PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the FCS/FBS label is not popular

trouthunter
August 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the FCS/FBS moniker has fizzled away in the national press. Maybe we can go back to 1-AA?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
No.

vaughtdj
August 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
yeah i wouldnt mind that myself...

i never felt inferior because of the I-AA moniker, but I did feel stupid everytime I had to say FCS and FBS and no one knew what I was talking about...

Besides, we still have Division II and Division III, and we're not changing those, so lets just go back to I-AA and I-A.

CamelCityAppFan
August 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm a renegade; I still use the old I-A & I-AA. The thing I like about I-A/I-AA is that it reminds everyone that both are division I. BCS and FCS add to the confusion, instead of clearing things up.

89Hen
August 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the FCS/FBS moniker has fizzled away in the national press. Maybe we can go back to 1-AA?
Go back? I never left. I-AA it will always be for me. The change was stupid. xnonono2x

Syntax Error
August 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the FCS/FBS moniker has fizzled away in the national press. Maybe we can go back to 1-AA?No I haven't. Certain newspaper chains have not made the change but all the major sports outlets have. Besides, it was never 1-AA. :p

BlueHen86
August 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
No I haven't. Certain newspaper chains have not made the change but all the major sports outlets have. Besides, it was never 1-AA. :p
I think we should go with the Official IOC designation.xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
No I haven't. Certain newspaper chains that are clinging to the old world order and have not moved their personal technology to, say, cell phones and text messaging yet have not made the change but all the major sports outlets and pretty much everyone else in America have. Besides, it was never 1-AA. :p

Fixed it for you. xthumbsupx

Appaholic
Go back....I never left....it saved on confusion by the ignorant, smacks of inferiority complex and sounds a heluva lot better when a I-AA beats a I-A......xnodx

89Hen
all the major sports outlets have.
Pete's Poll hasn't. :p

I-AA Fan

We can only pray that we get promoted back to DI again.

BeauFoster
August 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM

A lot of folks that I run into who talk to me about ASU have no idea what FCS is. They use the I-AA moniker, so that's what I use with them. I don't have the time to explain the change and then to try and justify it's usage. People know I-A and I-AA, I'm not going to be the grammar police and try to change them.

Appaholic
August 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM
A lot of folks that I run into who talk to me about ASU have no idea what FCS is. They use the I-AA moniker, so that's what I use with them. I don't have the time to explain the change and then to try and justify it's usage. People know I-A and I-AA, I'm not going to be the grammar police and try to change them.

Exactly......and even when you do explain, it doesn't make sense to them why it was changed......looks like we have an inferiority complex.....

andy7171
August 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Exactly......and even when you do explain, it doesn't make sense to them why it was changed......looks like we have an inferiority complex.....

Yes it do. Yes it do.

You say "FBS" and people say "you mean BCS right". It's not even worth explaining over and over and over and over... xoopsx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Certain newspaper chains that are clinging to the old world order and have not moved their personal technology to, say, cell phones and text messaging yet have not made the change but all the major sports outlets and pretty much everyone else in America have.

The defense rests. :p

BeauFoster
August 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I've got a good friend, an NC State alum, who knows football (at his level). We started talking about App last season and he asked about the change (he had seen it in the Winston-Salem Journal). When I explained to him what the deal was, his response was this: "But you are a lower division. You have less scholarships and generally lower funding. You aren't on the same level as the I-A schools." And I agreed with him wholeheartedly.

Appaholic
August 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Yes it do. Yes it do.

You say "FBS" and people say "you mean BCS right". It's not even worth explaining over and over and over and over... xoopsx

So true.....I just nod my head, smile, and back away from the conversation.....

Pete's Weekly
August 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Last year we, at Pete's, used I-AA almost exclusively. This year, and for the foreseeable future, we will use I-AA/FCS. Maybe an occasional FCS/I-AA ..only for variety. FCS is ludicrous, and always will be. No one knows what it is, nor do they care. Here are the common terms used to describe FCS;

1. The smaller schools.
2. Formerly I-AA schools.
3. Non-BCS schools.

Furthermore, I have yet to here the term "FBS" used on reputable media outlets. It is "BCS" ...which is what the IA schools wanted all along, for fans to stop thinking of I-AA schools as Division-I. So, to all of you head coaches of schools in the division formerly known as I-AA ..."thanks much". Yes we are talking about you Hauck, ...and Moore ...and Keeler. Your attempts to kiss the back-ends of NCAA administrators have hurt your programs ...along with everyone else's. Sorry if this seems to be over-reacting, but it is a very sore spot with me.

