PDA

View Full Version : Will the BOBCATS be the Dark Horse of SLC?!?!

TXST_CAT
August 26th, 2008, 09:52 PM
With what could be one of the Best Running Back Corps, a veteran Deep threat WR, Playmakers at Slot WR, A tight end that can make plays and a 6'6 " QB that can get the ball to anyone of them with his cannon arm with velocity the only thing the TXST Bobcats need is some defense. Which has been the focus for the team all summer. With Veteran DC Coach Bliel at the helm we just might have what the Doctor ordered. The big question is do we have the personnel to match the coach. Time will tell. Thoughts? xeyebrowx xreadx

Austin American Statesmen Article on Bobcat Defensive Coach Bliel

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/08/26/0826texstate.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

2008 Austin American Statesmen Scouting Report
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/08/26/0826texstatescout.html

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
The dark horse of the SLC?

This is the SLC where crazy things are bound to happen. It would not shock me to see the Bobcats near the top of the SLC by any stretch. The thing working against the "driven" Bobcats is that they have four SLC road games.

The Bobcats have had problems on the road and two of those road games (McN and SHSU) are picked amongst the top three teams in the league.

Throw in the seemingly annual loss to Nicholls and that's three games where the Bobcats at this point are clearly the underdogs. I could throw in Nathan Brown and UCA as a fourth one if I wanted.

I think the Bobcats will be thankful to go 4-3 in SLC play which may be good for a tie for 3rd place. That would not surprise me. 5-2 would surprise me...

TXST_CAT
August 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The dark horse of the SLC?

This is the SLC where crazy things are bound to happen. It would not shock me to see the Bobcats near the top of the SLC by any stretch. The thing working against the "driven" Bobcats is that they have four SLC road games.

The Bobcats have had problems on the road and two of those road games (McN and SHSU) are picked amongst the top three teams in the league.

Throw in the seemingly annual loss to Nicholls and that's three games where the Bobcats at this point are clearly the underdogs. I could throw in Nathan Brown and UCA as a fourth one if I wanted.

I think the Bobcats will be thankful to go 4-3 in SLC play which may be good for a tie for 3rd place. That would not surprise me. 5-2 would surprise me...

Your basing this off last years performance of course. Last year we had no defense. This year will be different.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I am basing this off the last few years.

The Bobcats have never struck me as a team that could win on the road.

In your best season...2005, the Bobcats went 2-2 on the road compared to 9-1 at home. That was proceeded by a 1-4 season in 2004. 2006, it was 2-3 and 2007 and 1-4. That's 6-13 over the last four years, which I'd consider the "rebirth" of your program.

That's one win for every two losses. Six road games this year. That's 2-4 on the road. I think you'll go 3-3, though a hiccup at Southeastern or No Colorado would not surprise me in the least bit.

Retro
August 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM
To me and others, Texas State is the great unknown of the conference. Could be feast or famine!

TXST_CAT
August 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
For the record we entered SLC play running the Desert Swarm/43 Flex defense against McNeese and UCA. We realized we did not have the personnel (Speed) for it, as was seen against UCA, and converted to a basic base 4-3. After which we went 3-2 our last 5 games of SLC play and barely lost to your KATS in what I admit was an exciting game. I truely feel our Team got comfortable and started to play sloppy thinking the game was in the bag.xoopsx But the victory goes to your Kats for not quiting. xsmhx

I don't see our defense playing poorly this year and when I say dark horse I'm referring to running the conference. I see UCA and Nicholls (Triple option) being the two games that bother me the most. Our Srs have beaten McNeese at McNeese and SAM at Huntsville in the past as well, but have struggled against the option and were thrashed by UCA. Emotions can be a bitch.

TXST_CAT
August 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I am basing this off the last few years.

The Bobcats have never struck me as a team that could win on the road.

In your best season...2005, the Bobcats went 2-2 on the road compared to 9-1 at home. That was proceeded by a 1-4 season in 2004. 2006, it was 2-3 and 2007 and 1-4. That's 6-13 over the last four years, which I'd consider the "rebirth" of your program.

That's one win for every two losses. Six road games this year. That's 2-4 on the road. I think you'll go 3-3, though a hiccup at Southeastern or No Colorado would not surprise me in the least bit.

Last year was payback for the last Four seasons for both SAM and McNeese.

