PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Charleston Southern has a shot against the U Thursday?

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
True freshman backup QB starts for Miami, 7 players in total suspended. Four true freshman will start. New defensive coordinator, starting DE's out with injury, and one of the backups suspended.

Miami didn't exactly set the world on fire last year. Anyone think Charleston Southern has ANY chance at all? Personally, I think they'll give them a better game than people seem to think (unfortunately).

AppAlum2003
August 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
True freshman backup QB starts for Miami, 7 players in total suspended. Four true freshman will start. New defensive coordinator, starting DE's out with injury, and one of the backups suspended.

Miami didn't exactly set the world on fire last year. Anyone think Charleston Southern has ANY chance at all? Personally, I think they'll give them a better game than people seem to think (unfortunately).

Wait, are we talking about Water Polo?

Seriously, though, I suppose anything is possible. If those kids at CSU go into that game thinking "It's Miami, we can't beat them," then they have no shot.

CSUBUCDAD
August 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I think the Bucs will do much better and hang much closer than alot of folks want to admit. I have seen them several times this fall and I can attest that this team is far faster, far bigger, and much much better than the 2005 team ever thought about being. CSU has depth on the Oline and Dline that they have never had before. Can we beat them? Possibly, but the Bucs will have to play a perfect game to do it.

CSUBUCDAD
August 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Wait, are we talking about Water Polo?

Seriously, though, I suppose anything is possible. If those kids at CSU go into that game thinking "It's Miami, we can't beat them," then they have no shot.

I can assure you that the Bucs never take the field against anyone with that thought in their head. Coach Mills teaches them to play to win regardless of who you are up against.

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
CSU had no defense last year.

They also have quarterbacks who have never gotten considerable playing time in a college game, ever.

Their average score against FCS opponents last year was 32-21. That doesn't include a 66-10 loss at Hawaii.

CSU may be better this year than they were last year, but they've got as much of a shot at winning as I do at losing 50 pounds by 6pm.

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I can assure you that the Bucs never take the field against anyone with that thought in their head. Coach Mills teaches them to play to win regardless of who you are up against.

Miami missing SEVERAL starts will only help them in their mindset. I'll probably break everything I own if Miami loses to CSU though.

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 01:38 PM
CSU had no defense last year.

They also have quarterbacks who have never gotten considerable playing time in a college game, ever.

Their average score against FCS opponents last year was 32-21. That doesn't include a 66-10 loss at Hawaii.

CSU may be better this year than they were last year, but they've got as much of a shot at winning as I do at losing 50 pounds by 6pm.

Yes, but Miami was one of the worst offensive teams in all the land last year. They actually had a game where their QB completed one pass the entire game! The QB who will be starting has never played a down of college football, and is not the regular starter.

I'm thinking it's closer than expected. You can watch it on ESPN360 FWIW.

Uncle Buck
August 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Going to be a very tough matchup. I think this game will stay close and Miami will be sloppy through the first half. Second half, like most times in these games, Miami will make some plays and put it away by the 4th qtr. Depth for them even with 7 suspended is a lot.

IaaScribe
August 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
CSU will be lucky to stay within 30.

appfan2008
August 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
NO

CSU Girl
August 26th, 2008, 02:03 PM
This is going to be a great game! The Bucs need to go into the game confident, and their heads on straight. They will also need to have respect for Miami in order to beat them. Last year was a rebuilding year Super Jon. What is your deal anyway? You are always talking crap about us and no other team in the conference turn the page and move on. If you think we are so bad than why do you even bother wasting your energy. The more crap you talk about us the more I think you actually might be afraid of us. Liberty has a good team, we are looking forward to shutting your fans up this year.

Here's a question: Why are all the Liberty fans so obnoxious?

andy7171
August 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
NO

I'm with him.

IaaScribe
August 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Just stating bare facts here. CSU was outscored 91-12 in two games last season against Liberty and Coastal Carolina, and yet everyone is supposed to believe that the Bucs have all of a sudden turned a corner and will go down and compete with Miami? Come on. I'm open to being pleasantly surprised, but I just don't expect to be.

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
This is going to be a great game! The Bucs need to go into the game confident, and their heads on straight. They will also need to have respect for Miami in order to beat them. Last year was a rebuilding year Super Jon. What is your deal anyway? You are always talking crap about us and no other team in the conference turn the page and move on. If you think we are so bad than why do you even bother wasting your energy. The more crap you talk about us the more I think you actually might be afraid of us. Liberty has a good team, we are looking forward to shutting your fans up this year.

