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM

xcoffeex

App and GSU are both 0 - 1. Those are results.

uofmman1122
August 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
But if it doesn't matter........why not reward teams that did well in Week 1???

xcoffeex1. App. State
2. Cal Poly
3. Richmond
4. JMU
5. Delaware

All three earned a top five, IMO. JMU went down to 4 from 2, and ASU played LSU. How in the world can you hold that against them?

mainejeff
August 31st, 2008, 04:39 PM
App and GSU are both 0 - 1. Those are results.

Sorry....was more impressed with GSU's effort......sue me.

xcoffeex

mainejeff
August 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM
and ASU played LSU. How in the world can you hold that against them?

I don't hold it against them.......but there were dozens of other teams that played this weekend too......and some were more impressive IN MY OPINION. xthumbsupx

Dang......some of you are chompin' at the bit. xrolleyesx

IaaScribe
August 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM
Georgia Southern was down 38-0 and scored some points in the fourth quarter to make the score look respectable. How are you impressed by that?

Screamin_Eagle174
August 31st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Georgia Southern was down 38-0 and scored some points in the fourth quarter to make the score look respectable. How are you impressed by that?

Seriously. EWU was down 21-0 at the end of 1, then beat no. 12 Texas Tech 17-7 in the second to keep the game manageable, if not winnable. I say we stay the same, if not move up a spot or two.

McNeese75
August 31st, 2008, 07:06 PM
Seriously. EWU was down 21-0 at the end of 1, then beat no. 12 Texas Tech 17-7 in the second to keep the game manageable, if not winnable. I say we stay the same, if not move up a spot or two.

Congrats on that win. That really was a good showing xthumbsupx

Pantherpower
August 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
UNI needs more of a voice in this discussion, so I'm chiming in. I was at the game and the Panthers came out on fire in the 2nd half against BYU and stunned the stadium when the sack and fumble recovery made it 27-17.

The Panthers then got the ball back after forcing a fumble and drove it down the field before failing to convert on a 4th and 3 inside the BYU 30. Our scores were against the BYU 1st team, who remained in the entire game.

BYU fans left the stadium like they'd lost the game and were giving props to UNI saying that our team was better than many of the MWC teams they've faced at LVS. Anyhow, it would be a shame to see the Panthers drop after the effort they put forth in Provo, UT yesterday afternoon.

proasu89
August 31st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Congrats on that win. That really was a good showing xthumbsupx

What did Ricky Bobby say? "Second place is first loser".xlolx

We outscored LSU in the second half. A big ol heapin of Jack Squat is all that will get you.xnodx

OhioHen
August 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM

Not in my poll. Your first phrase answers your question. ASU lost; they will not be number one.

proasu89
August 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM
Not in my poll. Your first phrase answers your question. ASU lost; they will not be number one.

Ya'll can take turns holding down that #1 spot. We'll just wait until the third Friday of December to take our turn;)

SonuvaHenx2
August 31st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Not to me either. They won't fall far, but Richmond at preseason 3 beating a 15th ranked Elon gives them big points. North Dakota State also won. They are the only two in the top five preseason not to fall, and the rankings should reflect that. The rankings don't mean much at all this early in the season anyway, more of a formality than anything.

Eight Legger
August 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Actually, the rankings DO mean a lot, because the higher you get early, the harder it is for you to fall too far, and that will pay dividends when it comes time for the FCS Bowl Selection Show and....oh yeah, nevermind.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 31st, 2008, 08:15 PM
What did Ricky Bobby say? "Second place is first loser".xlolx

We outscored LSU in the second half. A big ol heapin of Jack Squat is all that will get you.xnodx

After Miles took out his starters... xlolx

Eastern played against the Tech starters the entire game. xthumbsupx

ericsaid
August 31st, 2008, 08:21 PM

LSU you had their starters in the entire game, or atleast until App pulled their starters.xnonox

So no. The last field goal was just to get experience for Vitares, but the other two scores were while the game still had both sides starters.

