PDA

View Full Version : ASU-LSU Needs to be Cancelled

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM
CANCEL THE GAME!

Let me play devil's advocate -- I'm not sure where I stand on this one, but if this game causes me traffic in evacuating, I may be speaking from the heart...

We already got increasing gridlock heading out of Crescent City to BR and westward. There's gas stations that are already being reported as out of gas on WWL radio by callers.

There's parents calling in saying their LSU students want to stay and they want those kids to come home to evacuate together. They feel LSU is encouraging students and fans to stay in Baton Rouge by having the game while Louisiana is on a state of emergency.

Keeping this game is causing problems. Those people will just add to the problems that is an evacuation process which will turn contraflow at approximately 6 p.m on Saturday night pending who you ask.

This is extremely ridiculous that concessions are being made a football game. As much as I love FCS, everyone is preparing to get ready for the storm and this contest will add more aggravation and tie-ups on the highway for those who are trying to head for higher ground...

LehighFan11
August 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
The storm is hitting tuesday.....by the way Baton Rouge isn't exactly on the coast

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM
The storm is hitting tuesday.....by the way Baton Rouge isn't exactly on the coast

Yes, but when do the tropical winds start making a difference...? Those are the times that matter most, who cares about landfall? It's the winds!

And yes, Baton Rouge is not on the coast...but I-10 goes through Red Stick, does it not?

My wife is getting calls from people already heading west towards Baton Rouge who are caught in traffic...

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 01:34 PM
People not interested in the game should evacuate before the game starts. In NC, we've been in these situations. People always wait til the last minute. It was suggested on the MMB to move the game to Boone, problem solved.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
People not interested in the game should evacuate before the game starts.

Hard to evacuate a large area of people that quickly...

Franks Tanks
August 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
People not interested in the game should evacuate before the game starts. In NC, we've been in these situations. People always wait til the last minute. It was suggested on the MMB to move the game to Boone, problem solved.

YES-- Just move it to Boone

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hard to evacuate a large area of people that quickly...

Well, they had better get crackin. It's hard to move that many people before the hurricane gets there. I don't understand sometimes, I would have been gone yesterday if I was in NO.

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Well, they had better get crackin. It's hard to move that many people before the hurricane gets there. I don't understand sometimes, I would have been gone yesterday if I was in NO.

Exactly...I think thats the point that everyone is missing

kirkblitz
August 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM
So i guess im going to be eating french toast as my tailgating food lol

jstate83
August 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
They cancel LSU's Opening game, you won't have to worry about a hurricane tearing up Baton Rougue. xlolx

People got plent of time to get the heck out of dodge.xnodx

JSU and Hampton is playing in Orlando Sunday with a hurricane bearing down on the East coast of Florida as we speak.
People will be in and out of both places long before anything hit.

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Yes, but when do the tropical winds start making a difference...? Those are the times that matter most, who cares about landfall? It's the winds!

And yes, Baton Rouge is not on the coast...but I-10 goes through Red Stick, does it not?

My wife is getting calls from people already heading west towards Baton Rouge who are caught in traffic...

And...so what...the worst BR will probably get is 40 mph winds and heavy rain, people there don't have any reason to be on the roads whatsoever. Are they evacuating the entire state or what? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Exactly...I think thats the point that everyone is missing

A lot of people can not leave until tomorrow at the earliest. There are a lot of places still open today -- some closing early, but plenty of businesses are open...

Problem with everyone getting out of dodge now, is if this ends up being nothing, there's going to be a lot of people more reluctant to flee next time.

And...so what...the worst BR will probably get is 40 mph winds and heavy rain, people there don't have any reason to be on the roads whatsoever. Are they evacuating the entire state or what? xconfusedx

Yes, but people need to drive to Baton Rouge to evacuate New Orleans to the west...having a major sporting event (which takes place at a stadium in which the major I-10 artery is needed) will cause further gridlock.

appfan2008
August 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I am fine with it just dont think that those six hours really make that much difference!

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I am fine with it just dont think that those six hours really make that much difference!

They most certainly do. If Contraflow begins at 6 p.m as is being thrown around in the media, if the game is at 4 p.m, no one will be able to head east of Baton Rouge following the game...

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
A lot of people can not leave until tomorrow at the earliest. There are a lot of places still open today -- some closing early, but plenty of businesses are open...

Problem with everyone getting out of dodge now, is if this ends up being nothing, there's going to be a lot of people more reluctant to flee next time.

So 3pm Friday is too soon and Saturday morning is a-ok? Thats what will happen if you cancel the game now. Everyone will leave (try to) tonight.