Here's a question: Why are all the Liberty fans so obnoxious?

You guys have such an inferiority complex it's hilarious. He asked a question. I gave facts to back up my basis to think that you guys had no chance. If there was something going for you that I thought gave you a chance, I would've said it. Last year may have been a "rebuilding" year but you still have an unproven quarterback going into the biggest game in the history of the school. Miami may have been bad last year, but they're still an ACC school.

Libertine
August 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
CSU has depth on the Oline and Dline that they have never had before.

So you have two extra fat guys this year? xsmiley_wix

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Dear CSU Fans:

If you note, at the end of his statement, there is a smiley. That means that what he said was a tongue in cheek joke and not a shot at the school.

Libertine
August 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Just stating bare facts here. CSU was outscored 91-12 at home in two games last season against Liberty and Coastal Carolina, and yet everyone is supposed to believe that the Bucs have all of a sudden turned a corner and will go down and compete with Miami?

Adjusted for emphasis.

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Miami- 38
CSU- 10

813Jag
August 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Better hope TT doesn't see this thread. xreadx

Bull Fan
August 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
20 years ago, it would have been an embarassing matchup. It will be an embarassing matchup in 2008. This isn't an evenly-matched game to begin with; the second-stringers are still worlds above what CSU will bring to the table.

It's still Miami, and it's still CSU. This game could end up at 77-3.

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
This game could end up at 77-3.

That would be fun for me!

CCU97
August 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'll take Miami and the spread in this one....Other than 05 CSU hasn't done much in football....they have a good coach but getting the players to want to come play at a middle school level facility is difficult and he has done the best with what he has to offer them. Miami in a laugher on Saturday because we all know they will run the score up on a team just to look better than they actually are....

JMU DUUUKES
August 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
NO, but don't embarrass me CSU cause I try to convince everybody here how legit 1AA is, i'll be at Dolphins Stadium by 3pm tailgating .... if you get BLOWN out of the water my argument gets a lot harder

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I'll take Miami and the spread in this one....Other than 05 CSU hasn't done much in football....they have a good coach but getting the players to want to come play at a middle school level facility is difficult and he has done the best with what he has to offer them. Miami in a laugher on Saturday because we all know they will run the score up on a team just to look better than they actually are....

Thursday, and when have you ever seen Miami run up a score?

I'm assuming this is more ignorance of the Miami program.

What, next you going to talk about the thug program, and how many guys they've had arrested lately?

Hoseinexile07
August 26th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Not trying to hate on CSU, but in all honesty, the only shot CSU has against Miami is a shot at keeping the margin of victory under 35 points. Some CSU fans are under this impression that because they improved, they'll be better. But Miami players improved, too. The talent level at Miami is light years ahead of CSU's. Miami is a venerated football program that, admittedly, has somewhat been on a downward slide as of late. Jay Mills may be doing a great job in North Charleston, but he's got a long way to go before the Bucs have even a half-legitimate shot at beating Miami in their house.

Contrary to the belief of some CSU fans, Appalachian's upset of Michigan last season DOESN'T somehow make it any easier for any I-AA squad just saunter into a I-A program's house and win. Appalachian's accomplishment was astounding last season, but we're talking about CSU, the Buccaneers of the Big South Conference, whose greatest achievement in football EVER was a split title with Coastal Carolina and no trip to the playoffs. Granted, there was no auto-bid that season, but CSU has yet to prove they can compete and win in I-AA football on the national stage. They don't have the talent, the resources, or the famous legacy to draw solid recruits to their program, which is a major way to upgrade the chance of such a monumental upset from "a cold week in hell" to "a shot in the dark" status. Although this upset is possible, so is a UFO landing on top of my apartment tonight. Sorry, Bucs fans, but there's no way you win this game. You can only hope to keep it manageable by half-time.

MarkCCU
August 26th, 2008, 04:12 PM
In a word:

Nope

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I think it's become apparent I'm a huge Canes fan, so I obviously do not want to see any type of close game. Canes play florida in week 2, and Tex A & M week four, coupled with the suspensions, I'm just envisioning a sloppy effort Thursday.

Missouri St. is my alma mater, Canes have been in my heart since I was four years old.

BJuice
August 26th, 2008, 05:20 PM
If any of you watched every CSU home game in person last season and paid any amount of attention to the program last year (which I know none of you did, since we are so "irrelevant"), you would know that the Buccaneers suffered several season long injuries to key players at critical positions on the field. That partially has helped our depth this year.

