PDA

View Full Version : Pete's Preseason "Poll"

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Our good friend Pete has release his "preseason power poll" which features App St on top of the standings.

1 App St
2 NDSU
3 UMass
4 Hampton
5 Montana
6 Fordham
7 Eastern Ill
8 McNeese
9 Cal Poly
10 Liberty

What is humorous is that Pete says, "In alphabetical order, this year's new teams to Pete's are Bryant, Iona, Marist, NC Central, North Dakota, Presbyterian, South Dakota and Winston-Salem. To be fair, all of these clubs will begin the season at the 51st position."

And later says, "We do not track mid-major conferences and their members. With no disrespect to the Ivy, SWAC, or Mid-major programs ... we merely chose to rank those clubs that are eligible for, and historically have participated in the play-off. There are post-season eligibility changes slated for 2010, and any changes to the poll will be made at that time. "

If I am not mistaken, Iona, Bryant and Marist would consist of what he deems as 'mid-majors'.

http://petespoll.com/petespowerpoll.shtml

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
And if you need it...Pete has taken a shot at some of us on AGS...

It seems that many pundits have little to do with their time, other than "nit pick" others that love and promote I-AA/FCS football. With this in mind, Pete's Power Poll does not sample other individuals ...so technically it is not a "poll". The Power Poll is similar to the BCS is IA/FBS ball. The main difference between the Power Poll and a BCS poll, is that readers will see how all of the clubs progress throughout the entire season. We do not wait until the fourth or fifth week of the season to publish our first poll. In the beginning of the season, it is very common for clubs to move up or down in tremendous fashion. So don't lose faith; as it is more than possible for a club at the bottom to move up to the top. Obviously, the poll will become far more accurate as the season progresses, when teams have more games played ... especially once conference play begins.

Tribe4SF
August 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...."Oh my"!!!xrotatehx

Poly Pigskin
August 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
... we merely chose to rank those clubs that are eligible for, and historically have participated in the play-off.

So he also should have excluded all the transitional schools, since they aren't eligible for playoffs.

SeattleGriz
August 28th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Hats off to Pedro.

At least this poll doesn't have the Gateway conference occupying 8 of the top 10 spots as usual.

By the way, it's Petes flippin Poll. As soon as people who criticize, myself excluded, come up with their own poll, I got one thing to say, "quit yer' bitchin'".

OL FU
August 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hats off to Pedro.

At least this poll doesn't have the Gateway conference occupying 8 of the top 10 spots as usual.

By the way, it's Petes flippin Poll. As soon as people who criticize, myself excluded, come up with their own poll, I got one thing to say, "quit yer' bitchin'".

I vote in the AGS poll so I can bitch all I want:p :p xsmiley_wix

BeauFoster
August 28th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Hampton? xwhistlex

Thundar
August 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
North Dakota and South Dakota????

UAalum72
August 28th, 2008, 06:58 AM
More hilarious than ever:

"There are post-season eligibility changes slated for 2010" - factually wrong, there are no changes to eligiblity, just changes to automatic bid availability, which actually have been refined THIS year to specifically include the NEC, a league he won't rank because it's "mid-major", a term not recognized by the NCAA, an organization which actually does choose playoff teams.

Marist and Iona, who were unworthy of the power poll last year by virtue of membership in the MAAC, are in this year without changing their 'no-scholarship' philosophy because they're independent, but Marist will be unworthy again next year when it joins the Pioneer League.

Bryant, not eligible for the playoffs because it's transitional, is in this year, but will not be worthy after it joins the NEC, when it actually WILL be eligible for the playoffs.

But of course Pete's "is completely driven on performance, not the opinions of individuals" - except the opinion of Pete as to who is worthy - "this makes the poll almost completely unbiased" - except for the biases of the one person who makes up the poll and rates how much an opponent is worth.

Pete's "means no disrespect to ... mid-majors" but his words and actions show nothing but disrespect.

appfan2008
August 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Our good friend Pete has release his "preseason power poll" which features App St on top of the standings.

1 App St
2 NDSU
3 UMass
4 Hampton
5 Montana
6 Fordham
7 Eastern Ill
8 McNeese
9 Cal Poly
10 Liberty

What is humorous is that Pete says, "In alphabetical order, this year's new teams to Pete's are Bryant, Iona, Marist, NC Central, North Dakota, Presbyterian, South Dakota and Winston-Salem. To be fair, all of these clubs will begin the season at the 51st position."

And later says, "We do not track mid-major conferences and their members. With no disrespect to the Ivy, SWAC, or Mid-major programs ... we merely chose to rank those clubs that are eligible for, and historically have participated in the play-off. There are post-season eligibility changes slated for 2010, and any changes to the poll will be made at that time. "

If I am not mistaken, Iona, Bryant and Marist would consist of what he deems as 'mid-majors'.

typical from pete... it is never quite right

Fordham
August 28th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Why am I the only one who doesn't see a problem here?

;)

EmeryZach
August 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM
UMass is way too high at #3. I hate when we get ranked high because we are better as the underdog.

ATrain
August 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I agree with 1 and 2...and as a Liberty fan/alum, I can tell you that in the top 25 is probably too high and putting us at #10 means someone's on something.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I agree with 1 and 2...and as a Liberty fan/alum, I can tell you that in the top 25 is probably too high and putting us at #10 means someone's on something.

He puts the top team in every league amongst his top 10...that is why you guys are amongst the top 10, because he projects you guys to win the Big South.

EKU Pride
August 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM

1 App St
2 NDSU
3 UMass
4 Hampton
5 Montana
6 Fordham
7 Eastern Ill
8 McNeese
9 Cal Poly
10 Liberty

RE-PETE your poll PETE because something is just not right with it!!

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I think we need to stop feeding this guy. Maybe if we ignore it, he will finally stop. Perhaps Pete is the guy who will find the cure for cancer, but he's wasting his time ranking Hampton, Fordham and Liberty in the top 10? xeyebrowx

danefan
August 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Is this poll used in the GPI?

I wouldn't be surprised. There are some crazy rankings systems taken into the GPI. One of which I believe had Albany at #10 for a few weeks.

HPCAT
August 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
And if you need it...Pete has taken a shot at some of us on AGS...

Quote:
It seems that many pundits have little to do with their time, other than "nit pick" others that love and promote I-AA/FCS football. With this in mind, Pete's Power Poll does not sample other individuals ...so technically it is not a "poll".

Sounds like he nailed you pretty good..........LMAO

He has an opinion just like every one else, he just has the balls to publish it knowing full well self proclaimed keyboard gurus like yourself will ridicule him for it.

And FYI, you should know the name of your favorite University by now, but I will correct you once again.

The legal name of TXST is Texas State University - San Marcos, there never will be or has been a Texas State - San Marcos, so if you continue to live in your anal world and have to use San Marcos, do it correctly please.

OMG, did I just go anal on you ?......................xlolx

PantherRob82
August 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM
4 Hampton xlolx
6 Fordham xlolx
7 Eastern Ill xlolx
10 Liberty xlolx