AppStateSVX
August 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ya'll can take turns holding down that #1 spot. We'll just wait until the third Friday of December to take our turn;)

amen to that :D

proasu89
August 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Actually, the rankings DO mean a lot, because the higher you get early, the harder it is for you to fall too far, and that will pay dividends when it comes time for the FCS Bowl Selection Show and....oh yeah, nevermind.

xlolx xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
August 31st, 2008, 09:35 PM

Play a top ten team (FBS) and then talk. Like the smack considering you guys lost to us last year and still haven't really won anything. Guess that's all you can do. xpeacex

Saint3333
August 31st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Richmond was #2 in my poll and will be #1 in my poll this week. Cal Poly will be the biggest upward mover.

There are a lot of questions around ASU given the line play and the missed assignments (two ugly TDs were a result) against LSU. We really won't know how good ASU is until Sept. 20th.

SoCon48
August 31st, 2008, 10:27 PM

xcoffeex

Results? Hell most of the FCS top 10 would have fared much worse. Some of us have the stones to actually schedule somebody.xrulesx

SoCon48
August 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM

Bull****! LSU had their starters in until the last 8 minutes.

mainejeff
September 1st, 2008, 02:22 AM
Results? Hell most of the FCS top 10 would have fared much worse. Some of us have the stones to actually schedule somebody.xrulesx

I deal in wins and losses (ie. reality).......not ifs, ands, and buts.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 1st, 2008, 05:04 AM
Play a top ten team (FBS) and then talk. Like the smack considering you guys lost to us last year and still haven't really won anything. Guess that's all you can do. xpeacex

We did. Two years ago we got our asses stomped by #6 West Virginia. Then again, that was Nichols' first college start, and our team was laden with redshirt freshmen after we lost 14 starters from the year prior, including All-American Eric Kimble and Walter Payton winner Erik Meyer. xthumbsupx

All in all, EWU played a lot more complete game against no. 12 Tech than Appy did against LSU. xpeacex

SoCon48
September 1st, 2008, 06:25 AM

I understand. Guess that's why you avoid U Maine's performance and schedule the last couple years???xcoffeex
Too, it would be difficult to participate in a discussion of reality of wins and losses if Monmouth and Shaw had to be included.

appfan2008
September 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM
I wont have app number one... not sure yet who i will... assuming we can ever vote!

ASUMountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM
We did. Two years ago we got our asses stomped by #6 West Virginia. Then again, that was Nichols' first college start, and our team was laden with redshirt freshmen after we lost 14 starters from the year prior, including All-American Eric Kimble and Walter Payton winner Erik Meyer. xthumbsupx

All in all, EWU played a lot more complete game against no. 12 Tech than Appy did against LSU. xpeacex

If only you guys would have done that well against a #5 FCS team last year in Boone. Oh well.

I like that you brought up your team's vulnerabilities against WVU. We lost over half of our starters on defense. We also lost two of our leading receivers and Appalachian's all time leading rusher. I don't have a problem with you commenting on App's loss, but you tried to talk a little smack, had no choice but to call you out.

I would love to see Texas Tech play LSU and see what the score would be. "Comparing" games is about as useful of riding a teeter-totter with Michael Moore.

However, if you insist. In 2005 LSU beat us 24-0, that same year LSU beat Miami (FL) 40-3 in the Peach Bowl. How about comparing that? Would you thus deduct that ASU was better than Miami in 2005? xlolx

APPALACHIANstate
September 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Comparing how one team did against FBS to another is ridiculous. It is impossible to tell exactly how long someone had their starters in and other similar problems. APP did not do well at all against LSU, I would not say they even had a solid game. I have no problem with App not being number 1. Especially since this is FCS. All I want is for them to win and make it to the playoffs, then the fun begins.

IndianaAppMan
September 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
I don't know how long anyone else has been following college football, but it seems extremely premature to think that it even matters where a team is ranked this early in the season.