The other factor that added to the struggles from last year was (in my opinion) two quaterbacks that were not capable of leading the team. It looked like neither one of them was able to grasp the offense at any point last year.

Bring back those experienced veteran players, now healthy, to key positions on the field. Bring in an ACC quarterback. Yes, he hasn't had game experience, but he has been practicing with and playing against a top tier ACC team for three years.

I am hoping that CSU wins of course. But, I also understand what we are up against. I am ready to say it can happen. Will it happen? Only the coaches and players on the field can determine that.

Several Clemson fans that have told me they wouldn't be surpsised to see CSU win behind the leadership from former Tiger Tribble Reese.

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
The other factor that added to the struggles from last year was (in my opinion) two quaterbacks that were not capable of leading the team. It looked like neither one of them was able to grasp the offense at any point last year.

Bring back those experienced veteran players, now healthy, to key positions on the field. Bring in an ACC quarterback. Yes, he hasn't had game experience, but he has been practicing with and playing against a top tier ACC team for three years.

The other quarterbacks couldn't grasp the offense in the matter of three or four years but you expect Reese to in a matter of a month just because he held a clipboard at Clemson? That's mighty high expectations for a guy who is more known for being pictured on a gay website licking a guy's nipple than playing quarterback to live up to.

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
And don't think just because someone doesn't think you're a "threat" doesn't mean they don't follow your program. Some of us on here read every article written about every team in the conference.

g-webb1994
August 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Politely, no chance in hell.

CSU may keep it close for awhile if the CoCanes come out and are looking ahead to their trip to the Swamp next weekend. The Cocanes had a huge top ten recruiting class. Their team speed will eventually eat CSU alive.

UM 52
CSU 13

Hoseinexile07
August 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
That's mighty high expectations for a guy who is more known for being pictured on a gay website licking a guy's nipple than playing quarterback to live up to.

Seriously? Wow.

PantherRob82
August 26th, 2008, 06:50 PM
No shot.

89Hen
August 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm not going to read this whole thread and no disrespect to our couple Chuck So fans, but, was this a serious question? xconfusedx

Miami loves to pile on I-AA's.

Miami 51 - FAMU 10
Miami 63 - FAMU 17
Miami 61 - McNeese 14
Miami 57 - FAMU 3
Miami 52 - The Citadel 6

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Seriously? Wow.

http://boifromtroy.com/?m=200610&paged=2

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2232/image001tf2.jpg

Thank you chucksouthfans.com

BJuice
August 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
The other quarterbacks couldn't grasp the offense in the matter of three or four years but you expect Reese to in a matter of a month just because he held a clipboard at Clemson?

Some people are just smarter than others.

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I can handle that, but is it fair to put those expectations on a guy who has been on campus a month?

LehighFan11
August 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Ok guys nice try. Miami may have been terrible last year and they may be missing a bunch of players, but the talent level isn't even close. Miami would win this game if it was only CSU's offense v. Miami's defense. CSU may hang through the first quarter but after the booze from last night wears off Miami will be good to go.

Hoseinexile07
August 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM
http://boifromtroy.com/?m=200610&paged=2

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2232/image001tf2.jpg

Thank you chucksouthfans.com

Thanks. I could have done without the visual, though.

813Jag
August 26th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think it's become apparent I'm a huge Canes fan, so I obviously do not want to see any type of close game. Canes play florida in week 2, and Tex A & M week four, coupled with the suspensions, I'm just envisioning a sloppy effort Thursday.

Missouri St. is my alma mater, Canes have been in my heart since I was four years old.
With a trip the Swamp looming, the Canes have to look sharp. I'm eager to see Jacory Harris play college ball, since my homeboy (Marve) has messed up. Plus I'm expecting some payback from the Noles if they have enough players by that point in the season. xlolx

I've seen more Canes fans on this board than I have in my 4 years in Florida.

Bearvision
August 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
With a trip the Swamp looming, the Canes have to look sharp. I'm eager to see Jacory Harris play college ball, since my homeboy (Marve) has messed up. Plus I'm expecting some payback from the Noles if they have enough players by that point in the season. xlolx

I've seen more Canes fans on this board than I have in my 4 years in Florida.

Canes beat the Noles again this year.

