PDA

View Full Version : McNeese vs. UNC

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
McNeese 0 UNC 7
NC scores first on a 83 yard punt return with a little over 3 minutes left in the first quarter.

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
End of 1st quarter McNeese 0 UNC 7

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM
McNeese 0 UNC 14
NC 5 yard TD pass w/ 12:03 left in the first half.

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
both teams off the field b/c of lightning. radio annoucers says could be about an hour delay. north carolina has found out early that mcneese can run with them but we have made a few mistakes that has helped out NC.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Put this in another thread but basically McNeese outplayed UNC in the first quarter offense and defense but lost the special teams aspect and was therefore down 7-0. At the end of the first, McNeese had 5 first downs to UNC's 1 and 101 total yards to the Heels 24 but Carolina had an 83 yard punt return for a TD.

Early in the second quarter McNeese went for it on 4th and 1 from the UNC 28 and lost five yards. UNC made two first downs then broke off a 54 yard run to the McNeese three. They then lost 1 yard on a rushing attempt and had an incomplete pass on second down but hit a TD pass on third down.

As of the lightning delay McNeese led in first downs 5 to 4 and in yards 99 to 91. So far it sounds like they've been able to play with UNC so maybe they can catch a few breaks and get back in it when the game resumes.

BBB
August 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Put this in another thread but basically McNeese outplayed UNC in the first quarter offense and defense but lost the special teams aspect and was therefore down 7-0. At the end of the first, McNeese had 5 first downs to UNC's 1 and 101 total yards to the Heels 24 but Carolina had an 83 yard punt return for a TD.

Early in the second quarter McNeese went for it on 4th and 1 from the UNC 28 and lost five yards. UNC made one first down then broke off a 54 yard run to the McNeese three. They then lost 1 yard on a rushing attempt and had an incomplete pass on second down but hit a TD pass on third down.

As of the lightning delay McNeese led in first downs 5 to 4 and in yards 99 to 91. So far it sounds like they've been able to play with UNC so maybe they can catch a few breaks and get back in it when the game resumes.

They will make it respectable, but Carolina is the better team.

What Radio is the game on? link?

Aho_Old_Guy
August 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM

http://radiotime.com/affiliate/a_37719/station/North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_Radio_Stations.aspx

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Here's the link:

http://player.streamtheworld.com/liveplayer.php?DB_OEM_ID=22000&callsign=KNGTFM#Main

But right now it's playing music because of the lighting delay. Don't know how long it's going to be.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM

It's very frustrating because, though I'm not seeing it, it sounds like they're not getting overwhelmed on the line of scrimmage or anything. Basically they've given up two big plays...one on special teams and one on defense. To hold UNC to 1 first down and 24 yards in the first quarter and be behind was frustrating. But I guess that's part of the talent thing. On the punt return they said the guy broke about 5 tackles.

BBB
August 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
It's very frustrating because, though I'm not seeing it, it sounds like they're not getting overwhelmed on the line of scrimmage or anything. Basically they've given up two big plays...one on special teams and one on defense. To hold UNC to 1 first down and 24 yards in the first quarter and be behind was frustrating. But I guess that's part of the talent thing. On the punt return they said the guy broke about 5 tackles.

McNeese is a very good football team and won't be overwhelmed easily BUT, the talent depth will come back to bite them. Butch Davis has a VERY good team in Chapel Hill and alot of folks don't realize that this isn't the Tarheels of 06

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
McNeese is a very good football team and won't be overwhelmed easily BUT, the talent depth will come back to bite them. Butch Davis has a VERY good team in Chapel Hill and alot of folks don't realize that this isn't the Tarheels of 06

Yep. I think it's very important for a FCS like McNeese in a situation like that to take advantage when it's playing well eary in the game and they didn't do it. They moved the ball a lot better in the first quarter than Carolina did yet finished the stanza down 7-0. It's reasonable to expect things to get more difficult as the game goes on because Carolina is a larger, deeper team.