McNeese75
August 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
For the record we entered SLC play running the Desert Swarm/43 Flex defense against McNeese and UCA. We realized we did not have the personnel (Speed) for it, as was seen against UCA, and converted to a basic base 4-3. After which we went 3-2 our last 5 games of SLC play and barely lost to your KATS in what I admit was an exciting game. I truely feel our Team got comfortable and started to play sloppy thinking the game was in the bag.xoopsx But the victory goes to your Kats for not quiting. xsmhx

I don't see our defense playing poorly this year and when I say dark horse I'm referring to running the conference. I see UCA and Nicholls (Triple option) being the two games that bother me the most. Our Srs have beaten McNeese at McNeese and SAM at Huntsville in the past as well, but have struggled against the option and were thrashed by UCA. Emotions can be a bitch.

Don't count on picking up a W over here xnonox

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Last year was payback for the last Four seasons for both SAM and McNeese.

When are the Bobcats going to get payback for the last seven years (1-6) against Nicholls State? Those Colonels are tough, home or away against the Bobcats...

Not too thrilled about SHSU's trip there, especially since I can't make it. :(

TXST_CAT
August 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Don't count on picking up a W over here xnonox

It would be nice since that's what sparked the last winning season we had. xthumbsupx

For us if you want to win the SLC it starts by beating McNeese and finishing off with the KATS. xpeacex

TXST_CAT
August 26th, 2008, 11:13 PM
When are the Bobcats going to get payback for the last seven years (1-6) against Nicholls State? Those Colonels are tough, home or away against the Bobcats...

Not too thrilled about SHSU's trip there, especially since I can't make it. :(

This year I hope. Bliel is a seasoned DC there is little if anything he hasn't seen. I think he'll put a nice game plan together to stop the option. I like that we are faster on the D line. Nothing disrupts the pitch like speed on the edges and punishing the QB. xnodx

McNeese75
August 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM
It would be nice since that's what sparked the last winning season we had. xthumbsupx

For us if you want to win the SLC it starts by beating McNeese and finishing off with the KATS. xpeacex

Cowboys carry the target on their back into every confernece game this year. That's life xnodx

TXST_CAT
August 26th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Cowboys carry the target on their back into every confernece game this year. That's life xnodx

Ain't that the truth. But if TXST manages to pull off a winning season every team in the FCS will try to knock us down since the FBS talk will only get louder.

FormerPokeCenter
August 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Payback for the last four seasons? Your three wins came against arguably the worst McNeese team in the last 30 years, a team recovering from two hurricanes and a team one game removed from the termination of a head coach who was a 30-year fixture at the University....

Most knowledgeable people would look at the entire series, the series of unfortunate events that led to the three losses and conclude that those wins by the Fighting Armadillos were strangely out of the ordinary....

C'mon, are you sure you don't wanna take a knee and think about that for a while? You're what, 3-18 against us?

FormerPokeCenter
August 27th, 2008, 12:06 AM
This year I hope. Bliel is a seasoned DC there is little if anything he hasn't seen. I think he'll put a nice game plan together to stop the option. I like that we are faster on the D line. Nothing disrupts the pitch like speed on the edges and punishing the QB. xnodx

The only thing that disrupts the triple option is assignment football....speed helps, but I don't care how fast you are, if you don't play assignment football against the triple option, you're toast....

Even slow teams can properly defend the triple option if their kids are fundamentally coached to play assignment football....

TXST_CAT
August 27th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Payback for the last four seasons? Your three wins came against arguably the worst McNeese team in the last 30 years, a team recovering from two hurricanes and a team one game removed from the termination of a head coach who was a 30-year fixture at the University....

Most knowledgeable people would look at the entire series, the series of unfortunate events that led to the three losses and conclude that those wins by the Fighting Armadillos were strangely out of the ordinary....

C'mon, are you sure you don't wanna take a knee and think about that for a while? You're what, 3-18 against us?

If that's what makes you sleep better at night sure, whatever. But you guys no doubt played our worse defense last season. Don't expect the same to happen this year.xsmiley_wix

TXST_CAT
August 27th, 2008, 12:50 AM
The only thing that disrupts the triple option is assignment football....speed helps, but I don't care how fast you are, if you don't play assignment football against the triple option, you're toast....

Even slow teams can properly defend the triple option if their kids are fundamentally coached to play assignment football....