TColonel
August 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hey TT,

The majority of the people do not realize that when you figure in all of Southeast Louisiana, that there will be well of 750,000 people getting out, with many of them heading west. If anyone is planning to fly out of NOLA on Sunday - forget it becuase they will likely not be able to make it back to the city. Utlimately, will the game cause great problems, probably not, but there is no reason of a football game to be played. If for some reason the game does cause an extra burnden on traffic flow and something, I am not sure what, happens, it would be interesting to see lawsuits being filed with some of the sue happy attorneys in this state.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
The majority of the people do not realize that when you figure in all of Southeast Louisiana, that there will be well of 750,000 people getting out, with many of them heading west. If anyone is planning to fly out of NOLA on Sunday - forget it becuase they will likely not be able to make it back to the city. Utlimately, will the game cause great problems, probably not, but there is no reason of a football game to be played. If for some reason the game does cause an extra burnden on traffic flow and something, I am not sure what, happens, it would be interesting to see lawsuits being filed with some of the sue happy attorneys in this state.

Glad a fellow poster from the southeastern side of the state chipped in...you better believe there'll be lawsuits because of this. People love to sue and this would be a thing to sue over, whether you agree or not. They'll accuse the state and LSU of playing this game and hindering the ability to flee for their safety.

In fact, some people feel the whole reason contraflow is being held off as long as they can is because of this game. The politicians love their LSU football...xnonox

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hey TT,

I'm not familiar with the area, but why don't people in Southeast Louisiana drive North?

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'm not familiar with the area, but why don't people in Southeast Louisiana drive North?

Two-lane highway on each side (two, going N and two going S). Contraflow turns that into four lanes going north.

Not lit up well at all (was not too big a fan of driving home from Hammond to NOLA at night following 2006 SLU-SHSU football game)...

That's another artery too...three ways out. West, north and east. Can't squeeze everyone two ways and avoid west bound...Houston is a major final stop of a lot of people.

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Two-lane highway on each side (two, going N and two going S). Contraflow turns that into four lanes going north.

Not lit up well at all (was not too big a fan of driving home from Hammond to NOLA at night following 2006 SLU-SHSU football game)...

That's another artery too...three ways out. West, north and east. Can't squeeze everyone two ways and avoid west bound...Houston is a major final stop of a lot of people.

Yeah, if I were in SE I would either head North or East, definitely not West.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, if I were in SE I would either head North or East, definitely not West.

Why should I head north, if I'm wanting to go to Houston? I know I got a place to stay there and not needing a hotel, which are all booked up as is.

I really don't want to drive to my secondary location in Ft Worth.

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Why should I head north, if I'm wanting to go to Houston? I know I got a place to stay there and not needing a hotel, which are all booked up as is.

Sorry, I'm thinking directions. I would imagine being in SE Louisians the quickest way to safety would be North, not Houston. Like I said, I'm not familiar there, just curious. No need to get all huffy.

TColonel
August 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
For those wanting people to drive north and or east are showing more inexperience about a hurricane. The western side of the storm is where the least damage occurs. Furthermore, the traditional path of a storm once it makes landfall is to travel to the north and east and can still be very dangerous as it will usually bring heavy rain and tornados.

All in all, if a storm comes - go west.

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Glad a fellow poster from the southeastern side of the state chipped in...you better believe there'll be lawsuits because of this. People love to sue and this would be a thing to sue over, whether you agree or not. They'll accuse the state and LSU of playing this game and hindering the ability to flee for their safety.

In fact, some people feel the whole reason contraflow is being held off as long as they can is because of this game. The politicians love their LSU football...xnonox

Um the game is being moved up to 10am. Over by 12pm. Everyone gone by 1:30. So you basically save six to eight hours of time. And those six hours would definitely matter. (You said so yourself, people would probably not even be ready to leave until tomorrow evening anyways.) And no one would need to fly in to NOLA for the game, (the only people who care about this game are from Boone, NC and the LSU fans who are already there.) You cancel the game and what about all those people who are already in BR for the game...are they SOL?? If the state of emergency is going to be declared tomorrow night and the mandatory evacuations will start then then how would canceling the game today be so helpful?

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Um the game is being moved up to 10am. Over by 12pm. Everyone gone by 1:30.

How is the game going to be over in 2 hours? I've never been to a game that has ended in less than two hours and 30 minutes!

So you basically save six to eight hours of time. And those six hours would definitely matter. (You said so yourself, people would probably not even be ready to leave until tomorrow evening anyways.)

People are already leaving New Orleans, particularly low-lying areas. A lot of people won't leave til Saturday though and even Sunday. The bulk on Saturday, I figure, especially when word comes that there will be mandatory evacuations and Contraflow in the evening.

You cancel the game and what about all those people who are already in BR for the game...are they SOL?? If the state of emergency is going to be declared tomorrow night and the mandatory evacuations will start then then how would canceling the game today be so helpful?

There are more people in the region than those impacted by a game being cancelled...state of emergency has already been declared in various parts of the state. Canceling the game would help clear out traffic...there's going to be ton. Have you sat in I-10 traffic when evacuating New Orleans?

SactoHornetFan
August 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
As one who works for a state transportation dept., I completely agree with Texas Terror. Folks, its just a game. This is a little more important...especially what happened there 3 years ago.

