PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette: Setting Priorities

carney2
August 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Lafayette head coach,Frank Tavani, long recognized as a master motivator, has installed two large digital “countdown clocks” in the locker room for all to see. One counts down the days, hours, minutes and seconds to the next game. Message: One game at a time, and every game is important. The other counts down those same days, hours, minutes and seconds to the Lehigh game. Message: Some games are more important than others.

Pard94
August 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM
That is terrific. I recently watched a special on HBO regarding the Michigan vs. Ohio rivalry and I was surprised to see how much Woody Hayes and Bo Schembeckler really despised their rival programs. I think it is safe to say the respected each other but they were unapologetic in their open disdain for each other's program.

I think the overwhelming desire that all things should be politically correct has led to (among a great many other things) a general attempt to "sissify" (political correctness be damned!) rivalries. It's almost gotten to the point where a Lafayette fan can't yell BEAT LEHIGH! without adding the qualifier that Lehigh is a fine institution with many great attributes, many of which run parrallel to those of Lafayette.

I'm glad to see Frank Tavani isn't buying into it. The fact of the matter is...Lehigh sucks. There's just not enough lipstick in the world to put on that pig. I hope they never win another game against us. There...I said it. And to all of the Mountain Hawks out there...feel free to think the same of Lafayette. (Even though you know it's not true). xnodx

Bull Fan
August 26th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Beautiful job done on the Lafayette facilities. Been out there a couple of times, and even before it was done over it was a great place to catch a game. Would imagine the new football building will be a boon for recruiting.

One thing with Lehigh- why the change from Engineers? Another great nickname gone by the wayside.

letsgopards04
August 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Frank is indeed a motivator. Although some criticize game decisions, he gets the big picture. I am concerned, maybe just superstition, that the black jerseys are going to get played out.

Lafayette head coach,Frank Tavani, long recognized as a master motivator, has installed two large digital “countdown clocks” in the locker room for all to see. One counts down the days, hours, minutes and seconds to the next game. Message: One game at a time, and every game is important. The other counts down those same days, hours, minutes and seconds to the Lehigh game. Message: Some games are more important than others.

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
That is terrific. I recently watched a special on HBO regarding the Michigan vs. Ohio rivalry and I was surprised to see how much Woody Hayes and Bo Schembeckler really despised their rival programs. I think it is safe to say the respected each other but they were unapologetic in their open disdain for each other's program.

The two coaches had a great deal of respect: Schembechler played under Hayes at Miami, got his grad degree at OSU, and was an assistant coach there before moving uo Michigan. They were friends off the field but each knew they had to overtake the other to win the Big Ten. Once, when OSU was running up the score on Michigan, Woody Hayes went for a two point conversion late. Asked why, he was reported to have said, "Because I couldn't go for three."

As to mutual respect among PL coaches, I can't say. As a fan, I've thought a handful of PL coaches did not respect playing Georgetown, but among the staffs that may (or may not) be the case.

ngineer
August 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Beautiful job done on the Lafayette facilities. Been out there a couple of times, and even before it was done over it was a great place to catch a game. Would imagine the new football building will be a boon for recruiting.

One thing with Lehigh- why the change from Engineers? Another great nickname gone by the wayside.

Student referendum back in the mid-1990's reflected the wish to have a 'mascot'. Hence they voted for "Mountain Hawks" as a play on Old South Mountain upon the academic campus sets, and the preponderance of Hawks in the area (world famous Hawk Mountain past which a huge raptor migration passes every year is about 30 miles to the west). "Engineers" are still listed as one of three nicknames (Brown & White being the other), but the 'newer generation" they are Mountain Hawks. Having graduated in 1974, I still consider myself an "Engineer" and still wear my "Engineer" stuff, but I don't mind the Mountain Hawk addition, and from a marketing standpoint, in today's world, it makes sense. A good number of programs have multiple nicknames/mascots:

Alabama Crimson Tide/Elephant
Auburn Tigers/War Eagles/Plainsmen
Yale Eli/Bulldogs
Penn Red & Blue/Quakers
Va. Tech Gobblers/Hokies
Virginia Wahoos/Cavaliers
Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets/Wramblin' Wreck
Cornell Big Red/Bears
Stanford Cardinal/Sequoia (?) Tree

There may be some others, but they immediately come to mind.

Oh, and BTW, Lafayette has always sucked. Ask George Washington;)

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM
[/B]
A good number of programs have multiple nicknames/mascots:
Alabama Crimson Tide/Elephant
Auburn Tigers/War Eagles/Plainsmen
Yale Eli/Bulldogs
Penn Red & Blue/Quakers
Va. Tech Gobblers/Hokies
Virginia Wahoos/Cavaliers
Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets/Wramblin' Wreck
Cornell Big Red/Bears
Stanford Cardinal/Sequoia (?) Tree

Alabama uses the elephant as a symbol but they are always referred to as the Crimson Tide (much like North Carolina has a Ram but are always the Tar Heels). "War Eagle" is a cheer and not a mascot.