Yes assignment defense and speed on the DL make it hard for an Option QB to make his reads. That's one of the reasons the option will never be seen in the Pros. That plus the QB gets pounded to a pulp.

txstatebobcat
August 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM
With what could be one of the Best Running Back Corps, a veteran Deep threat WR, Playmakers at Slot WR, A tight end that can make plays and a 6'6 " QB that can get the ball to anyone of them with his cannon arm with velocity the only thing the TXST Bobcats need is some defense. Which has been the focus for the team all summer. With Veteran DC Coach Bliel at the helm we just might have what the Doctor ordered. The big question is do we have the personnel to match the coach. Time will tell. Thoughts? xeyebrowx xreadx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the bobcats picked next to last in 2005?

We should have one of the best offenses in the nation this year, as long as the defense hovers around the average mark we will compete for first place in the SLC.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM
We should have one of the best offenses in the nation this year, as long as the defense hovers around the average mark we will compete for first place in the SLC.

Best offenses in the nation? You guys will be no better than third, if not fourth...in the SLC

Too many offenses that are much more explosive than the Bobcats and their inconsistent QB...see Fourroux and Whitehead (McN), Brown and his merry men (UCA) and Bomar and Madkins (SHSU)...

MSU_77
August 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Concerning the title of this thread; uh...no.

SHSU might be. UCA might be. Hell, Nicholls might be. But not TxST, IMHO.

BobcatJH
August 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Texas Terror is correct. We suck on the road historically. I think we have the potential to a be darkhorse in the SLC this year, but I am not holding my breath.

Coach Wright was an embarrassment last year. The biggest mistake we made was not interviewing ANY outside coaching candidates. What a joke!!

This program has had just 1 great season in roughly 20 years!

Our fans have good intentions, but the word homer certainly applies.

patssle
August 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I can see TXST finishing 3rd, behind UCA and McNeese. SHSU has had problems vs. them under Whitten. Their offense is potent, but their defense sucks. We'll see what happens, almost anybody can win the SLC this year (except SFA).

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
SHSU might be. UCA might be. Hell, Nicholls might be. But not TxST, IMHO.

SHSU and UCA are picked second in one of the two polls. Hard to call them a 'darkhorse'. This is the SLC where I can comfortably say anyone from #1 to #4 is going to win the league on any given day pending what side of the bed I come out on...

SLU is the annual 'darkhorse'... the question is, will they get over the hump?

TXST_CAT
August 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Texas Terror is correct. We suck on the road historically. I think we have the potential to a be darkhorse in the SLC this year, but I am not holding my breath.

Coach Wright was an embarrassment last year. The biggest mistake we made was not interviewing ANY outside coaching candidates. What a joke!!

This program has had just 1 great season in roughly 20 years!

Our fans have good intentions, but the word homer certainly applies.

I haven't heard any excuses from Coach Wright. He knows what the problem was last year and took the proper action to fix it. With that said he is only in his second season so I'll hold judgement until later in the season. For now I am content with the hire. I see us fighting for first although I see several teams that have already been mentioned doing the same up to the final weeks of the season. If defense handles their side of the job I see us having a very strong run in conference.

BobcatJH
August 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
You may be right about us making a run, but are you really content with us hiring a guy with zero head coaching experience at this level without conducting an outside search?

We have the biggest budget in the SLC, and should have at least conducted a few interviews. This is not a good example of how you take a program to the next level.

txstatebobcat
August 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Best offenses in the nation? You guys will be no better than third, if not fourth...in the SLC

Too many offenses that are much more explosive than the Bobcats and their inconsistent QB...see Fourroux and Whitehead (McN), Brown and his merry men (UCA) and Bomar and Madkins (SHSU)...

Sportnework's Top six ranking on our rushing attack, and this is on running backs that couldn't show everything on account of our defense last year. 18th nationally ranked offense last year with 421 yards/game and we have most everyone back. Also look for Bradley George to have a breakout season this year.

Yes we will easily have one of the best offenses (nationally) this year. Not to say that the SLC doesn't won't have any good offenses this upcoming season, but the bobcats will be right up there.

MaximumBobcat
August 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Bomar and Madkins??? SHSU offense much more explosive than the Bobcats? UCA I agree with, MSU I can understand, but c'mon man...

First of all, Madkins has never played a down of DI football in his life..he may very well be a great receiver, but he is getting too much recognition before the season even starts IMO. Bomar's coming off an injury, and IMO is less of a threat to run now, and your Offensive line has sustained some injuries in the offseason. Not to mention, your starting running back got kicked off the team for grades this season, and your backup is injured right now and not even going to be playing in the first game. The third string running back you're going to be starting with this season had to transfer to SHSU because he couldn't even break into the top 3 RBs at Texas State for crying out loud. Looking at last year and looking at the offseason...I'll still say yes, SHSU is probably the overall better program right now, but your offense much more explosive than what we got going on?