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 02:50 PM
For those wanting people to drive north and or east are showing more inexperience about a hurricane. The western side of the storm is where the least damage occurs. Furthermore, the traditional path of a storm once it makes landfall is to travel to the north and east and can still be very dangerous as it will usually bring heavy rain and tornados.

You're right, we know nothing about hurricanes in NC. I know quite a bit about hurricanes. If you're going to drive 100 or 200 miles to seek shelter, I thought maybe going North would be an easier way out than going West. I have never been to Louisiana so I don't know the road situation. With that said, I think you're mistaken--it's not that I am inexperienced about hurricanes, it's that I'm inexperienced with Louisiana.

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
As one who works for a state transportation dept., I completely agree with Texas Terror. Folks, its just a game. This is a little more important...especially what happened there 3 years ago.

I think most people agree with that. He said he wanted to play devil's advocate, I was abliging. Also, asking some questions about Louisiana, apparently that showed my inexperience with hurricanes. xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM
My favorite blogger on weather, says the storm is now pointing more towards landfall west of Baton Rouge, possibly closer to the TX/LA border which puts Baton Rouge on the bad side instead of when the storm was looking more like a NOLA landing.

I really think the storm is going west of 'Red Stick' and BR will be on the bad side. Even more reason for cancellation...

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/08/dont_freak_out.html

Thanks for agreeing with us southeastern La. boys...

Everyone knows I'm a big fan of FCS football and want App St to beat LSU more than anyone -- cause everyone knows I love me some FCS, but I'm thinking about numero uno -- and that's myself, my wife, my Kat (Bear), my friends and fellow residents of Louisiana...

jonmac
August 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I understand hurricanes, having been through them myself, and agree that evacuations should be going on now, not sure about making them mandatory, but I think it's a little early for an official state of emergency. Cancelling wouldn't be that big a deal if they'd done it before the Mountaineers were in the air headed to LA.

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
They most certainly do. If Contraflow begins at 6 p.m as is being thrown around in the media, if the game is at 4 p.m, no one will be able to head east of Baton Rouge following the game...

But the game is not at 4pm its at 10am...and the contraflow won't start until 6pm. So maybe I was too generous on how quickly the game will go tomorrow, 10am-1pm, everyone out of the stadium by 2pm. not to mention that a majority of those at the stadium will be LSU fans who are from the area and odds are have already made their evacuation plans for after the game. And if you go up I-110 it will take you right to BR Metropolitan Airport where I'm sure is available for departing flights. And I can guarantee that because of the hurricane and the earlier time that this game will not be a sellout... probably only 20,000. So how much "Additional traffic" are we talking here?

IMO if you live in Louisiana and the only way you know how to get out of town is I-10 west then you shouldn't be living in Louisiana

CamelCityAppFan
August 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I think most people agree with that. He said he wanted to play devil's advocate, I was abliging. Also, asking some questions about Louisiana, apparently that showed my inexperience with hurricanes. xeyebrowx

Remember Hurricane Hugo? I was still a student at App when (then) Tropical Storm Hugo came through BOONE, NORTH CAROLINA.

Blew the roof off the house 2 door down, basement of the house I was renting on 421 (West side of town, towards Tenn) was flooded with 4 feet of water.

So I think North Carolinians in general, and Boonians in particular can sympathize with the situation.

There really aren't any perfect options here; 10am kickoff with all other pre-game festivities canceled seems reasonable and probably the "least-worst" of the options available.

I'm sure it came down to either cancel it outright or move it to 10, and I can understand the folks in the Governor's office wanting to keep the game if they thought it could be done without adversely affecting hurricane preparations.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM
IMO if you live in Louisiana and the only way you know how to get out of town is I-10 west then you shouldn't be living in Louisiana

There's several ways to get out in all sorts of directions...I may head to Baton Rouge another way actually -- I'm discussing it with my wife instead of I-10 -- along Airline Hwy, but again, I'm not sure...point remains that a major sporting event and even with your generous estimates on leaving the stadium, it's going to take much longer than hour after the game, if it ends at 1 p.m or whenever, to get everyone out of the stadium and on their way...

brownbear
August 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM
There's several ways to get out in all sorts of directions...I may head to Baton Rouge another way actually -- I'm discussing it with my wife instead of I-10 -- along Airline Hwy, but again, I'm not sure...point remains that a major sporting event and even with your generous estimates on leaving the stadium, it's going to take much longer than hour after the game, if it ends at 1 p.m or whenever, to get everyone out of the stadium and on their way...

I know I-10 does contraflow, but does Airline Highway make both lanes going towards Baton Rouge? After 6 pm on saturday, is there any way to get back to New Orleans?

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
My favorite blogger on weather, says the storm is now pointing more towards landfall west of Baton Rouge, possibly closer to the TX/LA border which puts Baton Rouge on the bad side instead of when the storm was looking more like a NOLA landing.

I really think the storm is going west of 'Red Stick' and BR will be on the bad side. Even more reason for cancellation...