1. Last year, App was number one since they were defending champs and since they beat formidable BCS foe Michigan... until they lost to Wofford and Ga. Southern.

2. UNI was number one for a long while, having beaten a BCS foe Iowa State and having gone UNDEFEATED in the tough Gateway conference... until they lost in the playoffs to Delaware.

3. Indeed, App ended the year number one, as the preseason predicted, but even the most loyal App fan knew that was unpredictable, especially when JMU had the ball in the red zone down only one with under 30 seconds.

So, then, even if App drops from number one, who can say that they won't return in the end? Who can say, for certain, that they will? As Northern Iowa showed (sadly for Panthers fans), who can say the next number one will finish there, if indeed App is replaced?

In summary, rankings, especially, are pretty poor predictors of what really matters, which is the END RESULTS. In the FBS world, Clemson & Alabama certainly that for us all.

At the very least, let's all get two or three conference games under our belts before we start taking rankings seriously.

AppAlum2003
September 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM

So if you deal in wins and losses, explain your ranking of GSU earlier. I gave you the stats of wins and loses (both teams 0 - 1) and you went on to say that GSU impressed you more in their loss. Could you contradict yourself a few more times please? xconfusedx

IndianaAppMan
September 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
So if you deal in wins and losses, explain your ranking of GSU earlier. I gave you the stats of wins and loses (both teams 0 - 1) and you went on to say that GSU impressed you more in their loss. Could you contradict yourself a few more times please? xconfusedx

I deal in wins and losses. When comparing two teams that lost, I look at the margin of loss. Therefore, I rank Elon ahead of App because they only lost by 18. It doesn't matter what the quality of the opponent was or what the teams have proven over time. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xlolx xlolx xlolx

straightshooter
September 1st, 2008, 10:26 AM
GSU was pretty impressive in the second half against UGA. They did move the ball in the first half against the Dawgs' #1 defense, missed a short FG and on the next drive got to the UGA 1 yard line. Actually GSU's freshman RB Urbano got half his body across the goal line, but the official put it on the 1. Not sure what he was seeing. TV replay clearly shows he scored. GSU threw an interception on the back of the end zone to stop that drive. So the Eagles left 10 points off the board in the first half. All three of GSU's TDs were scored by freshmen.

They did score against a mix of UGA #1's and 2's twice. The third score in the fourth quarter was against UGA's 4 star scrubs.

GSU had almost 300 yards of offense, and except for a few big plays, they played the Dawgs really tough. Factor in that GSU played 24 freshmen and eight others that had never played in a GSU uniform, and I'd say the Eagles did OK.

The UGA faithful are not at all happy that the Eagles scored 21 on them, and they are well aware that it could have easily been 31.

CCU97
September 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
I think App St will still be #1. My reasoning is that no other FCS team that played an FBS team played one with the talent LSU has on their team. Just because they beat Mich. last year people expected that they could hang with a top 10 team( a real one). I think they did a pretty good job against a team that was a great deal faster, bigger, and stronger. The FCS teams that did well (with the exception of GSU) did so against relatively poor FBS teams(Duke, Minn., Maryland, ect).

The Cats
September 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
It doesn't matter what the quality of the opponent was or what the teams have proven over time.

Oh really.......

spdram
September 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
ASU should have it still, and they can have it, the Spiders don't want it until the final poll in December.;)

OL FU
September 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Comparing how one team did against FBS to another is ridiculous.

xnodx xnodx

I said it before. I have watched really good Furman teams barely beat bad IA teams. I have watched really good Furman teams play well against really good I-A teams and I have watched really good FU teams get clobbered by mediocre I-A teams.

The Richmond win was impressive. I am not taking anything away from their win but this early in the season all games have to be looked at from the perspective of where we are in the season. It could very well be that Elon is over rated. It could very well be that Elon is not over rated and Richmond is that good.