Wasn't totally serious in my question, no...but it is a 1AA board, so I wanted to hear from some CSU fans. A close game would disappoint me greatly.

bluehenbillk
August 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM
The pope has a better shot of converting to a Muslim than this being a single digit game.

CSU Girl
August 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Say what you will, it will be an awesome game!

Hoseinexile07
August 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Say what you will, it will be an awesome game!

Awesome in the way that the Hurricanes will absolutely crush the Buccaneers? You can't mean that it will be an awesome game in the sense of a tight game in which the lead changes multiple times and is finally ended with a 50 yard field goal as time expires. I'm saying what I will: CSU has virtually no chance of keeping Miami's lead anywhere under insurmountable.

It'll sure be awesome for the Miami 3rd stringers and the scout team, as they'll actually get to play and knock heads around instead of holding clipboards and sitting on the bench.

Bearvision
August 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Awesome in the way that the Hurricanes will absolutely crush the Buccaneers? You can't mean that it will be an awesome game in the sense of a tight game in which the lead changes multiple times and is finally ended with a 50 yard field goal as time expires. I'm saying what I will: CSU has virtually no chance of keeping Miami's lead anywhere under insurmountable.

It'll sure be awesome for the Miami 3rd stringers and the scout team, as they'll actually get to play and knock heads around instead of holding clipboards and sitting on the bench.

I chuckled...

CSUbucFan
August 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
hoseinexcile why so much trash talk? what have the blue hoes ever done? Yea you guys used to beat us around all the time, but last time i checked CSU has not had a problem with you guys. Also to all you haters, have any of you all actually played college football? Anything can happen, and yes CSU has improved from last year, a lot! They had a very good recruiting class and a couple of D-1 transfers so all you people saying how we are gonna suck again need to back up off.

SuperJon
August 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
hoseinexcile why so much trash talk? what have the blue hoes ever done? Yea you guys used to beat us around all the time, but last time i checked CSU has not had a problem with you guys. Also to all you haters, have any of you all actually played college football? Anything can happen, and yes CSU has improved from last year, a lot! They had a very good recruiting class and a couple of D-1 transfers so all you people saying how we are gonna suck again need to back up off.

Things wrong with this post:

a) Charleston Southern was already "D-1." You got "FBS" transfers.

b) Have we played college football? What does that matter? Most of us haven't coached, recruited, or been in an athletic administrative staff either but we question things like that.

c) CSU has had a problem with PC. It's called beating them consistently.

d) All of the haters? Just because we use common sense and reasoning skills doesn't mean we're haters.

CID1990
August 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
The answer to this thread is.....

No.

g-webb1994
August 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM
CSU does have some hot cheerleaders.xthumbsupx

csubuccaneers
August 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
We are going to shock the world!xbeerchugx xazzx xeekx xhypedx

CoastalFan2005
August 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
The answer to this question is: "Not only no, but HEEEEEELLLL NO!"

Seriously - CSU has about as much chance of beating Miami as Ralph Nader does of becoming the POTUS. This question shouldn't have been asked.

The more crap you talk about us the more I think you actually might be afraid of us.

Nobody's afraid of CSU. Especially not Liberty, considering how badly they kicked CSU's xazzx last year. xcoolx

We are going to shock the world!xbeerchugx xazzx xeekx xhypedx

If by "shock" you mean "lose by a lot of points," then yes, I agree!

IaaScribe
August 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
OH NO! DID SOMEONE PLAY THE "YOU DIDN'T PLAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL CARD?"

CSU has the most delusional fan base in FCS football. Seriously. If you lose 41-10 to Miami tomorrow, you should consider it an accomplishment.

813Jag
August 28th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Well looks like I found a game to watch tonight. C'mon CSU shock the 'Canes. xlolx xcoolx

CoastalFan2005
August 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Charleston Southern: 7

Miami (FL): 52

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/boxscore?gameId=200808280011

xcoffeex

elcid96
August 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I was shocked to CSU score a TD. That must have really made the canes upset.

PantherRob82
August 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
no more threads about csu getting wins over fbs opponents.

SuperJon
August 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
You guys are such haters. Just because the score says they got killed doesn't mean they're not good. They just had some unfortunate breaks.

PantherRob82
August 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM
i'm pretty sure they are not good. they aren't even a top 2 in an unproven big south conf.

SuperJon
August 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I was being sarcastic.

g-webb1994
August 28th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Well, I said 52-13, pretty close.