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/08/dont_freak_out.html

All the more reason for heading east instead...why on earth would someone evacuate in the direction of where a hurricane is expected to make landfall is beyond me xconfusedx ...I thought that the whole reason of evacuating is to get away from the storm not head towards it. Those North and East routes are looking more and more favorable by the hour.

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I know I-10 does contraflow, but does Airline Highway make both lanes going towards Baton Rouge? After 6 pm on saturday, is there any way to get back to New Orleans?

Not on 10, but it seems like that if you catch Rt. 61 south you should be ok.

Baton Rouge to New Orleans on Rt. 61 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Baton+Rouge&1s=LA&1y=US&1l=30.4506&1g=-91.154404&1v=CITY&2c=New+Orleans&2s=LA&aoh=1&r=s#a/mapsprint/l:::Baton+Rouge:LA::US:30.4506:-91.154404:city:/l:::New+Orleans:LA::US:29.957079:-90.0625:city:Orleans+Parish/m::7:30.203304:-90.607138:0::/io:1::1:::s:EN:M:/e)

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Not on 10, but it seems like that if you catch Rt. 61 south you should be ok.

Baton Rouge to New Orleans on Rt. 61 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Baton+Rouge&1s=LA&1y=US&1l=30.4506&1g=-91.154404&1v=CITY&2c=New+Orleans&2s=LA&aoh=1&r=s#a/mapsprint/l:::Baton+Rouge:LA::US:30.4506:-91.154404:city:/l:::New+Orleans:LA::US:29.957079:-90.0625:city:Orleans+Parish/m::7:30.203304:-90.607138:0::/io:1::1:::s:EN:M:/e)

That's Airline Hwy, which I was referring to in another post above... ;)

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Remember Hurricane Hugo? I was still a student at App when (then) Tropical Storm Hugo came through BOONE, NORTH CAROLINA.

Blew the roof off the house 2 door down, basement of the house I was renting on 421 (West side of town, towards Tenn) was flooded with 4 feet of water.

So I think North Carolinians in general, and Boonians in particular can sympathize with the situation.

There really aren't any perfect options here; 10am kickoff with all other pre-game festivities canceled seems reasonable and probably the "least-worst" of the options available.

I'm sure it came down to either cancel it outright or move it to 10, and I can understand the folks in the Governor's office wanting to keep the game if they thought it could be done without adversely affecting hurricane preparations.

I agree, I do remember Hugo, I was 8 and in Greensboro. I think they made the right choice. I just wanted to ask if it was necessary for everyone in the state, even those by Mississippi to drive all the way to Houston, because I didn't know the options down there.

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
That's Airline Hwy, which I was referring to in another post above... ;)

So is it possible to head back to NO on "Airline Hwy"?

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I agree, I do remember Hugo, I was 8 and in Greensboro. I think they made the right choice. I just wanted to ask if it was necessary for everyone in the state, even those by Mississippi to drive all the way to Houston, because I didn't know the options down there.

If Houston is your evacuation spot, you go there unless they are definitely going to get washed too. Just like if Jackson (MS), Mobile (AL), Baton Rouge (LA) or Pensacola (FL) were. You guy where you have a place to stay. For some, staying a hotel is not an option because a) they are all booked or b) you need to go the cheaper alternative because of $$$.

So is it possible to head back to NO on "Airline Hwy"?

I am not certain. It comes down to police jurisdictions...

kirkblitz
August 29th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I've been through many hurricanes in my life and ive always though they were fun, but the after effects with floods and tons of valuable stuff being ruined isnt so fun.

patssle
August 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Nobody knows where the hurricane is going to hit. Lets cancel everything on the gulf coast.

DSUrocks07
August 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Nobody knows where the hurricane is going to hit. Lets cancel everything on the gulf coast.

and 100 miles inland as well...

CoastalFan2005
August 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I love the "move the game to Boone" idea...although I think it might have to be a cold day in Hell before LSU ever agreed to that. xlolx xsmiley_wix

grizband
August 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I love the "move the game to Boone" idea...although I think it might have to be a cold day in Hell before LSU ever agreed to that. xlolx xsmiley_wix
Bring the game to Missoula! We have a newly remodeled stadium sitting empty this weekend, and without a home game until September 13, Griz fans are hungry for football...and I promise the hurricane won't have any affect on the game. xthumbsupx

CamelCityAppFan
August 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Bring the game to Missoula! We have a newly remodeled stadium sitting empty this weekend, and without a home game until September 13, Griz fans are hungry for football...and I promise the hurricane won't have any affect on the game. xthumbsupx

Nah, when App wins in Missoula, I want it to be when they beat the Griz, not some punk-azz SEC team...xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
State of Louisiana is now saying we are tenatively set to have the first-ever dual contraflow...

Meaning we will have contraflow in both SWLA and SELA.

Even more reason to cancel the game...

kirkblitz
August 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Why do you want it cancelled so much?

Skjellyfetti
August 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
It's not going to be canceled this late. They made their decision.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Why do you want it cancelled so much?