I can only hope Carolina screws up some to let them back in the game.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Im just guessin' but I don't think you will see much from Carolina tonight. I imagine they will grind it out and play everything straight up. Simple pass routes, no line stunts on offense or defense, no blitzing or exotic coverages, etc.

They are away at Rutgers on the 11th and then home against VT the following Sat. and then on the road to Miami.

I think Davis is smart enough not to play his hand this week, stay healthy and get a look at some young guys he may be counting on the rest of the season.

He's pointing to Tech and Miami. Rutgers will be tough but I think he'll hold a little back in NJ waiting to get in conference. Expectations are running high in Chapel Hill and he wants to fight for a division title and a shot at the championship game. Probably the best thing going for him is the Tar Holes don't have to play Clemson, Wake or Fla State this year :P

And yeah ... you can normally count on Carolina to screw it up, somehow - lol

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
McNeese comes out of the lightning delay with a 92 yard TD drive. 14-7 UNC. Right now McNeese has 11 first downs to UNC's 3 and 191 total yards to UNC's 91.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
And they actually tackled the return guy in UNC territory at the 32. First time of the night a UNC return didn't go back past midfield.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
3 and out for UNC and McNeese returns the favor with a TD punt return. by Quinten Lawrence. 14-14.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM
UNC returns the kickoff to the 41. That's the one real black spot on McNeese's performance in this game. Horrible kick coverage.

CharlestonAppFan
August 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Go McNeese!!!!!!xthumbsupx God how I hate/loathe Carolina. I really think that if Osama bin Laden coached or funded a football team and they played them, I'd pull for bin Laden xlolx

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM
UNC pins McNeese back at the 5 with a punt near the end of the half and attempts to use its timeouts but can't stop McNeese from making a first down to run out the clock. 14-14 at the half.

At the half McNeese has 12 first downs to UNC's 5 and 201 yards to UNC's 125. So far they have reason to believe they can play with these guys. And I think that's important in a game like this.

It'll be a short halftime due to the previous rain delay.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Second half started quickly. McNeese got ball at 20 and drove into UNC territory but had a dropped pass on third and long. UNC with the ball at its own 24 now after a bad punt. Special teams continues to be a problem.

AppGrad06
August 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
update?

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
20-14 McNeese.
NC blocked PTA

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
McNeese drives 53 yards in 11 plays to take a 20-14 lead but the extra point is partially blocked. Hope that doesn't end up making a difference.

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
20-14 cowboys.
NC blocked PTA hope it doesnt come back to bite us!

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
ha didnt see your post

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Darn! UNC hits a 58 yard TD pass on 3rd and 7 then hits the PAT to make McNeese pay for missing one. 21-20 UNC.

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Lets go Cowboys!

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
End of third quarter with McNeese down 21-20. Special teams and a couple of big plays have really killed them. UNC just returned another punt into McNeese territory. Plus the obvious failure to get an extra point.

GaSouthern
August 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOO COWBOYS!!!!!!!!

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
UNC misses a field goal. Still 21-20.

Prominentwon
August 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM
special teams is asolutely killing us

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Right now McNeese has 19 first downs to UNC's 7 but is behind. Very frustrating.

Prominentwon
August 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Right now McNeese has 19 first downs to UNC's 7 but is behind. Very frustrating.

see my postxlolx

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
crazy game first a delay for lightning now the scoreboard goes out

ISUMatt
August 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Sounds like they need an electrician!! :)

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Well, UNC put together a real scoring drive for the first time of the night. 28-20. Looks tough. I think McNeese might be wearing out. This is why it was so important for them not to fall behind early when they were outplaying the Tar Heels on a play by play basis.

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM
listen link please!!!!!

BeauFoster
August 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm in Winston-Salem, NC and it is humid as heck here, I'm sure it's the same in Chapel Hill. I walked outside a few minutes ago and there was condensation on the door knob. I wouldn't want to be playing in this soup!

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.gator995.com/common/gap_streamer.php

elcid96
August 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
huge play by NC. Looks like the end of the game is coming soon. Another FCS loss?