G-W played like absolute crap in Cookeville, TN tonight by the way, Tenn Tech 28, G-W 12.:(

CSU Girl
August 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM
CSU has the most delusional fan base in FCS football. Seriously. If you lose 41-10 to Miami tomorrow, you should consider it an accomplishment.[/QUOTE]

Tried and True! GO CSU GO!

Bucs came out of the game healthy and ready to take on Wofford.

CSU Girl
August 29th, 2008, 08:21 AM
OH NO! DID SOMEONE PLAY THE "YOU DIDN'T PLAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL CARD?"

CSU has the most delusional fan base in FCS football. Seriously. If you lose 41-10 to Miami tomorrow, you should consider it an accomplishment.

Tried and True! GO CSU GO!

Bucs came out of the game healthy and ready to take on Wofford.

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM
This question shouldn't have been asked.

The question sparked 7 pages of talk in a slow period...plus I had an interest in the game. No reason to be one of those posters. This board is too good for that.

citdog
August 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM
WHO THINKS WOFFORD WILL BEAT LADSON BAPTIST WORSE THAN MIAMI?

I DO.

MIAMI IS NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM AND CSU LOOKED

PATHETIC.

BACK TO PLAYING THAT "SECOND FIDDLE" CSU!

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I was shocked to CSU score a TD. That must have really made the canes upset.

It was a lucky out of the hat TD...their QB was rolling out getting ready to get crushed and threw up a lameduck, "sea of hands" type pass that found a guy in the back of the end zone.

I was not happy...

CSU Girl
August 29th, 2008, 08:42 AM

I DO.

PATHETIC.

Miami only had the best recruit class in the country. And one of the best defenses in the country. And CSU scored on them.

SuperJon
August 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Miami only had the best recruit class in the country. And one of the best defenses in the country. And CSU scored on them.

Was it still an awesome game though?

813Jag
August 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM
It was a lucky out of the hat TD...their QB was rolling out getting ready to get crushed and threw up a lameduck, "sea of hands" type pass that found a guy in the back of the end zone.

I was not happy...
Since I'm too lazy to start a new thread, does Harris start against the Gates or does Shannon start Marve? I'd think you go with Harris he's got game experience. Marve in the Swamp = trouble. Too bad teams can't tie any more. xlolx xlolx

CSUBUCDAD
August 29th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Bucs took a not so surprising thumping, but I think Mills learned some things that will help down the road.

citdog
August 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM

7PTS AND YOU'RE BRAGGING!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AT LEAST YOU'LL BE HOME SOON TO PLAY IN FRONT OF YOUR 450 FANS!

Franks Tanks
August 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM

First of all Miami is Mediocre. SI has them ranked as the 46th best team in the country and nobody put them anywhere near the top 25. The recruiting class may be good but they werent even playing.

You think scoring one touchdown is a victory?? xlolx That is the most pathetic thing ive ever heard-- this is major college football not youth soccer.

CSU Girl
August 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Was it still an awesome game though?

Yes! I wish we could have done more with the ball, I would like to see what our new QB has in him. But the Miami D is great and fast. No one got hurt, we had some momentum in the 3rd qtr right before we scored. Our D woke up but Miami's Oline was great. I dont know if I think their true fresh QB is that great, I think the Oline gave him alot of time and made him look great.

The experience for the team was great. CSU has 44 FL boys on the team. Their families were able to come see them play in Dolphin's stadium against Miami.

Libertine
August 29th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I wish we could have done anything with the ball,...

Fixed that for you. xsmiley_wix

CSUBUCDAD
August 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM

I DO.

PATHETIC.

This from a fan of a team that would rather play lowly Webber International than step up and play us. Now that is pathetic.

ASUG8
August 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM
CSU will not beat Miami-

Sincerely,

The Friday Morning QB:D

citdog
August 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM
This from a fan of a team that would rather play lowly Webber International than step up and play us. Now that is pathetic.

PLAYING YOU IS NOT A STEP UP...IT'S A STEP DOWN.....WE DON'T WANT ALL THE NORTH CHARLESTON WHITE TRASH IN OUR NEW STADIUM. YOU'RE AN AFTERTHOUGHT IN YOUR OWN CITY. PATHETIC IS GETTING YOUR ASS HANDED TO YOU BY A PISS POOR MIAMI TEAM.

PantherRob82
August 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I was being sarcastic.

Smilies, Jon, Smilies.

SuperJon
August 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I feel weird using smilies. I don't like them.

