PDA

View Full Version : Well It's Official

blukeys
October 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Delaware wide receiver Joe Bleymaier is lost for the season with a shattered spleen suffered during the JMU game. Bleymaier was a UD crowd favorite due to his toughness and work ethic. His teammates nicknamed him Joe Dirt for his propensity to get down in the dirt and make the grunt plays. Joe's father is the AD for Boise State and Joe is one of those legendary UD transfers. ;) ;) ;)

Joe was 5'9" on his best day and his 40 time will never get him on the track team but he was gutsy player who knew his position and how to play it. He was also the holder for the placekicker.

Delaware has now lost another wide receiver who started last year and was expected to contribute this year. That means all 3 of the leading Delaware receivers who were all returning as of Jan. 1 2005 are lost for the season.
A list of the UD players who are lost for the season is as follows.

WR - David Boler (knee) pre-season '04 starter
DE - Lou Samba (shoulder) pre-season '04 starter
DE - Jim Casertano (knee) pre-season
DB - John Russ (shoulder) pre-season
RB - Chris Haslon (shoulder) pre-season
OL - Scott Conley (team infraction) pre-season '04 starter
DB - Roger Brown (sports hernia) following Holy Cross game '04 starter
DB - Zach Thomas (shoulder) vs. West Chester
OL - Mark Ciavirella (knee) vs Towson '04 starter
OL - Corey Nicholson (ankle) before JMU game
WR - Joe Bleymaier (ribs/spleen) vs JMU '04 starter
WR- Justin Long (team infraction) pre-season '04 starter

Another 10 to 15 Hens have lost time due to injuries on a game to game basis.

Most won't have sympathy for UD and I understand that but one should have some sympathy for a gutsy tough kid trying to play football at the highest I-AA level whose senior season has now been cut short. Joe will be at Christiana Hospital in Delaware for the next week. Joe's email appropriately enough is [email protected]. The Hen Nation would appreciate some love for a young man who epitomizes all that is great about I-AA football.

TigerFan17
October 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Wow! A shattered spleen!? Yikes. Hope he is doing better, much love to him and your team from your fellow A-10 member right down the road. My thoughts are with him. A true heart player.

blukeys
October 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Ralph I blew it. I thought I was posting on the Lounge and not Discussion. Please move the post to where you think it is appropriate. I did not intend to post to Discussion.

Obviously players get hurt all the time and one guy probably does not merit a specific post. But Joe Dirt is one of those guys who gets the maximum out of his ability and he has gotten more separation this year than UD's heralded freshman wideouts. As i said I thought I was going to the Lounge.

ISUMatt
October 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Also Illinois STate RB Brian Thompson suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season for the Redbirds!!!

CCU2003
October 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Wow, every team losses guys throughout a season but it looks like you guys have a large number of joint issues? Not pointing fingers or anything but do you guys have a new strength and conditioning staff or something? Or a new head trainer?

Sounds like Joe was the epitome of a I-AA college football player, I wish him the best.

blukeys
October 24th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Wow, every team losses guys throughout a season but it looks like you guys have a large number of joint issues? Not pointing fingers or anything but do you guys have a new strength and conditioning staff or something? Or a new head trainer?

Sounds like Joe was the epitome of a I-AA college football player, I wish him the best.

Thanx CCU. Joe was indeed the eptiome of a I-AA college football player (thus the reason I posted as, many kids get hurt every year and yes we have a new strength and conditioning coach , (the old guy went to Tulane how's that for irony)

Personally, I think it is just one of those things. Officially, UD at the half season mark has had more players miss time due to injuries than '03 and '04 seasons combined. This does not count Long and Conley who were not injured but out due to disciplinary reasons . We are currently on our 3rd string punter. (I have never heard of losing a punter for the season) and for the Towson game we were down to our 4th team tight end!

