PDA

View Full Version : New 40 Second Clock Rule

ngineer
August 25th, 2008, 04:33 PM
What are your views on the new play clock. Used to be 25 seconds from when the referee blew the ball live. Now, once a play is complete, the clock is automatically reset to 40 seconds that includes getting everyone back in the huddle and back up to the ball. Of course there are exceptions, as all rules have. My one concern is when there is a fumble and it takes the refs awhile to determine who has the ball. Do they whistle the play dead and then restart on with 25 seconds, or is the 40 second clock start running from the moment the play is over?xconfusedx

JayJ79
August 25th, 2008, 04:52 PM
What are your views on the new play clock. Used to be 25 seconds from when the referee blew the ball live. Now, once a play is complete, the clock is automatically reset to 40 seconds that includes getting everyone back in the huddle and back up to the ball. Of course there are exceptions, as all rules have. My one concern is when there is a fumble and it takes the refs awhile to determine who has the ball. Do they whistle the play dead and then restart on with 25 seconds, or is the 40 second clock start running from the moment the play is over?xconfusedx

The old 25-second clock (started when the ball is marked ready for play) is always used on change of possession, I think. So if the defending team recovers the fumble, then it would be the 25 second clock.

Otherwise, I suppose this rule might come into play:

In the event that the 40-second clock is running and the ball is not
ready to be snapped after 20 seconds into the count, the referee shall
declare a timeout and signal that the play clock be set at 25 seconds.
When play is to be resumed, the referee will give the ready-for-play
signal [S1] and the play clock shall begin the 25-second count. The
game clock will start on the snap unless it had been running when the
referee declared a timeout; in that case, it will start on the referee’s
signal (Rule 3-2-5-b).

PantherRob82
August 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I think it sucks

SonuvaHenx2
August 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Seems like this rule will just confuse the players and referees. Doesn't make much sense to me.

jonmac
August 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Don't think it will hurt us too much as we're on the ball and ready to play pretty quick anyway, since we don't huddle. It will be a bit different and something to get used to, that's for sure. I do think it seems that they're trying to fix something that isn't really broken.

turfdoc
August 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
It is another attempt to get more time to run off the clock and limit the number of plays in the game. That way the ABC and friends can cram more commercials in.

It used to be that the most amount of time between plays would be 32-33 seconds it rarely took more than 8 seconds to set the ball.

Next the the clock will be restart after being set into play after the ball is out run of bounds ala the NFL, More commercials less football....Its for the good of the game.

Cobblestone
August 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Seems like this rule will just confuse the players and referees. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Ditto!

Lionsrking
August 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Studies show that it will have the most impact on teams who run the QB a lot...under the old rule, most referees were pretty lenient on allowing the QB time to get back to the huddle and catch a breath before chopping in the 25-second clock...sometimes it would take over a minute to get the next play off after a long QB run...now, the 40-second clock will start as soon as the previous play is over...it will definitely take getting used to and may alter strategy by some teams.

turfdoc
August 25th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Studies show that it will have the most impact on teams who run the QB a lot...under the old rule, most referees were pretty lenient on allowing the QB time to get back to the huddle and catch a breath before chopping in the 25-second clock...sometimes it would take over a minute to get the next play off after a long QB run...now, the 40-second clock will start as soon as the previous play is over...it will definitely take getting used to and may alter strategy by some teams.

Now I am not sure if I have ever been to a game where it took over 1 minute to get the ball set. That being said the average time to set the ball in the MVC (gateway at the time) in the mid 90's was 7-8 seconds.

The NFl went to the rule to "speed up" games, in other words the clock will run longer between running plays than with the former 25 second clock. It is a way to replace football plays with commercials so the BCS conferences can make more money.

Lionsrking
August 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Now I am not sure if I have ever been to a game where it took over 1 minute to get the ball set. That being said the average time to set the ball in the MVC (gateway at the time) in the mid 90's was 7-8 seconds.

The NFl went to the rule to "speed up" games, in other words the clock will run longer between running plays than with the former 25 second clock. It is a way to replace football plays with commercials so the BCS conferences can make more money.

Never said it took a minute to get the ball set...I said at times, after a long run, especially by the QB, it would take over a minute from the time the previous play was over to get the next play off...now it's 40 seconds at most, and that's if you take it right down to zero...the QB will have to get back to the huddle quicker and the next play needs to get signaled in.

OL FU
August 26th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I don't know that I care one way or the other but why are they screwing the parts of the game that don't need to be screwed with.xrolleyesx

bluehenbillk
August 26th, 2008, 07:03 AM
If you wanna see refs completely change a game with this rule watch an early-season MEAC game. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

appfan2008
August 26th, 2008, 07:04 AM

uh oh i know a team that has a qb that runs a lot... xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
August 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I don't know that I care one way or the other but why are they screwing the parts of the game that don't need to be screwed with.xrolleyesx

xnodx i agree... why change it if it aint broke?

jmuroller
August 26th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Anytime there is a fumble and it is not immediately known that the offense recovered it, then the clock is stopped to either determine who recovered it, or have a change of possession.

jmuroller
August 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Next the the clock will be restart after being set into play after the ball is out run of bounds ala the NFL, More commercials less football....Its for the good of the game.