CoastalFan2005
August 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. (http://www.clichesite.com/content.asp?which=tip+2144)

xrolleyesx

CoastalFan2005
August 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
The question sparked 7 pages of talk in a slow period...plus I had an interest in the game. No reason to be one of those posters. This board is too good for that.

Hate to say it, but you obviously don't know anything about CCU & CSU, nor do you know anything about how most (sometimes all) CSU fans on this board act like their team is second only to God himself. xreadx xcoffeex xpeacex

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Since I'm too lazy to start a new thread, does Harris start against the Gates or does Shannon start Marve? I'd think you go with Harris he's got game experience. Marve in the Swamp = trouble. Too bad teams can't tie any more. xlolx xlolx

Not a chance, Marve is the better player.

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hate to say it, but you obviously don't know anything about CCU & CSU, nor do you know anything about how most (sometimes all) CSU fans on this board act like their team is second only to God himself. xreadx xcoffeex xpeacex

Nope. Didn't even know there was a school named that until Miami scheduled them after North Texas backed out...

I'm a huge Miami fan, but I also follow Missouri St. football since I attend Grad school there. This is a 1AA board, CSU is a 1AA team...thought it made sense to start a thread about the game.

Didn't realize how little talent they actually had. Really, the only part of that team that was decent was they had a few DT's who held their ground well.

I've read the board for a while (mostly the former Gateway threads), and usually people are pretty respectful of opinions etc. as long as it is on topic. This seemed on topic to me...

Woof
August 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
No one got hurt ? xconfusedx

I bet the kid that was on the receiving end of this block during Miami's punt return would beg to differ !xdohx

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?categoryId=2564308&brand=null&videoId=3559005&n8pe6c=1

Yes! I wish we could have done more with the ball, I would like to see what our new QB has in him. But the Miami D is great and fast. No one got hurt, we had some momentum in the 3rd qtr right before we scored. Our D woke up but Miami's Oline was great. I dont know if I think their true fresh QB is that great, I think the Oline gave him alot of time and made him look great.

The experience for the team was great. CSU has 44 FL boys on the team. Their families were able to come see them play in Dolphin's stadium against Miami.

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
First of all Miami is Mediocre. SI has them ranked as the 46th best team in the country and nobody put them anywhere near the top 25. The recruiting class may be good but they werent even playing.

You know very little about Miami's recruiting class my friend...13 true freshmen were in the two deep last night, and every freshman not being redshirted played yesterday. I believe 17 if them...

Louisville started #9 in SI rankings last year...how'd that work out for them. Pre-season polls are as useless as boobs on a boar, and I imagine we both know that...

CoastalFan2005
August 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Nope. Didn't even know there was a school named that until Miami scheduled them after North Texas backed out...

I'm a huge Miami fan, but I also follow Missouri St. football since I attend Grad school there. This is a 1AA board, CSU is a 1AA team...thought it made sense to start a thread about the game.

I've read the board for a while (mostly the former Gateway threads), and usually people are pretty respectful of opinions etc. as long as it is on topic. This seemed on topic to me...

xconfusedx

The question was: "Anyone think Charleston Southern has a shot against the U Thursday?" You didn't even know that CSU existed until they played Miami...but my assessment that your question was ridiculous made me "one of those posters?"

I'm respectful of opinions, but if you're going to sit here and admit you know nothing about Charleston Southern, then I don't see how you can tell me that I don't need to be "one of those posters" when I know what I'm talking about. Considering CSU is in the same conference as my team and considering my team has a 4-1 record against them (and, in our series to date, my team has scored 203 points to their 95), I think I know a bit more about the possibility of CSU having a shot against Miami than you might. Not trying to be rude, just trying to state a fact. xpeacex

Perhaps next time come with "how do you know my question is ridiculous" rather than "no reason to be one of those posters." xthumbsupx xpeacex

(PS - just for your reference, we're called FCS now, not I-AA [never was 1AA], xnodx)

CSU Girl
August 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM
No one got hurt ? xconfusedx

I bet the kid that was on the receiving end of this block during Miami's punt return would beg to differ !xdohx

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?categoryId=2564308&brand=null&videoId=3559005&n8pe6c=1

I spoke to a coach this morning, all players are healthy.

813Jag
August 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Not a chance, Marve is the better player.
I don't know right now the only thing IMO, Marve has on Harris is age and size. Both were great QB's in High School. Marve improvised more and had lots of broken plays, the QB that followed him in high school is allowed to do the same thing. He (Aaron Murray) committed to UGA. Good luck to both of those guys as they battle for the QB spot.