If you think ASU should fall because they lost to LSU then I suppose you think JMU should be out of the top 25 for getting trounced by Duke.xnodx

Giving Richmond credit for this win is fine but I wouldn't take points away from anyone that lost to an FBS team any more than I would give points to somebody for losing a close one.

ASUG8
September 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
xnodx xnodx

I said it before. I have watched really good Furman teams barely beat bad IA teams. I have watched really good Furman teams play well against really good I-A teams and I have watched really good FU teams get clobbered by mediocre I-A teams.

The Richmond win was impressive. I am not taking anything away from their win but this early in the season all games have to be looked at from the perspective of where we are in the season. It could very well be that Elon is over rated. It could very well be that Elon is not over rated and Richmond is that good.

If you think ASU should fall because they lost to LSU then I suppose you think JMU should be out of the top 25 for getting trounced by Duke.xnodx

Giving Richmond credit for this win is fine but I wouldn't take points away from anyone that lost to an FBS team any more than I would give points to somebody for losing a close one.

Agreed - good showings for EWU, McNeese, GSU, and Richmond this weekend. I was surprised that JMU didn't do a bit better against Duke, but I thought we'd do better in Baton Rouge alsoxbawlingx

Overall, I think you keep ASU at the top - that loss was expected. Elon's stock was diminished a bit this week, but I certainly wouldn't drop them from the top 25. Richmond goes to top 5, GSU up a couple of spots, bump McNeese up a couple also. None of this really begins to matter until the next couple of weeks.

Bison101
September 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

not to be an NDSU troll, but I must put my 10-cents worth in.

I haven't hardly heard any discussion of NDSU around this thread. For one, we are ranked #2, and that certainly outdoes Furman, GSU, and the others that are put up on a pedestal on this thread.

As forASU..... NDSU is much like LSU in our defense. I would've expected higher numbers for the FCS CHAMP. Perhaps you'd do the same against NDSU in the postseason.

Third of all, we might be like a dark horse this year. Since it is our first year of eligibility, some might count us out. TSK, tsk, tsk.

The point is, I think NDSU should be acknowleged as more of a power. Anyways, good luck everyone, including App. St.

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

Not to be an NDSU troll....

You just failed miserably with this post. xlolx xlolx

AP is no where near the quality of the I-A teams that many of us faced this past weekend. And please don't compare your defense to LSU. That's crack pipe talk. The comparison is absolutely ridiculous.

bluehenbillk
September 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'll have UR at #1, dropped App to #6.

ASUG8
September 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

I haven't hardly heard any discussion of NDSU around this thread. For one, we are ranked #2, and that certainly outdoes Furman, GSU, and the others that are put up on a pedestal on this thread.

As forASU..... NDSU is much like LSU in our defense. I would've expected higher numbers for the FCS CHAMP. Perhaps you'd do the same against NDSU in the postseason.

Third of all, we might be like a dark horse this year. Since it is our first year of eligibility, some might count us out. TSK, tsk, tsk.

The point is, I think NDSU should be acknowleged as more of a power.

Anyways, good luck everyone, including App. St.

Laying the smack down on Austin Peepee in the first game and having your first FCS win is empowering. However, play a powerhouse in your first game (like GSU and ASU) and you'll be included in this ranking. I'm maintaining a neutral ranking on NDSU - not better or worse given the weekend. Maybe NDSU is as good as advertised, and we'll find out as the season progresses.

SonuvaHenx2
September 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM
For one, we are ranked #2, and that certainly outdoes Furman, GSU, and the others that are put up on a pedestal on this thread.

Since it is our first year of eligibility, some might count us out.

The point is, I think NDSU should be acknowleged as more of a power.

What about Richmond, at #3 and getting a win against a strong FCS team?

As for counting you out or not acknowledging you as a power...why would you have been ranked #2 preseason if that were the case?!?xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
September 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

The point is, I think NDSU should be acknowleged as more of a power. Anyways, good luck everyone, including App. St.Holy crap!

I don't know what flavor of Kool-Aid you guys have over in Fargo, but I need to get me some of that!