I don't....think so.

P.S. Inconsistent QB? Here are the stats for George v Bomar....While BG wasn't spectacular last year, I wouldn't say he was inconsistent at all.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
George, Bradley 11 120.7 190-334-8 56.9 2099 16 42 190.8

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Rhett Bomar 9 130.09 172-291-6 59.1 2209 10 64 245.4

MSU_77
August 27th, 2008, 03:06 PM
SHSU and UCA are picked second in one of the two polls. Hard to call them a 'darkhorse'. This is the SLC where I can comfortably say anyone from #1 to #4 is going to win the league on any given day pending what side of the bed I come out on...

SLU is the annual 'darkhorse'... the question is, will they get over the hump?

Well you see, in my McNeese-centric view of the world any other team that is rumored to have a chance to compete for the SLC championship is a "dark horse." xlolx

BEAR
August 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I think SFA will be the dark horse.........xwhistlex

GeauxLions94
August 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I think SFA will be the dark horse.........xwhistlex

Nah, they'll just be the horse xwhistlex

Bearkats94
August 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
or the fart from the horse.:p :p

katstrapper
August 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
To me and others, Texas State is the great unknown of the conference. Could be feast or famine!

They have been an unknown for years. Dark Horse?xlolx xnonox . I dont think there are any darkhorses in the SLC.

TXST_CAT
August 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Ain't that the truth. But if TXST manages to pull off a winning season every team in the FCS will try to knock us down since the FBS talk will only get louder.

I honestly can't say it was a bad move wth just one season. For all we know he can either take us to the cellar or take us to the ship. Only time will tell. If he wins us a conference this year he will be amongst just handful of coaches that has accomplished this. Besides if we went on national search what assurance do we have that we would have hired some one better? I like what wright did to fix our teams problem and will wait to see if he sinks or swims.

TXST_CAT
August 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Well Poke if TXST does win the conference this year it looks like you might be able to use Gustav as an excuse.xsmiley_wix Just kidding. hope you guys in LA are safe and this thing doesn't hit LA.

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Should this day "dark horse of the LSC"? Seems like a kicker is the only thing separating our favorite SLC dark horses from losing to the lowly Rams...

This needed to be a statement game. Can't say a statement of any sort was made...

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Should this day "dark horse of the LSC"? Seems like a kicker is the only thing separating our favorite SLC dark horses from losing to the lowly Rams...

This needed to be a statement game. Can't say a statement of any sort was made...

I just saw the score but we can't say much, we had a close game with them last season as well.

TXST_CAT
September 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
I just saw the score but we can't say much, we had a close game with them last season as well.

In '05 we had a close game with Delta State. Now that the first game jitters are out and it looks like we found our QB I HOPE to see an improvement next week. A win next week would help our conference.

slycat
September 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
After this weeks game, hell no. Team looks bad again. George sucked it up and the defense still can't figure out how to play football. Hopefully Toon will get the next start and our game will improve. SHSU sucked against the Rams last year and then played great until Bomar got hurt, so who knows.

I hope I'm not in for another long season but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

McTailGator
September 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM

Must be a _itch knowing how high that McMountain is every year. xsmiley_wix

THIS McNeese team has what it takes (defense) to make last years McTeam look bad.

I was worried about our D untill I saw them just absolutly distroy the TarHeels on the line of scremage. we shut down all but one UNC player who beat us all by himself, and he did that primarily on special teams.

We fixed our special teams by halftime by simply NOT kicking to number 87 again. Had we known he would be that damn hard to stop, we would have never let him touch the ball in the first half. That guy was unfreakingbelievable.

McTailGator
September 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Nah, they'll just be the horse xwhistlex

I think more like a horse on his way to the glue factory. xlolx

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
SHSU sucked against the Rams last year and then played great until Bomar got hurt, so who knows.

That's incorrect. SHSU did not play "great" until Bomar got hurt...

I hope I'm not in for another long season but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

Your fans are very humorous to say the least after this too close for comfort game...

TXST_CAT
September 1st, 2008, 10:41 PM
That's incorrect. SHSU did not play "great" until Bomar got hurt...

Your fans are very humorous to say the least after this too close for comfort game...

Don't boast to much last year they (Angelo St) were within a TD catch from beating you guys. Lets see how the team rebounds after this game.