It is just adding to the mess that we are about to have on Saturday along I-10 for those in both southwest and southeast Louisiana...

There are more important things than a football game and that includes the lives of Louisiana citizens living along the coast.

The Mayor of NOLA himself said that the game complicates matters and reportedly, Jindal wanted to cancel the game himself before giving into the pressure of the politicos...

It should have been canceled. It's too late to do it now, but it's a mistake...

JmuSkinsfan
August 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM

I think I saw on CNN that they typically begin evacuation 50 hours prior to expected landfall (mandatory evac). The anchor was speculating that would begin tomorrow evening sometime.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Also worth noting - the NO people have to sit and allow the people who are closer to the coast -- the low-lying area people go first, in a perfect world. They have the farthest to go and that is why Contraflow starts late, because that's when everyone should be on the roads.

The low-lying folks have started evacuating and will go into mandatory evacuation tomorrow. The NOLA folks will start evacuating the special needs folks and then go into mandatory Sunday.

It's a smart idea if you ask me...Houston did the same thing in Rita (allowed the people in Galveston, etc evacuate first before Houston proper)...

FYI -- post on TigerDroppings.com where a fan has stated he's hearing the game could still be canceled (not confirmed) -- http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=9551477 -- take it as grain of salt til link provided.

813Jag
August 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
But the game is not at 4pm its at 10am...and the contraflow won't start until 6pm. So maybe I was too generous on how quickly the game will go tomorrow, 10am-1pm, everyone out of the stadium by 2pm. not to mention that a majority of those at the stadium will be LSU fans who are from the area and odds are have already made their evacuation plans for after the game. And if you go up I-110 it will take you right to BR Metropolitan Airport where I'm sure is available for departing flights. And I can guarantee that because of the hurricane and the earlier time that this game will not be a sellout... probably only 20,000. So how much "Additional traffic" are we talking here?

I'll make this point about the traffic flow from LSU, there's no way the traffic will be cleared in less than 2 hours.

You can also take US-190 west as well, that's a road alot of us Red Stickers use to go across the Mississippi. You can take Hwy 61 if you're going North. I'm sure I-49 will be busy as well. If you are familar with the area there are a few ways to leave.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I'll make this point about the traffic flow from LSU, there's no way the traffic will be cleared in less than 2 hours.

You can also take US-190 west as well, that's a road alot of us Red Stickers use to go across the Mississippi. You can take Hwy 61 if you're going North. I'm sure I-49 will be busy as well. If you are familar with the area there are a few ways to leave.

813 Jag, you think I should take US-190 out of NOLA. I'm going back and forth on the idea...thoughts?

kirkblitz
August 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
If they cancel the game where will it be reschedule or will it even be reschedule at all? I'm sure app state would be pissed.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
If they cancel the game where will it be reschedule or will it even be reschedule at all? I'm sure app state would be pissed.

Doubt they will cancel at this point. They're just going to inconvenience the people who want to be in the stadium and I-10 regardless now...

Someone on LSU site suggested pushing the Tigers games against NT to Nov. and playing App St on Sept 14

JohnStOnge
August 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM

If they're right about what the storm is likely to do, this storm will move westward. In fact, if you go to the weather underground page only two of the six they show have the center making landfall in Louisiana. Three show landfall in Texas and one shows it heading for Texas but curling south before it gets there.

To me, West is not the direction to evacuate in this case.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_model.gif

JohnStOnge
August 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM

And did the fact that they canceled the LSU game that time make it better?

CamelCityAppFan
August 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Nah...as long as the check clears...xsmiley_wix

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Also worth noting - the NO people have to sit and allow the people who are closer to the coast -- the low-lying area people go first, in a perfect world. They have the farthest to go and that is why Contraflow starts late, because that's when everyone should be on the roads.

The low-lying folks have started evacuating and will go into mandatory evacuation tomorrow. The NOLA folks will start evacuating the special needs folks and then go into mandatory Sunday.

It's a smart idea if you ask me...Houston did the same thing in Rita (allowed the people in Galveston, etc evacuate first before Houston proper)...

FYI -- post on TigerDroppings.com where a fan has stated he's hearing the game could still be canceled (not confirmed) -- http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=9551477 -- take it as grain of salt til link provided.

Again, TT, didn't try to make you mad, but obviously any question I ask you take personally. Anyways, I didn't realize people in NO couldn't leave. I didn't know they had to wait to evacuate. Nevertheless, I agreed with you earlier about more important things than football. Clearly, you feel strongly, and that's fine, but calm down dude, no one here is against you. I just asked some questions--because I didn't know the answer. Easy killer.

ASUMountaineer
August 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I think I saw on CNN that they typically begin evacuation 50 hours prior to expected landfall (mandatory evac). The anchor was speculating that would begin tomorrow evening sometime.

Right, but they can still voluntarily evacuate. I am speaking for myself if I were there. I would have tried to leave yesterday.

JohnStOnge
August 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Dead on. Right now we have a hurricane that hasn't even hit Cuba yet. They're reasonably confident it's going to hit somewhere between Corpus Christi, Texas, and the Florida/Alabama border.