Actually...that rule is being changed also. The only time the clock will stop after being run out of bounds is the last 2 minutes of the game.

CamelCityAppFan
August 26th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Don't think it will hurt us too much as we're on the ball and ready to play pretty quick anyway, since we don't huddle. It will be a bit different and something to get used to, that's for sure. I do think it seems that they're trying to fix something that isn't really broken.

Actually, the downside for the spread offense teams (like ours) is that defenses get used to having to be ready to play quicker, make substitutions faster, etc, so the tempo advantage that is gained by running the spread is somewhat mitigated.

I agree that they are fixing something that isn't broken.

turfdoc
August 26th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Actually...that rule is being changed also. The only time the clock will stop after being run out of bounds is the last 2 minutes of the game.

You're kidding right, please say you are kidding.

They are taking away football plays to get in more commercials and what I do not understand is why we the fans put up with it.

The coaches, commentators all have an interest in cramming more commercials in $$$$$$

This annoys me to no end

turfdoc
August 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Actually, the downside for the spread offense teams (like ours) is that defenses get used to having to be ready to play quicker, make substitutions faster, etc, so the tempo advantage that is gained by running the spread is somewhat mitigated.

I agree that they are fixing something that isn't broken.

It is not quicker it is actually slower if the QB runs the play clock down.

ball gets whistled dead, 8 seconds ball gets set, 25 seconds the ball must be snapped (33 seconds to get the next play off). With the new rule teams will be able to run an extra 7 seconds off the clock. Its ludicrous.

EmeryZach
August 26th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Well, we'll see what happens this weekend.

cats2506
August 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Um there are 2 clocks, the 40 second play clock and the game clock.

When a player goes out of bounds the play clock will start immedietly, the game clock will start when the ref signals the ball is ready to play except in the final 2 minutes the game clock will start on the snap.

video explains how the clock will work
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/football/2008ACCGameClock.html

turfdoc
August 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Um there are 2 clocks, the 40 second play clock and the game clock.

When a player goes out of bounds the play clock will start immedietly, the game clock will start when the ref signals the ball is ready to play except in the final 2 minutes the game clock will start on the snap.

video explains how the clock will work
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/football/2008ACCGameClock.html

Just like the NFL. The great part about this rule change is most people will not notice it because they are not looking at the clock except in the final two minutes. This is the rule that eliminated roughly 10 plays a game from the NFL. It will be much harder to come back when you can run the ball out of bounds and the clock will restart after being set with 10 minutes left in the 4th.

Sad day for college football

Green26
August 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Doesn't this rule change just shorten the game?

It doesn't provide more time for commercials, does it?

Won't it actually decrease the number of commercials, because the game will be shorter?

Bud2003
August 26th, 2008, 10:30 AM
OMG!!!!! The only thing this play clock will change is inconsistencies with refs spotting the ball. That's all that's it!!! The game will flow much quicker like an NFL game.

The rule is more of a way to standardize time between "startages" of the 25 sec. play clock.

This is a good change.

turfdoc
August 26th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Doesn't this rule change just shorten the game?

It doesn't provide more time for commercials, does it?

Won't it actually decrease the number of commercials, because the game will be shorter?

Well if you schedule a game for a 4 hour time slot and you remove actual time broadcasting the game, the clock is running more therefore there are fewer plays, it allows you to put more commercials into that 4 hour time slot. less football more commercials.

OMG!!!!! The only thing this play clock will change is inconsistencies with refs spotting the ball. That's all that's it!!! The game will flow much quicker like an NFL game.

The rule is more of a way to standardize time between "startages" of the 25 sec. play clock.

This is a good change.

No it will reduce the number of plays in the game. At least the same rule change did in the NFL. If they were trying to deal with the inconsistencies with refs spotting the ball then they should have made it a 35 second clock because the average time to spot the ball is 8 seconds.

Now it may have less of an impact in the NCAA because QBs typically do not run the clock down as far as they do in the NFL, but it will mean fewer plays and easier time running the clock out at the end of a game.

the out of bounds thing will affect the number of plays too because you will have an extra 20 seconds running of the clock every time a player is goes out of bounds if it is not in the last 2 minutes of the half.

That might happen 15 times in a game? That's an extra 5 minutes of clock time running off when the teams are in the huddle.

Green26
August 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
turfdoc, where is it said the tv timeslot will not be reduced due to the shortened games--or tht the timeslot will remain at some set amount of time? I assume the main point of the rule change is to reduce overall time of the game and the gameslot. Hasn't there been some discussion that games have been dragging on too long--from a tv point of view?

Is there any evidence that the time period of timeouts and tv timeouts will be increased to allow for more commercials?

Is there any evidence that the time period of halftime will be increased, allowing more commericals?