Seven Would Be Nice
August 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM
It seemed to me more people were calling us 1AA after the new name came out.. before we were "D2". At least now they are getting our division right.

TheValleyRaider
August 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
This was never going to be a quick or easy change. Unless the NCAA imposed real punishment for not using the terms (which I think we all know will never happen), then we're going to have to rely on the schools and major media outlets to consistantly use the terms in their official publications, which is still not quite getting through. The TB Rays had a good idea, asking for $1 fines everytime they are accidentally referred to as "Devil Rays." People remember they're the Rays by now (though being in 1st place at the end of August will help too xeekx)

Food for thought. Colgate changed it's nickname from "Red Raiders" to "Raiders" in 2000, and yet still gets referred to as the "Red Raiders" in national media. These things take time xpeacex

Regarding 'I-AA' vs 'FCS', I tend to switch back and forth depending on the audience I'm addressing, but I tend not to be a stickler about it

BeauFoster
August 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Last year we, at Pete's, used I-AA almost exclusively. This year, and for the foreseeable future, we will use I-AA/FCS. Maybe an occasional FCS/I-AA ..only for variety. FCS is ludicrous, and always will be. No one knows what it is, nor do they care. Here are the common terms used to describe FCS;

1. The smaller schools.
3. Non-BCS schools.

Furthermore, I have yet to here the term "FBS" used on reputable media outlets. It is "BCS" ...which is what the IA schools wanted all along, for fans to stop thinking of I-AA schools as Division-I. So, to all of you head coaches of schools in the division formerly known as I-AA ..."thanks much". Yes we are talking about you Hauck, ...and Moore ...and Keeler. Your attempts to kiss the back-ends of NCAA administrators have hurt your programs ...along with everyone else's. Sorry if this seems to be over-reacting, but it is a very sore spot with me.

Coach Moore still catches himself referring to it as I-AA, and has commented that he doesn't understand the change. If you're saying that he was one of the proponents of the change (which I'm not sure if you are, your post is a little jumbled up), then you are wrong.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I never got why people had the Napoleon complex about 1AA either. I don't see anybody reporting on it as "FCS" the report it as "FCS (formerly known as 1AA)" I'm glad that we could lengthen the name out to include both the new name and the old name in the moniker. It's absolutely stupid and after a couple of years of trying to get it to catch on a small percentage of people use it. We are now in the vein of "the artist formerly known as Prince" I guess I just don't understand the little man's syndrome that drives this stuff.

danefan
August 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM

1. The smaller schools.
3. Non-BCS schools.

Hey Pete, maybe you could give your poll a little credibility this year and actually attempt to review all I-AA/FCS teams and conferences before deciding which are the top in the division. Thanks.xthumbsupx xpeacex

Sorry off-topic.

danefan
August 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
The thing that drives it is more than football:

All other sports are Division I sports. The problem that IAA and IA caused was that people were starting to refer to baseball, soccer, etc.... as IAA sports because their football teams were IAA.

It doesn't make one bit of difference to football whether its FCS or IAA. Still the second level with lower funding and less scholarships.

Black and Gold Express
August 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Certain newspaper chains have not made the change but all the major sports outlets have.

And if possible, they mock the change as much as possible.

But then again, those thinking this change was a good thing have other problems to deal with first, like a major inferiority complex.

I expect it to be mocked on ESPN this weekend by McDunough and Speilman during I-AA's spotlight TV game in Baton Rouge, just like they did in both the semifinal and title games they did last year. And I hope they do it often.

It was a stupid move that wasted time and money that could have been put to better use. Even by the low standards we hold for the NCAA on this front.

ysubigred
August 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I live in the heart of SEC and Big Least country and they all say the "minor league" for 1-AA of FCS xmadx

Marcus Garvey
August 27th, 2008, 01:36 PM
The name change was dumb. It always seemed to me that it was pushed through to appease some I-AA college presidents and athletic directors who were suffering some sort of inferiority complex. But, I-AA and I-A are recognizable to the casual football fan as 2 distinct divisions of collegiate football. "FCS" and "FBS" are too easily confused by the same fans.