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM~! xlolx

BTW, we'll acknowledge you as a power if you win a playoff game. xnodxxwhistlex

Gully
September 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Appy will still be #1....no one will blame them for losing to LSU. Polls this early don't mean much anyway, but for what it's worth, if they were number one before the game, they should be number one after the game.

da_Bison
September 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

The point is, I think NDSU should be acknowleged as more of a power. Anyways, good luck everyone, including App. St.

Damn...... who writes ***** like that...... We have respect, have you been living in a hole? We're ranked #2!! I personally would rather not see a #1 ranking till Mid season at best, we'll be there in the end that's really all that matters. We've got a tough road to hoe with Wyoming, UNI, WIU, SIU, YSU, SDSU. No chest pounding quit yet.

bombDiggiD
September 1st, 2008, 01:54 PM
NDSU has plenty of respect.

App State should continue to stay #1. It's LSU for crying out loud.

And I'm an NDSU fan.

AppIAA
September 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM

Well damn.. NDSU has one of the best defensive lines ever?!?!?! Thats weird.. figured Georgia Southern would since they got 543598 18 star recruits this off season xsmiley_wix

Just as what everyone else has said, NDSU got respect with a #2 ranking..

BeauFoster
September 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM
NDSU is much like LSU in our defense.

JDC325
September 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM

They should be. What other FCS team would have done any better?

Retro
September 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM
I want to post my thoughts from the GSU/APP thread as they are relevent to this question....

I did watch the LSU/APP game and i can tell you that APP played bad in the 1st half , but rebounded somewhat in the 2nd half.. Enough to make the game respectable.. That being said, this LSU team is not anywhere near last year's, but i would compare them to last year's Michigan team minus the bad start to the season. Remember, Michigan ended up 8-4 and in a bowl game... LSU seemed to simply out scheme App on a few plays and execute them perfectly and app had no offensive rhythm.

Now, LSU did sub more in the second half, but app's problem was they rely too much on Edwards for nearly every play.. No running game whatsoever and of course dropped passes... Everyone knew App wasn't going to sneak up on LSU, but from what i saw this App team has a lot of work to match last year's form and LSU while still a very good team seemed to just want to get the game over with in the second half.. The mood of the game was very sleepy, for lack of a better word.

This LSU team will win 8-9 games, but Bama and Auburn will likely win the SEC west, but app getting behind by so much early allowed LSU to just coast in the second half.

That's not to say App isn't going to be good team, but from what i saw yesterday, i can think of several other teams that deserve that #1 spot at this point in the year.. Either way, it will all work itself out over the next 11 weeks..

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
NDSU has plenty of respect.

App State should continue to stay #1. It's LSU for crying out loud.

And I'm an NDSU fan.
NDSU is the highest ranked team that won last weekend. That is why they would be considered. Many is the time teams have dropped in the polls around here after losing to an FBS team. The only rankings that matter around here in the long run is the one when the playoffs get underway and at the end of the season.

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
The game was plagued by dropped passes and blown blocking assignments on the o-line. App's o-line was absolutely dominated from the second drive on. Armanti was harassed throughout the game by the LSU d-line who played the entire game. Armanti was sacked only twice though which for anyone who watched the game can say is remarkable. The first drive is the App. team i'd expect to see in the coming weeks.(Up until the drive stalled because of dropped passes.)

There were 8 dropped passes in the game that the Anouncers said they counted. That would've made Armanti 21-33 for 200+ yards with those caught passes. If I were another team and App's recievers can start catching the ball i'd be worried.

uofmman1122
September 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
If I were another team and App's recievers can start catching the ball i'd be worried.Hope that's not a big IF...xwhistlex

SoCon48
September 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM
IMOP, it could be argued much more logically that App shouldn't have been ranked #1 to start with, but nothing happened on Saturday to change their position.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
IMOP, it could be argued much more logically that App shouldn't have been ranked #1 to start with, but nothing happened on Saturday to change their position.

xthumbsupx

appstate38
September 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Didn't read the entire thread so this may have been covered already, but did it seem like Armanti was only looking for Coco the entire game. I don't think T.J. Courman had a ball thrown to him the entire game. It seemed that the Wideouts may have been a little timid or maybe the heat was getting to them. But I may just be making excuses for so many dropped balls.

