PDA

View Full Version : Clock Fiasco

turfdoc
August 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM
The new clock rules are going to wreak havoc on our sensibilities. I live in Canada so the choices for games were limited but I watched the Stanford Vs Oregon State game last night and these are my observations on the new clock rules (besides just screaming how AWFUL they are).

I counted 3 times when I team went out of bounds in the 4th quarter (10:00, 6:25, and 4 minute mark) where the clock did not restart when the ball was set. An obvious mistake by the refs.
Pac Ten Refs couldn’t even get it right…..what are the MVC, MEAC and other refs going to look like???????

If the ball is run out of bounds and the clock stops at exactly 2 minutes left in the game, the clock will start and be able to run the clock down to 1:35 (Stanford didn’t do this giving Oregon state a chance).

I counted in the final 6 minutes of the game a total of 1 minute of extra clock time that ran off the clock that would not have had this rule not been in effect. That is independent of the fact that Oregon State was aware that the time would be running off the clock and running their hurry up even when the ball was run out of bounds. That was 1 minute of time gone out of the last 6 minutes while running a hurry-up offense.

How much time was lost in the first three quarters?

They’re shortening our games to cram more television commercials in. Making it harder to stage a comeback in the fourth quarter and yet we the fans take it.

I am fuming about this, sorry about the rant

ChantDad
August 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM
If the ball is run out of bounds and the clock stops at exactly 2 minutes left in the game, the clock will start and be able to run the clock down to 1:35 (Stanford didn’t do this giving Oregon state a chance).

Correct me if I'm wrong but even with the new rule inside the final 2 minutes, I think the clock stays stopped until the ball is snapped.

I do like the quicker pace, but it puts more pressure in the officials. If the officials are not huslting it will penalize the teams and the fans.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM
The new clock rules are going to wreak havoc on our sensibilities. I live in Canada so the choices for games were limited but I watched the Stanford Vs Oregon State game last night and these are my observations on the new clock rules (besides just screaming how AWFUL they are).

I counted 3 times when I team went out of bounds in the 4th quarter (10:00, 6:25, and 4 minute mark) where the clock did not restart when the ball was set. An obvious mistake by the refs.
Pac Ten Refs couldn’t even get it right…..what are the MVC, MEAC and other refs going to look like???????

I counted in the final 6 minutes of the game a total of 1 minute of extra clock time that ran off the clock that would not have had this rule not been in effect. That is independent of the fact that Oregon State was aware that the time would be running off the clock and running their hurry up even when the ball was run out of bounds. That was 1 minute of time gone out of the last 6 minutes while running a hurry-up offense.

How much time was lost in the first three quarters?

They’re shortening our games to cram more television commercials in. Making it harder to stage a comeback in the fourth quarter and yet we the fans take it.

I am fuming about this, sorry about the rant

Too many commercials as it is. Hard for a team to keep momentum.

turfdoc
August 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but even with the new rule inside the final 2 minutes, I think the clock stays stopped until the ball is snapped.

I do like the quicker pace, but it puts more pressure in the officials. If the officials are not huslting it will penalize the teams and the fans.

The rule is interpreted is that the clock restarts at 2:00 left.

It would stay stopped at 1:59.

The pace is not quicker, they're are just fewer plays. The team running the clock out now can do it much easier because they can still work the sidelines.

I Bleed Purple
August 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Aside from running the clock out in the fourth, I noticed negligible change last night. The earliest the ball was set that I noticed was around 33 seconds, and the latest was at 24, on a long out of bounds play I think. Teams were breaking the huddle when the ball was set and no waste of time.

I don't think there was a single time the playclock ran below ten before a snap of the ball. Delaying the game to shorten it would really play havoc with the rhythm of the offense. I'll look up the amount of plays run, but it seemed there were more rather than less.

Another good thing at the end of games. Less pressure on the refs. Years past, when the offense is running clock, they'd run a play, and try to delay the ball getting to the refs, running more clock. You wouldn't get uniform playclock starts. Here it makes no difference.

After one game, I'm fine with the clock