The notion that that name change somehow would make I-AA more marketable is downright laughable. Marketable to whom? I-AA is "small college football." In other words, it has a local/regional fan base outside of alumni. I-AA is not marketable on the national level as long as I-A football exists. People want to watch the top level of athetlic talent on TV. Given the choice between watching Montana-Furman or Oregon-Wisconsin, it's a no brainer which game will generate ratings.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
People want to watch the top level of athletic talent on TV. Given the choice between watching Montana-Furman or Oregon-Wisconsin, it's a no brainer which game will generate ratings.

And yet.... ESPN's featured game this week features an FCS team...

By your logic, people will instead turn to other games since the App State/LSU game features an "inferior" opponent...

xrolleyesx

Games that generate ratings are games where networks are out there actively working to make ratings. Labels do nothing to generate ratings.

henfan
August 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM
The name change was no less dumb than the former designations, IMO, and far less ridiculous than the so-called professionals in the media who can't seem to get any of the titles right or the coaches who continue to refer to "I-A" college basketball programs, etc. I never understood the root of the confusion. FCS vs. FBS, I-A vs. I-AA aren't difficult concepts to grasp, especially if you're getting paid to know the difference.

Had there not been dissent from some of the FBS conferences, all Division I football conferences would now be called "Division I". That would have made it so much easier for the intellectually lazy. But, hey, whatever. You can't expect people who never understood the difference between I-A and I-AA to pick up on FBS and FCS quickly.xrotatehx

jimbo65
August 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
FCS or 1AA. My preference is 1AA. We should consider the approach of the NY times on reporting about the singer Prince when he dropped his name and did not pick a new one. Always, politically correct in their own little mind, the Times used "The entertainer previously named Prince". We could be the division previously known as 1 AA.

IndianaAppMan
August 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM

By your logic, people will instead turn to other games since the App State/LSU game features an "inferior" opponent...

xrolleyesx

Games that generate ratings are games where networks are out there actively working to make ratings. Labels do nothing to generate ratings.

I agree that ESPN did see value & potentially good ratings in App State-LSU this year. It did require VERY unique, unusual circumstances, in order for it to become a possibility:
1. The 1-AA team had to defeat a team that was (a) one of the ten best programs of all time (perhaps THE best) AND (b) ranked in the top 10 at that instance.
2. The 1-AA team had to come off not just a national title, but its third straight.
3. The 1-AA team had to come have an elite, eye-catching player.
4. The 1-A team had to come off a national championship of its own, creating a "champions vs. champions" to appeal to viewers.

If you take out any part of those criteria, ESPN wouldn't take the risk of having a 1-AA team on opening day. The ratings would be relatively mild, and this game would be on Raycom Sports, at best.

Besides, it's not really the "game of the week." Gameday is at Centennial Olylmpic Park in Atlanta for Clemson-Alabama, which is broadcast on ESPN's sister network, ABC, which reaches even more households.

(Of course, I'm quite grateful that all of this worked out in App's favor.)

Retro
August 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The problem with FCS and FBS is people get them confused with BCS, maybe even CBS and ESPN and CSN or FSN? xoopsx

For the national media, all they care about is the BCS. That is it!. That's all they talk about and dismiss anything to do with the rest of the FBS or FCS. The NCAA should have left well enough alone until they came up with a label everyone liked and wasn't confusing to the casual fan.

Personally, they should have made it short and sweet... PD (playoff division) sounds better.. BD (bowl division) also is better.. Instead of using the abbreviation and confusing people, the media outlets could easily say PLAYOFF DIVISION and people would eventually identify with it better.

If not that then PS (Playoff Series) and BS (Bowl Series)... You would then eliminate the need for the term Division in any capacity and the Bowl Series would mesh well for the BCS, while the Playoff series would be easier identified with out level.

You don't need the word Subdivision and you don't need the word championship because it just confuses more with the FBS/BCS name.. You don't need the word Football, because we've already figured that part out.