CSUBUCDAD
August 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Got the same report. Nothing out of the ordinary post game bumps and bruises you get no matter who you are playing.

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Your post made absolutely zero sense...so, asking the question about a team having a chance against a team, "no offense I know more about than you do" seems to make perfect sense.

What I was hoping, was instead of getting a little lip, was for someone to tell me why a team wouldn't be able to have a chance against a team missing 7 starters due to suspension or injury, playing a QB for his first game in college (as an 18 y/o), and having 13 frosh in their two deeps.

You seem to be a little upset someone called you out for being snippy when there was no reason to be, and realize when someone is asking a question about a team, most of the time we'll fully understand others will know more about the team they're asking about. So keep your underwear in check about your name, as your own coaches still call it 1-AA (with or without your precious hyphen)...so, instead I say, there's no reason to be not one of "those" posters, but rather there's no reason to be one of the posters you "are."

xpeacex

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I don't know right now the only thing IMO, Marve has on Harris is age and size. Both were great QB's in High School. Marve improvised more and had lots of broken plays, the QB that followed him in high school is allowed to do the same thing. He (Aaron Murray) committed to UGA. Good luck to both of those guys as they battle for the QB spot.

Well, none of us know for sure on the football field, as they haven't played much, but Marve beat Harris out over the entire spring and summer football camps, so I feel he has demonstrated to be the better player at this time.

Jacory left some plays on the field last night, believe it or not.

BJuice
August 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
It's all about perspective. Let's keep this in perspective.

Did I predict a CSU win? No, I think that would have been absolutely foolish. Did I expect us to compete? Absolutely, because I know what kind of leader we have at the helm of CSU football. He is an outstanding coach and has a vision for CSU football. And, we did. Did I expect a little more from CSU? Maybe, and that is good as a Charleston Southern fan and alum.

It is all about building a program. This is one of the building blocks in the future of our program. Coach Mills knows what he is doing and has the proper perspective on last night:

Despite the offensive struggles, Head Coach Jay Mills was still pleased with what he saw out of his team. “I think that both programs, us as we try to achieve national prominence at the FCS level, and Miami as they try to restore national prominence at the FBS level, are headed in the right direction,” said Mills.

Hurricanes Storm Past Bucs 52-7
(http://csusports.athleticsite.com/article.asp?articleID=2654)

Three positive things about last night. We stayed healthy. We got a check. National exposure.

This will be the toughest game on the CSU schedule. It just gets easier from here.

The schedule gets easier + the team will get better = Successful season

GOOOOO BUCS!!!

CoastalFan2005
August 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Your post made absolutely zero sense...so, asking the question about a team having a chance against a team, "no offense I know more about than you do" seems to make perfect sense.

How did my post make "absolutely zero sense?" xconfusedx

The answer to this question is: "Not only no, but HEEEEEELLLL NO!"

Seriously - CSU has about as much chance of beating Miami as Ralph Nader does of becoming the POTUS. This question shouldn't have been asked.

I think I pretty clearly stated my opinion. If it doesn't make sense to you, I'm not sure how to make it much more clear.

What I was hoping, was instead of getting a little lip, was for someone to tell me why a team wouldn't be able to have a chance against a team missing 7 starters due to suspension or injury, playing a QB for his first game in college (as an 18 y/o), and having 13 frosh in their two deeps.

Okay, then I'll tell you why I think they didn't have a chance:

1) CSU has only ever won .5 Big South Conference Championships (yes, that's .5). Usually, they are near the middle-to-bottom of the conference standings every year.

2a) Last season, CSU only won one game against a Big South Conference member (VMI, who is arguably the only team worse than CSU in the BSC). They also defeated Presbyterian (who joins the Big South this year) in Presby's transitional year from Div. II to Div. I-FCS.

2b) Against Liberty and Coastal Carolina (last year's top 2 teams in the BSC), CSU lost 50-10 and 41-2, respectively (and CCU had a losing season, the first in school history). In total conference play, CSU scored 102 points...the rest of the BSC, 172.

3) In their last game vs. and FBS opponent, Hawaii, CSU lost 66-10.

That list of things (as well as personal observations over the five years I've been paying any attention to CSU) led me to my belief that CSU, a bottom-dweller of the BSC, stood absolutely zero chance against Miami (FL), a school that is traditionally a household name when it comes to college football.