So it goes. I feel the worst for a senior who has given his all and will now not be able to play for the rest of the season despite his obvious love for the game. Thus the reason for my post. I have the utmost respect for the AGS community and their ability to realize that there are some players who are not the most talented but they truly love the game. From my view of watching Joe Dirt that is what he was. ;)

Reed Rothchild
October 24th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Also Illinois STate RB Brian Thompson suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season for the Redbirds!!!

Ouch!!! Tough loss for the 'Birds!

CatFan22
October 25th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Anything with the word "shattered" coupled with the name of an internal organ is bound to be bad.

Umass74
October 25th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Condolences from the UMass community to Bleymaier. No one likes to see a player get hurt. I know how much work the players put in. You want to see them get to play.

Injuries seem to go in cycles. Some years it’s are good and some years you loose a player or so every game it seems. :(

ChickenMan
October 25th, 2005, 07:49 AM
UD would have had a tough time contending for the playoffs even if things had gone well this year... but with all the players lost... just a winning season is a reasonable goal. But that's the way it goes sometimes... some years good fortune is on your side and some years it isn't... and lady luck has been totally missing around Henville this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear about the injuries. UD's big problem is that most of those injuries/suspensions all come at WR, meaning true freshmen are starting at WR now. When I scouted Delaware for the Lehigh game, I feared "Joe Dirt" making a big play, and he came awful close a few times.

On the subject of teams that have been decimated by injury, you have to include Bucknell on your list. In the first two games of the year, they lost their top two QBs, and in the middle of another they lost thier 3rd. It got so bad that they have had to convert 5'8 DB Dante Ross to QB in their triple-option offense, and he's still the starter today. On top of this, oft-injured RB Blamah Sarnor also was lost for the season with a leg injury, the P is hurt, the've had to shift from the DL to the OL to make up for injuries...

HenHouse1
October 25th, 2005, 09:47 AM
3rd String punter? When did we lose our second string? I know we lost Mike Weber and now we have Stu, but who was the second punter we lost?

RadMann
October 25th, 2005, 10:21 PM
The attached article discusses the injury. Apparently the team physician was on the ball diagnosing the injury which seems to have somewhat strange symptoms (shoulder pain). He remains in the hospital ICU unit in critical but stable condition.

Bleymaier out for season
By KEVIN TRESOLINI
The News Journal
10/25/2005

NEWARK -- Senior wide receiver Joe Bleymaier joined the University of Delaware's crowded list of injured football players who will miss the rest of the season.

Bleymaier injured his spleen in the Blue Hens' 34-28 win over James Madison on Saturday at Delaware Stadium, where Bleymaier's streak of catching a pass in 17 straight games ended.

He won't catch another. Bleymaier also had played in 48 consecutive games, the longest streak among current Blue Hens.

"It's a shame for the kid because he's had a great career here, and I know he doesn't want to leave it this way," Delaware coach K.C. Keeler said.

Bleymaier was taken from the game in an ambulance. He had suffered what medical personal thought may be a mild concussion early in the game and came out. But he felt better, went back in and, after a collision, complained of shoulder pain.

"I think our doctor [Vince Disabella] did a great job diagnosing that [a spleen injury] was a possibility because on the field Joe was saying he had some shoulder problems he couldn't figure out," Keeler said....."

The News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051025/SPORTS07/510250325/1002)

http://vh10018.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20051025&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=510250325&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&title=1

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2005, 06:17 AM
3rd String punter? When did we lose our second string? I know we lost Mike Weber and now we have Stu, but who was the second punter we lost?

RICCIO!.......PUNTED @ TOWSON.......WASN'T IMPRESSIVE....AN'.....PROBABLY KEELER DIDN'T WANNA RISK UH INJURY TO HIM AS UH PUNTER!.......HEARD HE WAS UH PRETTY GOOD ONE IN HIGHSCHOOL.......BUT HASN'T WORKED ON IT MUCH IN COLLEGE!....AWK!

ChickenMan
October 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I think the backup... John Nauss was lost in the Towson game.