Marcus Garvey
August 27th, 2008, 02:53 PM

xrolleyesx

For starters, that's not ESPN's "Featured" game. That would be the Mizzou-Illinois game. But, the game is on TV because LSU is defending National Champs and App St.'s name has cachet due to last year's upset of Michigan. I suspect the casual college football fan is unware that the Mountaineers are the defending I-AA champs.

If you noticed, I was comparing intra-divisional matchups. Of the 2 I-AA intra-divisional games that are on TV, one is tape delayed and the other is on Sunday, seemingly a time slot filler. Can't wait to see the overnights on those games. Over/under will be around a 0.1.

You are right about your Labels comment. The FBS/FCS label doesn't generate ratings, its the perception (largely correct) that the talent in I-A is superior to that in I-AA that generates ratings. That was the gist of my argument. The name change was supposed to help I-AA market themselves. But how exactly would a confusing name change help accomplish that.

IndianaAppMan
August 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not crazy about the change. It creates too much confusion.

When reporters say "teams formerly known as 1-AA," that context could mean Marshall, Boise State, UConn, etc., or it could mean teams currently in the FCS.

For that matter, I'm not too crazy about the term "small college football." ASU & Georgia Southern are pretty decent-sized universities. Sure they're not the mammoths that Ohio State & Texas are, but they're larger than most private schools in FBS. "Small college" encompasses only part of the FCS, namely the schools with about 5,000 students or less.

Here's an idea: D-1 Degree-Earning-Subdivision. Whereas FBS programs have hordes of players who leave early for the NFL, FCS teams graduate a far higher percentage who actually will be able to function in society without depending on athletics.

CamelCityAppFan
August 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Personally, they should have made it short and sweet... PD (playoff division) sounds better.. BD (bowl division) also is better.. Instead of using the abbreviation and confusing people, the media outlets could easily say PLAYOFF DIVISION and people would eventually identify with it better.

Yep, that's a good idea, but there's no way-- and I mean no way-- that the BCS folks are going to let the NCAA draw even more attention to the fact that the top division of the NCAA's top-grossing, most widely attending sport is also the only NCAA division & sport does not have some sort of playoff or tournament to determine its national champion. xeyebrowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
If nothing else, the name change has caused people to finally start using the 'I-AA' and 'I-A' nomenclature and stop referring us to "DII". That's a step in the right direction.

McTailGator
August 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM

No.

Just write the morons in the press and tell them simply:

ATHERE ARE NO MORE A's...

IT IS ALL DIVISION I.

NO NEED TO DISTINGUSH THE TWO.

DSUrocks07
August 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM

1. The smaller schools.
3. Non-BCS schools.

aka

http://paulawhyman.sb2.authorsguild.net/files/paulawhyman.sb2.authorsguild.net/images/Prince_symbol.jpg

Syntax Error
August 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
... I was comparing intra-divisional matchups... The name change was supposed to help I-AA market themselves...LSU vs. ASU is an intradivisional game, they are both D-I. It is not an intrasubdivisional game however. :p

The name change was not done to market football, it was mainly so that all other sports could clearly be known as D-I. xnodx

Marcus Garvey
August 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
LSU vs. ASU is an intradivisional game, they are both D-I. It is not an intrasubdivisional game however. :p

The name change was not done to market football, it was mainly so that all other sports could clearly be known as D-I. xnodx

Was there actually a problem with people refering to I-AA basketball?

JohnStOnge
August 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
This afternoon "The Fastest Hour" program on WSKR radio Baton Rouge had a live interview with an App State defensive back. He used the term "I-AA" exclusively and so did the talk show hosts.

danefan
August 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Was there actually a problem with people refering to I-AA basketball?

Not basketball because of the popularity of the NCAA BBall tourney and the knowledge of mid major basketball teams.

But for other sports it was a problem. I saw on countless occassions where people (newspapers, etc..) would refer to the Patriot League soccer as IAA.

BDKJMU
August 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I'll always use I-A/I-AA unless/until the NCAA comes up with something better. Thats what 90+% of the press and college football fans as a whole still use. FCS/FBS certainly isn't something better.

