PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions---Week 1

JALMOND
August 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Normally I would do this on Wednesday, but with Weber State in action on Thursday, I decided to list it today. Gives us some more time for some good, enlightened discussion. Finally, let's play some football!!!

EWU @ Texas Tech---Week one of a scheduled two week foray into the Big 12 for the Eagles. The Red Raiders are being touted as possibly breaking the grip from Oklahoma and Texas for South Division supremacy. The Eagles are being touted as possibly breaking the grip from the Griz for the Big Sky supremacy. However, a little difference between the two conferences...Texas Tech 45, EWU 17.

ISU @ Boise State---This brings back memories of the rivalry between the Bengals and the Broncos when they were both in the Big Sky. The Broncos are trying to burst the BCS bowl system again, the Bengals are just trying to survive...Bose State 48, ISU 7.

Adams State @ MSU---Year two under Ash and many are hoping the Bobcats will rejoin the fight atop the conference this year. Very few (if any) off field problems meant Bobcat Nation got to enjoy spring football and seeing the new team. They should enjoy this...MSU 45, Adams State 7.

NAU @ Arizona State---Game one of the post Alex Watson era and the Lumberjacks make the short run down I-17 to Tempe to play Arizona State, ranked anywhere from 13-18 in the FBS preseason polls. Give the Jacks credit for playing the game, and they certainly will not roll over for the Sun Devils...Arizona State 51, NAU 10.

Western Oregon @ PSU---Glanville's second year with the Vikings starts off with a game against Mouse Davis' alma mater. Interesting storylines here (Western Oregon actually leads the series 13-9-1 although the teams haven't met since 1977), the least of which spring and fall practices have not yielded many set positions. Anything is possible in this game...PSU 37, Western Oregon 20.

Humboldt State @ Sac State---Is this the year the Hornets can start to make some noise within the conference? Opening with Humboldt State, from Eureka-Arcata, is a good start...Sac State 38, Humboldt State 6.

Montana-Western @ WSU---An interesting year possibly on tap for the Wildcats. Unlike the last few years, there is confidence on the team in regards to the offense, important to a team that has always prided themselves on their defense. Should not be much resistance from the NAIA Bulldogs...WSU 35, Mont-Western 7.

First week and I really am not going on much of a limb on any games. The PSU-Western Oregon game probably will be the closest of the bunch. I believe it would be a surprise if any others are close, but my opinion.

GeauxLions94
August 25th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Eastern Washington @ Texas Tech

Idaho State @ Boise State

Adams State @ Montana State

Northern Arizona @ Arizona State

Western Oregon @ Portland State

Humboldt State @ Sacramento State

Montana-Western @ Weber State

CopperCat
August 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
The two games to watch IMO are the EWU and NAU matches. First impressions mean a lot, and we may see what these two teams are made of out of the gate. Could be scary for the rest of the conference, maybe not. Everybody else (with the exception of ISU) has a tuneup game before they launch the bulk of the 08' campaign, so we'll see some plays being made in those games. Thanks for the analysis JAL, always good stuff!xnodx xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
August 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I say your picks are about right on. If we can hang 17-24 on Tech, we're running the table in conference play. That, and the Buffs better watch out in week 2!

mvemjsunpx
August 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Most of these picks seem pretty right on, but it is a no-brainer week. The only game with any sort of suspense seems to be WOU @ PSU; an upset is realistically possible there.

I do think Weber will beat UMW by a lot more than 28, though.

GOKATS
August 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Good analysis, nothing I would disagree with, scores will vary, but the outcome should be the same.xthumbsupx

CopperCat
August 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I say your picks are about right on. If we can hang 17-24 on Tech, we're running the table in conference play. That, and the Buffs better watch out in week 2!

Tech's offense is prolific, even moreso than EWU's. While I hope EWU can keep it close, don't be surprised if the game is over by midway through the third quarter.

UNCBears2010
August 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I'll be very surprised if EWU holds Texas Tech to 45 points. That's not meant as a slight to the Eagles in any way, I just think that the Red Raiders' offense is that good and there's a good portion of the Big 12 that will have trouble holding them to 45.

Jacks76
August 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Tech's offense is splendid. EWU will have trouble holding them down. I like EWU. I think they are a good Big Sky team. But they don't have a chance against Tech.

Paul

I Bleed Purple
August 29th, 2008, 06:20 AM
35-7 was way too low it turns out.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Tech's offense is splendid. EWU will have trouble holding them down. I like EWU. I think they are a good Big Sky team. But they don't have a chance against Tech.

Paul

We definitely had a chance... Tech's O was great, but our D gave them hell. If our receivers hadn't dropped/bobbled so many passes, we could have won this game, definitely.

JALMOND
August 31st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Normally I would do this on Wednesday, but with Weber State in action on Thursday, I decided to list it today. Gives us some more time for some good, enlightened discussion. Finally, let's play some football!!!

EWU @ Texas Tech---Week one of a scheduled two week foray into the Big 12 for the Eagles. The Red Raiders are being touted as possibly breaking the grip from Oklahoma and Texas for South Division supremacy. The Eagles are being touted as possibly breaking the grip from the Griz for the Big Sky supremacy. However, a little difference between the two conferences...Texas Tech 45, EWU 17.

ISU @ Boise State---This brings back memories of the rivalry between the Bengals and the Broncos when they were both in the Big Sky. The Broncos are trying to burst the BCS bowl system again, the Bengals are just trying to survive...Bose State 48, ISU 7.

Adams State @ MSU---Year two under Ash and many are hoping the Bobcats will rejoin the fight atop the conference this year. Very few (if any) off field problems meant Bobcat Nation got to enjoy spring football and seeing the new team. They should enjoy this...MSU 45, Adams State 7.

NAU @ Arizona State---Game one of the post Alex Watson era and the Lumberjacks make the short run down I-17 to Tempe to play Arizona State, ranked anywhere from 13-18 in the FBS preseason polls. Give the Jacks credit for playing the game, and they certainly will not roll over for the Sun Devils...Arizona State 51, NAU 10.

Western Oregon @ PSU---Glanville's second year with the Vikings starts off with a game against Mouse Davis' alma mater. Interesting storylines here (Western Oregon actually leads the series 13-9-1 although the teams haven't met since 1977), the least of which spring and fall practices have not yielded many set positions. Anything is possible in this game...PSU 37, Western Oregon 20.

Humboldt State @ Sac State---Is this the year the Hornets can start to make some noise within the conference? Opening with Humboldt State, from Eureka-Arcata, is a good start...Sac State 38, Humboldt State 6.

Montana-Western @ WSU---An interesting year possibly on tap for the Wildcats. Unlike the last few years, there is confidence on the team in regards to the offense, important to a team that has always prided themselves on their defense. Should not be much resistance from the NAIA Bulldogs...WSU 35, Mont-Western 7.

First week and I really am not going on much of a limb on any games. The PSU-Western Oregon game probably will be the closest of the bunch. I believe it would be a surprise if any others are close, but my opinion.

Well, I like 7-0 to start the season, but really these games were for the most part no brainers. Close on some of the scores (Boise 49, ISU 7-dang extra point). Next week more of a challenge, particularly with the Montana/Cal Poly game. I think I'll get the PSU game right, unless BYE has an awesome game.