If the forecasts are correct, the thing will just be entering the Gulf of Mexico at the time the App/LSU game would've ended if played as originally scheduled. Louisiana Governor Jindal said ""The general rule is to order (start) contraflow 30 hours before landfall." (see http://www.lsubeat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/SPORTS0202/808280332 ).

Landfall at this time is predicted for about 1 am CST Tuesday morning IF the storm hits Louisiana. 30 hours prior to that is 7 pm Sunday evening. That's over 20 hours after the LSU game would've ended if played as originally scheduled.

Look, if we are going to react like this to Hurricanes preparing to enter the Gulf, we are going to be paralyzed. If you live on the immediate coast of Louisiana, in Florida, etc., you have made the decision to live in a hurricane risk area. You should not expect the whole world to accommodate you because of the decision you made to live in that kind of zone. And if you're worried about it, you should evacuate well head of time everytime you think a storm MIGHT cause a problem.

YOU should take responsibility for evacuating far enough ahead of time so that people in places like Baton Rouge don't have to adjust THEIR plans to accommodate YOUR last minute decision to flee to safety.

BeauFoster
August 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Dead on. Right now we have a hurricane that hasn't even hit Cuba yet. They're reasonably confident it's going to hit somewhere between Corpus Christi, Texas, and the Florida/Alabama border.

If the forecasts are correct, the thing will just be entering the Gulf of Mexico at the time the App/LSU game would've ended if played as originally scheduled. Louisiana Governor Jindal said ""The general rule is to order (start) contraflow 30 hours before landfall." (see http://www.lsubeat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/SPORTS0202/808280332 ).

Landfall at this time is predicted for about 1 am CST Tuesday morning IF the storm hits Louisiana. 30 hours prior to that is 7 pm Sunday evening. That's over 20 hours after the LSU game would've ended if played as originally scheduled.

Look, if we are going to react like this to Hurricanes preparing to enter the Gulf, we are going to be paralized. If you live on the immediate coast of Louisiana, in Florida, etc., you have made the decision to live in a hurricane risk area. You should not expect the whole world to accommodate you because of the decision you made to live in that kind of zone.

JSO, please stop making so much sense! xsmiley_wix

BEAR
August 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
TT,

If you head north and need a spot to reside for a couple of days, stop by Conway and I'll put you and your family up for a few days until you can get back to Houston. xthumbsupx I know you're familiar with the area anyway and I noticed the track of the hurricane is possibly heading right toward Arkansas so you might not be much happier here. The second event of mass destruction will occur gameday at Estes Stadium when Bomar and crew visit Brown and company and realize that little wind called Gustov wasn't that bad after all. xlolx xcoolx

blackfordpu
August 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM
TT, they are still not sure where the storm is going to hit. Give it until Sunday at least before making a decision.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Again, TT, didn't try to make you mad, but obviously any question I ask you take personally. Anyways, I didn't realize people in NO couldn't leave. I didn't know they had to wait to evacuate.

We can leave -- and a lot of people will -- but that's what they ask you to do.

Personal update -- wife and I prepared for a possible evacuation this evening. Cleared her car and moved some things around, packed some things up and such.

We'll make a decision tomorrow. I hope that I can make one early, but I may not be able to. Could be crazy.

JohnStOnge
August 29th, 2008, 08:00 PM
An 8 pm EST update below. Still doesn't look like it's a good idea to go west from New Orleans. If I was in Lake Charles, where McNeese is, I'd be concerned.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_model.gif

turbodean
August 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Solution: move the game to Boone. xlolx

JohnStOnge
August 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Below is a graphic of a whole bunch of model outputs. It's from the Florida Water Management District at https://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page?_pageid=2854,19644915,2854_19644936:2854_1964 5022:2854_19645029&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL .

My take is that, while it looks bad for the Lake Charles area right now, things are shifting to the West.

https://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_07

blackfordpu
August 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Houston is still in the clear.

McTailGator
August 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
CANCEL THE GAME!

Let me play devil's advocate -- I'm not sure where I stand on this one, but if this game causes me traffic in evacuating, I may be speaking from the heart...

We already got increasing gridlock heading out of Crescent City to BR and westward. There's gas stations that are already being reported as out of gas on WWL radio by callers.

There's parents calling in saying their LSU students want to stay and they want those kids to come home to evacuate together. They feel LSU is encouraging students and fans to stay in Baton Rouge by having the game while Louisiana is on a state of emergency.

Keeping this game is causing problems. Those people will just add to the problems that is an evacuation process which will turn contraflow at approximately 6 p.m on Saturday night pending who you ask.

This is extremely ridiculous that concessions are being made a football game. As much as I love FCS, everyone is preparing to get ready for the storm and this contest will add more aggravation and tie-ups on the highway for those who are trying to head for higher ground...

I don't think so.

The thing will still be 3 days from coming ashore!