The dumbest I've seen yet is articles where they actually spell out the entire darn thing:

"Division I Football Championship Subdivision"= 40 letters vs "Division I-AA"=11 letters or "Division I FCS"= 12 letters
"Division I Football Bowl Subdivision"= 32 letters vs "Division I-A"= 10 letters or "Division I FBS"= 12 letters

Or remove the Division part and its
"Football Championship Subdivision"= 31 letters vs "I-AA"= 3 letters
"Football Bowl Subdivision"= 23 letters vs "I-A" = 2 letters

My letter count could be off by one or 2, but you get the point.
I've e-mailed a couple of writers about that. Use acronyms (either I-A/I-AA or FBS/FCS) as they always have in the past. For god's sake, don't write out the whole thing. Its painful to read.

BDKJMU
August 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Not basketball because of the popularity of the NCAA BBall tourney and the knowledge of mid major basketball teams.

But for other sports it was a problem. I saw on countless occassions where people (newspapers, etc..) would refer to the Patriot League soccer as IAA.

Well then those people are idiots. You can't legislate away idiocy. And FCS/FBS is a poor attempt to do that.

BeauFoster
August 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm the same way. I would just refer to it as old school as opposed to renegade. Heck, its not just the national press. Many, maybe most of the coaches still use I-AA.

Old guard, maybe??? xlolx xlolx xlolx

pokefan02
August 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I've heard it mentioned that some coaches in other sports(BB, baseball,etc..) would tell recruits that school A is in 1-AA when competing for some players being courted by both schools

3rd Coast Tiger
August 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Now wait one damn minute...

Now I can vividly recall a particular AGS regular (whom I'll remain anonymous at this time) has CREATED threads scolding SWAC alums over on TSPN message board that we are hurting the recruiting process of our beloved alma maters by not being "educated" on the facts of the identification change.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Now wait one damn minute...

Now I can vividly recall a particular AGS regular (whom I'll remain anonymous at this time) has CREATED threads scolding SWAC alums over on TSPN message board that we are hurting the recruiting process of our beloved alma maters by not being "educated" on the facts of the identification change.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Takes time to make the changes...

As one very well-positioned in the FCS Media said, "Certain newspaper chains have not made the change but all the major sports outlets have."

The SWAC is behind the eight-ball when it comes to realizing what exactly their programs play -- both the SWAC offices and the SWAC fans.

It amazes me how many of the SWAC fans refer to FBS schools as Division I, when they are Div I programs.

The LSU-AppSt game has really been great. Lots of the BR papers are properly stating FCS (formerly I-AA). I think a lot of it has to do with the SID at LSU, who is the son of perhaps the most recognized FCS SID currently in the business, and the fact he is using the right name everywhere in his releases and got his coach to do the same.

IndianaAppMan
August 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
When talking to friends who are college football fans, though not necessarily die-hards, I don't waste my time explaining FCS/FBS or 1-A/1-AA nomenclature. It's just too trivial when making conversation to get worked up over.

I just say "since we're allowed fewer scholarships and have some other restrictions, our group (App) does playoffs instead of the bowls. It's fun. That's the way it should be done for the bigger conferences." I've never had anyone call us D-II, but if they did, I would definitely correct them in that case.

BDKJMU
August 27th, 2008, 11:26 PM
As one very well-positioned in the FCS Media said, "Certain newspaper chains have not made the change but all the major sports outlets have."

Not true. All the major sports outlets haven't made the change and many if not most are still using I-A/I-AA. For example I have right in front of me the USA Today college football preview with its "Division I-AA Preview" and its "Division I-A,I-AA schedules".

blackfordpu
August 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
The radio personalities in Houston never caught on. They say things like "I-A Michigan playing I-AA App St. Why can't UM play a division I team?"

Hello, App St. is division one jackass.

Syntax Error
August 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Not true. All the major sports outlets haven't made the change and many if not most are still using I-A/I-AA. For example I have right in front of me the USA Today college football preview with its "Division I-AA Preview" and its "Division I-A,I-AA schedules".When did USA Today become a major sports outlet? It is one of those few newspaper chains (look who owns them and connect the dots) that have a stick up their rear. Look at Sports Illustrated, ESPN, etc. etc. etc. that usually write FCS. I definitely wasn't for the change but when it happened, it happened. No use crying over spilled milk. I-AA vs. FCS is a waste of time argument IMO. Even counting the characters... I-AA=4, FCS=3. xcoffeex

ViennaSpider
August 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Never understood the reason for the change. Just confuses things.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Not true. All the major sports outlets haven't made the change and many if not most are still using I-A/I-AA. For example I have right in front of me the USA Today college football preview with its "Division I-AA Preview" and its "Division I-A,I-AA schedules".