Stanford's tree nonsense is the result of PC efforts to strip colleges of Indian imagery, such as Dartmouth, Marquette, Massachusetts, Syracuse, St. John's, etc.

Elon's name change was another matter entirely.

ngineer
August 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Alabama uses the elephant as a symbol but they are always referred to as the Crimson Tide (much like North Carolina has a Ram but are always the Tar Heels).

"War Eagle" is a cheer and not a mascot.

Stanford's tree nonsense is the result of PC efforts to strip colleges of Indian imagery (Dartmouth, Marquette, Massachusetts, Syracuse, St. John's, etc.)

Well, isn't a mascot a symbol of the school or team?? (i.e. Notre Dame has a Lepprechaun for the "Fighting Irish"). Alabama's mascot is an elephant as opposed to their nickname.
Auburn's War Eagle is indeed a mascot and VERY much alive. They have a Golden Eagle on the sidelines and he actually flies around the stadium on a tether (at least he did a few years ago).
Yes, Stanford's tree is ridiculous, but it is still a mascot. There are afew other schools with ridiculous mascots, but that's another thread.;)

Doc QB
August 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I was there for the name change arguments when they began. A LARGE part of it came from a vocal minority of the women's basketball team; because a suitable "Lady Vols-like" version of Engineers could not be realized, a push toward the new nickname began...this coincident with LU's administration wanted to, at least partially, DE-emphasize the grand tradition of excellence in engineeing education (I was a biology guy, but my dad a EE) and promote LU as a school with all things for all people.

That last fact, was something I think many alums (my old man included) are not happy with, as it strips Lehigh of some of its identity, much like no longer having Qbs lighting up the skies throwing the ball for a billion yards a year.

Funny thing is, all PC-ness aside, the women who hated the Engineers nickname, well, dare I say it, liked other women. Key Sienfeld here, "Not that there is anything wrong with that..." So, make of that what you will.

Doc QB
August 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I was there for the name change arguments when they began. A LARGE part of it came from a vocal minority of the women's basketball team; because a suitable "Lady Vols-like" version of Engineers could not be realized, a push toward the new nickname began...this coincident with LU's administration wanted to, at least partially, DE-emphasize the grand tradition of excellence in engineeing education (I was a biology guy, but my dad a EE) and promote LU as a school with all things for all people.

That last fact, was something I think many alums (my old man included) are not happy with, as it strips Lehigh of some of its identity, much like no longer having Qbs lighting up the skies throwing the ball for a billion yards a year.

Funny thing is, all PC-ness aside, the women who hated the Engineers nickname, well, dare I say it, liked other women. Key Sienfeld here, "Not that there is anything wrong with that..." So, make of that what you will.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM

My impression was always that it was the fact that Lehigh was trying to re-brand itself as a school with "a lot more than Engineering!" had more to do with it than anything. The Rausch business school was just opening, as well as Zoellner (I think).

I think the only thing everyone pretty much agreed with was that "Brown and White" just didn't hack it. That was packed up only a year or two after becoming the "official mascot".

Personally, though, I like the Mountain Hawk as a mascot. I remember once a Penn State person told me when I was an undergrad, "You don't know what you're missing without a mascot," and I happen to agree with him.

kardplayer
August 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM

I think the overwhelming desire that all things should be politically correct has led to (among a great many other things) a general attempt to "sissify" (political correctness be damned!) rivalries. It's almost gotten to the point where a Lafayette fan can't yell BEAT LEHIGH! without adding the qualifier that Lehigh is a fine institution with many great attributes, many of which run parrallel to those of Lafayette.

I'm glad to see Frank Tavani isn't buying into it. The fact of the matter is...Lehigh sucks. There's just not enough lipstick in the world to put on that pig. I hope they never win another game against us. There...I said it. And to all of the Mountain Hawks out there...feel free to think the same of Lafayette. (Even though you know it's not true). xnodx

OK, I'll think Lafayette sucks, and know that Lafayette isn't a "fine institution with many great attributes" xsmiley_wix

Pard94
August 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM
OK, I'll think Lafayette sucks, and know that Lafayette isn't a "fine institution with many great attributes" xsmiley_wix

That's the spirit! Delusional though you may be...it's got to feel good to get that off your chest. :)

Pards Rule
August 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM
When did "MountainHawks" become official? 1995??

ngineer
August 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM
When did "MountainHawks" become official? 1995??

Can't remember the exact year, but it was around then, or a year or so later (1995-97).