PDA

View Full Version : MSU names Kempt starter at QB

CatFan22
August 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM
http://msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=2739

Cody Kempt woke up Tuesday morning as MSU's starting quarterback...

Montana State has tabbed sophomore Cody Kempt to start Saturday's season opener against Adams State at quarterback, Bobcat coach Rob Ash indicated Tuesday morning.

Ash and his staff decided on the starter after Monday 's practice, the culmination of a positional battle that remained neck-and-neck since camp opened. "This was an excruciating decision for our staff, because both quarterbacks played extremely well in the entire pre-season camp," Ash said. "Their statistics for the three weeks of practice were almost exactly even, and they are both excellent leaders with an impressive understanding of the game. We have great confidence in both young men."

Ash indicated that both quarterbacks will play Saturday, and that he is happy to have a pair of quality quarterbacks. "Even though Cody will get the start, Mark Iddins will definitely see action in the opening game," Ash said.

CrazyCat
August 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I think they flipped a coin:)

Both Kempt and Iddins will see time in the first 3 - 4 games and a true starter will emerge on Oct. 4 against ISU. xtwocentsx

ncbears
August 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
But is Adams a good gage of how good they are? I know both qb's will play and Iddens will see the field by the 3rd quater, but the game will probably be out of hand by then.

cats2506
August 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM
But is Adams a good gage of how good they are? I know both qb's will play and Iddens will see the field by the 3rd quater, but the game will probably be out of hand by then.

KSU and Minn should be good test for both

CrazyCat
August 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM

I don't necessarily see Adams State as the gauge but if one of them plays well against Kansas State and Minnesota then the decision is easy.

DuckDuckGriz
August 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
This will be really interesting to watch! And since Oregon just lost another QB with Costa for a few weeks - we sure wouldn't mind Cody Kempt still hanging around Eugene xoopsx

GOKATS
August 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM

My guess is Iddins will see the field long before the third quarter. Ash said last week that it's a good QB battle and he doesn't wait until the game is decided until he switches, he wants to see how both QB's handle game pressure when the outcome is far from decided. He's also stated that he's not a coach who will say, "Ok, QB 'A' will play the first quarter, QB 'B' will play the second quarter, etc." He'll rotate them as he sees fit. I'd guess it may well be the 4th game before a true 'this is our guy' starter is decided. It's a great position to be in, Kempt and Iddins are both very good and head to head are pretty much a tie.

catbob
August 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Costa... is that the same Costa that was at PSU a few years ago?

Ivytalk
August 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM
If Kempt loses his starting job, does that make him...unkempt?xconfusedx

:p

DuckDuckGriz
August 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Costa... is that the same Costa that was at PSU a few years ago?

No I think he only a soph

CatFan22
August 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
If Kempt loses his starting job, does that make him...unkempt?xconfusedx

:p

Boooooooo! xcoolx