You seem to be a little upset someone called you out for being snippy when there was no reason to be...

How did I get "snippy?" Because I said this?

To which you responded:

So I called you out for seeming like you didn't know anything about CSU, you confirmed that I was right, and I'm being "snippy?" xconfusedx

Besides, was there every any reason to get "snippy" with me by saying:

No reason to be one of those posters.

I don't think so.

I don't think I was "snippy" before (sorry if you took it that way), but I will be a bit "snippy" now. Plenty of other people on this thread have called the topic of this thread "pointless" or "ridiculous" (or have made some other generalized comment as to the uselessness of asking), and I didn't see you get on their backs about it. xcoffeex

Anyway...

So keep your underwear in check about your name, as your own coaches still call it 1-AA (with or without your precious hyphen)...

I'm sorry, I made the mistake of trying to help you further your knowledge of our level of football. I'll certainly refrain from trying to be of help to you in the future. xthumbsupx

so, instead I say, there's no reason to be not one of "those" posters, but rather there's no reason to be one of the posters you "are." xpeacex

Now, if there ever were a comment that didn't make sense...this would be it. xnodx

xpeacex

EDIT:

Wasn't totally serious in my question, no...

You know you didn't ask a serious question, but you jumped on my back when I didn't give you a serious answer? WTF? xconfusedx

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The one, and only reason, you were called out is for your judging of other's questions, which you already know is uncalled for...you should just apologize and move on my friend. A question that sparked many pages of debate etc.

Most of your replies don't make sense as it is...

CoastalFan2005
August 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
The one, and only reason, you were called out is for your judging of other's questions, which you already know is uncalled for...you should just apologize and move on my friend. A question that sparked many pages of debate etc.

Most of your replies don't make sense as it is...

xbangx

Bearvision, you've got a tough road ahead of you on this website if you're getting so offended by me saying something as simple as "this question never should have been asked." I'd advise you never to visit the Poli Lounge. xnodx

Seriously, though, I don't need to apologize for anything. You jumped all over me for saying your question was pointless, but didn't jump all over SuperJon when he answered your question with "CSU has about as much chance of winning as I have of losing 50lbs. by 6am." I won't apologize for doing something other people have also done and not gotten blasted by you for. xsmhx

If my replies don't make sense to you, sorry - but I can't make them any simpler for you to understand. xpeacex xcoffeex

CSUbucFan
August 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Liberty 0 - UCONN 59
i think miami is a bit better than UCONN a few years back?

CoastalFan2005
August 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Liberty 0 - UCONN 59
i think miami is a bit better than UCONN a few years back?

2005 was also the year Liberty went 1-10...I'm not sure their 2005 season is a good example of Big South performance vs. FBS teams, considering the Flames were pretty much dismal against most of their opponents that year.

g-webb1994
August 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Very little talk around here about Coastal up in Happy Valley tomorrow. I'd say Coastal will keep it within 20, pick....PSU 34 CCU 17.

Any reason Liberty is not playing an FBS school this year?

JohnStOnge
August 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Is it too late to say, "No?"

Screamin_Eagle174
August 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
No. In response to John's query, and the thread title. End of story.

IaaScribe
August 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Funny you bring that UConn game up. I was there for it, and watching the highlights on ESPN last night of CSU reminded me of that game. Liberty was completely unprepared and unready to play that game. Shouldn't have been on the same field. That game looked like a varsity team playing a JV. And the score reflected it. UConn actually could have won it 80-0 had it kept trying. But Randy Edsall has a little class, I suppose.

(Also, I think that UConn team won five games, which is about all this Miami team will win.)

CSU looked a lot like that Liberty team did ... completely overmatched. Didn't look like they belonged on the same field. Now I'm not going to predict 1-10 for CSU. That Liberty team was broken beyond repair under the former coaching regime. In fact, it needed a fourth-quarter comeback to beat DII Concord the week before at home. I commented to one of LU's staffers that they had the worst FCS team in the country at the time, and he agreed. But I'll be stunned if CSU isn't an ugly 0-3 going into the bye week, considering there's still Wofford and another FBS to play.

IaaScribe
August 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Very little talk around here about Coastal up in Happy Valley tomorrow. I'd say Coastal will keep it within 20, pick....PSU 34 CCU 17.

Any reason Liberty is not playing an FBS school this year?

They wanted seven home games and the AD wasn't interested in playing an FBS unless they had a chance to win the game, kind of like Toledo last year. None of those games were available.