I do believe that LSU should have told ESPN to kiss their @$$ on the 10AM start time, and told them, Kick off is at 2:PM. With or without cameras.

Everyone in La, needs to chill out and quit freaking out. This will not be as bad as Rita or that other storm that hit La. in 05.

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Everyone in La, needs to chill out and quit freaking out. This will not be as bad as Rita or that other storm that hit La. in 05.

Can you tell my wife that? I really don't want to evacuate...

We have a friend coming to our apartment at 7:30 a.m tomorrow who will tag along if and when we evacuate. Gah!

Lulu
August 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM

You can always crash with Great App and me. We are 6 hrs from Red Stick and 2.5 hrs. closer than Ft Worth. Hey we even allow pets!

...for a modest fee, of course... ;)

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM
You can always crash with Great App and me. We are 6 hrs from Red Stick and 2.5 hrs. closer than Ft Worth. Hey we even allow pets!

...for a modest fee, of course... ;)

Where you guys at? May need to take you guys up on the offer... xnodx

Lulu
August 29th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Where you guys at? May need to take you guys up on the offer... xnodx

We're right off I-20 in East Texas... closest big town is Tyler.

Retro
August 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
LOOK, Cancelling this game with the storm at least 3 days from landfall at any given point not certain would do no good! Many of the people attending the game have likely made plans to evacuate staright from the game.. People are responsible enough to know when to leave and how to leave... It's very likely the game will be about 10-20,000 less in attendance because of this which will put less people in the area anyway..

That being said, i would guess 20% of the louisiana coastal population has already moved out starting tonight especially with those headed further north toward dallas or arkansas and most will leave throughout saturday in moderate numbers... That leaves sunday and i guarantee you that the last rush will be sunday morning and the roads will begin to clear out sunday afternoon along the I-10 stretch of the state... This is if the path remains somewhere in louisiana.. Stations in Lake charles were already out of gas by noon today, thus indicating most people are prepping to leave early, so less mess on road as before..

ronpayne
August 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM

I hope you are right. And that other storm was Katrina, and killed bunches. I, no more than anybody, want the game cancelled (and I think moving the time up was a good compromise because of a later landfill)....

As I said once, we ALL pray you are right and that the storm just dies down before hitting land. To our brethren in LA, God Speed.

patssle
August 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM
People are responsible enough to know when to leave and how to leave.

No. This is Lousiana we're talking about...

Retro
August 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
No. This is Lousiana we're talking about...

Don't confuse people from the lower 9th ward and pre-katrina with everyone else in the state and post-katrina... People have learned there lesson if they didn't before katrina.

Hoyadestroya85
August 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
they're predicting a non sellout

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I continue to be of the opinion that, if you're in the Southeastern tip of Louisiana, west is not the direction to evacuate in. If you look at the second graphic below you'll see one model that shows impact on the Florida panhandle but all of the other ones show tracks west of New Orleans.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_model.gif

http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_07.gif

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 01:26 AM
they're predicting a non sellout

no way its even close.......60-65 thousand is my bet

CSUBUCDAD
August 30th, 2008, 06:26 AM
If my ass was anywhere in SE La I would head east, not west. Most models are starting to drift west and you don't want he storm chasing you into Texas. Use the same logic seaman use to avoid a hurricane. Head perpendicular to the track on the east side of the storm once, the storm is directly behind you, turn on an opposite heading to the track until it passes. That will mean you have to go east, not west.

bodoyle
August 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I'm not trying to be a moron here, but with the hurricane not expected to hit until Monday night or Tuesday morning, why move a SATURDAY game?

Yes, I'm from Chicago and we don't have hurricanes here, but I've had my fair share while being a student at CCU. We almost had to re-do my 2nd semester of freshman year b/c we missed so many days.

AppGrad06
August 30th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I say screw east and west. I'd go due north

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Looks like Appy should have wished it to be canceled, sheesh. ;)

SoCon48
August 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Looks like Appy should have wished it to be canceled, sheesh.

28 points to LSU? Bring your sorry azz team to Boone and we'll show you what 28 looks like in the first 10 minutes.

Grizalltheway
August 30th, 2008, 01:33 PM
28 points to LSU? Bring your sorry azz team to Boone and we'll show you what 28 looks like in the first 10 minutes.

xlolx Feeling a little touchy, are we?

APPALACHIANstate
August 30th, 2008, 01:35 PM
xlolx Feeling a little touchy, are we?

Yeah, I need somebody to hold me too...

xlolx xlolx

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Man, you App St. fans sure have one sore loser.

Grizalltheway
August 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Man, you App St. fans sure are sore losers.

For the most part, no. Only one comes to mind right now. xcoffeex

APPALACHIANstate
August 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Man, you App St. fans sure are sore losers.

Show me how many app fans have been sore losers.

SoCon48 is the only poster I have seen and when isn't he out of control.

App can handle losses, we have done so the past 3 years.

SoCon48
August 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
And you Sam Houston's sure are poor sports. Trying to rub in a 28 point loss??? Hell, LSU would tear your butts up so bad it would make Gustav look like a playground dirt devil.
Sorry to disappoint you that we didn't lose worse.

