PDA

View Full Version : Virginia FCS attendance

URMite
August 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Prompted by the constant claims of JMU fans that Richmond doesn't have any fan support, I decided to look at the past attendance figures in VA FCS.

I still remember when UR average 13-15k in the 80s mainly due to 10-12k home fans and aided by 5-7k visitors from (W&M, VMI, occasionally VA Tech, and JMU themselves).

But I actually looked at 7 VA FCS schools (JMU, UR, W&M, VMI, NSU, Hampton & Liberty) for the last 11 seasons. With my UR bias xwhistlex , I broke it into 2 groups 97-01, 02-07. All of the schools other than UR & Hampton had a 10-15% increase in the second period. Hampton had a 10% drop, although both HBCU schools had a greater variation in attendance than the other schools. Richmond had a > 40% drop! 2002 seemed to be a transition year with 9,200 (11,750 before 6,600 after). I'm hoping that drop is because of the previous administration both isolating itself from the local community and recruiting a higher percentage of students who believe sports are a waste of time and may start to reverse itself. But it also shows that our low attendance is a relatively new phenomenon. We actually had the highest attendance 97-00 with 11,750 (JMU was 2nd with 10,900).

But in a broader sense, I'm wondering what the trend has been at other FCS schools (with 4-12k attendance & not at capacity) for the last decade. Is the 10-15% increase from 1 5 yr avg to the next typical? and can it be sustained?

19Duke97
August 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Keep in mind that until a few years ago, JMU's Bridgeforth stadium only held 12,500 people. Also, your numbers are going to be skewed - in fact JMU attendance was much higher in the early to mid 90's, but Alex Wood killed the team starting in 1997, and the attendance followed downward until Mickey Matthews returned JMU to its rightful place early this decade. Last year JMU averaged > 15K.
City stadium in Richmond holds over 22K, making it one of the largest stadiums in the CAA. I think what kills UofR is that their attendance, even if it were the same as JMU's, would look bad because it would not come close to filling their stadium.

URMite
August 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Keep in mind that until a few years ago, JMU's Bridgeforth stadium only held 12,500 people. Also, your numbers are going to be skewed - in fact JMU attendance was much higher in the early to mid 90's, but Alex Wood killed the team starting in 1997, and the attendance followed downward until Mickey Matthews returned JMU to its rightful place early this decade. Last year JMU averaged > 15K.
City stadium in Richmond holds over 22K, making it one of the largest stadiums in the CAA. I think what kills UofR is that their attendance, even if it were the same as JMU's, would look bad because it would not come close to filling their stadium.

I didn't really start out looking for a comparison, just wanted to see our trend over the last 25 years, but older data was harder to find (and the other schools were right there). I didn't know you guys were that close to capacity before so that your 10-15% increase was pent up demand.

In the 80s (so I'm old sue me:p ), a typical season would be 10k, 11k, 12k, 18k (VA school), 19k (VA school) = 14k average. Yes the curved side would be sparse for teams like URI or Maine but our side would be packed.

In recent years, it seems not only have we dropped quite a bit but VMI & W&M bring less as well (but still good). If we ever get Tech back I think it will be filled. xlolx

Anyway, it should be interesting in a couple of years with the new stadium especially if we do start trending back toward 11-12k demand.

Sly Fox
August 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
We had over 15k for our opener tonight against a DII opponent. Barring a weather disaster or a complete meltdown by our program, we should average around 15k or better for the season in Lynchburg. That's not JMU numbers but it certainly grants us some access to discussion in this thread.

Remember our '02-'07 numbers were colored by our horrid teams prior to '06. But times have changed dramatically for us.

aust42
August 31st, 2008, 12:03 AM
I didn't really start out looking for a comparison, just wanted to see our trend over the last 25 years, but older data was harder to find (and the other schools were right there). I didn't know you guys were that close to capacity before so that your 10-15% increase was pent up demand.

In the 80s (so I'm old sue me:p ), a typical season would be 10k, 11k, 12k, 18k (VA school), 19k (VA school) = 14k average. Yes the curved side would be sparse for teams like URI or Maine but our side would be packed.

In recent years, it seems not only have we dropped quite a bit but VMI & W&M bring less as well (but still good). If we ever get Tech back I think it will be filled. xlolx

Anyway, it should be interesting in a couple of years with the new stadium especially if we do start trending back toward 11-12k demand.

Your attendence sucks and it always will if you continue to ban alcohol at your tailgates. Who the hell wants to go to a college football game when you can't even drink a beer at a tailgate?

SuperJon
August 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Your attendence sucks and it always will if you continue to ban alcohol at your tailgates. Who the hell wants to go to a college football game when you can't even drink a beer at a tailgate?

15,311 people tonight at Liberty.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 31st, 2008, 01:45 AM
You have your facts wrong. I have consumed many a beer at UR Stadium tailgate.

ur2k
August 31st, 2008, 02:35 PM
You have your facts wrong. I have consumed many a beer at UR Stadium tailgate.

I can vouch for that, I've seen it.