Was never one to consider USA Today a "major" outlet of any kind. xlolx

henfan
August 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
The nomenclature change was indeed the result of the misperceptions of administrators, members of the media, coaches at all levels, fans, etc. that there was such an animal as NCAA Div. I-AA basketball. Hoops wasn't necessarily the only sport referred to in this way, but it absolutely was a perceived problem. (Don't believe me, then do a search on the term 'I-AA basketball' and see what you come up with.)

Understand that the former I-AA leaders originally advocated for an elimination of the Division FB subdivision nomenclature altogether. When the PTB at the former I-A schools and conferences pushed back with their might and influence, I-AA conferences came back with 'D-I Championship' vs. 'D-I Bowl' titles. The protectionists in the BCS didn't like that idea either, so we were left with the 'subdivision' compromise. FBS leaders have no one to blame but themselves for this.

No, the current FB titles aren't ideal, but they are better and more accurate than I-A/I-AA. If the FBS schools and conferences ever come to their senses, we can get rid of the pointless distinctions once and for all. Division I is Division I. It's a term that should define the philosophy of an entire athletic department, not be narrowly used for all sports except one (football.)

If people want to continue calling our level of play I-AA, that's fine. In due time, those phrases will be as commonly used as 'sasparilla', 'galvanism' and 'Constantinople'. Have at it.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Last time I checked, USA Today sits at every newspaper stand in every airport in these United States and they aren't considered major? xconfusedx

3rd Coast Tiger
August 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Further proof:

This one is from ESPN's website...

"With former starter Ryan Perrilloux playing at Division I-AA Jacksonville (Ala.) "

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/onthemark0827

Here's another from CNNSI's website...

"Paterno says he hopes to get Devlin some playing time, too, in the season opener versus Division I-AA Coastal Carolina."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/08/26/pennst.quarterback.ap/index.html

Can't get anymore "major" than that I don't believe right?

BeauFoster
August 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Pfffftttttt! We all know that ESPN and CNN/SI aren't major in the sports world! xlolx

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Look at Sports Illustrated, ESPN, etc. etc. etc. that usually write FCS.
xnodx

darell1976
August 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I say bring back I-A and I-AA!!!!

henfan
August 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM
In fairness, it's unreasonable to expect the NCAA's nomenclature change to be automatically accepted by groups of people who are slow to react to change to begin with or those who benefit by keeping D-I FB class distinctions alive.

Doubtful Division I leaders anticipated that 30 years of I-A/I-AA usage would be undone with the flip of the proverbial switch. It's going to take time. There are probably still a few stragglers out there using the "Small College" terminology of the '50's & '60's, silly as it now sounds.

BDKJMU
August 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Not a fan of USA Today by any means, but name a paper in the country with a bigger circulation. If USA Today isn't a "major" outlet, then no paper is.

BDKJMU
August 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
The nomenclature change was indeed the result of the misperceptions of administrators, members of the media, coaches at all levels, fans, etc. that there was such an animal as NCAA Div. I-AA basketball. Hoops wasn't necessarily the only sport referred to in this way, but it absolutely was a perceived problem. (Don't believe me, then do a search on the term 'I-AA basketball' and see what you come up with.)

Again, you can't legislate away ignorance on the part of casual and non fans who referred to non football sports at I-AA schools as I-AA. Any halfway serious college sports fans wouldn't call their basketball or other non football sports I-AA.

If people want to continue calling our level of play I-AA, that's fine. In due time, those phrases will be as commonly used as 'sasparilla', 'galvanism' and 'Constantinople'. Have at it.

JMU and UD football will go I-A before people stop commonly using I-AA. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
those who benefit by keeping D-I FB class distinctions alive
I think you are saying those of us that think the change has merely highlighted the difference in a negative way?

henfan
August 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I think you are saying those of us that think the change has merely highlighted the difference in a negative way?

No, with that I was referring to those who have vested financial/philosophical interests in seeing the former nomenclature preserved.

There are others who just don't cotton to change all that quickly. I'm reminded of the turtle commercial featuring Bill and Karolyn Slowsky. xlolx