PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly @ UC Davis

SochorField
October 24th, 2005, 11:18 PM
This is HUGE. Remember last year?
Homecoming at Toomey Field...should be an incredible game...AGAIN.
Major Great West Football Conference title implications here.

Any thoughts?

We've got the 'Shoe!

Jacks02
October 24th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Any thoughts?

Go UC Davis!

CatFan22
October 24th, 2005, 11:25 PM
UC Davis is a pretty tough team to beat this year. I look for Cal Poly to play well after the loss at Montana, but I think this game will come down to the wire.

aggie6thman
October 24th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Oh it is going to be a great game. Ags win, with Garnett out, poly has nobody to get the ball to their receivers and with the stingy Aggie D that gave up 8 yards to Steffes will close down the holes. Tough start for the backups in this one.

The 'Shoe stays right where it belongs for another year!

OrneryAggie
October 24th, 2005, 11:44 PM
The ags are gamers and step up when the stakes are higher. But the home team hasn't won in this series yet this century. Poly's got fate on their side. Injuries taking a toll on both sides: Garnett and Martinez for Poly; Fells, Sharp, Doris, and Compas for the ags. This is a big rivalry now and there's no way you can make an accurate prediction in a rivalry game. Just gotta show up and duke it out. Should be a blast.

slostang
October 24th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Do not count Cal Poly out just because Garnett is out. Cal Poly ran for 226 yards on a Montana team that was only giving up 84 yards rushing a game. As far as not having a QB to get the ball to the receivers we will see. Having a running back (James Noble) that is averaging 7.1 yards a carry and 120 yards rushing a game and 6'6" Ramses Barden to throw to will help any QB. And you will have to score to win and I like our defenses chances with Gocong going against a banged up Aggie offensive line. I hope the Aggies think this one is in the bag.

Jacks02
October 24th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I was at the games against both Poly and Davis and was impressed with both teams. It should be a great game, only pulling for UC Davis to keep our hopes alive for a share of the conference title!

slostang
October 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Jacks02,

Good luck this week against GSU. Bring home another great win for the GWFC.

Grizo406
October 25th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Barden, Noble, and Gocong are all studs that gave the Griz way more than we wanted, and are part of a very well coached team that is definitely for real.

I hope we don't have to see them again this season, but I wish them luck against UC Davis.

Jacks99
October 25th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Great matchup. Game of the week for the GWFC. Should be down to the wire.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Wish I could watch this one... it's sad that both UCD and now Poly are so banged up. While Garnett looked _really_ good in ZooCity last weekend, I was thinking all the Stangs need to do is have anyone pitch the ball up in the air and just let Barden outjump the backs for it. It totally bums me out that he's just a freshman and we're gonna have to see that guy out west for the next three years :(

Speaking of Garnett, what's his status? Was it a season ender?

OrneryAggie
October 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Wish I could watch this one...

The game will be televised by Comcast sports. If I can watch delaware or lehigh every saturday morning out here I'm hoping this game will be avialble on the dish across the country.

ucdtim17
October 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Awesome defense vs. awesome defense. Hopefully the homecoming/big crowd factor can make a difference. It will be televised on Comcast, everyone should be able to find it. Can't wait

slostang
October 25th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Wish I could watch this one... it's sad that both UCD and now Poly are so banged up. While Garnett looked _really_ good in ZooCity last weekend, I was thinking all the Stangs need to do is have anyone pitch the ball up in the air and just let Barden outjump the backs for it. It totally bums me out that he's just a freshman and we're gonna have to see that guy out west for the next three years :(

Speaking of Garnett, what's his status? Was it a season ender?

He is getting a MRI today, but from what I hear he is most likely done for the season. We will know more on Wednesday.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 25th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Well, best wishes to him from many of us in Griz Nation. It's always sad to see a kid go down, especially with 25 seconds to go in a "lost cause" drive to end a game.

AmsterBison
October 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Man, I hated to hear that about Garnett. Good luck to both teams - hope nobody else goes down.

Poly Pigskin
October 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Brennan, Garnett's backup, only has to manage the game. Keep in mind that he has played against a tough D already this year at Troy. Granted, that was the first game, but it's better than nothing. We've had the fortune of being up early in every I-AA game this season, so if that trend continues then we should be ok. Look for trouble if we get behind and have to go to the air a lot though. I'm looking now for a way to catch this game on dish in SLO. Go Poly, let's get that 'shoe!

SochorField
October 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Aggies, big

slostang
October 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Aggies, big

I agree, a big loss. Go Mustangs.

ngineer
October 25th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I call this a 'pick 'em' game and low scoring with the good defenses. 17-16.

OrneryAggie
October 25th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Last year was supposed to be dominated by Poly's D. It ended up 36-33 with UCD and Poly racking up 477 and 494yds respectively. It's a rivalry, things that aren't supposed to happen end up becoming the story of the game. I think UCD takes an early lead for once then poly makes a furious comeback, ellerson tries for a 2 pt conversion instead of the tie, no fans leave before the final second ticks off the clock. Who's year is it to play cinderella and get THE SHOE?

grizband
October 25th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Even with Garnett out, I woulnd't call this a sure things for the Ags. The way I saw Noble run against our defense was amazing. Not only did he get quite a few yards, but he was getting 6 or 7 yards a carry. This should be a great game, with Cal-Poly playing for their season.

GrizFoo
October 26th, 2005, 12:43 PM
True grizband. Plus, CP didn't do to bad against Troy with their second string guy.
Their 6'6" WR is going to be big trouble the rest of this year, and the next 3.

slostang
October 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Look for Poly to rally around Rfr Matt Brennan. Brennan is faster and has a stronger arm than Garnett. He is lacking in experience and they will keep it simple for him but it will help having RB James Noble (7.1 yards/carry and 120 yards rushing per game) and WR Ramses Barden (6'6" averaging 19.1 yards a catch and has 5 TDs) to take some of the load off him, It will also help that the Mustangs are very deep, big and talented at wide receiver with Jonah Russel, Jason Holmes, Anthony Randolph and Tredale Toliver.

Also look for some new wrinkle on the defensive side of the ball. The defense is looking to redeem themselves after a sub par performance in Montana and I think they will take it out on the Aggies.

Should be a great game with the GWFC championship on the line.