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Another big play...a 71 yard pass by UNC in a third and 10 situation from its own 11 followed by a face mask penalty... sets up a TD for UNC. Looks to be over now at 35-20. Only solace is that at least they didn't lose by one point because of a missed PAT.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
McNeese scores after a 79 yard drive. 35-27. Now the missed PAT looks big again. Don't know how much time is left because the scoreboard is out.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
McNeese just failed on an onside kick. They say 1:47 left.

MSUstudent
August 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Final 35-27 UNC
Cowboys never quit and gave NC all they could handle, just too many big plays and our kicking game was not great. Can't wait until next weekend in the HOLE! gustav permitting...

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Game over

Final score

Cowboys 27
UNC 35

Great showing McNeese, now get outa dodge. xnodx

elcid96
August 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Well done McNeese. I would easily put you #2 in the poll next week behind Del.

Top Three:

Del
McNeese
App

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Well done McNeese. I would easily put you #2 in the poll next week behind Del.

Top Three:

Del
McNeese
App

Are you bumping App down because of the game today?

elcid96
August 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM
They could not catch a ball. Everyone underestimated the loss of their top 4 recievers. Losing to LSU is not a reason to bump them down, but their inability to catch balls today (eight dropped passes), makes me believe they need to come off the 1 spot.

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
UNC converts on 3rd and 8. Now they're taking a knee. Over. Close but no cigar.

It was pretty much a game where McNeese put drives together and UNC made big plays. Total yards end up close at 391 for McNeese and 387 for Carolina. McNeese ends up with a 24 - 13 edge in first downs and and runs 78 plays to Carolina's 55. But Carolina got 182 yards on three plays that led to three TDs and also got an 83 yard TD punt return.

patssle
August 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Definitely a respectable showing by McNeese.

Great showing McNeese, now get outa dodge

I dunno, staying there seems like a good idea as opposed to coming back to Lake Charles!

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
UNC converts on 3rd and 8. Now they're taking a knee. Over. Close but no cigar.

It was pretty much a game where McNeese put drives together and UNC made big plays. Total yards end up close at 391 for McNeese and 387 for Carolina. McNeese ends up with a 24 - 13 edge in first downs and and runs 78 plays to Carolina's 55. But Carolina got 182 yards on three plays that led to three TDs and also got an 83 yard TD punt return.

Geez, those numbers would seem to indicate a Cowboy win. How many big plays were there?

gr8ness97
August 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Great game McNeese...I was listening on the edge of my seat the whole time!

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Geez, those numbers would seem to indicate a Cowboy win. How many big plays were there?

Carolina's first score was on an 83 yard punt return.

Their second TD was set up by a 54 yard run to the McNeese 3. McNeese stopped them for -1 on first down, they had an incomplete pass on second down, but hit a pass for the TD on third down.

Their third TD was a 57 yard TD pass on a third and 6 situation.

Their fourth TD was after what I consider their only real "traditional" scoring drive of the night: 54 yards in 7 plays ending in a 13 yard TD run.

Their fifth TD was set up by a 71 yard pass they hit when they were in a third and 10 situation from their own 11 yard line. McNeese was called for a facemask penalty to set UNC up at the Cowboy 9.

That's all part of it, I guess. They're a BCS league team that has BCS league skill players who made big plays. Still a little frustrating, though.

BEAR
August 30th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Congrats McNeese on a hard fought battle! Sounded like the UCA-LaTech game last year..outplayed them all game but gave up a few big plays..boo! xlolx I think the SLC has its power team still in the conference...it's gonna be a long year for Cowboy opponents. xthumbsupx

Retro
August 30th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Carolina's first score was on an 83 yard punt return.

Their second TD was set up by a 54 yard run to the McNeese 3. McNeese stopped them for -1 on first down, they had an incomplete pass on second down, but hit a pass for the TD on third down.

Their third TD was a 57 yard TD pass on a third and 6 situation.