APPALACHIANstate
August 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
And you Sam Houston's sure are poor sports. Trying to rub in a 28 point loss??? Hell, LSU would tear your butts up so bad it would make Gustav look like a playground dirt devil.

SoCon48 =/= All App Fans
Alexale23 =/= All JMU Fans

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Hey man, lay off the Red Bull.

SoCon48
August 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Show me how many app fans have been sore losers.

SoCon48 is the only poster I have seen and when isn't he out of control.

App can handle losses, we have done so the past 3 years.

I'm not a sore loser at all. I just think it's rather ****ty when posters try to make out like losing 28 points to last year's FBS National Champion LSU as some kind of disgrace.
I'm still proud of my Apps and glad we had the opportunity to face them in the Bayou.
I seriously doubt any of the poor sports on here's team would have done any better.

SoCon48
August 30th, 2008, 01:59 PM
SoCon48 =/= All App Fans
Alexale23 =/= All JMU Fans

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sorry to disappoint you. I'm just not standing around while a bunch of losers diss the Apps.

By the way, exactly where was I a sore loser?? The game went about like I thought it would except I thought LSU's scoring would have been a little more evenly distributed.

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Sorry to disappoint you. I'm just not standing around while a bunch of losers diss the Apps.

Has anyone actually "dissed" your team? I don't think so.

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
For the most part, no. Only one comes to mind right now. xcoffeex

Fixed it. :)

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
ha disregard crazy posts...............how bout ECU!

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
ha disregard crazy posts...............how bout ECU!

Yea, they totally destroyed my college pick'em today. xsmhx

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Yea, they totally destroyed my college pick'em today. xsmhx

i picked ECU in that game!

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
FYI...

LSU has called off the volleyball tournament they were to host this weekend. Saw that Rice already moved into the Baylor tournament, in which two of the schools already had matches impacted last weekend (Baylor and UTSA)....

LSU has not decided whether to cancel the FB game against Troy yet, but I have a feeling that they might...

spelunker64
September 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
I thought they played this game already...

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
I thought they played this game already...

They did -- I'm just presenting facts re: Gustav and it's lingering impact on LSU, Baton Rouge.

813Jag
September 3rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Southern is attempting to work with LSU to practice at their indoor facility. The team is still slated to leave for Nashville tomorrow. So far they haven't practiced outside of their usual light practice on Sunday.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Glad LSU didn't mess this one up and play...

LSU's game against Troy postponed until Nov. 15
by Jim Kleinpeter, The Times-Picayune
Wednesday September 03, 2008, 11:34 AM

BATON ROUGE - The LSU-Troy football game scheduled for Saturday has been postponed, sources at Troy and LSU confirmed Wednesday

LSU officials will make an announcement at a 2 p.m. press conference. The schools are making plans to move the game to Nov. 15, a common open date for both.

Most of Baton Rouge is still without power in the aftermath of Hurricane Gustav. Also,Tiger Stadium received some minor damage and is still without electricity.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2008/09/lsus_game_against_troy_postpon.html

elcid96
September 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Too bad that this game was not cancelled. The hype around App State would have continued until they played another FBS school.

Mountaineer
September 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Too bad that this game was not cancelled. The hype around App State would have continued until they played another FBS school.

Considering the outcome - I'm glad it was played in a half empty Tiger Stadium, in the morning, and on ESPN Classic. xlolx The less people who saw it the better. :p

SoCon48
September 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Considering the outcome - I'm glad it was played in a half empty Tiger Stadium, in the morning, and on ESPN Classic. xlolx The less people who saw it the better. :p

The camera crew did an excellent job. Every shot in the first half made the stadium look jammed. Even the end zones all the way to the top.xeyebrowx

Mountaineer
September 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
The camera crew did an excellent job. Every shot in the first half made the stadium look jammed. Even the end zones all the way to the top.xeyebrowx

There were twenty people left in the joint during the second half. xlolx

SoCon48
September 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
There were twenty people left in the joint during the second half. xlolx

Second half...with evacuation already underway...I'd have been long gone. No brainer!

Hopefully App fans were still there to see us do a much better of containing the Tiges.
Actually through the third quarter, it looked pretty much half full. More than any of us in FCS play before routinely.

Mountaineer
September 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I thought we played an admirable second half. I was proud of 'em. xthumbsupx A few, okay 8, less dropped passes and it might have been a different ballgame. xnodx

NDB
September 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I thought we played an admirable second half. I was proud of 'em. xthumbsupx A few, okay 8, less dropped passes and it might have been a different ballgame. xnodx

didn't realize it was that close

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Mountaineer
September 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
didn't realize it was that close

Should've paid more attention. xreadx

It's hard to get any momentum on offensive when guys can't hold onto the ball. A couple of quick slants..maybe a TD and FG..and things could've changed. Not saying a win was probable, but a more respectable first half. I think that's fair.