Rekdiver
September 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
I reserve my right to vote after the JMU game.....

SoCon48
September 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Didn't read the entire thread so this may have been covered already, but did it seem like Armanti was only looking for Coco the entire game. I don't think T.J. Courman had a ball thrown to him the entire game. It seemed that the Wideouts may have been a little timid or maybe the heat was getting to them. But I may just be making excuses for so many dropped balls.

An equally good question would be why didn't anybody else get open more?
Watching the tape, it was obvious that Armanti threw to the one who was open quickest and most often. LSU pass rushers were coming through from many gaps. He was running for his life 90% of the time and really didn't have time to eeny meeny miney mo.
All in all, everybody had a chance to drop one or two. If the guy isn't open on first glance, he doesn't get a second look.
App had 6 different players catch passes and at least 8 diff guys have passes thrown to them. .
CoCo was a primary target too because of his ability to make a play after the catch, but LSU had that aspect covered quite well.xcoolx

Regardless, you have a point based on the # of passes thrown to CoCo overall. I think AE and the staff felt that CoCo would break one sooner or later.

GGASU
September 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
No reason for ASU to keep #1 after that preformance.

Tired of hearing that no one in I-AA would do better...how the hell do we know that?

LSU ran man on man all day long on our receivers...but we couldn't catch the ball to make them change their defense.

ERASU2113
September 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
I reserve my right to vote after the JMU game.....

A primarily young team playing infront of 90,000 gets nervous. That was obvious.

Jacksonville - will not show the true ASU. That's why I'm holding my actual input until after JMU.

CamelCityAppFan
September 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Rank App #1. Rank App #58. What does it really matter at this point in the season? Lot of football left before the playoffs...

McNeese_beat
September 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I voted App State #3 because I did not think they were competitive with LSU in any way when the game was on the line. Top-notch FCS teams usually are.

That's not to say that I don't think App will climb back on the horse and be right back in the thick of things. It's just that I think the way they played, particularly the first half, they would have struggled against a lot of top FCS teams.

ASU88
September 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Amazing to me that there is this much discussion about who is or isn't going to be #1 in the 2nd week of the season. Nothing wrong with that, but really ... who cares!?

Mid-December, I'll care.

blackNgold93
September 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Who really cares at this point. You don't get a ring and a trophy for being ranked #1 at the begining of the season, only at the end. Right now it is anyone's guess. There are a lot of good football teams out there and a lot of good football to be played.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM
No reason for ASU to keep #1 after that preformance.
Tired of hearing that no one in I-AA would do better...how the hell do we know that?

LSU ran man on man all day long on our receivers...but we couldn't catch the ball to make them change their defense.

Now I do question whether App should have been ranked #1 to start with, but the LSU game performance or lack thereof is meaningless given the level of talent LSU possesses vs what we even saw in the play-offs last year.

Our inexperience at several key positons will certainly show up and hurt us again several times this season and likely cause us losses but anyone who uses the LSU game as a measuring stick totally doesn't understand the difference in top 5 FBS vs any team in the FCS.

ERASU2113
September 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Honestly when I made did my poll.....I put ASU #1 but there were a couple of teams, Richmond - NDSU mainly, that could go there.

It's a toss up right now.....but who cares? It's the 2nd week of the season.

McNeese75
September 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I have Cal Poly at #1 this week based on their performance last week and what they bring to the table this year. I did however have them at #2 to begin with so its not like a big bump from me.

Teams will start seeking their appropriate ranking by the end of the month and of course I agree, rankings at this point in time mean nothing and beating a top 10 ranked team now is worthless unless that team remains ranked at the end of the season.