Their fourth TD was after what I consider their only real "traditional" scoring drive of the night: 54 yards in 7 plays ending in a 13 yard TD run.

Their fifth TD was set up by a 71 yard pass they hit when they were in a third and 10 situation from their own 11 yard line. McNeese was called for a facemask penalty to set UNC up at the Cowboy 9.

That's all part of it, I guess. They're a BCS league team that has BCS league skill players who made big plays. Still a little frustrating, though.

I'm very happy with the performance tonight.. Maybe the outcome would've been better if Juneau hadn't gotten hurt and was there to fend off some of those 2nd half big plays? Either way, we have a solid team.. Special teams needs work.

McNeese75
August 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM
The game was very frustrating to watch. If McNeese contains #87 for Carolina a little this game would not have been close. A little more focus by the Cowboy QB's in the 3rd quarter and this game could have been put away. Regardless, great game and although there are a few things that need to be worked on, the team looked GOOD. xnodx

JohnStOnge
August 31st, 2008, 06:26 AM
The game was very frustrating to watch. If McNeese contains #87 for Carolina a little this game would not have been close.

I wasn't really aware that it was mostly a one man show by what may be a great Carolina player until I started reading articles this morning. #87, wideout Brandon Tate, set a UNC record with 397 all purpose yards.

Though he's a wide receiver, he led the Tar Heels in rushing with 106 yards at 35.3 yards per carry. He had 4 receptions for 93 yards (23.3 yards per catch), 3 punt returns for 142 yards (47.3 average) and 1 kickoff return for 56 yards.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in the future.

http://media.newsobserver.com/smedia/2008/08/31/02/428-001.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

JohnStOnge
August 31st, 2008, 06:31 AM
A Raleigh News Observer article on the game featuring Tate:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/football/story/1200994.html

"CHAPEL HILL - North Carolina wide receiver Brandon Tate knew exactly how he planned to celebrate his team's 35-27 victory over McNeese State on Saturday night.

'I'm going to go home and lie down,' the senior said.

You can't blame him for being tired. On a night when UNC's offense struggled to put together any sort of consistent attack at rain-soaked Kenan Stadium, Tate provided most of his team's surge -- scoring two touchdowns, setting up another and speeding his way to a school-record 397 all-purpose yards."

"Carolina's offense, which struggled both on the ground and in the air when Tate wasn't involved, looked like it was on its way to yet another punt with 4:35 left in the third quarter. That's when quarterback T.J. Yates (15-of-26, 221 yards, two touchdowns, one interception) found Tate for a 57-yard touchdown reception to give UNC a 21-20 lead.

And hope.

'That play, it really changed the momentum,' said backup tailback Shaun Draughn. ... 'It really just got everyone going again."'

BBB
August 31st, 2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Cowboys.

NUFF respect for teh way you fought last night. I didn't think u had it in you but you came out firing and prove that you belong on the field.

CamelCityAppFan
August 31st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Good job Cowboys! According to the stats, you guys won everything but the scoreboard.

Touchdown Yosef
August 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM
I hate it for you McNeese, I was really pulling for the Cowboys. Good luck the rest of the season I am sure you will be very successful this year.

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Im just guessin' but I don't think you will see much from Carolina tonight. I imagine they will grind it out and play everything straight up. Simple pass routes, no line stunts on offense or defense, no blitzing or exotic coverages, etc.

They are away at Rutgers on the 11th and then home against VT the following Sat. and then on the road to Miami.

I think Davis is smart enough not to play his hand this week, stay healthy and get a look at some young guys he may be counting on the rest of the season.

He's pointing to Tech and Miami. Rutgers will be tough but I think he'll hold a little back in NJ waiting to get in conference. Expectations are running high in Chapel Hill and he wants to fight for a division title and a shot at the championship game. Probably the best thing going for him is the Tar Holes don't have to play Clemson, Wake or Fla State this year :P

And yeah ... you can normally count on Carolina to screw it up, somehow - lol

I just got home from the game.

