PDA

View Full Version : NDSU rolls Austin Peay

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM
NDSU held AP to 91 yards total offense. 35 yards passing 56 rushing.

xsmhx xeekx xbowx

Nice.

NDSU - 41

Austin Peay - 6

No_Skill
August 29th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Overall, I thought we looked pretty sloppy. Terrible tackles on kickoffs and I expect more from the O-Line. We need improvement if we expect to win the MVFC.

stevdock
August 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
8-9-10 man fronts are gonna be kinda tough to run against. Good thing Mertens was able to find the open guys then tonight. Once AP went to a consistent 7 man front we had no problems running against them. We will need to be able to run against 8 in the box, but I'm not too worried right now. The other thing was Mertens didn't audible the entire game. I don't know if that was an option for him at all tonight. As far as the Kickoffs, their return guy was very good. We didn't wrap up but he fought for every yard he got. Highlights was giving up around 20 yards in the first half and 91 for the game.

I wouldn't say it was a sloppy game. (Sloppy was last years opener)

slostang
August 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Let's go Peay.

Hoyadestroya85
August 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM
austin peay has a football team?

Lionsrking
August 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
austin peay has a football team?

Are they at 63 scholarships yet? I know they were non-scholarship up until a couple of years ago...curious if they're at the full allotment yet.

FargoBison
August 29th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Overall, I thought we looked pretty sloppy. Terrible tackles on kickoffs and I expect more from the O-Line. We need improvement if we expect to win the MVFC.

Kickoffs were sloppy but after that I thought the team played great. Defense was a brick wall and Mertens showed opposing coaches that he can put up big numbers if you stuff the box.

JBB
August 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM
AP has 60 Scholies this season.

They were a little undersized and overmatched at most positions. They almost brought the opening kickoff back for a score.

NDSU needs to polish a few things up next week. We need to make some progress if we want to be ready for Wyoming in a couple weeks. Last years Wyo team would have beaten us last night.

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Coach kept the offense really vanilla last night. I expect to see the same thing next week in the way of keeping the wraps on the playbook. I do expect that they will be working on correcting some of the things like kickoff coverage which looked real rusty last night. Otherwise it was a good opening game for Mertens, he has a great arm. Really though I hope he gets tested a bit more next week. He's going to need to show he can make the right decisions when we play Wyo, it's not going to be the cakewalk last nights game was thats for sure.

Thunderstruck84
August 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I thought the game went a long ways in answering some of the questions about the perceived weaknesses on the team. Mertens gos 16-18 for 304 yards and 3 tds, the defense held APSU to 35 yards passing, and the punting game was solid. Kickoff coverage and the one INT Mertens threw was really the only smudge on the night.

Hopefully they can keep it up when the get into the conference schedule and start playing more quality teams.

Go Bison
August 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I think last nights game accomplished quite a bit. Lots of reserves got to play, our QB got some game time in and needed to come through on 3rd down a few times, and no real injuries that I know of. Also, there are places that need to improve which are special teams, and the run game. All and all, it was a good first game.

Go Bison
August 29th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Sorry for the duplicate posts, the website seems to be holding up my response.

GaSouthern
August 29th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Makes me feel alot better about the GSU game next week. I knew nothing about AP until late.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
NDSU is the real deal, they were last year.

Keep the chip on your shoulder, there is only one program likely to knock it off.

X-Factor
August 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
our scrubs played the 4th Q. NDSU has quite a bit of depth this year compared to the last two 10-1 teams and they were subbing substantially throughout the game which even coach Bohl admitted is something new. I was happy with the punting(Prelvits had a somewhat Drago'ish 44yrd avg), offense, and defense. What needs work is a blessing in disguise because I feel those areas (special teams tackling and O-line run blocking) are things that can be cleared up in the next week or two. This team is already really good and could get a lot better if the opposition doesn't get consistent 40yrd returns. The defense especially is considerably better than last year even with a couple starters sitting out.

Can't wait for the Wyoming game!! Should be a fairly even matchup IMO. Obviously Wyo has the advantage with home field and all.

Hoyadestroya85
August 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM
thats the kinda game you simply shouldn't be allowed to schedule.. i'm sorry

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Wouldn't surprise me at all if you Rohle into Laramie and beat the Cowboys.

Thundar
August 29th, 2008, 06:02 PM

WHY?????

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Why, they are FCS, 60 schollie and went 7-4 in the OVC last year. We can't seem to get the Montana Schools to come into Fargo, are we supposed to travel only to the top tier FCS to play our OOC schedule? Yeah right xoopsx

skinny_uncle
August 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Good to see you getting your season off on the right foot. Congrats!

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I am sure the Montana schools will swing by in a year or two when your current team is dismantled.

Can't speak for MSU but the Griz want no part of you guys right now.

Syntax Error
August 29th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Why, they are FCS, 60 schollie and went 7-4 in the OVC last year. We can't seem to get the Montana Schools to come into Fargo, are we supposed to travel only to the top tier FCS to play our OOC schedule? Yeah right xoopsxignore that smack, obviously the person is challenged. Ask alphagriz(bison)1 about why Montana schools won't come. Maybe he can read and not post smack but some reasoned discussion.

Syntax Error
August 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I am sure the Montana schools will swing by in a year or two when your current team is dismantled.

oops, too late, he can't read either. this isn't your open board, this is for discussion and not chest thumping or smack. xcoffeex

TheBisonator
August 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM

And you know why the Griz want nothing to do with us, right??

Lack of testicular matter.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Montana would be a great team to have home/home series.....both easy sell-outs at each home. MSU probably will not ever come to Fargo...don't they owe us a return date xconfusedx xconfusedx

Good 1st game...mistakes but 1st games have them...nothing that cannot be worked on and fixed.

CCSU will be a total annhilation.....Bison 63-0 :D :D

proasu89
August 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Let's go Peay.

Let's Go! (Clap,Clap)

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
ignore that smack, obviously the person is challenged. Ask alphagriz(bison)1 about why Montana schools won't come. Maybe he can read and not post smack but some reasoned discussion.

Point well taken I should have just ignored it. xnodx

SteelCurtain
August 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Our defense was everything I thought we could be this year. We will be very to score on. The o-line had better get it together though. They were pushed around by a bunch of guys that were an avg 30-40 pounds lighter than we were. I have never seen our line look so bad. But the bright side was the QB play which with some games under his belt will be one of the top QB's ever to play at NDSU. A cannon of an arm and accuracy to boot.

Knowing our coaching staff and the quality linemen we have I am guessing we will be back to normal next week. Can't wait for the big test(wyoming)

Maroons
August 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well, I didn't expect this game to be close... but I didn't expect Peay to be so thoroughly dominated either.

Is this part of a home and home series or did you guys pay Peay to come in as a "body bag" game?

X-Factor
August 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Peay received 40k plus charter flight payed by NDSU.

Hoyadestroya85
August 30th, 2008, 02:15 PM
ok... garbage... i get labeled as smack for that when i really had no clue.. thank you sytax error

spelunker64
August 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Starting Center got hurt in the game, could be out 1-2 weeks. Septak will move over and RFr Richard will start at Guard. He did play a bunch on Thursday though