I can't imagine that tv coverage will start sooner (i.e. before games) and end later (i.e. after games), to allow for more commercials at the beginning or the end. However, if this is the case, please provide some quotes indicating that that is the intention.

turfdoc
August 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM
turfdoc, where is it said the tv timeslot will not be reduced due to the shortened games--or tht the timeslot will remain at some set amount of time? I assume the main point of the rule change is to reduce overall time of the game and the gameslot. Hasn't there been some discussion that games have been dragging on too long--from a tv point of view?

Is there any evidence that the time period of timeouts and tv timeouts will be increased to allow for more commercials?

Is there any evidence that the time period of halftime will be increased, allowing more commericals?

I can't imagine that tv coverage will start sooner (i.e. before games) and end later (i.e. after games), to allow for more commercials at the beginning or the end. However, if this is the case, please provide some quotes indicating that that is the intention.

To cover you last point first, there are no quotes to state this is the intention because if they were public about it it wouldn't fly with the fan base.

The problem exists with the fact that a non-televised game is typically completed in a about 2.75 to 3 hours where as a televised game can take in excess of 4.5 hours. The difference being the commercial breaks.

Now we all agree that 4.5 hours for a football game is too long, the proper solution would be to limit the number and length of commercial breaks (they have gone from 2 minute 10 seconds in the 80's and 90's to an excess of 2 minutes 50 seconds in recent years).

The other solution is to keep the clock moving during the game (shorten the televised portion) which is what the NFL has done and the NCAA is trying to do. Check out the NFL score boxes they typically have 20-30 less plays a game than the college game. The major difference are these clock rules.

This past year when watching the bowls twice in a BCS bowl a teamed scored, tv time out, then the kick off and another tv time out. Just like they do in the NFL. It will become standard in the College game too. Thats roughly 6 minutes of commercials with one play sandwiched in the middle. in the NFL they made time for that by changing to a 40 second clock and restarting the clock after the ball is placed after going out of bounds.

ngineer
August 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Well if you schedule a game for a 4 hour time slot and you remove actual time broadcasting the game, the clock is running more therefore there are fewer plays, it allows you to put more commercials into that 4 hour time slot. less football more commercials.

No it will reduce the number of plays in the game. At least the same rule change did in the NFL. If they were trying to deal with the inconsistencies with refs spotting the ball then they should have made it a 35 second clock because the average time to spot the ball is 8 seconds.

Now it may have less of an impact in the NCAA because QBs typically do not run the clock down as far as they do in the NFL, but it will mean fewer plays and easier time running the clock out at the end of a game.

the out of bounds thing will affect the number of plays too because you will have an extra 20 seconds running of the clock every time a player is goes out of bounds if it is not in the last 2 minutes of the half.

That might happen 15 times in a game? That's an extra 5 minutes of clock time running off when the teams are in the huddle.

Problem is that the TV networks use THREE hour time slots for the games. THAT is the primary reason for this rule change to assure most games are done within three hours. (1-4 p.m.) (4-7 p.m.), (7-10 p.m.)

turfdoc
August 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Problem is that the TV networks use THREE hour time slots for the games. THAT is the primary reason for this rule change to assure most games are done within three hours. (1-4 p.m.) (4-7 p.m.), (7-10 p.m.)

They use three hour time slots for the NFL. They actually use 3.5 or 4 hour time slots for college football. 12-3:30pm with the next kick off at 4 or 4:15. Then the next at 8:15 etc...

The college game is going over their slots (due to increased commercials) and now they are trying to correct it by reducing the number of plays by having more time run off the clock when the teams are in the huddle.

hawkeye
August 26th, 2008, 03:04 PM

CORRECTION: That is the last 2 minutes of each half.

Ruling: The game clock will now start on the referee's signal and not on the snap following a play that goes out of bounds except for during the last two minutes of each half.

Bud2003
August 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM

The folks who made the changes expect to lose 4-6 plays per game.

ngineer
August 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
They use three hour time slots for the NFL. They actually use 3.5 or 4 hour time slots for college football. 12-3:30pm with the next kick off at 4 or 4:15. Then the next at 8:15 etc...

The college game is going over their slots (due to increased commercials) and now they are trying to correct it by reducing the number of plays by having more time run off the clock when the teams are in the huddle.

Ok--I see your point..I was think in terms of actual game time, which is about 3 hours.

turfdoc
August 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The folks who made the changes expect to lose 4-6 plays per game.

So they even know it will reduce the number of plays, I bet it reduces them a lot more than that.

Lionsrking
August 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
So they even know it will reduce the number of plays, I bet it reduces them a lot more than that.

Just because the actual time it takes to play the game will be reduced, doesn't necessarily mean the number of plays will be reduced..there are plenty of studies that show the number of plays may actually increase, not decrease...under the old rule, some referees (especially SEC) would take forever to chop the play clock in which made it tougher for uptempo, no-huddle teams to operate at a quick pace...now, they can go as fast as they want without having to wait for a slow referee...had they not changed the timing rule on out-of-bounds plays, the increase would have likely been significant...there will still be teams who like to milk clock but they'll still have to snap the ball within 40-seconds from the end of the previous play...under old rules, sometimes that would be 50-60 seconds from the previous play, depending on the officials...some were quicker than others.