Let me say this.

UNC thru EVERYTHING at us but the kitchen sink.

BOTTOM LINE - McNeese's Offensive and Defensive linemen TOTALLY dominated at the line of scrimage. ALL game long.

They score on 3 big plays and on special teams.

Page is THE man for them (like BJ Sams was a few years ago for McNeese) on special teams. He had over 300 all purpose yards. Take him out of the game, and McNeese beats UNC by 3 Touchdowns.

UNC is a slow football team as a whole. The differene between McNeese's team speed and UNC was VERY noticable, and this was said by the UNC Radio crew after the game.

Another difference was McNeese starting QB had a TERRIBLE night, completing less than 40% with NO pressure on him to speak of.

He was scared. He would get rid of the ball as soon as he touched it whether or not anyone was open or not. Most of his passes went directly to the dirt.

McNeese's 2nd team QB came in and was the one that led the cowboys to the first score. He looked GREAT and most people in the stands were wanting to keep in in the game. But McNeese put the starter back in.

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:13 AM
They could not catch a ball. Everyone underestimated the loss of their top 4 recievers. Losing to LSU is not a reason to bump them down, but their inability to catch balls today (eight dropped passes), makes me believe they need to come off the 1 spot.

No way should App be dropped for losing to LSU.

LSU is the real deal, and Michigan can't hold LSU's Jocks.

App played as well as they could and they will do VERY well this year.

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Definitely a respectable showing by McNeese.

I dunno, staying there seems like a good idea as opposed to coming back to Lake Charles!

I agree.

MANY of our fans were just gonna stay there for the week and go play golf.

McNeese is going to stay and practice at Northwestern. But right now, the storm looks like it is going to park right over North Central Louisiana after it goes ashore.

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM

All but 2 UNC's scores came on Big Plays, and the other two were set up by big special teams plays.

We kick their ass on the line of scrimage. But Page beat us single handedly. He is the real deal.

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:21 AM
The game was very frustrating to watch. If McNeese contains #87 for Carolina a little this game would not have been close. A little more focus by the Cowboy QB's in the 3rd quarter and this game could have been put away. Regardless, great game and although there are a few things that need to be worked on, the team looked GOOD. xnodx

Now we know who our opponents feel about Steven Whitehead and BJ Sams. :o

McTailGator
August 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Good job Cowboys! According to the stats, you guys won everything but the scoreboard.

I would have perfered it to be the other way around. xeyebrowx

We kicked their ass physically. But when our safety got hurt they killed us on big plays in the 4th Q.

IndianaAppMan
August 31st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Dang, I wish you guys had beaten UNC.

I've always despised the self-centered, "we're-God's-team-because-the-sky-is-Carolina-blue" BS that UNC fans carry around.

I hope this close game works to their DISadvantage in recruiting in Louisiana, since they supposedly chose you guys over App for the excuse of gaining exposure there.

Unfortunately, from my perspective, I think UNC may end up winning their division in the ACC. Nice job, Cowboys! xthumbsupx

mistersykes
August 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Good showing by the Cowboys, and you almost pulled it off, too! I think most people who watched realized that McNeese could keep up with UNC. Congrats on a hard fought game.

msupokes1
August 31st, 2008, 01:29 PM
I just got back from the game as well. I am so proud of the cowboys and have high hopes for this team. Defensively I think we looked really good against the run and passes over the middle. The big plays they got us on were just fly routes down the side line. I didn't feel like our defenders were in that bad of position but the receiver didn't drop anything and the passes were perfect. Fouroux was a little off on his passes. Pendland looked good in the back field. I had many UNC fans say that our offensive and defensive lines were big and very effective in the trenches. I know after the game the players were really upset because they walked off feeling that we were the better team.

GreatAppSt
August 31st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Good job Cowboys was pulling for ya on XM onmy way back to TX. I thought you had em.xthumbsupx

MSUstudent
August 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
does anyone know Jamelle Juneau's condition?

furman94
August 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Good showing Cowboys!